[OpNet] Advice for the Newbies

Jordan

Jordan rossi,

If you are seriously planning on going back to a Utopia training facility, do not, and I repeat do not take any drugs they give you especially Moxinoquantamine and Adrenocilin. Utopia is using them to make nova's sterile, they have some infertility drug additives in them, there not in every dose, but odds are you will eventually get one, that turn your own immune system against your reproductive system, tests so far have confirmed that one or two doses is all it needs to work, this is being done by a organization within utopia called proteus, they may have utopias or the aeon society help and backing, we are not sure, still back tracking the leads we have at the moment before they dissolve into the mist on us.

would be much better if you could find some other organization to help train your abilities, maybe the elites, they have no connection with utopia that we are aware of.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have real problems with the idea that Utopia is poisoning Novas. Why would they do it? Besides the motive the chance of getting caught is huge. Another point, Nova's have been sterile from the first eruptions and if the drugs deliberately did this then the creator would have had to be aware of Novas before N day.

I think it is more likely that the Nova Drugs cause sterility as a side effect because they were rushed through testing and Utopia is just finding out about it and trying to cover it up.

As an aside can anyone tell me if there is a dating agency for Novas anywhere? I really would like to find a girl to talk to who isn't just interested in hearing about Nova stuff. I don't care if she is baseline, Nova or robot, it would be really nice to kick back with a vid and talk about crap like the latest Bruce Willis movie.

Trauma, what major metropolitan area are you close to. You don't need to tell me where you live. There are a handful of novas-only clubs (usually within normal nightclubs) were various novas from different organizations get together and unwind. It isn't like the Amp Room in Ibizia. Paparazzi and hangers-on are not welcome and personal politics are not allowed (neither Utopia or the Teragen will recruit you). Whether you end up talking to a mass murderer or the inventor of the RNA recombiner, whoever you are on the outside is left at the door.

Be warned, some patrons chose to drink heavily and/or partake of nova-specific drugs (doping someone unawares is a major asskicking, though).

Otherwise, you can catch a game, talk to someone, or listen to someone else's problems

and realize how easy your life is. I have made alot of friends in places like this and you will meet all kinds of interesting folks.

Warning: Screw it up once, you get your only warning. The second time your booted and every club that I am aware of shares its list of unwelcomed (if the patron asks for your help in removing an unruly client, please do, because it earns you big brownie points). Leak the location to a non-nova can have all kinds of repurcussions up to and including having some mass-murdering psychopath coming for you because his favorite watering hole just closed down.

(In case you hadn't noticed yet, novas live in a fucked up world.)

Actually, Drugs really don't have an affect on me. The last time they gave me Mox, I puked it back up before my body could metabolize it. Cool huh?

Nova only bars, eh Jager? Cool! Do you know of any in Toronto? Oh, by the way, Any time you want to get together for that training is fine with me. I am on an on-call basis anyway.

Atwight, where do you know Mr. Montpillar from?

Jordan, I just finished meeting your dad and says that bars are out until your next birthday at the very least. So no joy there, though the bars I have gone to don't discriminate by age. Believe it or not, the closest is about 2 km away.

Turn around. So, any good places to eat around here.

Wow Jags, that was some workout. I've never seem anyone handle a pair of butterfly knives the way you do! I mean, backflip into circle kick followed by double slash, Awesome! I think I'm gonna need to train with you some more.

Jordan, remember (listen, I am about to be pompous, again), make gravity work for you. Trust me, once you learn to use your feet like a slightly-less-agile set of hands, walls and ceilings become your friends. Next time we will go back through your father's old Matrix DVDs (stop calling me 'old man' just because I know what a DVD is) and practice some of those moves.

By the way, some lady in her mid-twenties is spying on you. I don't mean to freak you out, but she has also been in your place (I assume illegally). I caught her scent when we stopped by your place and placed it with her when we walked past her car. Didn't notice her? You didn't have girls chasing you before you erupted, did you? Is she the five-million dollar girl? Redish brown hair, soft gray eyes, good cheekbones and goes for the classic Clayborne perfumes and body washes.

