Trinity Universe: Holo Lives

knave

The creature is dark as it falls forward onto Tiger who is forced to catch hold of it and fight as its death spasms rip at him.

Letting the chromie fall over him, Tiger grabs one of its forelegs - doing his best to keep it from ripping his armor open - plants one foot in its stomach and rolls backwards. As he pulls the alien with him he uses both feet - and its and his own momentum - to kick it off and send it sprawling down the tunnel behind him.

Rolling to his feet covered in alien blood, he closes in on the second one - preferably from behind - and helps Harker finish it.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chrome Prime: battle in the tunnels

The second chromatic dodges behind its engaged companion forcing Talvin to hold his fire for fear of hitting the pouncing Tiger. Harker darts forward and past, snarling and slashing at the second creature which shifts its light to a reddish gold coloring and blurs slightly. Harker momentarily feels his blade connect with flesh and bone, but then finds his knife wrist caught in the three fingered grip of the creature's claw! He groans as his arm is painfully twisted outward and then can't help but scream as one of the chromatic's hind legs smashes into his shoulder joint sending incredible amounts of pain through the arm to the extent that his knees buckle... but then the grip is gone as the first thrashing chromatic sails backwards off Tiger as he rolls batteredly to his feet.

Harker blinks through the pain. Taka and Talvin stand side by side with their dart guns pointed at the gold chromatic... he looks again... three darts and a vibroblade protrude from its eye, snout and forehead. The Chromatic collapses.

[Harker's knife arm has been dislocated. He is Maimed with bashing damage]

Somewhere Nearby (though well out of earshot)

Angus Douglas: "Heer that lads? Dunno hoo well soond travels in these tunnels but that sooonded like a man ta me. Maybe the Captains not as mad as I thut, eh Frederick?"

Captain Julian Kawalski: "Not...far"

three darts and a vibroblade protrude from its eye, snout and forehead.  The Chromatic collapses.

As he gets to his feet Tiger walks over to the second fallen chromie and runs his vibroblade through its brain. Keeping an eye out for any coming company he kneels down next to Harker and speaks quickly but quietly to the others

"We gotta move, fast. Somebody's bound to have heard that. Is there another ambush site further up the tunnel?"

Producing some painkillers from one of his beltpouches he hands them to Harker, and does his best to make him as comfortable as possible, and if it's an option - snap his dislocated joints back in place.

Should Talvin move to take over, or beat him to it, Tiger will pull back and stand guard instead.

Something like a suppressed whimper comes out from between Harker's clenched teeth as Tiger approaches, then a spat of verycolorful phrases, most of which in languages his companions may not understand.

"We gotta move, fast. Somebody's bound to have heard that. Is there another ambush site further up the tunnel?"

Eyes wide with the pain, Harker clamps his jaw shut holds up a hand, asking Tiger to wait. Shoving away the offered painkillers, he croaks out, "Can't...can't concentrate with the drugs...hold on." Nostrils flaring, sweat beads on his forehead as he wills his senses outward, down the tunnel.

((OOC: Definitely spending the willpower to scan properly, hoping for at least one success.))

Eyes wide with the pain, Harker clamps his jaw shut holds up a hand, asking Tiger to wait. Shoving away the offered painkillers, he croaks out, "Can't...can't concentrate with the drugs...hold on."

Taken straight out of an ad, Talvin takes a bottle from his pocket and quips

"Have a moodie, it'll clear your thoughts"

After a quick look at Harker's shoulder, if Talvin thinks it can be snapped back he'll shove a cloth into Harker's mouth (to prevent him from screaming) and tug it back into place.

Nostrils flaring, sweat beads on his forehead as he wills his senses outward, down the tunnel.

"Try to check the other tunnels to see if others are coming. If not, maybe we should think about using real weaponry next time around...It won't be so easy against five."

"Try to check the other tunnels to see if others are coming. If not, maybe we should think about using real weaponry next time around...It won't be so easy against five."

Tiger has already got his carbine up and ready, and is kneeling next to a fallen alien and cutting off another claw. Glancing over at Talvin he replies

"Hell, the minute they're more than half our number, I'm opening fire. I'd rather risk the others hearing us than taking on more than we can handle in close combat. These f*ckers are fast. Way too fast to handle unless we surprise or outnumber them."

