Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Quantum Zero - Elites

ProfPotts

Vinnie:

\"... Leave it for now, Guy. He's too scared of you to fight you one on one, anyway.\"

\"No Mate. 'e would 'ave cleaned my clock an' 'e knows it... \"

Joe:

\"Glad you backed off, man. That sort of thing isn't worth fightin' over.\"

\"I reckon that there was a test to see if we'd stand up for ourselves... an' worse an opportunity for those tossers to go all 'B' movie smulchy 'ollywood at us.\"

Joe:

\"You guys were right about Bruce...what a fruit.

Guy nods ::sly \"'e's the really scariest Nova I've met so far.

Joe:

Oh, the codename is \"Alloy.\" What do you think?\"

"Sounds good, mate! What say we celebrate by going somewhere nobody knows we're even novas an knocking a few back, quiet like?

[Guy is quite prepared to go out and party off camera and or just go to bed... on with the story!!! Huzzah!!!]

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

---MEANWHILE---

Andy is laying on his couch...you see him watching the opnet. He sighs loudly then frowns. Damned headaches. Andy thinks, *I really need to get to a real party soon. I wonder when that warper will be back...Ah well...*

He flips the opnet screen off, then gets up, streaches and turns on some nice classical techno music. He smiles, then turns all the lights out and lays back on the couch in the dark...

---BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAM---

- \"Sounds cool enough. What's the costume like? Oh, and by the way... If you have a problem with getting drinks poured over you I wouldn't call him a 'fruit' around Andy. He's kinda touchy about that kind of thing.\"

Joe responds, \"The costume? Nothing fancy, just some cammo trousers, and facepaint for my mask. Who's Andy? I'll keep that in mind whenever I actually meet him.\"

\"Sounds good, mate! What say we celebrate by going somewhere nobody knows we're even novas an knocking a few back, quiet like?\"

"Eh. Up to you man, I'll share some suds with ya."

(Joe will pretty much follow along with Guy, maybe going to drink some beer back at one the bungalows. )

\"No Mate. 'e would 'ave cleaned my clock an' 'e knows it... \"

\"I reckon that there was a test to see if we'd stand up for ourselves... an' worse an opportunity for those tossers to go all 'B' movie smulchy 'ollywood at us.\"

- "I think you're wrong. Being elite isn't about being the best in one on one combat. Everybody here knows that having a regular seat in that bar is no guarantee whatsoever that you'll be able to kick any newbie's ass on your own. Despite the image, being Elite isn't a solo thing. They're all part of the same gang and until we've proven ourself, we're not."

"That's why they back each other up, to avoid losing face and show us that they're something we're not. But most importantly to confirm to each other that whenever there's a common enemy, they're a unit."

"But that doesn't mean you wouldn't have wiped the floor with him." Vinnie shrugs and smiles "Of course, it doesn't mean you would either..."

[beers it is then. Party on!! ::wink A couple of beers in the bungalow sounds like just the level of fun Vinnie's up for right now. And then he'll just wait and see what news Ms Cable and tomorrow brings.]

- \"I think you're wrong. Being elite isn't about being the best in one on one combat. Everybody here knows that having a regular seat in that bar is no guarantee whatsoever that you'll be able to kick any newbie's ass on your own. Despite the image, being Elite isn't a solo thing. They're all part of the same gang and until we've proven ourself, we're not.\"

\"That's why they back each other up, to avoid losing face and show us that they're something we're not. But most importantly to confirm to each other that whenever there's a common enemy, they're a unit.\"

Guy frowns a little ::rolleyes "That's wot I said mate, they went all smulchy 'ollywood. You didn't expect me to start singing West Side bleedin' Story did you?" ::blink

"And as for that fat bloke, that's 'Tank' unless I miss my guess. 'e's been around for a bit an' got quite a following on the OpNet - I read about 'im when we first got 'ere. I'm guessing 'e's got a wee bit more experience at Nova size combat than me. Doesn't mean 'e'd win - but chances are...

