[OpNet] Advice for the Newbies

Jordan

I havn't been a Nova for very long, and could use some good advice. I created this topic so us newbies can ask questions and hopefully, all you big wigs won't mind taking time to answer our questions. I know that is what Trauma had in mind on the other thread, but the conversations have gotten kind of heavy over there, and I think I need to ease in to the pool a little slower.

So, first question, what is the best way to handle multiple identies (Nova persona vs. Mundane persona).

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first bit of advice is to not bother. There is something you need to understand about being a Nova. It means much more than simply being able to do fabulous new things simply through force of will. One of the small differences is that you are no longer human.

Fine, I understand you seem to feel that you are still human, you're not. I won't argue science, philosophy or semantics with you. What I mean by saying that you're not human is that you can manipulate quantum. This has a farther reaching effect than you know. Your quantum imprint resonates at a strikingly different frequency than humans.

If you have more than the minimal amount of quantum proficiency you probably resonate at such a level that normal humans can detect your nature simply by being in their presence.

Now, there are ways around this. You can learn to stoke your quantum fires and return to nearly baseline existence. I hope you don't travel such a route, it is demeaning. I suggest simply learning to accept your new status. Hopefully with effort and patience those around you can accept it as well.

So, just what are you saying exactly? I should leave my dad, and everyone else I know, and do what exactly? Should I take Project Utopia, or some of the other groups, up on their offers?

Thing is, I still feel human, I have already said that my powers arn't really flashy and sort of come naturally. You know, Enhanced Strength, Agility, Resiliance, Intelligence, Perception, Appearance, and a special way with people. I know that I'm different in some ways now but does that mean its an either/or situation?

PS: For anyone else reading this who have felt the need to citicize me about my job. I don't want to spend the rest of my life in a mailroom, I do have dreams to aspire to. I just can't, by law, leave the guardianship of my father, and I don't really want to. I love and respect him and the sacrifices he has made for me. So until I am 18 I have to abide by my fathers rules.

Okay, is it just me, or have the Teragen hacked into this board and taken it over? Ah well...

As a former elite, mundane and nova identities will probably get made for you in the press. The reality is in how you feel. I named myself "Darkwave" because it sounded cool, but everyone I knew, from my bandmates to my fellow elites, called me Raiy. Darkwave was just a flashy name that looked cool on album jackets and headlines. So first of all, find your own little comfort zone. Decide who "Jordan Rossi" is. The words "human" or "nova" shouldn't come into play when figuring that out.

Novas have the same kinds of angsty identity problems baselines have had for millenia. Same shiznit, different century...

------------------

"When did HE become a nova? Natural Agitator? No sh!t, dude!"

Jordan, I am afraid that you misunderstood me. No, I am not saying that you need to abandon your life. I was simply saying trying to live the life you had before, with no changes, is an impossibility. You are a Nova and everyone around you is going to know. You can't simply insist that nothing is different, people are going to react to you differently and are going to expect things from you that they never have before.

Change is not an evil thing. Do your best to control what changes occur and in what direction they take you. I wish you luck and hope that you are able to find some of the happiness that I have found so elusive.

Mr. Meechan, I respect what you're saying, and I'm sorry for the confusion. I just don't want to be an adult yet. I'm still young and I want to enjoy it. I know my life won't be the same but it seems to me, us Novas are going a little to the extreme. I mean, look at the posts an this site, how many people here would you say lead even a remotely normal life? Everyone seems to be hiding from the cops or their enemies and stuff. DOes just being a Nova mean I can never have a "happy" life?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan Rossi:
I mean, look at the posts on this site, how many people here would you say lead even a remotely normal life? Everyone seems to be hiding from the cops or their enemies and stuff. DOes just being a Nova mean I can never have a "happy" life?

What is normal? Even before 1998 that was a relevant question with a myriad of answers. In the post-Galatea world the question becomes even more keen. If I may be so bold, I would draw your attention to the fact that while the people posting to this site are not "normal" as 99% of the world define it, they ARE living life. Which is more than can be said of most of that 99%.

Live your life, Jordan Rossi. Honor your father as you see fit but remember it is not your father's decision to work where you do, rather it is your decision to do so.

