Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Quantum Zero - Elites

ProfPotts

\"The base is located in a remote region of the Kangwon-Do province of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea - that is to say, North Korea. Like 80% of the country, the area is rugged (& basically uninhabitable) mountains & dense forests. There are some forestry & mining concerns in the area, but the base is mosty of strategic value due to it's location near the DMZ; it is often the centre for various military exercises & tests.\"

\"How old are these photos? Do we know if there are any excercised scheduled soon? And what kinds of tests?\"

Base compliment is one battalion (six to seven hundred men), although exact numbers depend on what exercises are going on at the time. They have around ten tanks, although the terrain doesn't favour their use, anti-aircraft guns & missles, motorcycles, jeeps, trucks - the usual compliment of military vehicles. They also have at least ten helicopter gunships, & five transport 'choppers. Infantry troops are issued the usual selection of assault rifles, grenade launchers, machine-guns & the like.\"

Thinking: *Six or seven 'undred clueless soldiers with very little in the way of career options on your conscience, matey. On your first job too. Top bloody bombing mate.... (sigh) Why can't we go after the politicians... *

\"However - the test results from your instructors indicate that The Samurai should be able to survive any fall without the need for a parachute (which makes sense, considering how high we've all seen him jump!),

*I can? ::blink Hope they're bleeding right.*

\"Right. No parachutes needed then. All this and on a budget too...\"

\"Approaching via aircraft would have to be a high-altitude venture - flying low over North Korean airspace is never a good idea. DeVries could supply a stealth-capable aircraft for the job, but the costs would need to be taken out of your commissions.\"

\"I fink 'igh altitude is fine then.\"

\"Explosive & other weapons are also available - although, as far as you've informed us, only The Samurai has the training to handle explosives - & we're not about to let un-trained personnel play around with things like that!\"

\"Right. I fink we're sorted then. I'm going to need to work some C4 into some shaped charges and some remote detonators. We have to take out Comms immediately - we don't want some wankers calling for 'elp. So comms is definitely first target for a crater. You lot run around doing damage and making noise and I'll run around planting bombs and exploding them when I'm 2 down the list targets away. As long as the focus of the soldiers is on you lot I'll be ok. I think we should work in the following order. First - Comms should be taken out by either landing on it - or if we miss then I'll plant the first charge and detonate it immediately - so if none of you hit the comms tower - get the 'ell away from it. Then I'll go around laying charges on the Power Supply followed by Missiles and Tank Armaments, Gunship Armaments and the Fuel Supplies. Once the power is down we'll 'ave the advantage of being the only ones wif night vision.\"

\"You're all taking night vision goggles right? Military issue ones are pretty tough an' should survive a the fall as long as you don't land on em.\"

\"Ok - so I do the bombs. Vinnie can snipe their officers and anyone else who looks dangerous - especially fings like returning patrol choppers. Andy can do the barracks... sorry mate. I guess Alex should go for the armour and Joe should go straight for their sitting birds after 'e and Alex try for the comms 'it. Take some incendury grenades though - chucking one of those in a chopper or a tank will save you the time of peeling it open.\"

Right... I'm ready then - I just need some C4 an' those detonators. When do we leave?\"

- \"Well... I'm not talking about me rigging something with C4. That just wouldn't work. what I'm thinking about is a prerigged bomb with a activation button and a 5-second delay. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to handle that. As long as Guy can get it ready, I can place it.\"

"Sure, I can rig something up. But placing is 'alf the battle. You might be better off wif your rifle and a bunch of grenades."

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Grenades? He wants to give me grenades...ha ha.*

Out loud, Joe says. "Hmmm. Well, if all the birdies are lined up nice an' pretty, I was just gonna run through 'em. That'd probably be faster than stopping and chucking grenades into 'em. Still, some frags would do good if I had to deal with any soldiers. Hey, Big D. You willing to take the comms? Or should we both hit it together just to make sure?"

