Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Quantum Zero - Elites

ProfPotts

Verse stares at Thunderbolt an then starts laughing, so hard tears roll down his face. After a minute he calms himself, then looks the other elite straight in the eye, "You must be the dumbest person I've ever met. Saying that you know she's being held somewhere in the capital is like saying you know she's still in the FSS. I could have told you that. How do you plan to find her before you're caught? Do you speak the language, do you look like the locals? Can you blend in, find out where she is, and get that information to the rest of us who aren't that sneaky? Or would you, and every last one of the peope you want to take with you stick out like sore thumbs and get attacked very soon after arriving? Do you even understand the issue I'm having? They won't even let reporters in, and you think a group of foreigners isn't going to call attention to themselves? Did you even think at all about this before deciding to try and rescue her? I have. We need better information about where Hannibal's harem is. Knowing she's there is a good start, but unless we can pinpoint the location, it doesn't really help us that much. Unless you're planning on taking on the whole FSS army and all their novas, that is? "

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Well I don't know Verse. Let's see, I seemed to do a pretty good job of blending into their second largest city, during a war, and getting pictures of their telecommunications as well as every enemy elite stationed there; and they never knew I was there. So yeah, I think I can. And what, you think Hannibal would have entrusted that information to his best friend, that hick One Man Army? I'd hazard a guess that a quick look on the OpNet'll give us more than that idiot will. And if it comes down that my only choice is to take on their whole army, then yeah, I will."

Well I don't know Verse. Let's see, I seemed to do a pretty good job of blending into their second largest city, during a war, and getting pictures of their telecommunications as well as every enemy elite stationed there; and they never knew I was there. So yeah, I think I can. And what, you think Hannibal would have entrusted that information to his best friend, that hick One Man Army? I'd hazard a guess that a quick look on the OpNet'll give us more than that idiot will. And if it comes down that my only choice is to take on their whole army, then yeah, I will."

Verse shrugs, thinks for a moment, then concentrates for a few seconds, and gestures with his hand, as he does a warp tears open next to them and he says, in an angry tone of voice, "Go then, there's the desert outside the FSS capital. Call me when you need extraction, and hope that I'm answering. Don't ever ask for my help again."

Whether or not they go through, several seconds later the warp snaps shut, and Verse is on the way back into his bungalow, closing and locking the door behind him. Looking at Andy, he says, calmly, "Any luck?"

'Okay, yeah. Sure - I do need to reclaim my mask, but I'm States-side at the moment. Where's this op' happening?'

"Tonight. We are getting paid well, as well as a premium for the short notice. We are getting back a certian item that OMA has in his posisition that our employer lost. I know that you are probably celebrating...but you may not get another chanse like this."

'Sounds like it's gonna' be another one of those missions...'

"Actually, no. Thats something totally different, but you can help save Jolt if you want. This one should be a cake walk, even for me. Heh. So you are defenatly in?"

If he responds in the positive again, he will get his location for a quick pick up. When Verse gets back in and asks him he gives him a thumbs up since he is still on the phone I am sure.

Verse shrugs, thinks for a moment, then concentrates for a few seconds, and gestures with his hand, as he does a warp tears open next to them and he says, in an angry tone of voice, "Go then, there's the desert outside the FSS capital. Call me when you need extraction, and hope that I'm answering. Don't ever ask for my help again."

Thunderbolt looks at Shockwave, shrugs, then loudly yells, "Tank, Samurai, if you're coming, the bus is leaving now!"

As he steps through the warp, Thunderbolt looks over at Verse, his voice now quiet, "I...thanks. I owe you one." Having said all he could, he steps through the warp, and waits to see if Shockwave follows.

"Tank, Samurai, if you're coming, the bus is leaving now!"

Unable to get a word in edgewise between Verse & Thunderbolt, Shockwave just follows Aaron as he steps through the portal, giving Verse one last steel-eyed look as she goes...

"I...thanks. I owe you one."

... A few seconds later the warp snaps shut - nowhere near enough time for Tank or The Samurai to get there from other parts of the base, even if they had heard Thunderbolt's yell. Shockwave shakes her head,

'Bloody drongo... Guess he wants us t' fail, just t' prove him right...' ::angry

Looking around the pair find themselves in a desert region - dry land with just a few tufts of tough grass here & there, plus scattered rocks. Since the land around Abéché is all quite fertile (thanks in no small part to Hannibal's efforts to restore the highland region) it seems that they have a way to go yet. Glancing at Thunderbolt Shockwave sighs,

'Okay - tell me you brought a compass...'