Chrome Prime: Underground

Eyesight blurred from the pain of having his arm restored to its socket Harker forces himself to concentrate on his inner sight. Somehow the agony bleeds into the vision colouring everything red, but speeding the flow of images till he feels as if his mind is taking in new dimensions of consciousness… he flows through passage and rock, scale and flesh: Nine chromatics cramped into the guard chamber, five packed and ready to leave, three unslinging equipment, one tearing apart several small and poorly cooked rodent-like creatures and approaching the door to the prison. Time Advances…tick-tock One of the leavers has heard something… Space blurs three men –HUMANS- in UN taskforce uniforms, the leader mumbling to himself – dry blood has matted his hair and congealed down his face – they are so close now – the leavers ready their weapons – the third of the three… Psi swirls about him aggressively… soon there will be death… Tick Tock... The crystal cave collapses… the tunnel in which the group is now standing collapses… somewhere far away there is an explosion… soon there will be death

Chrome Prime: Near a crater

Consciousness flitters enticingly beyond Hasting's reach for what seems an eon... but it finally proves less than a match for the will of the man. His body obeys reluctantly as if considering holding out for better prospects. He gathers himself... flexes, tests for pain... yes his right side and the back of his head ache, but he is not dying... or perhaps not dying quickly... he opens his eyes... darkness... black... utterly black... he tries to reach up toward his face... increased agony... his right arm must be broken... he uses the left... and pulls the fried optics from his face. Glaring Chrome Prime light... Daniel lies nearby... he too has been lacerated by splintered rock fragments... but he seems to be breathing... perhaps the nuclear explosion produced some sort of psionic backlash? A hiss... he turns his head... relieved that there is not much pain to that... and sees Caroline Hsu standing lopsidedly above the Chromatic Witness and waving a flare...

The squared off shadow of an LB-MEL whines across the landscape.

Troops.

Warm... ravenous... vitakinesis...

The MEL lifts and angles upward... a bit of withered and bloodstained biotech bandage blows past in the downdrafts of the hybrid's ramjets. Someone closes the door.

With a gasp, Harker bolts upright and grabs Talvin's shoulder. "Death!"

Eyes rolling wildly for a moment, trapped in his vision, he shakes it off and snaps his gaze first to Talvin, then Taka. Through clenched teeth, he tries to explain the vision.

"Nine chromies in the guard chamber...original five, 3 replacements, 1 going to feed the prisoners, he's going to the door. In the tunnels, 3 humans, male...UN uniforms; approaching the guard room, I think. Some of the chromies hear the men approaching, looks like the chromies are getting ready to ambush them. One of the UN guys is a psion, he's fighting back. Something happened, the cave collapsed, the tunnels we're in collapsed! There's an explosion, far away. And then just the feeling of death coming, approaching."

Waving for someone to give him a hand up, he says, "We've got to get out of here, fast. For me to detect an explosion at that distance, it would have to be enormous. If it's as big as I think, it could very easily set off seismic tremors strong enough to collapse caves and tunnels."

Grunting against the pain, he reconfigures his shotgun sling so he can more easily aim and fire it one-handed. Straightening, Harker's academic shell seems to have been stripped away; white-faced from shock, shotgun gripped tightly and anger burning in his eyes, he starts down the tunnel.

"We have to save those prisoners before everything else happens. Let's go kill some Chromies."

Taka pulls Harker up, easily handling the ISRAn's weight, and starts to ask questions.

"Do we have time to wait for the five to leave? The prisoners are the first priority. We'll only back up the U.N. men if it's unavoidable or if we can spare the man-time afterwards.

"How long will it take us to get out of here, barring difficulties?"

"How much time do we have?"

The Asian man's hand comes to rest on the butt of his own shotgun, tapping it restlessly.

With a gasp, Harker bolts upright and grabs Talvin's shoulder. "Death!"

Eyes rolling wildly for a moment, trapped in his vision, he shakes it off and snaps his gaze first to Talvin, then Taka. Through clenched teeth, he tries to explain the vision.

"Nine chromies in the guard chamber...original five, 3 replacements, 1 going to feed the prisoners, he's going to the door. In the tunnels, 3 humans, male...UN uniforms; approaching the guard room, I think. Some of the chromies hear the men approaching, looks like the chromies are getting ready to ambush them. One of the UN guys is a psion, he's fighting back. Something happened, the cave collapsed, the tunnels we're in collapsed! There's an explosion, far away. And then just the feeling of death coming, approaching."

Waving for someone to give him a hand up, he says, "We've got to get out of here, fast. For me to detect an explosion at that distance, it would have to be enormous. If it's as big as I think, it could very easily set off seismic tremors strong enough to collapse caves and tunnels."