Got yourself a stalker Jordan? Or a secret girlfriend? I got in real trouble there a few months back with a stalker. I was in bed reading when I heard a noise in the attic. At first I thought it was rats but then this foot comes through the plaster ceiling.

It scared the living daylights out of me I can tell you. Now I was pretty sure that my rats didn't wear the "Kikjack" line of sneakers so I pulled on the foot. Sure enough the leg had a body attached which promptly crashed onto my bed.

This guy in a T-shirt and jeans looks kinda stunned for a second and then takes a swing for me. I wasn't expecting that and the punch nearly knocked me out. Being a fairly normal guy who has just been socked in the mouth I decide to beat the living hell out of the guy and dump him out on the street. I do this and when I get back inside I call the cops.

Problem: this guy wasn't alone and his buddy has camera footage of me beating seven shades of crap out of him. The police arrive and take me into custody for assulting the REPORTER! What a life.

Actully I got off fairly easy. The judge was really understanding and ordered me to do 50 hours of community service. (Not too bad considering - and I didn't have to heal the reporter which is what I was dreading he was going to say.)

Jager, know anywhere like those places you mentioned in Detroit?

Let me get this straight; the guy breaks into your house, assualts you, and your the one that gets arrested. Are you black or what?

Ya know, once apon a time, I was a cop in the Norfolk area, and man, I had thought (being raised in the semi-rural Midwest and looking like a poster child for the Aryan movement) that skin-racism was a thing of the past. WRONG! The first time I worked with some baseline cops (a terrorist investigation), they were busting every one of color they found even remotely suspicious(looking poor didn't seem to help matters much, either). Strangely, the force was rather racially mixed, but the mentality was the same.

Needless to say, the "terrorist" act was actually the cover for securities fraud (over $50 million) perpatrated by a 'nice' white girl (the inside person), and her black (middle-class) nova boyfriend.

As for the club, the best action your are likely to find is either Montreal or Chicago. There was major fiasco in a nova club in Toledo (of all places) about a year ago. It seemed one of the owners was using it as a base for a Free Quebecois cell. The FBI and the Directive shut the place down. I wasn't there, but I hear that the first thirty seconds of the raid were really, really tense as the patrons were making up their minds as to if this was any of their affair or not, and the Feds were just grasping the concept that they had burst into a room full (30+) of novas. The bartender very quietly asked for the last call, anounced that the bar was closed, and 'requested' that all the patrons please leave. I think the three Directive novas talked the rest of the Feds into just let the other novas walk away. The owner got away as well, but is presently blacklisted world-wide.

Let me know if either city interests you.

Trauma, you got screwed plain and simple. I am going to send you some legal work that I have whipped up in the past. Included are some basic defenses for whatever actions you might take. Just list the appropriate precedents to the judge and the rest of the work is on him. It's kind of a Cliff's Notes for Nova Legal Defense. Now, this is just so you don't get hammered by an unfair situation. You seem like a nice enough Nova and the research I've done on you suggests that you are not unbalanced, but just in case you taint out, this stuff can't help you if you commit some heinous shit so be careful.

Oh, by the by, I know of a nice club in New York if your ever in town. I can give you the address, just give them my name at the door.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the papers James, I'll try to get round to reading them the next time I get five minutes. And no I'm not black Jager. (Although I have seen that discrimination too in my work as a paramedic)

Actually considering what I did I thought I got off pretty light. I mean if you think about it what I did is considered as assault with a deadly weapon just because I am a Nova. I have to admit I was sorely tempted to fly up and drop the guy from great height so I can understand that precident.

I don't think I want to go racing around the country just for a night out so I don't think I'll be going to Chicago or NY but thanks for the information and if I'm ever going that way I'll drop in. It would be pretty interesting to see a who room full of Novas. Heck, maybe I should ask Kikjak where his favorite bar is.

[This message has been edited by Trauma (edited 05-16-2001).]

I know Mr. Montpillar from several business dealings we have had in the past.