Meanwhile, back at the base...

"Tonight. We are getting paid well, as well as a premium for the short notice. We are getting back a certian item that OMA has in his posisition that our employer lost. I know that you are probably celebrating...but you may not get another chanse like this."

'I asked where Lodestone, not when.'

"Actually, no. Thats something totally different, but you can help save Jolt if you want. This one should be a cake walk, even for me. Heh. So you are defenatly in?"

'Uh... thought we weren't meant to touch the FSS for a bit? Ah well... I'm probably in, yeah - just tell me where I'm expected to go first.'

If he responds in the positive again, he will get his location for a quick pick up. When Verse gets back in and asks him he gives him a thumbs up since he is still on the phone I am sure.

At Andy's thumbs up Verse merely says, "Good." Then walks over and sits down at his OpNet terminal.

Verse rattles off a set of GPS coordinates, and an address, seemingly from memory when Andy asks, but seems preoccupied with the profiles he's looking over.

Andy nods and speaks into the phone. "We will be there in half an hour. Stay out of site untill we get there if you get there early. We want the element of suprise."

He finishes with whatever other questions Jetstream has, then hangs up.

"We are good to go on that front. What happened with Thunderbolt? Shockwave didn't hit you did she?"

Andy frowned. He had hoped that Verse could talk some sense into them since he was not able to...not that he had explained every single detail to them.

One step at a time though... First, help Verse...get him to 100%. Then Jolt.

But...lets see if he could get himself more prepared. Since he had gotten back that documentary did him wonders, and he hadent touched most of his money (what 'little' he had gotten). Lets see if he can pick up some fun gear.

"Is it ok if I use your phone one more time?"

If it is, he picks up the phone again and dials Ms. Cable (or his next contact if her voice mail picks up).

"This is Lodestone. I want one of thoes stealth suits...when can I pick it up?" he says, grining. Sometimes it payed to be forceful.

Somewhere in the Desert:

... A few seconds later the warp snaps shut - nowhere near enough time for Tank or The Samurai to get there from other parts of the base, even if they had heard Thunderbolt's yell. Shockwave shakes her head,

'Bloody drongo... Guess he wants us t' fail, just t' prove him right...' 

Thunderbolt nods his head in agreement, "Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me..."

Looking around the pair find themselves in a desert region - dry land with just a few tufts of tough grass here & there, plus scattered rocks. Since the land around Abéché is all quite fertile (thanks in no small part to Hannibal's efforts to restore the highland region) it seems that they have a way to go yet. Glancing at Thunderbolt Shockwave sighs,

'Okay - tell me you brought a compass...'

Thunderbolt scans the area, then turns back to Shockwave and shrugs, "Uh, no. I didin't exactly plan on coming right at this instance. I'm gonna take a look and see if I can find anything..."

With that, he takes up into the air and spins around, looking for signs of civilization, or at least the fertile outlying areas of Abeche.

DVNTS:

"We will be there in half an hour. Stay out of site untill we get there if you get there early. We want the element of suprise."

'No problem,' answers Jetstream, 'I'll see you guys there then.' He hangs up.

Dialing Ms Cable's number Andy does, indeed get her voice mail. After that he's not too sure who to call [no Bureaucracy skills...] but eventually gets directed to the Supply Office, where he gets to make his request...

"This is Lodestone. I want one of thoes stealth suits...when can I pick it up?"

The guy on the other end of the phone sounds quite pleased,

'An invisibility suit? Great choice sir - one of our best sellers! Just one moment while I pull up your file... Ah, here we are. Hmmm... well you have clearance & your credit seems all in order - good job in Chad by the way sir, stopping all those Ultramachineguns? Us lads in the supply department have a good idea of what those babies can do - very impressive. Now... right, could you stop by for a fitting in about an hour? Or would you like to book a fitting for a later date?'

Meanwhile Verse's OpNet terminal bleeps at him to indicate it's located a suitable Elite candidate:

Jude "The Jaguar" Mason - an Elite who's been working out of the New York offices for some time, mostly bodyguard jobs. He's got a near-perfect employment record & has a list of satisfied customers to his credit. His powers appear to revolve around lightning-fast reflexes, as well as heightened perceptive talents. Although he's got no heavy Nova-level combats to his name, he has apparantly requested more dangerous missions on a number of occassions. Most importantly, he's just become available to hire - having completed a two month contract as a bodyguard for an unnamed party.