\"Sure, I can rig something up.  But placing is 'alf the battle.  You might be better off wif your rifle and a bunch of grenades.\"

- "The point is that I have to go in on my own anyway, so I might as well set the first attack. Unless Lodestone can carry me, that is. I won't survive a free fall, and a parachute is too visible, so I have to get in on the ground. I could port directly from a staging area or something, but unless anyone has a bright idea, I have to go in from some other direction than above. Then I might as well bring along 50 pounds of plastics, don't you think?"

"If not, I'll just clean out the watchtowers first and get a good sniping position." He looks at Ms Cable again "You sure you have no info on where the head honcho sleeps? Oh, and can we get a 3D projection of the base? I'd like to get a feel for the place before I start jumping around in there..."

- \"The point is that I have to go in on my own anyway, so I might as well set the first attack. Unless Lodestone can carry me, that is. I won't survive a free fall, and a parachute is too visible, so I have to get in on the ground. I could port directly from a staging area or something, but unless anyone has a bright idea, I have to go in from some other direction than above. Then I might as well bring along 50 pounds of plastics, don't you think?\"

\"Whatever you like mate. But we don't mess about with the big bangers.\"

\"If not, I'll just clean out the watchtowers first and get a good sniping position.\"

"Good idea... I'll see about those explosives then."

Guy gets up and looks at Ms. Cable expectantly.

\"How old are these photos? Do we know if there are any excercised scheduled soon? And what kinds of tests?\"

\"About a month old I believe,\" replies Miss Cable, \"& no, we don't know if any exercises are scheduled. As for tests - I'm not sure, what kind of 'tests' do you military types do anyway?\"

\"You sure you have no info on where the head honcho sleeps? Oh, and can we get a 3D projection of the base? I'd like to get a feel for the place before I start jumping around in there...\"

Miss Cable looks a bit flustered, checks her palmtop notes, then replies,

\"Erm... I think these are meant to be the officer's quarters - across the central courtyard from the barracks. I'm unsure if the commanding officer would be there or not though. Do you have any idea of what sort of time you'd want to go in? Obviously daylight would be better from a media point of view - our client said he should be able to arrange for a sympathetic Northern news-crew to be in the area 'filming a documentary about military life' when you show up - they can get any unedited footage to the South &, naturally, we'll get copies of everything for N!\"

\"I'll see if the computer-lab boys can sort out a 3-D map of the base for you.\"

\"Good idea... I'll see about those explosives then.\"

Guy gets up and looks at Ms. Cable expectantly.

"Right.", says Miss Cable, "If there aren't any more questions I'll arrange for the equipment you want, a stealth-transport, & a pilot."

"Oh," she adds, "& gentlemen - I'd expect to recieve some vistors tonight. The Elites do a kind of 'formal masking cermony' before a new recruit goes on his first mission. You're not really supposed to be warned about it, but I thought I better tell you. We don't want any... 'nasty surprises' before your big job now, do we?" ::sly

((sorry about not getting in on this conversation sooner but I was on vacation...away for the weekend)

"Ghost...can you port me and a non-metal Alloy to the top of the Armory? If we get there before DMD finishes his decent...Alloy can tear half of the building apart, and I can use the ammo in there in my hurricane-o-death . We can make our way into the officers quarters...take them all out and then pick out everyone else. None of their guns will be able to touch me while I'm making the hurricane...*but* everything else will. Thats the big reason I wanted some backup on that. If someone...nova sized strips all the metal off of him/herself...I cant do much but hope my hurricane can take care of him. Now dont get me wrong...My hurricane is damned good...but still...better safe then sorry."