Still, 'tough guys' really get on me nerves. I 'ad a good mind to bleedin' make him mess up 'is precious bar... till that 'einous hact of uncalled for bleedin' melodrama" ::crazy

"But lets get on wif it... I wanna know wot that bleedin' General 'as to say for 'imself"

Guy frowns a little  \"That's wot I said mate, they went all smulchy 'ollywood. You didn't expect me to start singing West Side bleedin' Story did you?\"

((No...I want you to sing "I feel pretty". Thats a great song. *walks off humming to himself*))

Day 4:

The newbies are called from their beds first thing (for a change...) by Miss Cable, & asked to join her in 'briefing room twelve'. After a varying amount of trial & error they all manage to locate the aforementioned room - it's in one of the buildings used by the 'suits' & resembles a pretty ordinary corporate meeting room. There's a long polished wood table, with chairs all 'round it, & a jug of water with glasses in the centre. At the head of the table, on the wall, is a large screen (currently turned off). In one corner of the room is a pot plant.

After the Novas have found the room & got settled Miss Cable makes an appearance. She seats herself at the head of the table, pleasantries are exchanged quickly, & she gets down to business:

"Gentlemen. You'll be pleased to hear that we have a job for you. The pay isn't top-line I'm afraid, but it's high-profile work & will be a good start to your Elite careers. I'm not at liberty to discuss the employer for this particular job, & if any information about that employer is leaked, & subsequently found to have come from one of you, then the contract will be voided & you will receive no pay. You'll also be in violation of DeVries' client confidentiality clause in your own contracts; which would be an ideal way to end any hopes you may have of a career as an Elite, & to end up on the wrong end of the company lawyers." ::sly

She waits a few moments to let her opening statement sink in, then turns to the screen behind her & taps stylus on palmtop - the large screen comes alive showing filmed footage panning across what appears to be the aftermath of some kind of disaster or battle. There are wrecked buildings & vehicles, up-rooted trees, mud everywhere, evidence of fire damage, & lots of dead bodies - mostly in military uniforms. The more observant notice that the dead men appear to be South Korean army, & the wrecked area looks like the remains of one of their military bases. Some may realise that much of the damage looks to be similar to that caused by powerful storms the world over. Miss Cable continues,

"Our client has provided this footage as an indication of the nature of this mission. Several days ago this military instilation was beset by a freak storm of incredible magnitude - meteorologists confirmed that the storm could not have been a natural phenomenon."

The screen changes to a view of several charred bodies & burnt-out buildings,

"Forensic reports also indicate that a high-yield plasma of some variety was used."

Again the view changes, this time to a close-up of various dead soldiers, with tiny red marks all over their skins,

"Even more unusual are indications that many present were killed by multiple injections of a volitile liquid acid - similar in composition to formic acid."

The screen again goes blank, & Miss Cable turns to face the Novas,

"Obviously our client has good reason to suspect Nova involvment in this incident. Our client further suspects that certain factions within a neighbouring government sponsored the incident. For reasons of international politics our client cannot sanction retaliation against this attack, but, at the same time, must be known to have retaliated - in a plausibly deniable way, naturally ::wink . That's where DVNTS comes in. Your job, gentlemen, is to even the score."

She again pauses, before turning back to the sceen, which flashes up a satellite picture. Those who know what to look for recognise the layout they see as another, remote, military base.

"This will be your target - there'll be further information on details available after the briefing. Your mission is to destroy this base & the personnel on it, but no more, & to get out."

The screen again goes blank & Miss Cable turns back to the newbies,

"The objective here is to make a statement - 'an eye for an eye' so to speak. Our client will make sure there is media coverage of your assault. Do well on this one & you'll all have reputations as first-class Elites. Are there any questions?"

\"Gentlemen. You'll be pleased to hear that we have a job for you. The pay isn't top-line I'm afraid, but it's high-profile work & will be a good start to your Elite careers. I'm not at liberty to discuss the employer for this particular job, & if any information about that employer is leaked, & subsequently found to have come from one of you, then the contract will be voided & you will receive no pay. You'll also be in violation of DeVries' client confidentiality clause in your own contracts; which would be an ideal way to end any hopes you may have of a career as an Elite, & to end up on the wrong end of the company lawyers.\" 

Guy tries to sit still and impassive through this part of the speech, but can't help thinking *Ahh yes no different to anywhere else - you always get screwed on your first job - terms and conditions always apply. Whatever woman... get to the interesting bit.* ::rolleyes

The Viewscreen shows:

There are wrecked buildings & vehicles, up-rooted trees, mud everywhere, evidence of fire damage, & lots of dead bodies - mostly in military uniforms. The more observant notice that the dead men appear to be South Korean army, & the wrecked area looks like the remains of one of their military bases. Some may realise that much of the damage looks to be similar to that caused by powerful storms the world over. Miss Cable continues,