The FSS:

"Uh, no. I didin't exactly plan on coming right at this instance. I'm gonna take a look and see if I can find anything..."

Taking to the skies Aaron quickly spots more fertile land about a kilometer away, as well as several well-travelled dirt roads. Far in the distance he can just make out what appears to be a major city. On the way there seem to be several small villages. It appears that Verse was, despite Shockwave's assessment, true to his word.

Numerous people are (naturally) around - working in fields or traveling the roads. He sees only a few motorised vehicles on the roads, but is too far away to tell what type they are. It is obvious though that as a couple of White faces in a landscape of Black & Arabic features, he & Shockwave will - as they are - stand out like proverbial sore thumbs...

Meanwhile Verse's OpNet terminal bleeps at him to indicate it's located a suitable Elite candidate:

Jude "The Jaguar" Mason - an Elite who's been working out of the New York offices for some time, mostly bodyguard jobs. He's got a near-perfect employment record & has a list of satisfied customers to his credit. His powers appear to revolve around lightning-fast reflexes, as well as heightened perceptive talents. Although he's got no heavy Nova-level combats to his name, he has apparantly requested more dangerous missions on a number of occassions. Most importantly, he's just become available to hire - having completed a two month contract as a bodyguard for an unnamed party.

Verse first checks to see where he's located (I'm assuming New York), and then sends a message to his agent via the OpNet on the job.

Looking over at Andy, who's still on the phone, he says, "Tell them I'll pay for it, and then call Jetstream and ask him if he can pick up a guy called The Jaguar." Verse then reads off the Jaguar's lacation from the screen.

'An invisibility suit? Great choice sir - one of our best sellers! Just one moment while I pull up your file... Ah, here we are. Hmmm... well you have clearance & your credit seems all in order - good job in Chad by the way sir, stopping all those Ultramachineguns? Us lads in the supply department have a good idea of what those babies can do - very impressive.

" Thanks! I try to please. If you want I can do it again for you guys later on. " he says.

Now... right, could you stop by for a fitting in about an hour? Or would you like to book a fitting for a later date?'

"Do you have a 'loaner' for my bodytype mabey? I didn't think it would take a fitting. I was hoping to have it for a mission in half an hour."

Aaron levitates himself back down, hovering a few inches off of the ground in front of Shockwave. "Well, the good news is we're not too far out. The city is that way. There are a few villages along the way, and possibly some transportation we could borrow. So, the way I see it, we have a few choices. One, we could just fly up above some cloud cover and go directly into the city. Two, we can fly or hoof it until we make it to the first village, throw ourselves on the kindness of strangers and see if we can get some more local attire for us. The good news is that we can get a traditional muslim ensemble for you, and no one should really notice your skin color; I'm just not sure what I'm gonna do yet. Three, we could fly until we catch sight of a vehicle on the road, and 'hijack' it, and use it to get into the city. Any thoughts or recommendations besides don't piss off Verse when you need a warp?"

Guy jogs past the familiar buildings of the DVNTS base: his fatigues ragged and torn, mask tucked into his webbing - still covered in sand, and feeling more than a little worse for wear.

*You're getting too old for this shite, mate.* ::rolleyes he says to himself in his head... mostly for the pure ridiculousness of thinking it at 20....

"BLOODY 'eLL" ::blush he mutters under his breath as he passes the DMD's bungalow - his enhanced senses picking up more than he bargained for.

... and speeds down to Masks where he hopes to find his good mate, Alloy.

Sitting at the bar next to Zombie, Joe enjoyed their shared silence as best he could. He hadn't been able to enjoy much lately, but he took comfort in the presence of the other Elite. Zombie understood; sometimes you just didn't feel like talking.

He'd made good on his word...everytime he caught up with him in Masks, he'd bought Zombie a beer.

Now he sat, trying to ignore the buzz of thoughts pestering him. Mani's sudden reappearance...her unusual relationship with Alex. Then the whole mess of T-Bolt wanting to bust into the FSS and save Jolt. Joe snorted.

Jolt knew the risks as well as anyone, she knew there was always a chance of being captured or killed on these missions.

And why'd he lost his temper like that on Tank? Tank was an ass, but he was always like that. Nothing different about his behavior today. But...that 'losers' comment. No skin off his back dealing with name-calling; he'd sure been called a lot worse. It was nothing to him.