\"About a month old I believe,\" replies Miss Cable

*Great*

::unsure

As for tests - I'm not sure, what kind of 'tests' do you military types do anyway?\"

\"The military generally only tests weapons. But weapons tend to include anything that does damage. Like Novas for example...\"

Do you have any idea of what sort of time you'd want to go in? Obviously daylight would be better from a media point of view - our client said he should be able to arrange for a sympathetic Northern news-crew to be in the area 'filming a documentary about military life' when you show up - they can get any unedited footage to the South &, naturally, we'll get copies of everything for N!\"

*Bloody brilliant*

\"Ms Cable. I fink this mission would be orders of magnitude more dangerous if we go in during the day. So if 'would be better' means exactly that I fink they'll have to just settle for 'not better'. If 'would be better' means we 'ave to go during the day... then I guess we 'ave to go during the day. Which is it?\"

Andy:

If we get there before DMD finishes his decent...Alloy can tear half of the building apart, and I can use the ammo in there in my hurricane-o-death â„¢. We can make our way into the officers quarters...take them all out and then pick out everyone else. None of their guns will be able to touch me while I'm making the hurricane...*but* everything else will. Thats the big reason I wanted some backup on that. If someone...nova sized strips all the metal off of him/herself...I cant do much but hope my hurricane can take care of him. Now dont get me wrong...My hurricane is damned good...but still...better safe then sorry.\"

\"Unless you can control explosions too I suggest you use somefing other than ammo from ANY of armouries mate. You might be safe from frag grenades but there are other kinds too. And if anyone does get clever enough to deferrous themselves and then go after you it will have to be a big Nova to withstand your storm. You 'it pretty bleedin' 'ard. I can attest to that. So - if its a Nova then you'd better call Ghost for 'elp... 'e can 'port in and get you out faster than the rest of us - and Alloy's going to need to take those Chopper's out pretty quickly... Why don't you start the storm with your shuriken and add all the bullets they fire at you?

\"Right.\", says Miss Cable, \"If there aren't any more questions I'll arrange for the equipment you want, a stealth-transport, & a pilot.\"

\"You mean the 'igh altitude one that wasn't gonna cost extra? Right?\"

\"Oh,\" she adds, \"& gentlemen - I'd expect to recieve some vistors tonight. The Elites do a kind of 'formal masking cermony' before a new recruit goes on his first mission. You're not really supposed to be warned about it, but I thought I better tell you. We don't want any... 'nasty surprises' before your big job now, do we?\" 

::crazy

"An initiation? Bleedin' 'ell... I really don't want to 'ave to put on a floral dress an' dance like a 'eadless chicken...

Not again..."

"OK. So I land on the communications building. Then I head for the tanks and throw them into other buildings. If there are any fuel storages areas or the like on the way I'll blow them up."

"Let's see. I'll need a compass or two for directions after I land. Some high end road flares or something similar to set fires. Night vision visors if we do this at night. Communicators. We need to plan a couple of pre-planned meet up points too in case we lose comunications. Say, how are we getting out of here?"

"Cool. Sounds good. I'll take out the choppers and any targets of opportunity. Once I'm done, I'll head over to the officer's quarters and give Lodestone some backup. Why don't we all meet at the officer's quarters, then head to the LZ to get out of there. I'm with Alex on this one, how are we gettin' out? I can run pretty fast, but I don't like having monkey around in North Korea without a map."

\"Ghost...can you port me and a non-metal Alloy to the top of the Armory?\"

- \"Yes, I can. If it's important enough. I don't think I can do it in one jump, though (OOC:how heavy are you guys?), and the less porting I have to do the better. You don't want me to be too tired to save your ass when that big nova turns up, do you?\"

*Bloody brilliant*

\"Ms Cable. I fink this mission would be orders of magnitude more dangerous if we go in during the day. So if 'would be better' means exactly that I fink they'll have to just settle for 'not better'. If 'would be better' means we 'ave to go during the day... then I guess we 'ave to go during the day. Which is it?\"

Vinnie just shakes his head. \"No way are we doing this in the day. We need the cover of darkness, and that's final. Sorry, Ms Cable, but that's the way it's gotta be, PR stunt or not. I'm not gonna do this like a goddamn amateur just to get on TV.\" Hoping that outburst derailed any further discussion on the subject, he turns to Joe and Alex.