And lastly, happiness is a transitory emotional state. Like rage or hate it passes for most of us. Just live your life well, don't worry it or sleep through it. Who knows, you may make the difference at a crucial moment for one of us.

OK, you guys have given me some good stuff to think about. I know that it is my choice to work in the mailroom, thruth is I actually like it. I just don't like the way some of the people around here rag on me because I'm not making a million bucks a day, or killing baselines, or "working for the greatest good to society", or... Well you get my point.

So, considering some of the offers I get daily, how do I figure out which one is in my best interest.

Quote:
So, considering some of the offers I get daily, how do I figure out which one is in my best interest.

"So, considering some of the offers I get daily, how do I figure out which one is in my best interest."

Identify where your interests lay would be a good start. Next, identify a situation that would allow you to work within those interests. Finally, identify the pros and cons of the relationship you would be entering into and whether you could get out if necessary.

For example:
Do you want to be part of a larger group working for the betterment of the entire human race side by side with other novas and baseline humanity?

Pros: pretty well known. A huge paycheck, the opportunity to work with an organization unlike any other in human history, acclaim of the masses, the chance to do some good. Solid contracts written by nova lawyers.

Con: You aren't deciding what the greater good is, and Utopia doesn't particularly enjoy unsolicited opinions. Follow the company line or get out. Personnel not supporting the official party line have a tendency to get shifted to the middle of no where or (for the extremely vocal) just disappear amid rumors and allegations of wrong doing. Contractual obligations.

Besides, their safety record sucks. Novas killed while farming? Novas killed while vacationing? Trusted Novas revealed as mentally unstable and/or Terragen? Half the reasons for the conspiracy theories involving Utopia is a desire to believe no one could be the complete fools they would have to be for these circumstances to occur without intervention. And the world lets them police technology, society, politics?

This is not to warn you against Utopia, or to recommend them or anyone else. I only provide one example which illustrates my thought process and why *I* don't work for Utopia.

You are a focal point, one of the obviously 1 in 1 million. People are going to tell you what you should or should not do. You have time to make decisions and some of them are going to be wrong. Some of them are even going to have consequences which will affect you for a long time. But, they'll be your decisions not someone elses.

Lastly, money is the thing most often offered for your services. Money is only a tool for changing your environment. You are currently in possession of a much better tool for changing your environment. Welcome to the Nova world.

Jordan, I will start out by disagreeing with James Meehan on the fundamental point that you are no longer human. You may have superhuman powers, but your core being remains the same. The resonance he speaks of only happens with the most powerful of novakind. Unless you make "great strides" in your power, you shouldn't have to worry about this.

My advice is to follow your heart, get advice from the people you have trusted in the past. If it makes you feel good and it doesn't kill people or wreck the planet, do it. You should live for a very long time and you shouldn't have any aging problems for your first hundred years, if then.

A bright, wonderful world is opening up for you. Treasure this time. It won't be long before others will want you to join their crusade for this or that.

As for the matter of the Teragen, contact Ashnod on the OV board. In my opinion, she gives the best view of the Terat philosophy. James is just too damn smart for us slower types and he sometimes forgets to shave 1000 off his IQ when trying to make his point.

Utopia can and will sell itself, so I wont bother. The same goes for the Indies. My only recomandation is to take some EMT courses. Foolishly, most people will expect you to save lives and the like and get upset when you don't. Save yourself a little heartache.

Jordan, lemme give you my advice: don't take advice. (Don't you just love oxymorons?)

Throughout history, issues have always come up that have set cultures, nations, or even just small towns into disarray and many heated arguments. Now, for the first time in the known history of earth, and issue has come up which affects the entire globe- and everything living on it- all at once. Every single sentient being on the planet- or off it (Cornelius)- has an opinion. No two opinions are alike. Pax and Mal have very different opinions; but, then, so do Pax and Laragione (sp?). Even within the same organisation, there will still be differing opinions. And everyone and their mother's brother will want to give you theirs and advertise it as the correct one. Myself included, even if my advice is to not listen to too much advice.

Who is to say who is right? That has been the question that has plagued man since the beginning, and will continue to plague man and nova alike. I certainly believe I'm right, but so do millions of others.