But that 'losers' had applied to Samurai too, and that was something he couldn't take. He knew what really went down. Sammy had been all set to give his life just to make a point. It was...insane. There was no other word for it. How could you possibly decide to suicide yourself like that? Joe hadn't had the greatest life, that was for damn sure, but it was better than the alternative.

When he was a kid, Dad had taught him not to fear death...he remembered when he still believed all that jazz about the afterlife. And he remembered singing the songs for his old friend, guiding him along the trail to the end. But he'd kept the songs locked away since then. He'd almost sung again for Samurai, but he couldn't make himself give up hope. Decay hadn't been sure.

He'd have to talk to Decay again...he needed his mask back, or he'd lose his Elite identity, and any chance at future success. Still, he wasn't looking forward to the conversation.

And into Joe's dark musing comes chugging a torn vision man himself - exactly as Joe remembers him at the last moments of the war.

"Strawberry, mates! Ten eight to see ya an 'at, but Shockwave an' Bolt are going after Jolt an' I fought we might lend 'em a brass or two?"

::blush

"er... no need to look shocked... Rumours of my demise an 'at... 'avent got the foggiest myself eivver, really."

And then any suspicion of this Samurai being some sort of apparition are permanently and completely removed by him vaulting the bar, purloining a can of beer with an apologetic grin at the bartender ::happy and saying "One for the road, eh?"

"Well... Don't just stand 'ere! Get off your Khyber an let's go eh!" he says as he gives Alloy a very British - "Oh My God, Let's not have a moment" - pat on the shoulder.

Verse's War Room:

"Tell them I'll pay for it, and then call Jetstream and ask him if he can pick up a guy called The Jaguar."

Checking the information on Jaguar Verse sees that he is, indeed, located at the DeVries offices in New York City. He also quickly realises that, considering Jetstream said he was 'half an hour' away from OMA's location in Texas, & that the flying Elite's top cruising speed is recorded as around one & a half thousand kilometers per hour, it'd likely take him something like a little under two hours to fly to New York - where he'd have to pick up Jaguar (& not all male Elites like to be seen carrying butch black men in their arms... ::unsure ) - then spend another couple of hours getting back. He himself, on the other hand, could pop to NYC in a matter of seconds...

"Do you have a 'loaner' for my bodytype maybe? I didn't think it would take a fitting. I was hoping to have it for a mission in half an hour."

The man on the other end of the phone laughs... then stops quickly when he realises that Lodestone isn't joking...

'Oh... I'm sorry to have to tell you this, sir, but invisibility suits aren't exactly an "off the peg" purchase - each one is crafted for the individual customer. There just isn't the call for mass-production... No - ahem - "loaners" either I'm afraid, sir. But come in for a fitting in an hour & we can get started on your suit right away. Should be ready in a few days - I'll make it a priority, sir.'

The FSS:

"Well, the good news is we're not too far out. The city is that way. There are a few villages along the way, and possibly some transportation we could borrow. So, the way I see it, we have a few choices. One, we could just fly up above some cloud cover and go directly into the city. Two, we can fly or hoof it until we make it to the first village, throw ourselves on the kindness of strangers and see if we can get some more local attire for us. The good news is that we can get a traditional muslim ensemble for you, and no one should really notice your skin color; I'm just not sure what I'm gonna do yet. Three, we could fly until we catch sight of a vehicle on the road, and 'hijack' it, and use it to get into the city. Any thoughts or recommendations besides don't piss off Verse when you need a warp?"

Shockwave looks thoughtful for a moment, then shrugs,

'Damn - I usually just hit stuff & let someone else worry about th' plan... But if a burka will conceal my lovely curves, then I guess one would hide you too! Just don't look anyone in th' eyes...' ::wink

Glancing towards the horizon in the direction Thunderbolt indicated, Shockwave adds,

'Disguises sound like a good idea. We still need t' locate Hannibal's place, & just flying around will likely get us noticed before we do that. I guess a burka for me & some desert robes for you would do - you'd better get some sunglasses as well. I don't supposed you actually speak any of th' local lingo, right? I know I don't. But I imagine we can find someone t' quietly "question" when we get t' th' city.'

Shrugging again the Australian Elite adds,

'Unless we want t' wait for nightfall, I reckon we should head, sneaky-like, t th' nearest village & see about new outfits & maybe a vehicle.'

Masks:

"Strawberry, mates! Ten eight to see ya an 'at, but Shockwave an' Bolt are going after Jolt an' I fought we might lend 'em a brass or two?.. er... no need to look shocked... Rumours of my demise an 'at... 'avent got the foggiest myself eivver, really."