Talvin seems shocked momentarily by Harker's reaction but is soon smiling knowingly

"You're new to these visions...Did you see the men die? IF so, there's nothing we can do. We can't escape before the tunnel's collapse, being on the surface during a bombardment would be suicide. Our only chance is the porters...If one of them is feeding the prisoners then we should go now, while the door is open. Does everyone have chromie grenades? I've got three left - Talvin hands out one or two, if anyone needs them - I also have two plasma grenades. I thought we might want to block tunnels fast. If I can get one in the guard room door then we can get the prisoners and get out without worrying about the nine, only the feeder will be between us. Anyone else especially handy with a grenade?"

Talvin says this as he walks briskly towards the guard room (with the others hopefully following, no time to waste!)

Grunting against the pain, he reconfigures his shotgun sling so he can more easily aim and fire it one-handed. Straightening, Harker's academic shell seems to have been stripped away; white-faced from shock, shotgun gripped tightly and anger burning in his eyes, he starts down the tunnel.

"We have to save those prisoners before everything else happens. Let's go kill some Chromies."

Stepping in front of Harker, Tiger smiles and says.

"No question about it, pal, but now's a good time for those painkillers."

He hands two small pills to the wounded man.

"Don't worry. They won't slow you down. But that arm of yours will."

"You're new to these visions...Did you see the men die? IF so, there's nothing we can do. We can't escape before the tunnel's collapse, being on the surface during a bombardment would be suicide. Our only chance is the porters...If one of them is feeding the prisoners then we should go now, while the door is open.

Tiger nods his agreement, then rapidly checks his gear - patricularly his sensory equipment - over one more time before starting to move.

Does everyone have chromie grenades? I've got three left - Talvin hands out one or two, if anyone needs them

Patting the grenade launcher mounted under his carbine and the grenades hanging on his webbing, Tiger smiles

"I got what I need..."::sly

I also have two plasma grenades. I thought we might want to block tunnels fast. If I can get one in the guard room door then we can get the prisoners and get out without worrying about the nine, only the feeder will be between us. Anyone else especially handy with a grenade?"

Passing Talvin at a jog and taking the lead down the tunnel, Tiger replies

"No good at demolitions, but my aim is magic..." ::wink

"Get a move on, people. If we're in a hurry, let's act like it."

Taking directions from the psions, Tiger moves as quickly as a minimum of stealth allows towards the guard room. If he runs into - or is alerted to the presence of - any chromies, he'll shoot first and ask questions later. Carbine fire if there's one, cryo-grenade if there are more.

Inside the MEL Hastings takes a few moments to order his thoughts, then calls out to the most senior-looking person he can,

"Is...," the Englishman winces from the pain of his injuries, although somewhere in the back of his mind he reminds himself that it's probably worse than it feels - thanks to painkillers & vitakinesis - but grits his teeth & continues, "... is the prisoner safe? Make sure the Chromatic is going to live - it's very, very important."

Taking a moment to further catch his breath, & to make sure that someone's taking him seriously, Hastings then moves on to other issues,

"The rest of my group is still down there - in the tunnels. Tink - give them the tracer info'. Something about the place blocks psionic communication, so you can't make contact that way. They're going after a number of human prisoners - it's vital that they either succeed or that none of the prisoners get out alive - preferably the former. The tunnels are crawling, & the prisoners are in a bad way - send as many reinforcements as possible, including medics, & have a rescue craft standing by. Now, damnit!"

A moment's more rest & the battered gent adds,

"We also encountered two aberrants down there - there may well be more. We disposed of one, but we're not sure of the other - Daniel's nuke hopefully got it, but be on the lookout & keep your LANSA scanning. Tink, give them the co-ordinates where we encountered the aberrants, & the point where I sent the male aberrant."

Hoping that he hasn't forgetten anything too vital, Hastings collapses back & waits for the MEL to reach it's destination.

Stepping in front of Harker, Tiger smiles and says.

"No question about it, pal, but now's a good time for those painkillers."

He hands two small pills to the wounded man.

"Don't worry. They won't slow you down. But that arm of yours will."

Stopping, impatience etched on his face, Harker still nods at the wisdom of Tiger's suggestion. Taking the pills, he tosses them into his mouth, chewing to make them dissolve more quickly.

Does everyone have chromie grenades? I've got three left - Talvin hands out one or two, if anyone needs them

Cracking his neck by rolling it rapidly around, he gives a subdued shrug.

"My pitching arm is out of commission, but I should still be able to shoot pretty well."

Once everyone is ready, Harker follows the others, his psionic antennae scanning for danger ahead.

The MEL

Inside the MEL Hastings takes a few moments to order his thoughts, then calls out to the most senior-looking person he can,

"Is...," the Englishman winces from the pain of his injuries, although somewhere in the back of his mind he reminds himself that it's probably worse than it feels - thanks to painkillers & vitakinesis - but grits his teeth & continues, "... is the prisoner safe? Make sure the Chromatic is going to live - it's very, very important."

