Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Quantum Zero

ProfPotts

Club Med:

"Didn't mean to offend you. If you've got a way out of this hellhole, I'm more than amenable."

Psyche turns to face Glacier, her eyes narrowed, her look intense,

"I gave you your two options. Now - which one do you choose?"

DeVries - NYC:

"I completely understand, and agree with DeVries denial of responsibility for any 'hampering'. I don't think that will be a problem, but I appreciate you mentioning it. As for your question... I'm afraid you'll have to wait until the non-disclosure is signed before you get that answer."

Elizabeth smiles & nods - it seems to John that she may have already made up her own mind on his Nova status (or lack of the same...).

"I don't suppose drinks are available? Coffee would be wonderful; always helps smooth me out before I sign a contract... That is, if you'd still be interested in signing me as a client...?"

A brief look of panic enters the DeVries representative's eyes as she realises that her distraction by John's good looks has caused her to neglect her duties as hostess, but it's a look which quickly vanishes. Instead the blonde South African calmly hits the intercom to request coffee for the both of them, then admits to her (potential) client,

"You'll have to forgive me, John - I'm feeling a little jetlagged after the flight from Namibia."

After the coffee arrives, & she's taken a good long sip of her own, Elizabeth leans back in her chair & asks,

"So - what sort of Nova capabilities in particular did you have in mind? How many Elites were you thinking of hiring? Any other preferences or dislikes I should know about?"

Brotherly chat:

"I want to preface this with; I can't tell you alot of details because of confidentiality agreements. But this is something that has to be silently looked at by dedicated people, and I'm going to end up stepping on the wrong feet. During the course of one of my jobs, I briefly had contact with a girl who was forced into a form of slavery by some disgusting people. She's been separated from them, but that life is all she's ever known and I doubt she'll ever be able to blend into society at large... The group that did it to this girl, is known as the Dark Templars. Apparantly they've been around awhile, but are just starting to get into the business of dealing some seriously bad stuff. The reason any checks into them need to be held quiet is because this group ties into another old group which has members with some serious money. And you, brother, know what happens when people go poking their nose in that sort of ordeal."

"I know I'm not a PI and that this isn't my standard faire of work but if you have or can get any information that I might be able to use to keep from stepping on toes, it'd be greatly appriciated. I'd understand if you can't give me anything, but maybe you could tell me whom I shouldn't be listening to so I don't find myself in trouble? I can go other routes to get the same information, or possible lack of information about this group in official channels, but I'm trying to stay above table on this whole thing. It's hard, but I'm trying... What do you say, Andrew, can you help me out here?"

Ian's elder brother looks thoughtful & concerned as he listens carefully to the tale. Leaning back once Ian has finished, Andrew says nothing for some time - although he looks at his brother as if trying to come to a descision. Finally he lets out a deep sigh,

"Okay, kid - I'll see what I can do. Settle up the bill & meet me at the car outside - I've got a couple of calls to make."

With that, Special Agent Jacobs excuses himself & exits the restaurant.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Okay, kid - I'll see what I can do. Settle up the bill & meet me at the car outside - I've got a couple of calls to make."

With that, Special Agent Jacobs excuses himself & exits the restaurant.

As his brother leaves the building, Ian breathes a small sigh of relief. Thinking quietly to himself as he pays the tab (Did he really eat THAT many steaks?!?) and gives his brother the time needed to make his calls...

*The last thing I wanted to do when I became an Elite was use my brother for information, but what the Templars was doing was just wrong. Sure I could just walk in and hack out the information I need from the FBI office, but that means risking exposure to myself and embarassing Andrew. At least this way... maybe I can find the courage to admit to him how badly I screwed up with that lab heist.*

Walking outside, Ian looks over the streets in search of his brother.

Ian quickly spots his brother standing next to his (agency issue) black sedan talking on his (agency issue) mobile phone. Looking up, the older Jacobs boy waves Ian over, whilst snapping the phone shut & slipping on his (agency issue) dark glasses ::cool ,

"Get in, bro' - I may have a place to start looking into this."

As Andrew pulls the car away from the restaurant he fills Ian in a little,

"It appears that we do have an open file or two on these 'Dark Templars' - I'll take a look when I get back to the office. For now I just asked for a run-down on any recent leads - we're heading to the most likely place that's nearby... Presuming that you don't wanna' chicken out or anything?" ::sly

Soon enough the black sedan draws to a halt on a small side-street in Chinatown. Exiting the vehicle Andrew glances up & down the street, then asks Ian quietly,

"Hey, bro' - look, we're just going to ask a few questions, but it's probably best if I know: are you packing heat?" He moves his own jacket briefly aside to display a Glock pistol tucked into a waistband holster. After waiting for an answer, Andrew leads the way down the street until the siblings arrive outside the stairs down to a basement-level shop - the street-level neon sign on the wall advertises 'Tattoos, piercings, scarification, brandings' in both English & Chinese characters.