Guy studies the screen intensely - trying to determine the tactics used by the attacking Novas - where the attacks were strongest and where most of the bodies are. He's not an expert at this sort of thing, but all the recentl training has put it in the forefront of his mind. *Bleedin' 'ell. Another bunch who didn't stand a snowball's...*

The screen changes to a view of several charred bodies & burnt-out buildings,

\"Forensic reports also indicate that a high-yield plasma of some variety was used.\"

Again the view changes, this time to a close-up of various dead soldiers, with tiny red marks all over their skins,

\"Even more unusual are indications that many present were killed by multiple injections of a volitile liquid acid - similar in composition to formic acid.\"

\"Formic acid? HCOOH. That's found in hants an nettles an stuff, that is... Looks t' me like we dealing wif at least free Novas. Could be less - but each of these attacks look pretty effective so there'd be no need to switch... surely?\"

\"Obviously our client has good reason to suspect Nova involvment in this incident. Our client further suspects that certain factions within a neighbouring government sponsored the incident. For reasons of international politics our client cannot sanction retaliation against this attack.

*No Guy. Do not mention sending in Ali bleedin' G to negotiate a truce at this point mate. They probably 'avent seen the reruns mate... Do Not! Professional. Be professional!* Guy does his best to banish the nervous humour by studying the target picture closely - trying to determine such things as access paths, prevailing wind conditions, likely sniping positions etc.

\"That's where DVNTS comes in. Your job, gentlemen, is to even the score. \"This will be your target - there'll be further information on details available after the briefing.  Your mission is to destroy this base & the personnel on it, but no more, & to get out.\"\"

*Bleedin' 'ell... it 'ad to be a bleedin' military base dinnit.*

\"The objective here is to make a statement - 'an eye for an eye' so to speak. Our client will make sure there is media coverage of your assault. Do well on this one & you'll all have reputations as first-class Elites. Are there any questions?\"

\"When do we leave, and what are our transport arrangements? 'ow much say do we get in our approach? Are we going to all jump out of a plane onto this place or what?

Vinnie:

Any other Novas to go against, or just regular soldiers, artillery, etc?\"

Guy looks interested in the answers to this question.

Andy:

\"I dont think it will be too bad. A majority of their weapons, if I remember correclty, are metal based. Alex and Vinne just need to follow me around taking people I miss out, and we will all make it out with no problems.

*So much for 'is confidence problem..." ::sarcasm

\"How much is the pay exactly? Im going to take the job, of course...but It is a topic of interest for me...considering I have to pay for a wall and all...\"

\"Well,\" replies Miss Cable, \"it's not appropriate for us to discuss exact amounts of pay in such a public forum\", she glances at around the various Novas, \"but paying for the wall should be easily covered.\"

\"I'll be needing some equipment. Oh, and what sort of resistance should we be expecting? Any other Novas to go against, or just regular soldiers, artillery, etc?\"

Miss Cable checks her palmtop,

\"I've only had a brief look over the figures, but the base appears to be regular army - so nothing more than tanks & choppers I'd imagine. General Cha...\", ::blush , \"er... 'Our client' has indicated that there'll be a substantial bonus involved if any of the Novas who participated in the attack against his people were found & dealt with - but doesn't anticipate that said Novas would be in the target area.\"

\"I dont think it will be too bad. A majority of their weapons, if I remember correclty, are metal based. Alex and Vinne just need to follow me around taking people I miss out, and we will all make it out with no problems.\"

\"Yes\", comments Miss Cable, \"I'm sure it'll be that easy...\" ::rolleyes

\"When do we leave, and what are our transport arrangements? 'ow much say do we get in our approach? Are we going to all jump out of a plane onto this place or what?\"

"You leave as soon as possible. The approach you take is up to you - you are meant to be professionals after all. We can arrange transport - what do you need?" ::bigsmile

\"You leave as soon as possible. The approach you take is up to you - you are meant to be professionals after all. We can arrange transport - what do you need?\" 

"'ow about doing some 'ALO jumps out of a C130. If Alex an' Joe don't bother with parachutes we'll 'ave surprise and 'alf the job done by the Andy an' I touch down, eh? Then maybe a chopper to do a pickup? Unless Vinnie can ferry us out of there... even still - we'd need at least one means of emergency extraction. What you think mates? Actually, if you two land on some of the guard towers or on the main barracks at night we'll 'ave a major advantage."