Instead, follow yourself. Do what is best for ~you~. I know that you are young, and impatient, and would prefer that older, wiser novas would sweep down from above and tell you all the answers on this board, but that's not going to happen. It can't happen, because we're not you. Only you are you. Look within yourself, the answers are there. They are quiet, so you must be quiet to hear them... but they are there.

Also, do not concern yourself with Darkwave's jibes at the Teragen- he has obviously bought in to the media's hype about us. And while Ashnod is indeed a devout Terat, don't let Jager cloud your thoughts either. Being a Terat is about being different; she would be the first to agree with me that Geryon is as good a Terat as she. (no offense Jager, just doin my job)

However, I'm just living up to my title *points to occupation*. If you were to become interested in the Teragen, Ashnod would be the best person for you to go to, judging by your personality.

Jordan, I have been a nova for less than a year and have done a lot of thinking about the various Nova organisations. I could go on about the various groups and the pros and cons as I see them but that pretty useless to you as its my opinion and not your own. The best thing you can do is work it out for yourself.

On another point does everyone in the Terragen think killing baselines is OK? Its just that I can't understand why they don't try to stop Geryon from killing people if they like normal folks.

Child. You are new to the ways of Satan.

Perhaps there is still hope for you before your soul is snuffed out by the condition which plagues you.

I love all Gods creations. Therefore I eradicate the foul stench of Nova corruption where ever I find it.

I can help you. Together through God we can try to burn the taint out of you. Quickly child, before it is too late. Do not let yourself fall as the others have. You may yet be saved.

They are already dammed

And may we introduce this bords resident madman: Father Ryan; worth at least 10 of those Church of the Archangel Michael whimps. Everyone says this guy is a really dangerous lunatic so steer clear is the order of the day.

I am no longer a Terat and I am not sure I ever was, but I think the answer to that is "No. Not every Terat wants to kill baseline humans". As for stopping Geryon, not only is the task in and of itself difficult, many Terats don't feel they have the right to stop him. From their way of thinking, Geryon is fulfilling his destiny by 'defending' novas. Mind you, there are large factions within the organization who are for killing all or most of the baselines. Others just want to take over the planet and rule them. Still others simply don't care one way or the other. Since they have moved past humanity, what happens to their progenitors is no longer their concern. Are you getting the picture that the Teragen is a fractured family? That is pretty much correct. One of the primary tenants of the Terats is individuality. A lady named Ashnod could do a much better job at this, so if you can find her, she might be able to make the whole Teragen picture clearer. Sovem is another Terat who could answer your questions in a clear and concise manner if you can catch up with him.

Unfortunately, I seem to be much easier to catch up to these days than Ashnod; which is a tragedy, considering what a wonderful lady and a devout Terat Ashnod is. But, she says the topics interest her little, now; and we all have duties out there in the real world (unless you're a cyberkinetic and the opnet is your real world). So, no one can blame her, really.

Also, Truama, Jager hit the nail on the head. No, not all of us encourage the killing of baselines. There a hundreds of reasons why; ranging from Orziaz's and Narcosis' love of adoration, to some's belief that murder- even murdering a baseline- is wrong. There are those, however, who beleive that killing baselines is not only ethical, but necessary. Geryon is the least of humanity's worries- he will only strike if a nova is struck first (if I did not enjoy laughing at ol' Padre's posts so much, I would've long ago pointed him out to Geryon. Watch your back, Father, you cannot hide forever). Others in my fellowship beleive that nova's and humanity's interests are so contrary and opposed to each other, that we must fight to survive. Other's simply beleive that with novas on the field, humanity's day are over; and that killing baselines is simply an amusing pastime.

Yes, this certainly makes us a "fractured family"... but that in no way makes us dysfunctional.

Jager wrote: "Hell's belles, Sovem, but you really have mellowed since we last talked. Good to see it."

*grins* Comes from the long talks with Jeremiah and quiet meditations in his garden.

Oh, and, if anyone was wondering: I do not beleive in genocide, but I do beleive in "an eye for an eye." I allow fellow novas some leeway here, if only becuase there are so few of us and we need to stick together. But, as for a baseline who steps out of line, I have no qualms about killing it myself.