"Looks like the place." Andrew nods towards the sign, "Prelim' investigations link this guy to some Templar-related ink. It's not what you'd call a really solid lead, but it's a start."

Heading down the stairs Special Agent Jacobs pushes open the door - causing a small attached bell to ring - & passes through the bead curtain behind it. As Ian follows he's immediately assailed by the mingled scent of blood & sweat, & the buzzing sound of a powered tattoo needle from one of the next rooms. The walls of the small waiting room are lined with photos of tattoos, piercings, & all the other services advertised. A couple of chairs have been left out by the wall, & on the low table in front of them are several binders full of even more examples of the owner's chosen form of art.

Sat behind a small counter, reading a magazine on fetish fashions, is a young Asian woman - perhaps in her early twenties - dressed in a brief back vest, black leather mini-skirt, & knee-high black leather boots with metal-shod stilleto heels. Around her neck is a studded leather collar. Her short hair is dyed blue, she sports rather striking blue-purple make-up around her eyes, & her long nails are painted purple. A multitude of tattoos cover what can be seen of her arms, legs, & midrift - all appear to be of traditional Chinese-style designs: dragons, tigers, & the like. She wears a silver ring pierced through the septum of her nose, several rings in each ear, & several bars through her eyebrows. In the glass counter she sits behind are displayed a large variety of piercing-related jewellery. Looking up, but not standing, at the entrance of the Jacobs lads she nods to them & asks, her accent carrying enough hint of Chinese to make her sound exotic,

"What can we do for you gentlemen?"

Surprisingly, perhaps, she doesn't appear in the least put-out by the suits the boys are wearing or their apparant lack of 'fetish' style.

Glancing around the waiting room, Andrew turns to the receptionist,

"We heard that you do traditional style tattoos here - proper old-fashioned needles?" He glances towards the buzzing noise, then back to the young lady, "If we were mistaken..."

"No - we offer that service..." for a moment the Asian woman seems to be assessing the two potential customers, "... but it's very painful - not everyone's cup of tea..."

Andrew grins, then points a thumb over his shoulder to indicate Ian,

"Maybe that's just what the kid's after." ::sly

Slowly the receptionist uncrosses her legs & stands - all the while with her eyes on Ian. For a moment her tongue passes across her lips - revealing several studs down its centre - then she smiles, & shrugs,

"I see... It's not so easy to locate a practitioner of the old crafts in a place like this..." Her eyes flick towards Andrew. Still smiling, the older Jacobs brother fishes out his wallet & flips out his gold AmEx. The receptionist takes the card - looks at it - then returns it & nods. Slipping out from behind the cabinet she circles past the two brothers, her long nails trailing across Ian's chest as she does so, & steps over to the door that leads further into the shop. Opening it, she turns, fixes Ian with a sly look, then beckons him to follow with a rather rolling motion of her fingers... As the woman heads through the door, Andrew whispers to his brother,

"See what you can find out in there - I'll have a look around out here." He seems a trifle amused by the situation he's put his little brother in... ::sly

Looking up, the older Jacobs boy waves Ian over, whilst snapping the phone shut & slipping on his (agency issue) dark glasses  ,

"Get in, bro' - I may have a place to start looking into this."

Ian scratches his chin a moment, not having intended to get his brother involved directly in the investigation. After the half second of thought, Ian gets into the car, knowing his brother won't let it go at just giving the information. "We've got to tread carefully, especially if you're coming along. I'd hate myself if something happened to you, Andrew."

"It appears that we do have an open file or two on these 'Dark Templars' - I'll take a look when I get back to the office. For now I just asked for a run-down on any recent leads - we're heading to the most likely place that's nearby... Presuming that you don't wanna' chicken out or anything?" 

"I didn't figure that the Feds would have gotten far on them. Those files are probably mostly dead ends and false leads. And have you ever known me to chicken out this quick?"

"Hey, bro' - look, we're just going to ask a few questions, but it's probably best if I know: are you packing heat?" He moves his own jacket briefly aside to display a Glock pistol tucked into a waistband holster.

"Nothing as traditional as what you've got there, but I've got something that I can protect myself with. I'm good to cover you if there's trouble," says Ian as he glances around the surrounding area looking for trouble spots and possible items to take control of if they need a quick exit.