I've only had a brief look over the figures, but the base appears to be regular army - so nothing more than tanks & choppers I'd imagine. General Cha...\",  , \"er... 'Our client' has indicated that there'll be a substantial bonus involved if any of the Novas who participated in the attack against his people were found & dealt with - but doesn't anticipate that said Novas would be in the target area.\"

\"Oh, goodie. So no one really knows. I'll need a rifle, high-powered and with a scope. Plus, can I get one those sniper suits with camoflauge? Y know, the ones in the movies? Oh, and what's the terrain like? Jungle, forest, desert? Man, we need some more info. Any pictures of the base defenses? Surrounding area? Any minefields?\"

? Unless Vinnie can ferry us out of there... even still - we'd need at least one means of emergency extraction.

"Well, I can probably outrun any military vehicles except aircraft. So if it's needed, I can carry least one or two fellas away from the base pretty quick. Speaking of aircraft, we need to make sure that the enemy helos and planes are taken out to reduce pursuit."

\"Oh, goodie. So no one really knows. I'll need a rifle, high-powered and with a scope. Plus, can I get one those sniper suits with camoflauge? Y know, the ones in the movies? Oh, and what's the terrain like? Jungle, forest, desert? Man, we need some more info. Any pictures of the base defenses? Surrounding area? Any minefields?\"

"Mate, this is a PR excercise for us and for the G. *ahem...* client. Pretty pointless using a costume you're not going to be wearing the rest of the time... and if we go in right over the base mines aren't going to be a problem... they can't exactly mine where they're walking all the time."

\"'ow about doing some 'ALO jumps out of a C130. If Alex an' Joe don't bother with parachutes we'll 'ave surprise and 'alf the job done by the Andy an' I touch down, eh? Then maybe a chopper to do a pickup? Unless Vinnie can ferry us out of there... even still - we'd need at least one means of emergency extraction. What you think mates? Actually, if you two land on some of the guard towers or on the main barracks at night we'll 'ave a major advantage.\"

\"Well...If I knew how to HALO jump that would work... Plus we would have many people shooting at us as we came down. How about we have DMD come in the middle of the night to create a distraction? He would be the least noticable of any of us at night. Then we can...ummm...HALO jump during all this. Low altitude drop.\"

Oh, and what's the terrain like? Jungle, forest, desert? Man, we need some more info. Any pictures of the base defenses? Surrounding area? Any minefields?\"

" I would think it was Jungle. Mabey bordering on the sea. Not many deserts in Korea."

\"Mate, this is a PR excercise for us and for the G. *ahem...* client. Pretty pointless using a costume you're not going to be wearing the rest of the time... and if we go in right over the base mines aren't going to be a problem... they can't exactly mine where they're walking all the time

Joe grimaces. "Yeah, you're right. I gotta get used to this PR crap." He looks over at Ms. Cable..."No offense, ma'am." Swinging his head back to Guy, he responds. "I'm only asking because if I have to leave on foot, I don't wanna get blowed up. What the hell is a 'ALO anyways?"

\"Thats the US military's version of parachuting. I say a documentary on marines once. I think thats low altitude by defination, right?\"

"No mate. HALO is 'igh altitude, low opening. You're finking of LALO - which could also work... LALO jumps are much more dangerous than 'ALO jumps - but we could probably all forget the parachutes if we did that. Question is 'ow much SAM artillery is at the base? Wif 'ALO we go over the target site at extreme altitude an' jump wif oxygen. Up there the plane isn't targetable by most surface to air weapons and they've no way of detecting man sized objects inbound. The only question I 'ave is - how far inside enemy territory this base is. If it's closeish to the border we can 'ALO and the plane can be out of their airspace pretty darn sharpish. If it's further in we'll 'ave to get under their radar. We could even use the 'off course airliner' excuse... Alternatively, per'aps one of the DeVries novas could port us all in at once? Or Ghost can do it in a few trips?"