The UN uniformed Lieutenant leans down, exchanging a look with the stocky, dark-haired Legion vitakinetic hovering over him.

It turns out the lieutenant’s British. ”It’s going to live, sir. We’ve received orders to return you and your prisoner to the Europa and Admiral Mkumba himself immediately. I don’t want to know what this is all about, sir, but I’m guessing you’re going get some brass kissing when we get there.”

Hastings notes the nametag on the Lieutenant’s uniform: “H. Nottingham”

"The rest of my group is still down there - in the tunnels. Tink - give them the tracer info'. Something about the place blocks psionic communication, so you can't make contact that way. They're going after a number of human prisoners - it's vital that they either succeed or that none of the prisoners get out alive - preferably the former. The tunnels are crawling, & the prisoners are in a bad way - send as many reinforcements as possible, including medics, & have a rescue craft standing by. Now, damnit!"

”I’ll radio that through sir, and I’m sure we’ll do what we can, but we have our orders. By the way, your fellow operator has come around. He’s still a bit groggy, but he should be fine… Agent Hsu is going to live too.”

A moment's more rest & the battered gent adds,

"We also encountered two aberrants down there - there may well be more. We disposed of one, but we're not sure of the other - Daniel's nuke hopefully got it, but be on the lookout & keep your LANSA scanning. Tink, give them the co-ordinates where we encountered the aberrants, & the point where I sent the male aberrant."

Understanding wheedles its way into Nottingham’s expression.

*zzawes dvvvvt weeeqww*

”I see. I’m afraid that the EMP from the blast seems to have damaged your agent, sir. We’ll get some Teks on it as soon as we dock. We've been ordered to stay on the lookout for squiddies, but I'll see if I can get some Legion squads with clears to the area. They're dreadfully difficult to pick up in irradiated areas without psions."

Hoping that he hasn't forgetten anything too vital, Hastings collapses back & waits for the MEL to reach it's destination.

There is fussing in the back of the MEL as Daniel, Hastings, Caroline Hsu and two others are completely strapped down by two Legion Docs.

”Don’t worry, we’re just keeping you safe till we break orbit.” one of the docs says.

Hard acceleration… comforting warmth

Some time later...

Daniel and Hastings wake still strapped in as hanger techs offload their plastic gurneys from the MEL. Susan Ngamba (looking elegantly dignified), Julie Devereaux (looking somewhat dishevelled, but beautiful despite herself) and the tall dress-uniformed figure of Admiral Wallace Mkumba walk over while the ground personnel unstrap the three heroes.

”Well done. Very well done.” Mkumba rumbles to each of them, shaking whichever hand doesn’t look too injured. “Please come and see me when you’re feeling better. But please excuse me now, I must return to the bridge. I'll leave you in the capable hands of these two ladies.”

”We sought we’d lost all of you!” Julie blurts and hugs Daniel causing him to whimper.

Susan Ngamba’s voice betrays the raw edge of her fatigue ”It seems that there was some sort of large scale Psi coordinate disruptor active on the surface that prevented us from teleporting you out after your mission was complete. As often as Julie fed your positions to me, you seemed to move and not be there when I reached for you. I understand one of the other teams deactivated the network a few hours ago...”

Chrome Prime: Underground

Four minutes running later and the group can hear gunfire - SMGs and Autoshotguns first, then interspersed with the softer whines of Chromatic biolasers.

Five minutes - it's definitely coming from right up ahead.

Six minutes - the corridor the group is in intersects the tunnel to the guard room at nearly a right angle. That tunnel is alight with laserflashes. A chromatic comes into view - then another - moving from the direction of the guard room and moving towards the groups' left intent on other targets. The chromatics try to turn, but it is too late.

The group opens up! The two chromies are cut down in a hail of hard armmo from all of the carbines and a plasma flash from Talvin's pistol.

The group eases its way closer. The guard room is six meters to the right. Fourteen meters to the left, another tunnel intersects the main one running from the guard room. Harker senses two soldiers firing kinetic weapons from that corridor. One more lies dead at that corridor's intersection. In the guardroom the remaining chromatics have piled several pieces of bioware (restraint harnesses?) into the doorway as a barrier and are firing from behind it - one on either side of the doorway and four behind the very perforated barrier. The door to the prisoners chamber is open. The 'feeder' must have been caught inside when the firing started because is busy menacing the prisoners with its carbine to back it so that it can rejoin the others. The prisoners are splashing the dirty water at the chromatic. Goading it.