Note that: steps out of line. I will not murder innocents; and, yes, my definition of 'innocent' is pretty much in line with the average concensus amongst baselines.

But I've rambled on enough. Time to go back and check the Opposing Views...

Wow, I'm glad I founf this place! Thanks for all the advice and don't worry, I will make up my own mind. I just like to know how others see things, helps me put stuff into perspective, know what I mean? You suprised me Sovem, every other terat I've met has done everything in their power to convert me to the cause. I don't even really know what the cause is! Maybe you could talk about it a little more?

Perhaps. Those elements do indeed exist in Teras, but it would be an injustice to suggest that 'survival' is the ultimate goal of Teras.

Teras is, at its heart, about finding your true potential.

Many seem to like comparing nova-baseline relations with baseline-monkey relations; therefore I will use that example. If the earth were covered with 6 billion chimps and gorillas and whatnot, with maybe a couple thousand humans (fully evolved and sentient) spread throughout the lands evenly; humanity's future would be very bleak indeed. Now, imagine that all those humans had different views about what they should do with their lives, and that even the largest union of humans was still only a couple hundred strong. The apes worshipped the humans and their advanced reasoning capbabilities and all the things they could do; but they still insisted that the humans walk crouched over on their knuckles, walked in the nude, and just genrally lived like an animal.

Some humans beleived that, becuase there were more apes and they had things called "brute strength" and could still wipe out the few humans; that they should lead campaigns to hunt and kill the apes, taking the planet for themselves. Others beleived that they should build boats and hide on the ocean, where the monkeys could not follow.

And so it goes. By now, you've gotten the general picture. Humanity is not doing so hot, and things look bleak. Sooner or later man's tools, fire, and speech will begin scaring them; and they'll lash out at the humans.

Then, one day, along comes a crafty and powerful man. He spreads the word to all of mankind that this was not what they were meant to do. Mankind's destiny was so much greater than walking around naked in the mud and being revered by hairy monkeys. But they were few, and their only hope was to band together, and leave the monkey's rules and soceity behind in order to find their ultimate destiny. He was not a war chieftan, and would allow each man to chose for himself. But it is obvious to us reading this story that man's only hope was to follow this prophet and find their future.

That, Mr. Rossi, is Teras. It is pure, simple... and obvious. With the blossoming of our nodes, doorways to the future were opened to us that humanity could never even dream of. But we will never be able to open them while we crouch in the mud on our knuckles, naked.

Now, I do not mean to insult your family or friends by comparing them with monkeys; but, despite how noble mankind is, well... I'm sure you must get the picture by now.

As I have understood it from the mouths of Jeremiah Scripture and Divis Mal themselves, this is Teras.

Sovem, good analogy. I, of course, don't agree with you, but that just makes me...me. I believe that novas can advance side by side with baseline humanity. I believe we can do this most effectively on the small scale, working one on one or in small groups. I am not a big fan of Utopias "We know what's right for the world" approach, either.

Our vary nature as novas colors our world view and takes our thinking and emotions in different directions. Humanity keeps me anchored to what is really important - life. I advance very slowly in this way. It isn't the path for someone who has something to prove to the world or who wants to plum the depths of their powers. That will come in time and I have plenty of it. Barring an incredibly lucky fanatic or one of my fellow novas, I will live hundreds and hundreds of years. I am a patient man.

Sure, those who run with the taint and know the secrets of the Teragen are sacrificing something they don't care about; their humanity. I hope this makes them happy and they find what they are looking for. This much I do know beyond a shadow of a doubt: There is no turning back.

Sovem, I will agree with you on your analogy, good work. However, I still believe that survival is a core concept of Teras. As individuals flailing about, out-numbered, and blind to our potential our survival is in doubt. Survival may be an end result of meeting our potential, but I believe it is a worthy goal in and of itself.

Jager, my problems with Utopia have nothing to do with their decision to announce what is the best for the rest of us. My problems come from the fact that the answer they came up with is wrong. They are headed by baseline level mentalities that can't see beyond their everyday monkey concerns. I don't have a problem with someone knowing whats best for me. Parents to it all of the time. But parents can usually make the claim to know more and to understand more than the children. Utopia can't make that claim.