\"...Our client further suspects that certain factions within a neighboring government sponsored the incident....\"
*Meaning the North Korean Government.* Alex concluded. *This sounds like their style.*
\"Your job, gentlemen, is to even the score. ...Your mission is to destroy this base & the personnel on it, but no more, & to get out.\"
*In other words, to go in and butcher everyone there.*

For just a moment, the course was clear. Alex would refuse this assignment. Then he thought, *Let's think this through.*

*Ignoring how refusing this would affect me, what should be done here? What, realistically, do I expect the South Korean Government to do? As bad as this is, a war would be much worse. And as bad as this is, not doing anything would also be worse. ::Sigh:: No, this is something that must be done. And if it is ethical for someone else to do this, then it is ethical for me to do this.*

*Meat doesn't just appear in a store. Somewhere there is a farmer and a butcher. And I guess peace doesn't just appear either. This is going to be a mess.*

Joe raises a hand. "Uh...Guy? You may know how to leap out of planes, but I don't. Aside from that...I'm a bit heavy when I'm transformed. Somehow I don't think a parachute is gonna support me." Joe's comments sound indicative of worry, but his voice is steady. "Alex there," he jerks his head towards him, "I'm not too worried about, since we've seen his 'death from above' bit already. If all of us can drop in on them unannounced, great. Even better if we can take out their missiles and aircraft to make a hole for a later extraction."

He pauses, propping his chin on his fist before continuing. "Honestly, I've some serious pucker factor about leaping outta a plane at high altitude into an enemy base that we've got almost no info on. But, I think the basic plan is a good one. Have me and DMD drop in, and start smashin' all their big guns. Artillery, missiles, vehicles n' stuff. Then we got Vinnie, Guy, and Andy to do umm...crowd control. Once me and Big D finish, we help with cleanup. Does that sound about right?"

*Man, I hope I get outta this alive.*

But, I think the basic plan is a good one. Have me and DMD drop in, and start smashin' all their big guns. Artillery, missiles, vehicles n' stuff. Then we got Vinnie, Guy, and Andy to do umm...crowd control. Once me and Big D finish, we help with cleanup. Does that sound about right?\"

"Sounds about right. Make sure to target their shorter range items though...like tanks. Things they can fire at people on the ground...like me, Vinnie and Guy. You guys just need to give me room. You remember what I did at superimpose? I can do a **** load worse...and with thoes stars a I have...heh...Can you say magnetic hurricane of death? Oh yea. THats why I suggested just having guy and Vinnie bat cleanup for me...I can walk through the camp and get a lot of them. I think it may also be a good Idea to come from 3 different sides. Alloy from one side. DMD from one side. The rest of us from the last side. Just meet at the middle if we can."

Guy listens to all the comments thoughtfully.

"Right. The way I see it, we 'ave free big weapons 'ere. We've got Alloy an' DMD sized landing craters. Then once down we 'ave Lodestone's death 'urricane fingy. We need to prioritise our targets for the landing craters and then we need to plan Lodestone's route - 'e should go frough the areas wif the most soft targets since 'e can prolly take personell out faster than the rest of us. I also fink we need to give Lodestone a bit of space to operate depending on 'ow exact that power is. So - yes - per'aps we should split up. Ghost and I can run or jump ::tongue interference since we can get around quickly. We should be able to help out if anyone hits trouble they can't 'andle alone - provided we all remain in constant radio contact.

So the question now is - 'ow accurately can we all 'ALO jump. Hactually jumping isn't that 'ard... you just pull the cord when your altimeter goes beepety bleedin' beep beep. But we can't count on that much accuracy so - maybe we should fink about wot 'appens if we do miss - which we could easily. "

Guy gets up and points at the building with the most communication masts on it. "So - if we all come down together and all aim for this building initially before we split up. Maybe if we all 'ang on to something metal, Lodestone can pull us all in close on the way down an' use this for 'is anchor? What you fink Andy?"

"That way one of the big lads can land on it and take it out of the equation. Alternatively, I can land on or jump onto it an' plant a C4 charge wifout a problem."

"Wherever you two 'eavy blokes land - you're going to cause a panic at very least which isn't a bad fing, but one on their comms and one on their 'eavy weapons would be best?

Wot you lot fink?"

Vinnie has been sitting silently, studying the pictures of the base and listening to the suggestions. At Guy's summary he nods.

- "I agree. We need to pick our targets and strike a few key points before they know what hit them. Comms, heavy wepons, power supply, ammo storage... Now, we can do at least three big surprise attacks. We have our two portable earthquakes here, and we've got good old Mr C4, as Guy says. Let's not forget the normal weaponry, guys."