Chrome Prime: Battle for the guardroom

Undeterred by the firing, or perhaps merely knowing that he won't be hit Talvin leans into the main corridor and flings a grenade down toward the guards.

They fire madly to try to bring it down... one succeeds when it is ten feet from them...

BOOMSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! the explosion is small, but the liquid nitrogen released spills out into a cloud covering the doorway...

Barks of pain.

The guards are now firing wildly.

Harker shouts to be heard over the weapons fire. "Two UN soldiers fighting chromies on our left! Prison door is open, prisoners waiting to be freed! Multiple chromies firing from behind a barricade at guardroom opening, chromie feeder with weapon trained on the prisoners!"

Running down the corridor to the left, he yells, "I'll help the UN's, you finish up the guardroom, someone take down that feeder before he can kill the prisoners!"

Just as he moves away, Talvin's grenade goes bouncing down the hallway and detonates. A grim smile crosses Harker's face as he sprints tiredly to the UN soldiers.

Talvin swears and looks at the rest of the team

"Damn! Okay guys, look sharp. I'm smoking the place. "

Talvin grabs a smoke grenade and lobs it into the corridor. After a few seconds of waiting for the smoke to provide decent cover Talvin Jumps sideways into the corridor and blasts away at the barrier

[Think Chow in "The killer" ::chowyunfat Will use psycho-navigation to guide my fire as well as the thermal goggles. I'll just shoot through the barrier with my plasma pistol.]

”I see. I’m afraid that the EMP from the blast seems to have damaged your agent, sir. We’ll get some Teks on it as soon as we dock..."

Hastings grabs Nottingham's lapel & pulls him closer,

"Make sure you put your best people on it - she's very special... Not exactly 'factory standard'..."

"... I understand one of the other teams deactivated the network a few hours ago...”

"In that case you can send a pick-up for the rest of the team & the prisoners, right?"

[Just exactly how wounded is Hastings anyway? ::confused ]

The MEL

Hastings grabs Nottingham's lapel & pulls him closer,

"Make sure you put your best people on it - she's very special... Not exactly 'factory standard'..."

Nottingham grimaces, but keeps his cool.

"Sir, I am sure that only the very best have clearance to work on Spec. Ops. gear, but I'll be sure to make your request known."

"In that case you can send a pick-up for the rest of the team & the prisoners, right?"

"Definitely sir. We'll send out search teams to their area once we've located all the active team beacons. I'm afraid the protocol is to get those you know about first when we don't have a definite location. Everyone goes home, sir."

[Just exactly how wounded is Hastings anyway?  ]

[Hastings and Daniel are busy healing fast. Consider both of yourselves 'Maimed' for now. Hastings took a bit more physical damage, while Daniel's additional bashing damage was due to Psi backlash.

Physically both of them have rock shard shrapnel sticking out of them down their right sides, and Hastings has a compound fracture of his right arm in addition to his previous wounds.]

Daniel looks around the ship, still trying to get his bearings. Psionic backlash is one of the worst feelings anyone could ever get, and since the sensation is so rare Daniel is hesistant on using his powers again, since his entire noetic self feels raw.

"Well, at least we're still alive." Daniel looks at some of the sharpnel in his sides. "Crap. I really hope that Aberrant died in the blast, otherwise we are seriously screwed. Didn't he say something about Space Brigand or something? Doesn't that mean he can warp.... Jeez... I do not wanna go back to that planet."

Meanwhile, as Harker heads towards the UN soldiers....

"Right Angus, gimme some cover fire. We're taking that barricade......" Frederick grunts as he dives into the corridor, dodging from cover to cover as best he can, towards the Chrommies, the Scorpian Autocarbine humming to life in his hands.....

"Damn! Okay guys, look sharp. I'm smoking the place. "

*Not again...* ::sarcasm

Talvin grabs a smoke grenade and lobs it into the corridor.

Together with Talvin's smoke grenade Tiger lobs one of his own cryos and a regular explosive one down the tunnel, trying to place them right inside the doorway as close to the barrier as possible.

After a few seconds of waiting for the smoke to provide decent cover Talvin Jumps sideways into the corridor and blasts away at the barrier

"Right behind you!"

Tiger follows the clear into the tunnel, firing on full auto at the chromies behind the barrier. If they still return fire as wildly as before he'll pull back behind the wall when he's emptied the clip. If not - and if he can do it without getting shot by Talvin - he'll charge while firing, covering the six meters in a sprint and diving over and past the barrier planning to roll to his feet and open fire at the ones beside the door.

[Again, I think that sort of action - the charge/dodge/dive thing - demands a Willpower point...]

