Aberrant RPG - Techquines for Momentum Control

ghettoman

Momentum Maniplation is a single power, which has a set of "tricks" or techniques. (Its like you have a sword skill ad you learn a set of special manuevers reposte, parry, strike). It has three Techniques. Each of the techniques offers the nova special ways to utilize the power. To my knowledge it has no Blast or Shield forms. In fact a Blast would be of no use since all of te techniques are aimable. the Momentum Shield could be an additional technique, but it is not in the Aberrant Player's Guide . that might be worthy of some development (perhaps use the Magnetic Manipulation shield technique <in the Core rule book> as a model.

Example: A thrown baseball

use of Momentum Rotation: Thrown ball can turn 90-degrees right in midflight.

use of momentum Swap: Ball freezes in mid-flight (next instant gravity accelorates it to the earth anyway), other target window, gains the mommentum of the ball (since its same weight, but held in place) and shatters.

use of Momentum Tranformation: This versitile technique can add or subtract to the velocity of the ball (make it move even faster), or change its accelloration. both changes can be possitive or negtive changes. this means tat te ball can lose its downward acceloration ad just keep on its current direction ad speed, or gain additional accelloration and drop twice a quickly.

the Momentum Shield could be an additional technique, but it is not in the Aberrant Player's Guide . that might be worthy of some development (perhaps use the Magnetic Manipulation shield technique <in the Core rule book> as a model

Maybe, but all the current techniques don't have a duration. It's more of a theme power.

This power requires too much math and detail. Quick: How many kilograms does that falling engine (or light plane) weight, & how fast is it moving?

I don't see any use for this power that couldn't be situmated by Elemental Mastery & TK. It should have stayed Pax's theme and not his power.

• 2 years later...

I wrote up these two a while ago (and may have even posted them somewhere else on Eon) but as I was scanning for something else, I saw this and thought, "Yay, thread necromancy!"

Momemtum Shield

Dice Pool: Special

Range: Self

Area: N/A

Duration: Maintenance

While standard Force Fields absorb damage from attacks against a nova, the few novas with Momemtum Control can learn to deflect any attack against them. When any attack that the nova can detect is made against them, the nova adds their dice in Momemtum Control to their dodge roll (normally Dexterity+Athletics). If the defending nova has net successes against a melee attacker, then the attacker must make a Dex+Athletics roll to avoid their own momemtum knocking them down.

Deflect/Redirect

As the power from the Teragen handbook, except the technique works with a range of (power rating x 2 meters) against any ranged attack the nova can detect.

What about light/energy attacks? They don't count as having momentum, right?
Light can be bent by gravity. Therefore it has mass, and since it is in motion, it has momemtum. Note the qualifier, though - must be able to perceive. If a nova is blind, or is being fired upon from behind, they can't deflect it.

I suppose it would also have the same caveat as Deflect/Redirect that attacks such as bullets and energy beyond the normally visible spectrum would require mega-perception or "power effects" (to quote the Teragen book), right?
That was what I had in mind, but I didn't actually have the Teragen book in front of me when I wrote this up. ::innocent

Archived