"Assuming we have good intelligence on the layout of this base, I can place a pretty big bomb anywhere on the facilities. That should cause a bit of confusion, which would be amplified when the big guys come crashing down. Hell, if we use the right stuff, we could level the base in one blow. The more efficient, the better. We don't want to go around killing every single soldier personally, do we? I mean, of course it's about sending a message, but is showing off really the point here?"

"Speaking of sending messages... ::devil Ms Cable... do we know where the commanding officer's quarters are...? And does the client have any special wishes for him?"

Alex says, \"Wait a moment. We are forgetting something. Should we assume that we will run into those other novas? Or if not assume, perhaps plan for it?\"

"You fink we should take an extinguisher for plasma man, insecticide for ant-lad an' a brolly for the big drip?"

Alex says, \"Wait a moment.  We are forgetting something.  Should we assume that we will run into those other novas?  Or if not assume, perhaps plan for it?\"

- "Yes, definitely. But let's work out the details of plan A first, ok?"

"You fink we should take an extinguisher for plasma man, insecticide for ant-lad an' a brolly for the big drip?"

"No." Alex responds. "I'm just thinking we need to worry about dividing our forces and we also need to worry about what happens if we run into a couple of fliers."

\"No.\" Alex responds. \"I'm just thinking we need to worry about dividing our forces and we also need to worry about what happens if we run into a couple of fliers.\"

"Well, it doesn't really bother me too much. I just don't wat to be near Lodestone when 'e opens up with 'is deathstorm."

Also - I'm not too sure what we can really do if they 'ave a lot of flying novas. I reckon our best bet is to just make sure the (w)'ole thing goes down fast. Per'aps we can start out split up and work our way together?"

"I think the 3 pronged attack is the best plan so far. If there's other Novas there, we're probably hosed anyway cuz' they knew we were comin'. We'll deal with them as best we can, but I agree we should try to fight any hostile Novas as a group." Joe looks around at the group. "So. Who gets what target? I'll take Comms if there's no objections."

...Also - I'm not too sure what we can really do if they 'ave a lot of flying novas.  I reckon our best bet is to just make sure the (w)'ole thing goes down fast.  Per'aps we can start out split up and work our way together?"

"Perhaps Loadstone could force them to the ground? Wrap them up in metal or something."

\"Also - I'm not too sure what we can really do if they 'ave a lot of flying novas.  I reckon our best bet is to just make sure the (w)'ole thing goes down fast.  Per'aps we can start out split up and work our way together?\"

- "Nothing we know so far indicates that they have access to a lot of flying novas. There's always Murphy, but as far as we know we got three novas tops to worry about. We know one of them controls weather, so there's a chance the weather report could tell us if he's there or not. By the way, just to be clear about it... Ms Cable, these novas aren't colleagues of us, are they?" ::sly

Turning back to the brainstorming he continues "I agree that we should enter separately and work our way together. The comms and radar have to go first, so if you take that target, Joe, I need to hit something else simultaneously. I suggest blowing up their ammo storages or something like that, if we can find it. Or I can go in and find the guy in charge and make sure he doesn't split. Whatever I do, I have to rely on not getting seen. Cause unlike you guys, I'm not bulletproof."

He gets up and points to the photos of the base, "OK. Is this all we know about it? Do we have any thermal images or other scans that could tell us more about what lies where? If we have to go with what these images show us, I say we take out the comms here and the choppers here at about the same time." - He looks at Joe and Alex - "You guys figure out who takes what, but I think the fastest one of you should take the choppers, since they're farther away from the rest of the base. Would be a good idea to blow up their fuel depot too, by the way."

He studies the layout of the base a few more moments before he turns back to the table "Andy, you and I port in here. That looks to be the main barracks and where you should be able to do the most damage. I'm not going to stick around, so you'll be on your own, ok? Guy, I think you should drop on the base along with Alloy and DMD, but land a bit later. We need to keep an eye out for unknown threats, and I've got a feeling you and I are the sneakiest part of the team." - He smiles in Joe's direction - "And I do intend to bring a rifle, and then some... ::sly "

Vinnie pauses a moment, mentally going over the plan. "Help me out here. Are there any other surprise attacks we should do before the big guys touch down, or should I just port Andy in and improvise from there?"

"As far as other novas are concerned... Unless they're hired help we'll just have to do what we can to fight them when they turn up. We know too little about them to make any plans, unfortunately. If they are hired guns, I say we keep our eyes on the ball. The job is to wipe out the base and all personell on it, and get out. That does not include battling freelance novas more than we have to. Unless they're in uniform they're not part of our main target."