Chrome Prime: The Fog of War… and chromie smoke grenades

The chromatics are firing wildly after Talvin’s first cryogrenade.

Talvin throws a smoke grenade into the corridor….ssssssssss.

As smoke from Talvin’s grenade rises, the chromatic whines become paniced – even over the sounds of their guns. An enfilade of pointless laser fire scorches the wall opposite the group as the chromies let rip without bothering to aim.

Harker uses the opportunity to dash toward the two soldiers in the UN gear… he notices their Triton Patches as he gets closer, but is far more concerned when the bald, stocky one shouts

"Right Angus, gimme some cover fire. We're taking that barricade......" Frederick grunts as he dives into the corridor, dodging from cover to cover as best he can, towards the Chrommies, the Scorpian Autocarbine humming to life in his hands.....

at which point the taller, blonder one steps fully into the corridor and lifts his weapon… a belt mounted, arm stabilized LK Big Boy Heavy Coil Gun.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ”FOOK YOU FOOKING FOOKS!!! TAKE FOOKING THAT YOU FOOKERS!!!” the blond Scotsman screams as the barricade is systematically shredded by metallic particles.

Seconds later the Big Boy’s clip is expended and the whole battlefield blinks.

Momentarily.

A Sixth Legion Mask blazes fully into being on the heavier soldier’s face and he charges down smoke filled tunnel (which is entirely without other cover) firing his Scorpion autocarbine as he goes.

Tiger leaps into the tunnel beside the charging man and launches two grenades phUNKNK BOOOOOOOOOOMSHHHHHHHHHH A flash of fire through the smoke.

Wailing Chromatic screams.

Talvin and Taka join in the firing.

The group rakes fire toward the end of the corridor with only Talvin and Harker really having any idea if they’re hitting or not, but all counter fire has stopped…

Something important has happened somewhere else... Harker sees a key turning in a prison lock… Talvin feels a weight leaving his chest.

A Chromatic screams from beyond the guardroom as if the very torments of hell are being visited on it.

The scotsman fumbles for another clip and wipes the blood from his eyes.

Something terrible is about to happen!

A wave of magnesium-white energy thunders silently down the tunnel engulfing everybody in light…

…and then it is gone…

The tunnels collapse.

Africa...

A forgotten piece of recording equipment starts ticking wildly on its tripod. The hanger in which the device rests is covered in a layer of fine dust. Even a few leaves have found their way in through the faulty air filtering system. Rows of old, airport-like seats line the walls.

The device on the tripod clatters away like a geiger counter... a holographic arrow appears above the device, pointing to one of the six ten-foot radius circles marked on the hall's floor.

Brilliant white light appears at a point ten feet directly above the centre of the circle. The light expands to fill the sphere... then expands further... and further... until it covers everything within a second dashed circle that reaches almost to the device.

The light vanishes.

The device clicks twice more and is silent.

Taka looks down at the shredded chromatic lying on the wooden floor less than a meter from him...

Harker forces his mouth to close.

Fredericik lowers his autocarbine.

Tiger drops to a crouch - ready for more trouble.

Talvin lowers his hands that reflexively rose to protect him from the rock about to fall.

Three tall, midnight-dark men dressed in rags stand at the centre of the circle - their arms linked. They are identical. All three smile in unison.

"Welcome to Aafrica." the middle one says as he sags against his brothers.

"Oh FOOK..." Angus curses as his legs give out and he collapses - head cracking onto the dirty floor.

Above Chrome Prime

"Well, at least we're still alive." Daniel looks at some of the sharpnel in his sides.  "Crap.  I really hope that Aberrant died in the blast, otherwise we are seriously screwed.  Didn't he say something about Space Brigand or something?  Doesn't that mean he can warp.... Jeez... I do not wanna go back to that planet."

Later...

The Europa accelerates and then breaks orbit. Frigates carrying the fleet's wounded dock and offload those lucky enough to make it off the surface.

Fighters dock.

The Europa accelerates. White energy flares about her.

No-one notices the extra passenger on the ship's hull.

Talvin lowers his hands that reflexively rose to protect him from the rock about to fall.

Three tall, midnight-dark men dressed in rags stand at the centre of the circle - their arms linked. They are identical. All three smile in unison.

::ohmy

Talvin closes his eyes for a few seconds, holsters his gun while letting out his breath then looks up again.

"Thank you.."

"Oh FOOK..." Angus curses as his legs give out and he collapses - head cracking onto the dirty floor.

Talvin runs up to the scotsman and digs through his first aid kit as he lies his hand on the mans neck, looking for a pulse..