Despite his codename's associations, Zombie looks genuinely amazed to see Guy back from the dead! For the moment he just sits, staring, lost for words... ::blink The repair crews in the bar to fix the wall around where the door used to be are equally shocked, as is the long-suffering bartender.

"One for the road, eh?.. Well... Don't just stand 'ere! Get off your Khyber an let's go eh!"

Moments after The Samurai makes his dramatic (if cockney) entrance the scarred visage of Pursuer graces the bar with his presence. The veteran Elite fixes his gaze on Guy & says,

'So, it really is you. The General wants to see you for a debriefing immediately.'

Turning to leave he pauses, glances back, & adds...

'Welcome home soldier.'

... before rising into the air & disappearing off.

The 'General' he refers to is, of course, ex-SAS commander & head of DVNTS General Frank Carrington, the man who runs the Namibian base (oft-refered to as 'Camp Carrington' by the Elites who are resident there). Despite being 'just' a baseline the man's second in charge of the whole DeVries operation, & has the respect of all his Elites - his outstanding military record speaks for itself. It's not polite to keep him waiting...

DeVries Regional Offices - New York City:

Relaxing in the comfortable Nova's lounge in the metropolitan office building Jaguar has all his immediate needs on-tap: widescreen OpNet service, coffee maker, free snack vending machine, individual OpNet terminals, the latest magazines on everything from fashion to guns, & - of course - plenty of couches & easy chairs to sink into.

Not all the Novas who came & went in the New York branch office were Elites, like him, but with employees like the voluptuous brunette Nova artist Constantina Zavinovich popping in & out, Jaguar felt he couldn't complain about the company he kept. The fact that the edgey art genius was known to exchange lovers like most people changed shirts probably added a little to his hopes in that department...

Of course, with his last payoff from that ViaSoft job in the bank, even after DeVries' hefty commision, he could afford to go out & get any woman he wanted. Considering where he'd started in the city it was a good life, & yet... the excitement had gone out of it. Sure being a Nova, an Elite, was thrilling in itself to begin with, but after his initial stint at Camp Carrington the constant bodyguarding duties he was so good at had started to really drag. No one was suicidal enough to bother attacking his clients anymore... at least, it seemed that way sometimes. He wondered if Bennet, his DVNTS rep', had finally gotten his message about wanting some more action-oriented jobs...

With that thought one of the pretty girls from the secretarial pool nervously pushes open the door to the lounge & trots up beside the relaxing Elite,

'Mister Jaguar, sir - you have a new job. The client wants you ready as soon as possible. A retrieval of property in Texas...'

Yeah - the usual sort of thing... at least it wasn't acting as a bodyguard to some overweight...

'... Nova-level combat is expected.'

With a polite smile the girl points to one of the individual OpNet stations,

'I transfered the details to station three, sir.'

Masks:

Despite his codename's associations, Zombie looks genuinely amazed to see Guy back from the dead! For the moment he just sits, staring, lost for words... ::blink The repair crews in the bar to fix the wall around where the door used to be are equally shocked, as is the long-suffering bartender.

Moments after The Samurai makes his dramatic (if cockney) entrance the scarred visage of Pursuer graces the bar with his presence. The veteran Elite fixes his gaze on Guy & says,

'So, it really is you. The General wants to see you for a debriefing immediately.'

*Busted!*

Turning to leave he pauses, glances back, & adds...

'Welcome home soldier.'

Guy starts to salute - realises he doesn't have to any more - and so turns it into a wave of gratitude and a nod. [a serious one]

... before rising into the air & disappearing off.

"Right... looks like I'm not going hanywhere right now - prolly a good fing too. You lot might want to look up Bolt an' Wave at Verse's fough... 'at nutter will prolly 'ave insisted 'ey go already wifout a plan or anyfing... We need some more sober 'eads from green team keeping 'em safe."

Guy shrugs happily... ::tongue

"Seeya..."

...and jogs off to see the General... tryng to finish his beer on the way.

'Oh... I'm sorry to have to tell you this, sir, but invisibility suits aren't exactly an "off the peg" purchase - each one is crafted for the individual customer. There just isn't the call for mass-production... No - ahem - "loaners" either I'm afraid, sir. But come in for a fitting in an hour & we can get started on your suit right away. Should be ready in a few days - I'll make it a priority, sir.'

