Trinity RPG - Darkness Revealed - running it

lol, actually for modules it's not that hard to get back on track it just requires alittle patience and creative thinking, if anything you can sometimes pull off a far better game than you anticipated.

EDIT: Oh and please don't make it too easy for them by giving them an npc that does all the hard work for them. It really doesn't allow for the feeling of accomplishment that players get when they actually figure something out. nor does it allow for the "oh crap I knew that!" effect both are equally amusing to all present.

As a long time ST for White wolf games (larp mostly... where players ALWAYS mess up plots if tooo o carefully laid) i make a point to always have a backup plan. Its real easy to have five of so generic npc's you can switch modes and aptitudes (in this case) on in seconds, and toss them in for 30 seconds or so to deliver the needed information if the players are killign things a lot where they shouldnt be. Usualy these NPCs are nasty little bgugers the players will INSTNATLY regret tangling with... and kudos to them if they manage tot ake them down!

My ST/GM/DM moto: There is nothign you cant do to my campaign that i cant run with

• 7 months later...

I am about to run the first adventure in Darkness Revealed.

Any advice on it, any good words of encouragmenet :)?

Humbly,

-present the "biorgs" as you would in a Cthulu game, created like 22nd century Frankensteins monsters

-make an impression with Agent Ramirez, but don't let him dominate play

-Clairsentience will require special attention (get used to it)

-Start and finish with the clinic & be subtle with Grabowski, or the players may end up with a permanent distrust of rex's

-Although it is possible to 'solve' this mission the first time the psions explore Beaulac(?) clinic, the threat of superior status should loom large, and even the most success-laden psi roll should not leave a character certain of events.

-This particular adventure can be hard on your teams combat support, encounters set in Freak Alley or a vehicular confrontation on the return trip to Cantor can help the combat specialized pass time.

-Don't be surprised if this story is anticlimaxic, it really is best that way. Get on the next two scenarios in quick succession and the team will be riding high.

i hope some of this helps...

I have played this adventure once, and storytold it twice, and this is my humble opinions:

* The story is very railroaded (the third story in the series have a serious gaph that can leave the charaters stumped if the ST does not push them a bit) so be preped for that. Improvisation is the key.

* Biorgs works very well as "monsters", especialy if its decent into madness is introduced with care.

* Leave them alone on Luna. Its easy for players to simply return to Aeons office and ask for help.

* This is a hard adventure in where backgrounds are to be used, unless you are a Clear or a Vita.

Here are some tips that have worked very well for me:

* If you are going to run the Alien Encounter series after this one, let them play around a little on the moon, and use some foreshadowing techniques. Clears are especialy usefull for this, if pulled of right, for example the second time I storytold the series, the Clear in our group kept having visions of humans with tattoes of light on it that where forced to run to the russian station. In the whole first part of the series they thought it where Option 8 agents.

* I rewrote the diary, to have a more I dont know what is happening to me but I know it cannot be good and its making me insaine. Look at Lovecraft for inspiration.

* Play through some sort of prelude with the players if its a newly formed group, you will want them to have worked out the bulk of there problems befor you push them onto this.

The one major change I made to the campaign is instead of having that abbie catapult to Mars, which I thought was a silly bit in the campaign, I had it catapult to earth and turned it into a deep sea adventure. Same stuff (abbie gets picked up by a sub instead of a random spaceship and underwater base instead of that crystal on a rail thing.)

I just thought that having the characters follow from Luna to Mars was unrealistic. Its a pretty big anticlimax (a couple of weeks of travelling?) and really if Aeon was involved, they'd contact people on Mars to handle the situation, not the characters. Aeon's a team after all, not just the characters. Plus the ocean is way cool... ::smile

Archived