When I raised my little Nova children up, I gave not a second thought as to what I was going to teach them; what philosphies, science, and values. I knew what was best for them and acted on it. Now they outstrip me and can come to me and challenge my instruction. Utopia is not willing to let us challenge them. They are parents who are unable to see that their children grew up much quicker than they expected.

James, thank you for proving my point that Utopia is a baseline organization whose goal is to make the world better (in their view) for baselines.

Mistake no.1. They tend to leave novas out of the equation. They only want novas to work FOR, not with, humanity. That is their greatest failing.

Mistake no. 2. They don't know what is right for everyone. Therefore, they will hammer down some while attempting to raise up others. The people they are grinding down are bound to fight back. Once that happens, the dream dies.

Whew. Pretty heavy stuff there. I can't say that any interpretation of the Teras philosophy really impresses me. Teras strikes me as a very self absorbed way of looking at things. I strongly disagree with killing a baseline human just because they don't have a lump of tissue in their forebrain, even if they are being a bigoted chump.

Hey, Trauma, there is nothing I like better than rushing in, saving thousand of lives, and then having the local military come in after the fact and try to kill me. If you expect gratitude for helping people, your in the wrong business, but I think you already know that. You do it because it needs to be done, because it's the right thing to do, and because you can. If I get a "thanks", or an "attaboy", its a plus.

In time, the Teras philosophy will make more sense. You may never agree with most of it (I don't), but you will develop a deeper understanding of what that 'lump in your brain' means to both you and the world around you.

Jeez Padre, don't get your panties in a bunch! what'sa matter, you run out of alter boys to molest or something?

On to more interesting topics. I have been thinking about what has been presented about the Teregen. I see at least one flaw. The good thing about baseline society is that the individual, while having free will (of a sorts), is still accountable to the rest of society. Hence the general moral standard that things like murder are wrong. From what your telling me, the Teregen does not see murder as wrong unless it is murder of another nova. Even baseline society acknowledges that wanton destruction of animals is not right. So why is wanton destruction of baselines acceptable? simply because of a percieved difference in species? Where is the social accountability?

I mean no offence to anybody but I do have to say this. Any nova who is willing to stand by and allow anyone to murder another sentient being in cold blood because that being is not as evolved, is telling the world that mureder is acceptable through thier own lack of action. What happens when we meet other life through space exploration? Will we allow the anti-social members of our society to slaughter that life simply because they feel it is necesssary? Again, this is not meant to attack the beliefs of others, it is just what occured to me while watching Buffy the other night.

[This message has been edited by Jordan Rossi (edited 05-11-2001).]

Jordan, not all Terats believe that the wanton destruction of baselines is acceptable. I certainly don't and neither did my compatriots in Next Step. You are correct in your analogy, any Terat who willfully kills baselines in such a manner should be looked upon with the same disregard as baselines look upon an individual who gleefully slays animals. That type of behavior is the sign of a disturbed psyche.

I hope that in the coming years that you retain your compassion for the baselines. You will help the Nova population keep a more even keel when it comes to dealing with our lesser kin.

You never answered a question I asked you awhile ago. How do your co-workers treat you?

I am curious. I have done a little investigation into your life and I see that you have become quite a stunning physical specimen. I cannot believe that your baseline friends treat you the same as they used to. How has that changed?

Actually, I did answer it, over in the opposing views. I was practicing mutlti-tasking at the time and accidentally posted it under Atwight's name though (OK, sometimes I'm a dope, I admit that). I have already appologized a couple of times so I won't say it again.

To answer your question, I am treated really well. I don't get any special treatment though, my dad has seen to that.

Because the majority of my powers arn't the flashy type most people can almost forget the whole nova thing, well except for the fact I'm really good-looking now. I think I mentioned somewhere that I got offered 5 million just to have sex with someone. Talk about an indecent proposal! (hehe)

It took my friends a couple of months for the novelty to wear off (not that I had many friends to begin with) but when they finally realized I still do all the things I used to, they started to chill out. I have been invited to a lot of very cool parties lately and have been able to explore different aspects of myself that I was afraid to before. I guess the confidence comes with the whole package.