Lodestone frowns as the guys laughs and explains...but can understand that making things takes time.

"No, that is fine. What I will do is call you guys back when my schedule has cleared up a little. I'm not sure when I will be available again. Hopefully I will be available here in an hour or two...just depends on how things go. I may also have you make some custom weapon weapons for me, so get thinking on some fun stuff for me. Talk to ya later."

He hangs up the phone and looks over at Verse.

"No invisability suit for me...for now at least. So you wanted me to call Jetstream to pick up Jaguar for you?"

"Strawberry, mates!  Ten eight to see ya an 'at, but Shockwave an' Bolt are going after Jolt an' I fought we might lend 'em a brass or two?"

"er... no need to look shocked... Rumours of my demise an 'at...  'avent got the foggiest myself eivver, really."

::blink

"Well... Don't just stand 'ere!  Get off your Khyber an let's go eh!" he says as he gives Alloy a very British - "Oh My God, Let's not have a moment" - pat on the shoulder.

::blink

Stunned, Joe just sits there for a moment. Then, setting his beer ever so carefully on the bar in front of him, he reaches up to touch the spot on his shoulder that Samurai just patted.

During Pursuer's entrance and instructions for Samurai, the Native-American Elite simply stares at his recent team-leader, half-expecting him to suddenly morph into someone or something else...

"Right... looks like I'm not going hanywhere right now - prolly a good fing too. You lot might want to look up Bolt an' Wave at Verse's fough... 'at nutter will prolly 'ave insisted 'ey go already wifout a plan or anyfing... We need some more sober 'eads from green team keeping 'em safe."

Alright...it was definitely Sammy. But he hadn't said anything about Alloy chucking him into a time-blender...maybe he didn't remember? Or did he have a different reason not to mention it?

"Seeya..."

Oh, hell no. He wasn't gettin' away that easy. In a flash, Joe was off his barstool and after the jogging Samurai. Catching up to him easily, Joe ran alongside, pacing him. "Coming with you to talk with the General."

He hangs up the phone and looks over at Verse.

"No invisability suit for me...for now at least. So you wanted me to call Jetstream to pick up Jaguar for you?"

Having realized his mistake, Verse sighs, "No, we'll have to stop over in New York and pick him up. I hope he's worth it. "

Verse sighs again and signs off his OpNet terminal, then looks at Andy "Listen, I'm going to go rest up a bit now. Try to get some juice back, you know. I'm running a bit low, especially since it's now a two warp trip. Feel free to hang out, just make sure you're here when it's time to leave. "

Getting up, the Verse walks over to the bedroom trailing tiny black sparks, unlocks the door and goes in, closing and locking it behind him.

"Listen, I'm going to go rest up a bit now. Try to get some juice back, you know. I'm running a bit low, especially since it's now a two warp trip. Feel free to hang out, just make sure you're here when it's time to leave. "

"Are you going to sleep or something? We have to be there in half an hour. Thats not much of a rest."

'I transfered the details to station three, sir.'

Jaguar sits down, taking in the case information at a glance.

What kind of 'property retrieval'? Oh, here.. Eufibre?

He looks up.

That doesn't click. With the money it's costing to hire a squad of Elites, you could buy a ****ing acre of eufibre.

Then he sees the timeframe.

And go time is in Texas in half an hour?

I guess they'll be in touch.

Standing quickly and signing off, the black man strides to the weapons check to regain his revolvers. After that, he heads to the req room to temporarily acquire a shotgun, preferably one he'd be comfortable referring to as a "cannon".

After that, he just waits for the call..

During Pursuer's entrance and instructions for Samurai, the Native-American Elite simply stares at his recent team-leader, half-expecting him to suddenly morph into someone or something else...

Alright...it was definitely Sammy. But he hadn't said anything about Alloy chucking him into a time-blender...maybe he didn't remember? Or did he have a different reason not to mention it?

Oh, hell no. He wasn't gettin' away that easy. In a flash, Joe was off his barstool and after the jogging Samurai. Catching up to him easily, Joe ran alongside, pacing him. "Coming with you to talk with the General."

Guy seems to deflate a bit at this... almost as if he'd planned his entrance speech, but didn't have any funny contingency anecdotes planned for this sort of eventuality... "er... Right en."

On the way back he swigs his beer with occasional furtive glances at Alloy.

Finally he plucks up his courage: "Listen mate, I really feel I owe you an hapology... I made a choice for boaf of us out 'ere... an' I 'ad no right to do 'at. I am really sorry."