\"As for getting out, we need a couple of prearranged chopper landing zones, so we can make a run for it if things go to hell. If we do the job all right, we can just wait for pickup there. Shouldn't take long, anyway. Or, we could leave one bird intact if any of us know how to fly one. Just remove the keys, so to speak.\"

\"Right.\", says Miss Cable, \"If there aren't any more questions I'll arrange for the equipment you want, a stealth-transport, & a pilot.\"

- "I'll drop by your office and give you a list later, ok?"

\"As for getting out, we need a couple of prearranged chopper landing zones, so we can make a run for it if things go to hell. If we do the job all right, we can just wait for pickup there. Shouldn't take long, anyway. Or, we could leave one bird intact if any of us know how to fly one. Just remove the keys, so to speak.\"

"Sorry, but I don't know 'ow to fly. We do need some alternative LZs each one a little further from the base. How long do you reckon the extract should be after we touch down? Fifteen minutes or so?"

Sorry, but I don't know 'ow to fly. We do need some alternative LZs each one a little further from the base. How long do you reckon the extract should be after we touch down? Fifteen minutes or so?\"

" Ouch...200 people in 15 minutes? It can be done but it will be tight."

" 20 is much more doable. We need the pickup to be about...half a mile? From the base. That way no one can fire on it from the base if we some how miss someone. I do think we should take out the armory first thing though. It would lower the amount of bullets coming at us. How about I just start the storm up right outside the building? I have an ok range on it...so I may be able to blow up the explosives from impact with themselves."

\" Ouch...200 people in 15 minutes?  It can be done but it will be tight.\"

Vinnie gets a very serious expression in his eyes as he turns to Andy. \"Not 200. We're talking about between six and seven hundred soldiers in total, Andy. And you're gonna be killing most of them. Get your numbers right. So... how much time do you need to slaughter 6-700 men? I would have thought 20 minutes was a lot more than we needed, but I guess you know best how the hurricane of death works. 20 minutes is a long time in a country with airbases all over, and as far as I know we can't block a microwave radio or even a cellphone call, so the faster the better...\"

\"...I do think we should take out the armory first thing though. It would lower the amount of bullets coming at us. How about I just start the storm up right outside the building? I have an ok range on it...so I may be able to blow up the explosives from impact with themselves...\"

- "No. You should concentrate on the soft targets. Go into the barracks or wherever people are and hit them before they know what's happening. Don't give them any time to react. As for bullets, I thought you said they couldn't hurt you? I'm not gonna be there... And Joe and Alex are pretty much bulletproof, so all you have to worry about is making those kills as fast and messy as possible."

Vinnie gets a very serious expression in his eyes as he turns to Andy. \"Not 200. We're talking about between six and seven hundred soldiers in total, Andy. And you're gonna be killing most of them. Get your numbers right. So... how much time do you need to slaughter 6-700 men? I would have thought 20 minutes was a lot more than we needed, but I guess you know best how the hurricane of death works. 20 minutes is a long time in a country with airbases all over, and as far as I know we can't block a microwave radio or even a cellphone call, so the faster the better...\"

\"Well...If I can line them up well enough im sure I can go through them quickly enough. My hurricane is basically a 40 meter wide swirling mass of magnetism. Bullets shot into it will get cought...and metal less then...i think my max on that was 40 kg...will be picked up and swing around. Whatever is in the way is going to take some nice damage...especially with the stars in there among other things. Depending on the device...my hurricane might be able to disrupt different communication if magnets can screw the device up. I just have to be close to them.\"

\"No. You should concentrate on the soft targets. Go into the barracks or wherever people are and hit them before they know what's happening. Don't give them any time to react. As for bullets, I thought you said they couldn't hurt you? I'm not gonna be there... And Joe and Alex are pretty much bulletproof, so all you have to worry about is making those kills as fast and messy as possible.\"

"Like I said before...with my hurricane...they cant hurt me...but other things can. Hell...if its not knocked off course by object being tossed around...a stick of wood and a good aim can get me with no problems. that is a good idea with the barracks though...Think we could teleport onto its roof and start up there with my hurricane? It would be good to just take care of all the off duty guys in a few minutes im sure."