Andrew leads the way down the street until the siblings arrive outside the stairs down to a basement-level shop - the street-level neon sign on the wall advertises 'Tattoos, piercings, scarification, brandings' in both English & Chinese characters.

"Looks like the place." Andrew nods towards the sign, "Prelim' investigations link this guy to some Templar-related ink. It's not what you'd call a really solid lead, but it's a start."

Ian thinks to himself, *This could be where all that body modification was done on that girl. Backstreet surgery for the slave girl, not a real doctor.*

As he walks into the business, he takes a deep breath of the grime filled air and starts looking at the artwork for something familiar to him even as he continues along with his brother. As they approach the counter, Ian looks at the exotic woman behind the counter with her unique and almost familiar style.

"What can we do for you gentlemen?"

Surprisingly, perhaps, she doesn't appear in the least put-out by the suits the boys are wearing or their apparant lack of 'fetish' style.

*More and more this seems a solid lead.*

"No - we offer that service..." for a moment the Asian woman seems to be assessing the two potential customers, "... but it's very painful - not everyone's cup of tea..."

Andrew grins, then points a thumb over his shoulder to indicate Ian,

"Maybe that's just what the kid's after."

Ian grins and maintains his composure as best he can given the curve his brother just tossed him.

*I guess I deserve that one... Hope Justice doesn't mind... I have a feeling I'm not getting out of here unmarked.*

Slowly the receptionist uncrosses her legs & stands - all the while with her eyes on Ian. For a moment her tongue passes across her lips - revealing several studs down its centre - then she smiles, & shrugs,

"I see... It's not so easy to locate a practitioner of the old crafts in a place like this..." Her eyes flick towards Andrew. Still smiling, the older Jacobs brother fishes out his wallet & flips out his gold AmEx. The receptionist takes the card - looks at it - then returns it & nods. Slipping out from behind the cabinet she circles past the two brothers, her long nails trailing across Ian's chest as she does so, & steps over to the door that leads further into the shop. Opening it, she turns, fixes Ian with a sly look, then beckons him to follow with a rather rolling motion of her fingers... As the woman heads through the door, Andrew whispers to his brother,

"See what you can find out in there - I'll have a look around out here." He seems a trifle amused by the situation he's put his little brother in...

Feeling suddenly as if he might be nothing more than a large piece of canvas to the girl, only strengthens Ian's resolve to find any link to the Dark Templars this place might have. Ian glances at his brother as he tosses out the Gold AmEx, not sure how wise it might be to run the card in this place. His mind tenses to block the credit transmission if he has to and only relaxing as she gives the card back. Ian's eyes focus on the woman as she heads for the door to the back area, stepping towards the door, he nods to his brother's comment wondering just how much he'll find out in this place.

Following her back, Ian's eyes stay peeled for familiar artwork or other changes. Even taking a brief moment to regard his lovely guide's visible artwork and other "assets" before speaking, "Intresting image you have, how long have you been working on it? That is if you don't mind sharing..."

Psyche turns to face Glacier, her eyes narrowed, her look intense,

"I gave you your two options. Now - which one do you choose?"

Relieved by instincts too profound to voice, Glacier frantically supresses the urge to grin triumphantly and tries to look conquered as he shrugs in acceptance.

"I'm yours, of course. I wouldn't stay in this hellhole for the world."

A brief look of panic enters the DeVries representative's eyes as she realises that her distraction by John's good looks has caused her to neglect her duties as hostess, but it's a look which quickly vanishes. Instead the blonde South African calmly hits the intercom to request coffee for the both of them, then admits to her (potential) client,

"You'll have to forgive me, John - I'm feeling a little jetlagged after the flight from Namibia."

He smiles, and waves away her concern.

After the coffee arrives, & she's taken a good long sip of her own, Elizabeth leans back in her chair & asks,

"So - what sort of Nova capabilities in particular did you have in mind? How many Elites were you thinking of hiring? Any other preferences or dislikes I should know about?"

Taking a tentative sip of his own coffee, John luxuriates in the full flavor of the aromatic brew, then grins at Elizabeth.

"In particular? I hadn't really considered the specifics yet, but since you ask..." He pauses a moment, considering. "Well, let's start with two Elites. One as my protector, and one for the investigation. Both of course would be required a substantial amount of discretion; I don't just refer to non-disclosure items, but also in general terms. Rather embarrassing if my private life ends up as gossip, even among other Elites. I've enough to deal with fighting off tabloids." He rolls his eyes in his own expression of disgust at that media. His grin returns briefly, then he's back to business.