Taka looks at the black men as his mind (relatively) slowly registers what must have happened

The tall Nihonjin dives for Angus, seeming to react almost presciently and covering an impressive distance towards him, but his dive doesn't allow him the proper leverage to support the Scotsman and his fall is broken only by the hard floor. Not even reacting, Taka scoops up his body and looks around for a softer resting place, impassively registering a deep ache in his still too-human bones begging for similar respite..

Pushing it out of his mind, he turns back to the teleporters.

"You say we're in Africa."

He seems to be about to say something else, but as is his habit, he pauses to weigh his words first and, for whatever reason, does not continue.

A wave of magnesium-white energy thunders silently down the tunnel engulfing everybody in light…

*Check, please... Table one.* ::blink

Tiger drops to a crouch - ready for more trouble.

*WTF!?!*

Standing up slowly Tiger looks around himself, carbine held at ease, but ready.

"Welcome to Aafrica."

Studying the three men for a few moments he seems to relax a little. He takes his helmet off - carbine resting beside him - seemingly paying no attention to the unconscious trooper and Talvin administering first aid. Putting the helmet on top of his pack he runs a dusty, bloody and smoking gloved hand through his short hair, making his appearance even more messy.

::biggrin

Tiger laughs out loud. "Yeah, I heard that too!"

"Damn! Africa, man!"

Leaving his pack, helmet, carbine and the bulkier pieces of his armor he walks over to the three africans. Offering his hand to shake, he grins widely and says

"Thanks for getting us out of there, guys. I'm Tiger, by the way. The indian medic is Talvin, the guy who should be having his arm in a sling is Harker and the confused looking guy there is Taka. He's in charge of this outfit. The two other guys I have no idea who are..."

His voice trails off as the adrenaline goes down and he remembers the last actionfilled minutes on Chrome Prime.

"Er... You guys don't know what happened to the people we were trying to rescue, do you...?" ::unsure

"The indian medic is Talvin, the guy who should be having his arm in a sling is Harker and the confused looking guy there is Taka. He's in charge of this outfit."

Taka laughs pleasantly.

"Don't make me give you a condescending nickname too, Scruffy."

Africa: The Hanger

—Taka—

The tall Nihonjin dives for Angus, seeming to react almost presciently and covering an impressive distance towards him, but his dive doesn't allow him the proper leverage to support the Scotsman and his fall is broken only by the hard floor. Not even reacting, Taka scoops up his body and looks around for a softer resting place, impassively registering a deep ache in his still too-human bones begging for similar respite.

Taka places the injured Scot across several seats lining the nearest hanger wall.

—Talvin—

"Thank you.."
Talvin says to the three brothers.
Talvin runs up to the scotsman and digs through his first aid kit as he lies his hand on the mans neck, looking for a pulse..
Talvin’s expression grows more somber as he examines the wounded man’s head.

The three teleporters look bewildered. ”Where is everyone?” the one on the right asks in strangely accented English, as he and his brother help the central man to lie on the floor. As the three move, the raw, and healed welts of abuse become obvious through their threadbare rags.

—Harker—

Remaining quiet for the moment, Harker nods to their supposed rescuers. Gritting his teeth, he focuses, trying to scan the immediate area for more information about where they are.

Psi flows sluggishly in this area, as though its turbulences have been harnessed to power some great work past. Somehow the passage of time is brought into swift focus, like observing a river eroding down to a gentle flow over an age. Harker’s senses slowly expand taking in this hanger and then more: a control tower decorated with communications and radar arrays, and numerous attendant buildings. All empty. The surrounding bush land is the brown of ripe wheat, while the sky above is cloudless and very blue.

This spaceport can only be Nyota Kukumbatia.

Forced Pain – a Gyre of convenience Images well up from the Talvin Sawhney – Medical Attention! / Quietly amongst us / Upeo!

--Taka—

He seems to be about to say something else, but as is his habit, he pauses to weigh his words first and, for whatever reason, does not continue.

One of the three men looks up and nods, ”Yes. We are at Nyota Kukumbatia. We knew there must people coming to rescue us because of the shooting. We joined our teleport together to take us all here. My brother, Mungo,” he indicates the passed out one of the three, ”he said something very bad was coming and that we must rescue you. Mungo usually knows these things.”

”Besides, you rescued us from the teleport blocker.” He puts his hand up and coughs hackingly.

—TIGER—

"Damn! Africa, man!"

Leaving his pack, helmet, carbine and the bulkier pieces of his armor he walks over to the three africans. Offering his hand to shake, he grins widely and says

"Thanks for getting us out of there, guys. I'm Tiger, by the way. The indian medic is Talvin, the guy who should be having his arm in a sling is Harker and the confused looking guy there is Taka. He's in charge of this outfit. The two other guys I have no idea who are..."