((Damn guys...I just converted 40 meters into feet...and I think that my storm might be enough to cover about a quarter of the base...thats 131 feet of flying swirling metal there...ouch))

\" Ouch...200 people in 15 minutes? It can be done but it will be tight.\"

Guy winces. ::angry

Vinnie gets a very serious expression in his eyes as he turns to Andy. \"Not 200. We're talking about between six and seven hundred soldiers in total, Andy. And you're gonna be killing most of them.

Guy winces some more.

I would have thought 20 minutes was a lot more than we needed, but I guess you know best how the hurricane of death works. 20 minutes is a long time in a country with airbases all over, and as far as I know we can't block a microwave radio or even a cellphone call, so the faster the better...\"

\"Lets call it 20 minutes for the first LZ then. Twenty-five at the second. Firty at the fird. Make the first LZ one mile from the base and each of the next two another quarter mile or so further - clearings permitting. The terrain means it might take us a few minutes to cover that much ground - though probably not that much... we can just run in Joe's wake.\"

[OOC]

((Damn guys...I just converted 40 meters into feet...and I think that my storm might be enough to cover about a quarter of the base...thats 131 feet of flying swirling metal there...ouch))

You might want to limit it to 15-20 meters around you then - or Ghost and Guy could be shredded :P.

[/OOC]

\"You mean the 'igh altitude one that wasn't gonna cost extra? Right?\"

Miss Cable smiles ::smile , then asks,

\"So, do you guys want the stealth-plane or not? Your choice, of course; if you have a better way of getting there then by all means take it. I have a vested interest in your success as well, you know, so if you need the plane I'll arrange it for you - but that sort of thing is never cheap.\"

Vinnie just shakes his head. \"No way are we doing this in the day. We need the cover of darkness, and that's final. Sorry, Ms Cable, but that's the way it's gotta be, PR stunt or not. I'm not gonna do this like a goddamn amateur just to get on TV.

Miss Cable's professional demeanor slips a bit as she becomes obviously upset by Vinnie's harsh interpretation of her words, but the business 'mask' is soon back in place,

\"Fine.\"

\"Like I said before...with my hurricane...they cant hurt me...but other things can. Hell...if its not knocked off course by object being tossed around...a stick of wood and a good aim can get me with no problems. that is a good idea with the barracks though...Think we could teleport onto its roof and start up there with my hurricane? It would be good to just take care of all the off duty guys in a few minutes im sure.\"

Checking her palmtop notes the businesswoman comments,

"Technically - at least according to the tests run so far - a high-velocity bullet could penetrate your magnetic fields & impact you before you slowed or caught it - it's just unlikely. I don't want to dent your confidence here, but it's a possibility that's worth considering. The last thing we need is our resident 'master of magnetism' getting killed by a metal bullet - it'd look very unprofessional." ::sly

\"So, do you guys want the stealth-plane or not? Your choice, of course; if you have a better way of getting there then by all means take it. I have a vested interest in your success as well, you know, so if you need the plane I'll arrange it for you - but that sort of thing is never cheap.\"

\"No. We can jump out of a C130 at altitude.

\"Technically - at least according to the tests run so far - a high-velocity bullet could penetrate your magnetic fields & impact you before you slowed or caught it - it's just unlikely. I don't want to dent your confidence here, but it's a possibility that's worth considering. The last thing we need is our resident 'master of magnetism' getting killed by a metal bullet - it'd look very unprofessional.\"

"Put a vest on under your suit mate. Maybe some spare trousers too... ::tongue

\"Put a vest on under your suit mate. Maybe some spare trousers too... \"

Joe chuckles. "Heh. Nice one. Anyways, I'm ready when you guys are."

Hearing Ms. Cable's mention of the other Elites, his face goes blank.

