Trinity RPG - Stealing useful tools

BlueNinja

The friend I'm borrowing Trinity books from also has the core Player and GM books for Alternity. While the player book isn't that useful IMO, I found that the tools they have in the GM book for mapping out star systems to be rather useful and pretty simple (though, being a TSR product, involves an awful lot of dice rolling against tables ::wacko ).

Anyone else decide for/against using it for Trinity?

I don't see why the useful bits from Alternity (those that don't clash with Trinity's basic tone & themes) couldn't be transplanted & used to good effect. Their material on the First Contact process is especially handy.

Myself, I've found the Alternity: Tangents sourcebook to be especially useful for Aberrant chronicles where the Crosstime Travel quantum power is used. There's nothing like having to roll up an alternate Earth on the spot to make a Storyteller appreciate such a convenience. ::happy

Myself, I've found the Alternity: Tangents sourcebook to be especially useful for Aberrant chronicles where the Crosstime Travel quantum power is used. There's nothing like having to roll up an alternate Earth on the spot to make a Storyteller appreciate such a convenience. ::happy
That would be great help ... if I'd ever seen it.

::blink I assure you, the book exists. I take it your local sources for RPGs don't carry many Alternity books, then? If so, you might check out Paizo.com. They're offering it as a PDF file for only $4. Barring your finding a printed copy of Alternity: Tangents on eBay, that sounds like your best bet.

It was a rather shortlived line who where created by WOTC. Alternity is a little like GURPS (general rules) witha couple of campaign worlds, namly:

Gamma World, postapocalypse world here on earth, kind of neat.

Dark Mater, sci-fi/conspiracy typ of game, centerd around the earth.

Star*Drive, straight Sci-fi

Star Craft, campaign world based on the game.

Madcat82 is actually understating things a bit by calling Alternity a short-lived gameline. I believe it was only being sold in the RPG shops for 1 or 2 years at most. Apparently science fiction-based RPGs don't sell as well as fantasy, as the major bookstore chains always carried the D&D books, yet I hardly ever saw any Alternity products on their shelves. The only place where I could semi-reliably find Alternity products was Half-Price Books.

To be fair, the only bits of Alternity I ever had any use for were the Tangents sourcebook and the First Contact material. Aside from that, it was pretty much a flop compared to GURPS' sci-fi books and any of the Aeon Continuum gamelines.

• 4 weeks later...

Shortly before I found trinity, I stumbled across a website-

http://alternityrpg.net/

which got me into sci-fi rpgs. By the time I found it though, alternity was all ready out of print, but I found trinity in my local bookshop.

The site's changed a lot since I last looked at it, but it has a lot of fan-made material and free official downloads.

The tech is amazing stuff.

I frequently used this site whilst using trinity.

Cheers,

SnakeEyes

Archived