[This message has been edited by Atwight (edited 05-16-2001).]

Mr. Rossi,

I apologize for not attempting to speak with you earlier. The time I actually spend on the OpNet is sparce, so most of my casual use tends to be devoted to replying to ideas on OppViews. The only reason I'm even perusing this area of the Site is because Jager and Sovem got me over here a few days ago and I've found myself with a few minutes to spare today.

I'm not going to preach about the Teragen, our ways, our philosophy, or defend the righteousness of Geryon's actions. But if you want to know more about us, if you're curious, I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Of course, given the discourse between Jager and I over the past week, you may not wish too. I understand if this is such.

Ashnod, do you want to call a truce to our little argument? You can have the last blast on the Opposing Views board, if you like.

If you would like to, and if Jordan could arrange a neutral spot, we could meet face to face and talk about things. I would like to meet you and your little girl.

Ashnod,

I have no interest in learning anything more about the Teregen than I already know, and I'll tell you why.

After I erupted I was contacted almost immediately by Utopia. A recruiter was in the hospital when I woke up. she gave me some info and a phone number to call. My dad and the woman also set up an appointment to have me examined at the downtown Rashaud facility when in the next couple of days.

When I got home that night I found a couple of packages waiting for me. One was information on the Church of the Immanent Escheaton and the other was a copy of The Null Manifesto. I read both then tossed them into the corner of my room somewhere, I didn't think either were really relevant to me at the time. A few weeks passed, I had me exam with PU and had one power management session with the same recruiter I had met before. I thought things were going to be alright. I was wrong.

My first encounter with the Teregen came in the form of a woman calling herself Stormbreaker. she showed up at my school, found my class and floated in. It was kind of unnerving actually. She had lightning running all over her body and was hovering over the floor on a cushion of air. She declared in a voice like thunder that she had business with me and everyone else was to leave immediately. That cleared the room real fast.

Now at this point I would like to say that I had managed to keep the fact I was a nova secret up until now. Anyways, Stormbreaker wanted to know if I had read the manifesto and if I was ready for the great destiny that awaited me. I was kind of taken aback by all this, my mental enhancements hadn't developed at this point and it seemed, well, weird. I told her that yah I'd read the book and it didn't make much sense to me, so no I wasn't interested in going with her. I don't have to tell you that did not go over well. An argument erupted which ended only when the police showed up. She flew out the window at this point yelling about how I would regret my insolence. I thought that would be the end of it, but I was wrong again.

Stormbreaker showed up again, this time at a school football game, two days later. I don't know how she knew I would be there but I guess it doesn't really matter. It was still daylight and was a clear sunny day.

The lightning blast came out of nowhere. In seconds the sky had gone from clear and sunny to dark, grey, and overcast storm clouds. Everyone was screaming and the two football teams were scrambling to get off the field. The rain started in a torrential, bone numbingly cold downpour, and there, 60 feet in the air, floated Stormbreaker. She was crackling with lightening and a wind was whipping around her. She found where I was almost instantly, know one was moving at this point, we were all rooted to our spots by fear.

Stormbreaker floated closer and in that same thunderous voice said that because I had refused her generous offer of tutelage in the glory that is Teras and allied myself with the verminous scum that infect her planet, I was to die a traitor. She then preceded to open fire on the motionless crowd. I reflexively leaped out of the way, I think she expected me to do that. The rest of the crowd wasn't so lucky. People were being electrocuted, and those that weren’t were trampling each other to get out of the way. I knew I had to stop her so I grabbed the closest thing to me, which happened to be a football, and hurled it as hard as I could at her head. I know I surprised her, the football actually exploded on contact with her, that’s how hard I threw it. She turned her attention to me and again started firing. I got tagged once out of the 7 shots she got off, I was lucky.

The next part is a bit hazy for me, I know the authorities arrived, apparently they had the school under observation, and soon, Whipspeed was there. He's one of Toronto's 3 civil defenders. At that point I lost consciousness and woke up a little later in an ambulance on the way to the Rashoud facility for treatment for my electrical burns.