[OOC: Just how big is this base, anyway? How many soldiers, approximately?]

((OOC) When did this base become an airbase?  Prof hasn't mentioned planes yet, has he??!?!?!!?!?  If it's an airbase it changes pretty much everything!)

(OOC: My mistake. I've deleted the references to planes in the previous post. There are still choppers, though, which in my mind is a bigger problem than planes...)

(OOC: My mistake. I've deleted the references to planes in the previous post. There are still choppers, though, which in my mind is a bigger problem than planes...)

[OOC] Sure - but there's not much we can do about choppers if there are a lot - whereas we can put a bigass crater in a runway. We do need to know things like Choppers - how many? any even? - should be blatant from satellite photos unless they're keeping them hidden and not even using them for routine missions - which seems pretty silly since they wouldn't be reliable when they were needed. We need to know approximate troop numbers and things like numbers of tanks and armoured vehicles - and from which direction helicopter gunships are likely to come - and LZ1 LZ2 LZ3 for extraction.[/OOC]

Miss Cable listens to all the questions & comments & answers as best she can,

"Well, gentlemen, since no-one has expressed a desire to refuse this job I can add a few of those details I promised."

She turns again to the screen, adding,

"Oh... & no - these other Novas aren't DeVries employees. Or, at least, aren't acting as such & aren't our employees as far as we know."

Serveral more satallite pictures of the target base appear on the screen, with various close-ups on vehicles & the like,

"The base is located in a remote region of the Kangwon-Do province of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea - that is to say, North Korea. Like 80% of the country, the area is rugged (& basically uninhabitable) mountains & dense forests. There are some forestry & mining concerns in the area, but the base is mosty of strategic value due to it's location near the DMZ; it is often the centre for various military exercises & tests."

"The base is an army concern, so jets won't be an issue (unless you let them call for air-support). Base compliment is one battalion (six to seven hundred men), although exact numbers depend on what exercises are going on at the time. They have around ten tanks, although the terrain doesn't favour their use, anti-aircraft guns & missles, motorcycles, jeeps, trucks - the usual compliment of military vehicles. They also have at least ten helicopter gunships, & five transport 'choppers. Infantry troops are issued the usual selection of assault rifles, grenade launchers, machine-guns & the like."

"Power is supplied by a generator house here...", she indicates a building near the centre of the base, "... & there are back-up generators underground. The base has good communications, radar, & other sensory capabilities, & is surrounded by a 3,000 volt electric fence."

Miss Cable indicates a number of large concrete buildings,

"These are storage buildings - mostly food & other essentials, since the place is rather isolated. Water is tapped from an underground source. Small-arms ammunition, tank shells, missiles, & gunship armaments are all stored seperately."

"Both helicopter & motorcycle patrols are common in the area around the base, as are foot-patrols."

She turns back to the table,

"As far as tactics are concerned - that's a little beyond my job description," she smiles ::smile , "However - the test results from your instructors indicate that The Samurai should be able to survive any fall without the need for a parachute (which makes sense, considering how high we've all seen him jump!), & the DMD has proven his own sky-diving ability. Since Alloy survived being hit by... er... 'catching' a falling DMD, chances are he could take that sort of fall as well. Although he's not mastered it, Lodestone should be able to use his control over magnetic forces to levitate, & the Ghost - well, that's obvious." ::sly

"Approaching via aircraft would have to be a high-altitude venture - flying low over North Korean airspace is never a good idea. DeVries could supply a stealth-capable aircraft for the job, but the costs would need to be taken out of your commissions."

"Explosive & other weapons are also available - although, as far as you've informed us, only The Samurai has the training to handle explosives - & we're not about to let un-trained personnel play around with things like that!"

\"Explosive & other weapons are also available - although, as far as you've informed us, only The Samurai has the training to handle explosives - & we're not about to let un-trained personnel play around with things like that!\"

- "Well... I'm not talking about me rigging something with C4. That just wouldn't work. what I'm thinking about is a prerigged bomb with a activation button and a 5-second delay. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to handle that. As long as Guy can get it ready, I can place it."

Vinnie looks around at the other guys "Apart from that, these details fit well with what we've assumed so far. Far as I can tell our plan should work, don't you think? Only thing is: Lodestone or one of the big guys have to hit the choppers early, take them out of the picture."

Archived