"Masking ceremony? Great. Can't wait. Should be a barrel of monkeys."

\"Technically - at least according to the tests run so far - a high-velocity bullet could penetrate your magnetic fields & impact you before you slowed or caught it - it's just unlikely. I don't want to dent your confidence here, but it's a possibility that's worth considering. The last thing we need is our resident 'master of magnetism' getting killed by a metal bullet - it'd look very unprofessional.\" ::sly

- "Well, let's test it. Give me a high powered rifle and we'll see if you can stop the bullet." He looks over at Andy, "Trust me, I won't hit you." ::cool

\"Technically - at least according to the tests run so far - a high-velocity bullet could penetrate your magnetic fields & impact you before you slowed or caught it - it's just unlikely. I don't want to dent your confidence here, but it's a possibility that's worth considering. The last thing we need is our resident 'master of magnetism' getting killed by a metal bullet - it'd look very unprofessional.\"

" Thye still have to see me. A base that size is likley to have a *lot* of metal that I can grab.

Hmmm....lets rethink this a little. If I can land in the exact center of base...I can just pick up everything...With my 40 meter range...they are going to have a sharp shooter with a really high power rifle to get at me...for pure range of course...not for power to penetrate the storm ." Andy nods to conscede that point to Ms. Cable.

" If I can get Guy to keep a lookout for me...jump from roof to roof keeping snipers and such off me...I can take most people out from just that. Everyone else can take strategic places in the base. Officers quarters I think Vinnie should take...just for a pure...Cold Precision that will be appreciated by our employer. I think that Alloy and DMD can take out everything thats outside my range." andy rubs his chin for a second looking deep in thought.

"Just how much of an area do we have to cover? I might have to walk a small square to cover enough ground...and with that case...we would need a radio ear mike capapable of getting through my magnetic fields...Could you arrange thoes for us, Ms. Cable?"

--EDIT--:changed a name

(To Andy) "Actually you could probably just hide on top of a roof top and control the storm from there couldn't you? Perhaps... could you make an "eye" in the center were Vinnie could come and get you?"

((How large is this base? I mean in meters x meters.))

- \"Well, let's test it. Give me a high powered rifle and we'll see if you can stop the bullet.\" He looks over at Andy, \"Trust me, I won't hit you.\" 

\"Ummm...If you really really wanna try. I dont wanna tire myself out before the mission though.\"

(To Andy) \"Actually you could probably just hide on top of a roof top and control the storm from there couldn't you? Perhaps... could you make an \"eye\" in the center were Vinnie could come and get you?\"

" That is one of my weaknesses, Im sorry to say...I have to center it on me. I cant point at a guy and start it up around him...I wish I could...but I just cant manage that one. If you noticed...even when I did it at superimpose...it was directly above me."

\"Ummm...If you really really wanna try. I dont wanna tire myself out before the mission though.\"

- "Well, I'd feel safer if i knew how safe you're gonna be out there. And it's not gonna tire you. It's not like we're leaving right after lunch, anyway. Andy... this plan depends on you, so I don't want to see you get shot. And you're gonna have to trust my aim later anyway, to take out those snipers you mentioned."

"Look. You're not gonna be completely safe no matter how you do it. Somewhere on that base there is a guy with ceramic bullets, or just a lucky sniper. You have to move fast. I'm sorry, but standing in the center of the base is not gonna help. It's a lot bigger than 40 meters radius..."

- "Well, I'd feel safer if i knew how safe you're gonna be out there. And it's not gonna tire you. It's not like we're leaving right after lunch, anyway. Andy... this plan depends on you, so I don't want to see you get shot. And you're gonna have to trust my aim later anyway, to take out those snipers you mentioned."

"Look. You're not gonna be completely safe no matter how you do it. Somewhere on that base there is a guy with ceramic bullets, or just a lucky sniper. You have to move fast. I'm sorry, but standing in the center of the base is not gonna help. It's a lot bigger than 40 meters radius..."