I found out later that 20, students, 8 teachers and 3 police officers died that day. Dozens of others were injured when the stands collapsed and caught on fire. One of the casualties was one of my best friends.

That was my first encounter. The second one took place months later. I had been out enjoying the waterfront when I heard the sounds of battle. I hauled ass to where the sounds were coming from and found Whipspeed in battle with another nova who later turned out to be a Teregen guy called Dark Matter. Spitfire, another civil defender, was lying unconscious on the ground and Whipspeed was almost down for the count. The collateral damage was terrible. buildings were destroyed, the street was all torn up and I could see gas lines sticking out of the ground. And the bodies, there were bodies everywhere, some were dead, others dying or just wounded. Emergency services couldn’t get to them because of all the devastation and because Dark Matter was hammering Whipspeed with anything that wasn't nailed to the ground.

I was in shock for only a moment before the anger and rage took hold of me. My eufiber responded instantly, and I leaped forward, into action. I got DM's attention by tossing a motorcycle at him and while he was stunned, I tackled him. my eufiber arm blades ripped into him while I pummeled him nearly into unconsciousness. He blasted me off him and floated up, the battle continued for a few more minutes until I figured out he was using gravity to fly. One shot with a telephone pole used like a baseball bat and he was sailing over the harbour and out into the lake. Since I had no way of following him and I didn’t want to answer a lot of questions from the cops, I split. I have no idea what happened to Dark Matter and I haven’t seen either him or Stormbreaker since those encounters.

THAT is why I don’t want anything to do with the Teregen. They have brought me nothing but sorrow and pain. I know you say not all of you guys are like that, but turning a blind eye to it is just as bad, if not worse. I do not want to be associated with an organization of sociopaths, psychopaths, and psychotics, thank you very much!

Quote:
Jordan Rossi indignantly responded:
Ashnod,
I do not want to be associated with an organization of sociopaths, psychopaths, and psychotics, thank you very much!

Jordan, there two things I would draw your attention to. The first is that the core Teragen ssems to be not so much an organization as an affiliation of novi that agree that they have a destiny seperate from humanity. Mind you, each has different reasons for this and different methods of pursuing it. Some them and their methods fall right into the sociopath/psycho category.

I bring this up because it's dangerous to generalize any particular member of the Teragen as akin to ones you met. Jager, for instance, is Teragen although his methods fall into a distinct minority if the posts here are any indication.

The second is that, should you feel the need, contact me via this OPNET site. I don't have nanotech laying around, armies off planet or cosmic powers but I don't stand idly by and allow people be abused. If nothing else, I can provide a bolt hole. Depending on your situation I may be able to more.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Paragon:
Wizard, are you feeling better yet?

Yes, thank you.

So. An ex-terat productively employed by PU. I find myself amazed that they would even consider giving you clearance for sensitive information.

Because of the nature of the Teragen, I find I am usually more willing to examine the motives of particular terat. Lacking a firm organizational conviction to anything, beyond the need to find relevence and meaning in a particular piece of doctrine, the individual cannot be judged by the organization as there is none. A PU agent on the other hand, by presenting part of the solid front/support in Utopia is responsible for the sins of the organization. You present a conundrum of sorts. Would you care to elaborate?

I would be interested in knowing why someone, especially with you background would want to be a Utopian.

[This message has been edited by Wizard (edited 05-18-2001).]

Hey, my post got nailed again.

Wizard, I am ex-Terat, but I have never been a Utopian (save for a few hours, but that was under false pretenses).

I related a story to Jordon about the schizophrenia in the Teragen. Oh, well.

Fine Wizard, if it makes you feel better, I'll call them a fellowship. From what Jager described to me, they do have an organization though. Just a very loose one. Doesn't change my view of them however. They are still all sociopathic at the very least.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan Rossi:
Fine Wizard, if it makes you feel better, I'll call them a fellowship. They are still all sociopathic at the very least.

My apologies for my failure to be concise. I only meant that generalizing such a diverse group can lead to dangerous assumptions.