Guy looks slightly less contrite then... and grins ::biggrin "I gotta fank you too! Not many people get to survive 'eir own courage in the face of certain deaf, eh?" ::tongue

*Yes. Fanks mate... Now I know 'oo I am... an' it's not really 'oo I fought it was. It's better... Stupider too... ::sad *

'Disguises sound like a good idea. We still need t' locate Hannibal's place, & just flying around will likely get us noticed before we do that. I guess a burka for me & some desert robes for you would do - you'd better get some sunglasses as well. I don't supposed you actually speak any of th' local lingo, right? I know I don't. But I imagine we can find someone t' quietly "question" when we get t' th' city.'

Shrugging again the Australian Elite adds,

'Unless we want t' wait for nightfall, I reckon we should head, sneaky-like, t th' nearest village & see about new outfits & maybe a vehicle.'

Thunderbolt allows himself a brief chuckle, "Uh, no. Unfortunately I only speak English, and sometimes not even that very well. I agree we should get some sort of disguise, and see about finding a vehicle. I guess let's start making our way to the nearest village and see if we can slip in and out relatively quietly. You never know, we may get lucky. I mean our luck's got change sometime, right?" He shrugs and starts making his way towards the village.

After walking for a few minutes, Thunderbolt turns to Shockwave, "You know, you're a hell of a friend to come do this for Jolt; she's very lucky to have you."

"Are you going to sleep or something? We have to be there in half an hour. Thats not much of a rest."

Verse doesn't reply as he walks to the center of the room and sits down on the mat there, the only thing in the room besides the elite. Closing his eyes, he concentrates on his node and tries to draw energy into himself through it.

[Attempting rapid recovery]

"Listen mate, I really feel I owe you an hapology... I made a choice for boaf of us out 'ere... an' I 'ad no right to do 'at. I am really sorry."

Joe looks startled, and opens his mouth to respond...

Guy looks slightly less contrite then... and grins  "I gotta fank you too! Not many people get to survive 'eir own courage in the face of certain deaf, eh?"

and snaps it closed. Thinking furiously, he tries to form an adequate response.

"Uh...you're welcome, I guess. I apologize too. So, uh...should we just say we're even then? Maybe avoid any more awkward conversations that way."

"Uh...you're welcome, I guess. I apologize too. So, uh...should we just say we're even then? Maybe avoid any more awkward conversations that way."

::biggrin "Wicked!"

"Right, I better go see the old geezer, eh? Look in on Shockwave an' Bolt for me, yeh? "

Verse doesn't reply as he walks to the center of the room and sits down on the mat there, the only thing in the room besides the elite. Closing his eyes, he concentrates on his node and tries to draw energy into himself through it.

Andy shrugs. They were going to the USA, if they did (by some strech of bad luck) lose somehow, he could still get back with no problems. He flips the op net on and channel surfs till he finds something good, checking his watch every so often.

After about 25 minutes, he knocks on Verse's door if Verse had not left yet.

DeVries NYC:

Entering the small armoury maintained at the New York office Jaguar finds helpful staff willing to sell him any sort of weapon they have in stock, as well as to return his own guns left there for security reasons.

In the 'cannon' range of shotguns they recommend either:

- a Daewoo USAS-12 fully automatic with a 28-round box magazine. Looking much like a large assault rifle it only takes the slightly shorter than usual 2¾" 12-gauge shells - but can throw a lot more of them at the other guy than your average shotgun. They stock shot, slugs, penetrators (basically AP slugs), CS (tear gas), CS penetrators, dragon (flame gout) & riot shells - but don't recommend trying to fire dragon shells in bursts...

or

- a Masters International Armaments Mag-7 portable railgun. This hi-tech weapon can fire slugs or shot at hypersonic speeds, packs an impressive punch, & has a high rate of fire. It takes 20 shots in a magazine, but needs a powerpack recharge after two magazines worth of fire, & a complete overhaul after firing eight magazines worth. It costs more than the USAS-12, but is well within Jaguar's budget.

Neither gun is, technically, legal to stroll around the US with - not even Texas!

The FSS:

"You know, you're a hell of a friend to come do this for Jolt; she's very lucky to have you."

Keeping up a steady quick jogging pace next to Thunderbolt as they head towards the nearest village, Shockwave grins,

'She hasn't 'had' me yet, mate - why'd ya' think I want t' rescue her?' ::wink

Then she shakes her head,

'Nah - she's not interested in that anyway. She's... she's just had a bad time of it & I don't want t' see her get hurt any more.'