"whatever makes you feel better. Im up for it. And body armor is a good idea...My costume dosent off much but I can wear some underneath it."

\" If I can get Guy to keep a lookout for me...jump from roof to roof keeping snipers and such off me...I can take most people out from just that. Everyone else can take strategic places in the base. Officers quarters I think Vinnie should take...just for a pure...Cold Precision that will be appreciated by our employer. I think that Alloy and DMD can take out everything thats outside my range.\" andy rubs his chin for a second looking deep in thought.

"I'm going to be running about planting bombs mate... Ghost should be clearing the field, but shout and I'll be right there."

Guy heads off and starts preparing the shaped charges - making sure that the detonators are separately wrapped in shock absorbant casings and that they use sufficiently encrypted detonation codes - just in case any novas want to play silly buggers. The charges will be designed to A) breach concrete walls and B) ignite / detonate munutions and fuel. He'll play it safe and check everything at least four times. He'll put together 10 charges in all (OOC. probably 1kg bricks but Guy's the expert not me ;P). Half for him and half for Ghost. He'll pack 2 radio detonator caps for each charge and 6 timed detonating caps. He'll then pack 4 frequency switching radio detonators - again half for him and half for Ghost.

Guy's personal loadout for this mission will be: The Night/Jungle dark green and black camouflage Samurai suit with the slightly lighter Emerald Dragon seeming hidden amoungst the camouflage of the back. Light intensifying goggles with flash compensation and a multi-frequency radio transmitter is built into the hood. He will carry his daisho, his pistol with the AP ammo (a Browning High Power (buy British y'see :P), a pair of ceramic knives in calf sheaths. His 'utility belt' with amongst other things a small gas powered grapnel gun and a taser attached to it along with a couple of flash-bang grenades. The explosives he'll carry in a smallish backpack along with an MRE in case he gets peckish and some field dressings in case someone gets shot.

Joe stands up after Guy leaves. "I'm gonna head out too. Got my own preparations to make." Walking out of the room, Joe steps out the door and jogs after Guy, catching up and walking alongside him. "If you don't mind, I'll hang out with you till the mission starts. Don't worry, I'll keep my yap shut while you're playing with the bangs. I wanted to talk to you, away from the other guys."

Andy watches guy leave. Then he looks at the map.  \"Hmmm...How about a snaking pattern?\"  He traces a S shape with an extra line making for 3 walks up and down the base.

\"I wont overlap too much and give enough lee way to get everyone...\"

Vinnie smiles and says "Just remember that they won't be standing still... ::wink "

His tone gets a lot more serious as he gets up and stretches his legs. Looking Andy in the eye he says "Now, I don't think anyone of us has ever done anything that compares with this mission, but if you don't mind me asking: Are you sure you're up for this? Have you ever killed anyone before?"

Looking Andy in the eye he says "Now, I don't think anyone of us has ever done anything that compares with this mission, but if you don't mind me asking: Are you sure you're up for this? Have you ever killed anyone before?"

(Alex will answer that) "Yeah, but not on purpose. I mistook a mitoid for a nova and didn't pull my punch. I think it helps to remember what the stakes are. Here we are acting for the murdered foke of South K, and trying to prevent the less palatable options. As bad as this is, it is better than a war, and it is better than not doing anything. This is not a good option, it is just the least bad.

(Alex will answer that) "Yeah, but not on purpose. I mistook a mitoid for a nova and didn't pull my punch. I think it helps to remember what the stakes are. Here we are acting for the murdered foke of South K, and trying to prevent the less palatable options. As bad as this is, it is better than a war, and it is better than not doing anything. This is not a good option, it is just the least bad.

Andy shrugs and looks down t his shoes. He shakes his head. " Nope... Never killed anyone before. the way I see it is that Im just expediating the process here. All these guys are going to get killed anyway...I mean hell...the 38th pararellel is the most militarised zone in the world. Im just trying to do the best i can to make it quick. Thats my justification at least. I just want to get it over with right now."