Mr. Rossi,

I'm sorry that your experiences have led you to this perception of us. For what it is worth, we generally don't try to actively recruit new eruptees. If they come to us, they are welcome, but we aren't Utopia, DeVries, Novelty, or the Directive. We can't offer you benefits, you won't even get a paycheck, and sufficed to say, we won't even support you financially.

That being said, I officially state that I've never heard of anyone in our movement that calls themselves Stormbreaker or Dark Matter. The definitely aren't with Shrapnel or Geryon's people, and to say they're Jeremiah's would be a serious insult. If they are truly part us, my bet is they are with Narcosis. If that's the case, I'm truly sorry, because there's even less organization with her group than the others, and little way of keeping them from doing those types of activities.

But, judging by their methods and their carelessness, I'm more inclined to believe that they aren't part of us at all, rather wannabes who haven't ever spoke to one of us in person but have declared themselves members regardless. This is more frequent than you know. Three-quarters of every act of terrorism or "recruitment" like you experienced are carried out by Novas acting in our name but without our knowledge or our sanction.

Jordan, it is a Catch-22 for the Teragen. If they were more organized, they could reign in the dangerous wannabe yahoos. Unfortunately, they would also be much more vulnerable to Utopian counter-attacks or infiltration. At its core, the Teragen isn't that big so it can't really hope to fend off a Utopian offensive if Utopia decided that is what they wanted to do.

I am afraid it is safer to judge each terat or Teragen group differntly. Some might be more than willing to work with you and be your friend (they need friends too). Others will freak at the slightest mention of Utopia and try to take your head. One of the few things that the Teragen is united about is dealing with those who attack all Terats on sight.

I'm not going to get pulled into a big, long winded debate about who is, or is not, a member of the psycho's club, or what constitutes membership. I AM suprised by the fact that none of you remeber the news articles on N! about both incidents. I also notice that while Teregen members on this board are going on about how they disaprove of that sort of behavior, not one member of the Teregen stood up to say they did not approve of thier fellow's actions to the public. That speaks far louder to me than anything said here. That is all I am going to say on the subject.

Jager, I would like to get together with you again. How is Friday or Saturday? I want to ask you a few questions. I have been practicing as well. The Matrix was great source material and I have just discovered Jackie Chan and John Woo. I want to show you a few things.

Amen, Wizard. Jordan, I will see what I can do. I will be in touch.

Jordan, remember, there are on average 2.4 actions that are attributed to or claimed by the teragen everyday. The Teragen is a very loosy-organized group. If the various spokesfolk did nothing but respond to all of these actions, they would never sleep or have the time to do anything else with their lives. The truth of the matter is that the world can be a harsh and unforgiving place. We don't have to be the same.

Uh Wiz, Jags, I'm not really into guns. Besides, I don't think my dad would really approve.

My grasp of reflexive acrobatics has gotten better and I know those medative combat techniques are working. I can feel when I'm in immediate danger. It's like tasting sour milk and smelling burnt toast at the same time. Thats not very accurate but I can't explain it better.

That Jackie Chan guy is amazing. Fast, versitile, and controlled. I'm learning just by watching. Weapons combat is becoming so simple. I hope we can get together soon Jager, I think I need some more combat time.

Guns don't solve problems, people solve problems. Guns merely complicate the issue.

Jordan, I am going to clue you into something that I will start training you for later. I am going to teach you to kill people. More importantly, I am going to train you to be willing to kill people. Once I do that, I can then teach you how not to kill people.

What suprises folks is the fact that most people get killed by people who had no real intent to kill them. Generally, most people (novas and baselines) don't have the personality to kill another sentient being in cold blood. This can become a problem when they are armed, and the vast majority of novas can be classified as armed and dangerous. Still, unless the opponent you are facing is truly insane, they aren't planning to kill you, they are just angry with you and lashing out.