Hey wanna hear something cool? When Utopia examined me and classified my powers they described me as "having the potential to be the perfect nova specimen, Physically, Mentally ,and Socially." Wonder what that really means?

[This message has been edited by Jordan Rossi (edited 05-11-2001).]

Time for another animal analogy...

Imagine the first scenario, only instead of monkeys, make 'em lions. For some novas, this is how the world appears to them. Hell, to some baselines, this is how the world appears to them, they just can't act on their fears like novas can.

Doesn't mean you'll find it any more acceptable, but it will help you understand where they're coming from. And that's part of Teras, understanding others and accepting them.

Quote:
I think I mentioned somewhere that I got offered 5 million just to have sex with someone

Jordan, I've spent my erupted life avoiding the spotlight for a variety of reasons. There is a certain mind-set that a philosophy of this nature requires/nutures so perhaps you could chalk my reaction up to an over-developed sense of caution.

Who pays $5,000,000.00 for the opportunity to experience a sexual encounter with an (relatively) unknown Nova? You sound like a nice guy. I infer from various comments that you're not unattractive.

Please forgive me for prying, but have you considered that the encounter was not as simple as procurement for pleasure?

I guess that's possible wizard, I never gave it much thought before though.

Jager, I'm not sure I understand what exactly you mean. I don't project energy or fly or anything, but I can affect other people. My entire being exudes sexuality. If I am accross the room from someone, by the time I cross the room I've subconciously become everything they desire (short of shapechanging). I can tell people what to do and they do it. and my hearing is so good I can even hear radio signals. Does that help? Do you know what they meant?

Jordan, so far, so good. All the effects you mentioned are linked to your control of your personal quantum energy. People who work on controlling their own personal energy at the expense of other (external)effects can become quite impressive physical specimens. Our (I am remarkably like you as far as powers go) expression of our quantum energy doesn't seem to be as impressive as other, more flashy, novas, but this works to our advantage when confronting lifes many challenges. If you want, I can send some exercise techniques that will strengthen you body and your mind. You might also discover that as you become more confident in your physical and mental prowess, you social aquem will aslo increase. Its hard, slow work, but it has paid off for me. There are other methods you might want to look into as well, which are faster, but my methods were developed to reduce the amount of strain your quantum places on your body. This reduces the amount of toxic quantum build-up, or "taint", that you will develop.

Young Mr. Rossi I suggest you take Jager up on his offer. His methods will probably be the safest method for you to follow at this point.

I have been reading this thread for the past little while and this is the advice I want to give you. Be very careful with your gifts. You will find that most people do not like to be used or manipulated, especialy by nova powers. My guess is that your sexual aura powers function on an unconscience level so I want you to think about what happens to those people when you walk out of the room. Think about how they will feel when they regain their senses. Now imagine that it was you instead of them.

From what I have read about you and what I have seen you do, I believe you have great potential and it would be a great shame if you squandered that potential.

mr rossi,

people in the late 1900's could be prosecuted for using hypnosis on people and getting them to do things for them for nothing, thos rulings still apply think how your powers are doing that to people subliminaly, where one to some how resist your abilities, thay just might want to prosecute you, be warned get a lawyer just in case of fute eventualitys

Hey, I'd like to let everyone know I got a better job! I can't really go into details about it right now, but it looks like its going to fun. Kind of like being a private detective.

Jager I would love it if you sent me some training stuff. Anything helps, right? Atwight, I didn't really think about it that way, I guess its time to go back to the Utopia training facility... Dr. Cornelius, my dad is an amazing lawyer so if any lawsuits come in, I'm sure he will defend me.

Jordan, have fun and be careful (yes, all at the same time). A little thing I learned doing this kind of new work is that some people get really pissed with you when you peak into their 'personal' business.

Actually, I will be stopping by before too long. I am retiscent to leave my training in any non-verbal form. I'll just wait for an opening in your schedule and we'll just work out, spar, and talk. Stay frosty.

Jordan,

Be careful working for Renaud. Mr. Montpillar has good intentions but he is out of his league in many respects. This "foundation" you have joined could get itself in to a lot of trouble very quickly.

Since we are in the general area, I will make this offer to you. If you get in over your head, leave a message here and I will do what I can to help you.