He stands up and turns the map so that the entrance to the base is facing him. " Im just trying not to think of this on an individual level. This is international politics. Its the job we all chose. but back to business..."

Andy traces an even snakier pattern that skirts the officer building and other areas the team are going to be in. " Now that I think about it...this should be the best route...that way I dont catch anyone. You think they may like a prisoner?"

(Oh thank God. Been having real trouble getting onto this site - and it's still pretty slow).

Vinnie:

\"Now, I don't think anyone of us has ever done anything that compares with this mission, but if you don't mind me asking: Are you sure you're up for this? Have you ever killed anyone before?\"

Alex:

As bad as this is, it is better than a war, and it is better than not doing anything. This is not a good option, it is just the least bad

Guy nods sombrely at this. He doesn't answer the question.

Outside:

Joe:

\"If you don't mind, I'll hang out with you till the mission starts. Don't worry, I'll keep my yap shut while you're playing with the bangs. I wanted to talk to you, away from the other guys.\"

"Sure mate. Wot's on your mind?"

Seemingly satisfied with their answers, Vinnie smiles and nods approvingly. He gets his stuff together, bids Ms Cable a good day, and heads for the door.

- "Well, we've got a long day ahead of us. You wanna join me for some... target practice?" ::cool

" Ok...then after that Ill see about getting some body armor to wear under my costume. we better turn in early tonight too."

Andy gives a small wave to Ms. Cable, " you are going to send us off right? I expect to see ya tommorrow bright and early so that we can get everything together. Tell Bruce that if needbe, ill schedule dinner with him...Id rather not have to be so informal...but...im not about to take no for an answer. Im going to make up for that screwup back at superimpose." He turns then follows Vinnie.

\"Sure mate. Wot's on your mind?\"

"You seem to be the only one on our team so far that don't creep me out. I know I asked you to back down at the bar. I just wanted to let you know that I got your back. Plus, I'd be interested in seeing how you put the bombs together. "

\"You seem to be the only one on our team so far that don't creep me out. I know I asked you to back down at the bar. I just wanted to let you know that I got your back. Plus, I'd be interested in seeing how you put the bombs together. \"

::laugh Guy chuckles at this. "Fanks for that. Yeah, stick around. I'll show you 'ow its done then."

Guy proceeds to give Joe a running commentry on the process as he puts the charges together.

(On With the day. Huzzah!)

[Wow - you guys hardly need me, do you? ::wink ]

Guy & Joe head to the armoury. After checking both their identities the para-military type on duty (in an office, behind armoured glass) agrees to let Joe into the explosives storage area only if Guy signs some paperwork taking responsibility for him. All areas of the armoury are monitored at all times, two fully-armoured & armed guards are at the door, & several more pairs of guards patrol inside. Rows & rows of guns, explosives & other assorted weaponry can be seen in metal cabinets, behind mesh doors - ranging from the common-place to high-tech to the truely bizarre. In the explosives store Guy has to check-out the equipment he needs with another para-military type, do the work in the armoury workshop, & leave the results in an armoured locker until he needs to take the devices for the actual mission. DeVries don't mess about with this stuff.

Vinnie & Andy head over to the firing range to test Andy's Magnetic Shield - the guys on-duty there have seen stranger things & don't bat an eye-lid at the request. After a few shots the pair conclude that Vinnie could probably hit Andy if he was really trying to, but it'd be a hard shot. A trained sniper who took the time to aim-up properly could probably manage it as long as Andy wasn't moving too fast or dodging behind cover.

Left in the conference room Miss Cable turns to Alex,

"There may be a problem, Mr Green.", she suggests, "Mr Oshiro dismissed the stealth-plane option as too expensive, but I don't think I'll be able to find anyone ready to risk their lives by flying an un-concealed vehicle over North Korean airspace. That also doesn't cover the requirements for you gentlemen to exit the situation after you're work is complete. So, unless one of you is a pilot & didn't tell me, how exactly are you planning on getting in & out?" ::confused

Archived