”I am John, these are my brothers Nelson and Mungo.” the garrulous one replies. ”I am sorry if we missed anyone. We transferred as much organic matter as we could.”

His voice trails off as the adrenaline goes down and he remembers the last actionfilled minutes on Chrome Prime.

"Er... You guys don't know what happened to the people we were trying to rescue, do you...?"

”Everyone but the…guard… escaped from our cell. Our transportal took a bit longer than their quick jumps.”

Ten minutes go by

The group hears the roar of hybrid engines as a ship lands outside the hanger.

Talvin and Harker quickly realise that ISRA has arrived, but they must be quick, because others are on the way.

A tall, striking woman [who the ISRAns immediately recognise as Varya, a recently appointed Mashriq] opens one of the hanger’s several side doors, and allows four white-coated medics carrying two stretchers to run in. [if they are not stopped] The medics quickly set about securing Angus and Mungo into the stretchers while the woman waves the rest of the group through the door towards a landed NEL. Two sets of Orgotek Locust fighters streak across the sky above, but the woman doesn’t seem bothered.

”Get on board,” she says. ”The Teks and Legions will be here very soon.”

Unless opposed, Varya takes the NEL up to the ISRA school on LUNA. Once there, the medics carry the two injured men to the infirmary (without so much as a word from Varya or anyone else for that matter).

Varya gives the clears in the group a meaningful look and points in the direction of the LAMP station. Trinity’s Olympus office is only a thirty-minute train ride away.

The three teleporters look bewildered. ”Where is everyone?” the one on the right asks in strangely accented English, as he and his brother help the central man to lie on the floor. As the three move, the raw, and healed welts of abuse become obvious through their threadbare rags

Talvin wipes the sweat off of his brow and approaches the men

"Tings have changed since last you were here. De Upeo Wa Macho have been missing for over seven years and we hat feared de worst until recently. The world will be very curious about your return...we of de Interplanetary School for Research and Advancement offer you safe harbour and medical attention away from de prying eyes and questions of the orders and Media. - the roar of an approaching hybrid can be heard as Talvin continues - We must hurry though, others are coming. You may stay with us for as long as you wish, until you feel you are ready. If you have family you would wish us to contact discreetly that can be arranged."

Talvin looks at Taka and Tiger

"You are welcome to board with us as well. We should report to our contact on Luna as soon as possible. Please understand the urgency, these people need peace and quiet more than dey need questions."

A tall, striking woman [who the ISRAns immediately recognise as Varya, a recently appointed Mashriq] opens one of the hanger’s several side doors, and allows four white-coated medics carrying two stretchers to run in. [if they are not stopped] The medics quickly set about securing Angus and Mungo into the stretchers while the woman waves the rest of the group through the door towards a landed NEL. Two sets of Orgotek Locust fighters streak across the sky above, but the woman doesn’t seem bothered.

”Get on board,” she says. ”The Teks and Legions will be here very soon.”

As everyone (?) gets on board, Talvin looks around the spaceport and closes his eyes.

[Talvin will burn whatever Psi he has left to create a noetic haze about the Porters arrival and departure with ISRA]

Once finished Talvin hops in the MEL, pops a moodie, and promptly falls asleep ::dozingoff

"You are welcome to board with us as well. We should report to our contact on Luna as soon as possible. Please understand the urgency, these people need peace and quiet more than dey need questions."

Unless Taka has any objections, Tiger gets his gear and gets on board the transport with the others.

Somewhere along the way he also asks if any of the clears know what's happened to the other part of their original team.

Unless opposed, Varya takes the NEL up to the ISRA school on LUNA. Once there, the medics carry the two injured men to the infirmary (without so much as a word from Varya or anyone else for that matter).

As they leave the transport Tiger turns to the others and says

"So... Do we go back to Chicago for our debriefing and reports? Or do we go to the office here on Luna?"

The painkiller thankfully still in effect, Harker shrugs off any medical attention until they reach Luna. There, he does capitulate to a sling, muttering to himself the whole time it's being put on.

Seemingly unconcerned with the events so far, one thing he does care about is very evident. During their journey, and after their arrival on Luna, Harker is constantly checking the condition of the tablets he removed from the Chromatic library. If anyone other than his team members gets too close to them, he fiercely glares at them, clutching the bag close.

"So... Do we go back to Chicago for our debriefing and reports? Or do we go to the office here on Luna?"

Harker shakes his head. "I think we should get to my ship, then contact the Chicago office for further orders."

Archived