Soon enough the pair find themselves sneaking past a small herd of goats penned in with an irregular wooden fence & up to a hut on the outside of the village. Small nude dark-skinned children run about playing games, while older children, women, & the elderly busy themselves with various domestic chores, & chickens scrabble in the dirt. Pausing to listen at the rear wall of the hut, Shockwave nods silently to Thunderbolt, then gently pushes her fist through the wall, tearing away enough of a hole to climb through. Inside she starts to rummage around for clothes, trying not to break the various pieces of pottery stored here & there...

Verse's place:

Relaxing in his room, Verse begins to draw the energies of the universe in through his Node. He feels himself rise off the floor slightly, & the air in the room drop in temperature, as he draws in the ambient gravitational & thermal forces & converts them into power he can use...

... Within the half hour, Verse's internal power levels are once again at their peak.

General Questions:

Reaching the General's office, Guy is quickly shown in. Sitting behind his neat & efficient desk General Carrington, dressed - as he usually does at work - in his old British Army uniform, brings to life various memories Guy harbours from his own time in that fine establishment. Of course Carrington, as the ex-head of the SAS, is pretty much the toughest & most professional soldier in the world - a legend in the ranks of the British Army (& any other military organisation with any brains at all...), not to mention among the ranks of the DVNTS Elites. In his fifties, with a beaky nose & pale blue eyes, the man looks on the surface deceptively soft - but Guy has heard too many stories about the SAS boys to let that fool him. Even now he half suspects that the baseline Carrington could kill him in numerous creative ways without a second thought... But that's just crazy... right? ::unsure ::sly

Standing next to the General is the lab-coated Doctor Alinsky - DeVries' resident Nova genius. Her rather plain round face & short hair hardly mark her Novahood, but the sparkle of dynamic wits behind her eyes hints at the true capabilities of her powerful brain.

Looking up at Guy, the General says,

'At ease soldier. Decay reported your situation several days ago. We'd like to hear how you made it back. Doctor Alinsky here has been looking into the technical aspects of your disappearance. So - what do you have to report?'

Relaxing in his room, Verse begins to draw the energies of the universe in through his Node. He feels himself rise off the floor slightly, & the air in the room drop in temperature, as he draws in the ambient gravitational & thermal forces & converts them into power he can use...

... Within the half hour, Verse's internal power levels are once again at their peak.

Finding himself once again firmly on the ground, and feeling refreshed and recharged, Verse opens his eyes. What he sees startles him for a moment. The entire room is covered with a sheen of frost. Realizing what happened, he chuckles, thinking to himself,

*So that's what my high school physics teacher meant by conservation of energy* This thought stops the jet black elite in his tracks as he's getting up and walking to the door. He hadn't thought back to that time, his privileged upbringing, the private schools and tutors, since the night he'd met Max and his life changed forever.

Shaking his head ruefully, and showering black sparks on the frosty floor, Verse opens the door, letting a blast of cold air into the living room of his bungalow. Closing and locking the door behind him, Verse looks over at Andy, "Alright, I'm all charged up and ready to go. Since you're already on the OpNet, do me a favor and let the New York DeVries office know we're about to warp in and pick up Jaguar. I take it you're all set to go?"

Shaking his head ruefully, and showering black sparks on the frosty floor, Verse opens the door, letting a blast of cold air into the living room of his bungalow.

Andy feels the chill enter the warmer the room.

"Dang man...I guess you must like the AC on high."

Closing and locking the door behind him, Verse looks over at Andy, "Alright, I'm all charged up and ready to go. Since you're already on the OpNet, do me a favor and let the New York DeVries office know we're about to warp in and pick up Jaguar. I take it you're all set to go?"

"Right after I get this message sent..." he says as he quickly types and sends the message. He smiles to himself, then slips on a much darker version of his own 'Lodestone' mask, and his smile turns into a grin.

"Yea. Lets go I need to kick some 'A' tonight. "

"Wicked!"

"Right, I better go see the old geezer, eh? Look in on Shockwave an' Bolt for me, yeh?

Joe manages a small smile. "Sure. See ya later."

Watching for a moment as Samurai contines on his way, Joe finally shakes his head at the absurdity of everything that happened in the last few hours, and heads off to Verse's bungalow, trying to find Shockwave and Thunderbolt.

Archived