I need to teach you that we can't afford the luxury of anger. Save the emotion until after the action is over. Once you size up your target, figure out your game plan and some of the various permutations that could result, your views will change. Knowing that you hold that person's life in your hands will give you the edge you need to NOT kill them. Most killings in nova combat are 'accidental', despite Totentanz and Epoch. Yes, I will teach you to think like they do. It can't be helped. What I will teach you is that you don't have to do it. You can master your enemy without killing them and that is really what we are about.

Besides, I promised your dad. I just look young. I have been around for quite a while.

I just can't get my head around a group of people who claim they aren't human. Saying it does not make it so. We are all human some of us have an ability to manipulate quantum energy, it is not a license to do whatever we want. Having quantum powers is like owning a gun; you have to be responsible. As far as I am concerned Novas are not any different from humans, some of them just think they are and that is the tragedy.

Trauma, as for the concept of responsibility I will agree with you. No Nova should abuse their powers without consequence, no Nova should abuse others (Nova or baseline) without consequence.

However, just as you have difficulty 'wrapping your head around' the concept of people insisting that we are not human, I have trouble seeing your point of view as valid. I have heard the 'duck argument'. You look like a human, act like a human and talk like a human ergo, you must be human. Sorry, but if scientist ran across a duck that could breathe underwater and had the capability to regenerate lost limbs they would not call it a duck. It would be re-classified as an entirely new sub-species if not an altogether new species. I see no reason to have a different reaction simply because we are talking about us.

James, Trauma, this discussion is going on in another thread called What is a Nova. Take a look, I would be interested in hearing your views and responses.

Sorry Atwight.

Mr. Rossi- Congratulations on your growth, your have developed a useful ability in this day and age. However I am curious as to why. You have professed a desire for a 'normal' life yet you have taken up combat training and developed a potent defense. Now, I am not disapointed in your growth it just seems to be at opposition with your stated position.

If you are looking for some truly effective defense just let me know. I have some blueprints for something I simply call, 'The Bauble'. Through its activation you effectively turn 'sideways' to reality. Physical danger is nonexistent while it is active. If you'd like to make your own just let me know. Um, however, the materials are a tad pricey. You may want to contact your financially hefty paramour.

James, now hold on. You are saying the capacity to be human resides purely in the physical and mental? I disagree. Our race (humanity not Novas) have people with IQs from 40 to 200 roughly. How is a Mega intelligent nova any different from Albert Einstien compared to someone with a low IQ? The answer is there is no difference. How is someone with three arms different from someone with two when you compare them to someone with one arm?

You and all of us are still human. The only difference is the MR-Node which can be removed and therefore reverts us to a baseline form. Watch the old movie "Phenomenon" for an exact example of what I believe it is to be a Nova.

Sorry about the rant James. I really believe that all this we are not human rubbish is just a cover for people who don't want to face facts.

I'll post this on the "what it is to be a Nova" section too.

Mr Meehan, I do want to have a normal life, and in many ways, I have succeded. Before I erupted I was a high school student, and gymnast. I also sutdied martial arts, it was a hobby of mine and helped with my gymnastics training. Since my eruption, many things have stayed the same. I am still a gymnast and I still study martial arts. Now, while it is true I have already graduated high school, my first job was not what you would consider typical for a nova. Other things have changed though. For instance, I have a lot more friends now. None of them are what I consider real or true friends, but the company is great and I can still act like the teenager I am.

I have also been bothered by Utopia, the Teregen, the city of Toronto, several different corporations, individuals looking for a good time, and the Government. Would these people be interested in me if I weren't a nova? doubt it. Do I care? Not really. I am a nova and I know that what constitutes a normal life for novas varies widely but I don't see what I'm doing as that much different than how I was living before. The abilities I am developing are just natural extentions of what I can already do, and they actually help me in my new job.

As for the Bauble, I don't think it will really help me. I mean, it sounds useful, but I am not that technologically inclined and I have no way of getting together that much money. I'm NOT interested in taking up that gross old troll on his offer just for some cash! I do have some taste, and if I'm going to prostitute myself out for money, he better be damn good looking. Actually if he's good looking, I doubt I would charge him anyways. Thanks for the offer though.