Aberrant RPG - Space travel for the nova in you

BlueNinja

Btw, if your Q6 or higher, you can take Transmit with extras Broadband, Mastery, and Reduce Quantum. This allows you to do the Transmitting for zero cost, and is probably the best way to represent actual lightspeed+ travel.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't work.

The big issue is range. With 5 dots you have a range of 20,000 km (I think). Note that this is an "effect" thing and not a "range of power thing" so it's only doubled with Mastery. (The Range of this power is Self). So you get to do 40,000 km "hops" with this, and every hop requires an action. Assuming a combat action we end up with a maxium possible speed of 40K km per 3 seconds. That's IF you have enough dice to throw at it so that Transmit is always an instant power, and IF the ST lets you take "Broadband: Vaccum of Space".

I'm pretty sure this doesn't work.

The big issue is range. With 5 dots you have a range of 20,000 km (I think). Note that this is an "effect" thing and not a "range of power thing" so it's only doubled with Mastery. (The Range of this power is Self). So you get to do 40,000 km "hops" with this, and every hop requires an action. Assuming a combat action we end up with a maxium possible speed of 40K km per 3 seconds. That's IF you have enough dice to throw at it so that Transmit is always an instant power, and IF the ST lets you take "Broadband: Vaccum of Space".

Its not precisely accurate, but it comes closer than anything else to doing lightspeed. Particularly if you interpret it this way:

-When your jumps are 20000 km, then only one jump is needed to get anywhere on Earth anyway

-The time involved on a poor roll represents search time, not mandatory travel time

This gives you enough fudge to go with the idea your travelling at relativistic speeds. . . and once you have that fudge, you can adjust for circumstances.

Or, you can just create a L4 power "Lightspeed Travel."

Its not precisely accurate, but it comes closer than anything else to doing lightspeed.
Teleport is probably better.
-When your jumps are 20000 km, then only one jump is needed to get anywhere on Earth anyway
Exactly. Anywhere on the Earth. The moon is 384,401 km., so it takes 20 uses of Transmit to get there, assuming your medium somehow connects.
Or, you can just create a L4 power "Lightspeed Travel."
The problem is even lightspeed is pretty slow for getting to other planets and other star systems.

Lightspeed takes you to the next solar system in 4.3 years. Tricked up Teleport with Mastery and enough Mega-Perception can take you there in an instant.

I was assuming something on the order of a beefed up Hypermovement. Starts at c, goes up from there. Maybe, hmm. . . x10 for each dot above 1. That would mean Lightspeed Travel 5 would be 10000c, or enough to go from Earth to Alpha Centauri in about a day. Slower than teleport or warp at equivalent level, but it allows for multiple destinations in the duration, as well as the possibility of doing stuff while travelling ( I imagine a very large penalty to act on anything while moving that fast, and an equally large penalty to be hit by anything ).

Hmm. . . perhaps an intermediate, L3 power, "Ultramovement," which is a step between the two, to cover speeds above the hypersonic, and below the FTL?

I'm not entire sure on this, but I remember reading a sci-fi novel somewhere that mentioned destroying a planet's atmosphere by accelerating a cloud of dust particles to 80% of lightspeed. The impact burned off the atmosphere. So as a GM, I wouldn't allow any nova with any kind of sub-light speeds above Mach 10 to travel in an atmosphere. (Why that arbitrary number? I think that's reachable with Hypermovement+Mastery.)

Gotta be higher than that, my character can about hit mach 10, and he doesn't even have maxed out hypermovement, let alone mastery. Still, its a fair point.

OTOH, novas already ignore physical consequences of their powers in other ways ( the classic "bricks don't care about the object's durability they lift" deal ), so its also valid to say they can go faster than physically allowable.

That said, I am personally disinclined to totally eliminate relativistic combat and planetary travel, since there's plenty of precedent for it in the comics. It should be restricted to Q6+ characters, but I tend to think it should be possible, with the right combo of powers, extras, mega atts, and enhancements.

BTW, a space shuttle reentering Earths atmosphere is traveling around Mach 25. I was both the a shuttle pilot and commander during my Space Acadamy mission simulations. In order to slow down, the pilot makes hundreds of miles wide "S-shaped" turns as they glide towards the landing zone.

So Mach 10 is no biggie for atmospheric burn purposes....

Archived