"Let's start with the investigator. He or she would need to be extremely adept at uncovering hidden information, and attracting as little attention as possible while doing so. Sex, age, race, demeanor; none of these really matter to me, as long as the person is excellent at what they do, and committed."

John pauses, then smiles and leans back in his own chair; he seems amused at what comes next. "Now, I'm afraid I have to ask an awkward question of you, but it does make use of your professional judgement, and your opinon as a woman. If you and I were romantically involved," he winks at her playfully, "would you prefer I have a male or female bodyguard?"

Producing a cigarette fom his pocket and lighting it he turns to Terry and smiles.

"But you're right, Terry. This was supposed to be a friendly chat. I know you're a good guy, and I like you. Even if you do get a little cocky from time to time... Which brings me back to the beginning. What the hell are you doing? Why share your bed with someone who wants Masters dead? I hate to get into the old 'sleeping with the enemy'-cliché, but you are! Pathfinder and her pals have tried to kill us, they've kidnapped and tortured an innocent teenager, and all because of some ****ed up belief that we're more worth than 'normal' humans? I don't get it, Terry. I just don't." 

Nathan sits back on a log and looks at Terry in silence.

"First, here's some food for thought. I'm a terrorist for going to Tokyo without asking for a VISA and causing property damage with my almighty powers. The news footage shows it all, broken glass everywhere and distraught restaurant goers, Pathfinder and I warping out from under Nippontai's noses. Do you want to know what really happened? Pathfinder and I were chatting and eating our dinner, the restaurant was as peaceful as any other night. Then Kou walks up and the next thing I know a flaming dome grabbed us from our tables and threw us out through a window and onto the street. She didn't say a word to us! What do you think I did next? I warped us out of there...that's what angered Nippontai. The whole team was there, we were assaulted and detained, and we got away."

Anticipating questions about his date Terry continues

"The only reason we were in Tokyo in the first place was that negotiations for Pathfinder's help to reach the harvesters had reached a deadlock as Mike can attest to. She was obviously interested in me and I offered her a date to speed things up and more or less challenged her to find Derek and the book as fast as she said she could."

Terry looks at Nate

"I know you think I didn't care about Natalia's plight...I did and still do. Believe what you will about Pathfinder, she's no monster and she's the most honest person you'll ever meet. She never hid the fact that Zia's probes would probably be painful, especially without the book. Contrarily to what you all think, she didn't condone outright torture because the girl is a baseline and Masters grandaughter to boot. She honestly believes that Zia could unlock some blocked nova Potential in Natalia, make her erupt. How far would you have gone to gain your powers? Personnally I don't support torture for any reason. I tried to get things resolved as fast as possible. She left Ibiza and five minutes later she had Derek. Now she could have just brought Teragen enforcers to Derek's position and taken the book...but true to her word she came back to me and took the you to Harbinger."

Terry's gaze fixes them all

"I think you know better than I what happened there. You certainly know better than the rest of the world...Harbinger got hit by an earthquake as far as most people are concerned after all..." ::rolleyes

"A lot's happened since then. I've been trying to find a solution to Emma's problems, off the payroll might I add, in Egypt. I've also been trying to find a friend's killers, I actually talked to the Comparelli-Zuchov mob syndicate of New-York to gain information on these killers. Now the mob wants me dead. I'm still debating how to react to that...and I called Derek to know what's happening with all of you, if Natalia and Masters were alright. Kane wasn't telling me anything...and what happened next you all know."

Gettin' Ink:

The door to the back of the tattoo parlour leads to a short corridor - with a door either side & one at the end - that one's marked 'private' with a small brass plaque - again, both in English & Chinese.

The door to the left is open, to reveal a small room & the source of the buzzing - inside is a wiry looking White man, perhaps mid-to-late twenties, with a shaven-bald head & a line of chromed 'implants' down the crest of his skull like a Mohawk hairstyle of metal spikes. Beyond that his face can't be seen, as he's lying on his front on a tilting leather seat sorta' like a dentist uses. A second man - this one a middle-aged Chinese gent sporting long black hair with a long 'bootlace' moustache & small triangle of goatee beard, who is dressed in jeans & a white string vest - is in the process of tattooing a design on the first man's bare back. The image appears to be some variety of naked demonic woman - right off the cover of a heavy metal album or something... After a brief glance up to acknowledge Ian's escort - & take a look at the new customer - the tattooist wipes away the streaming blood on the man's back with a dirty-looking rag & continues his work...

"Intresting image you have, how long have you been working on it? That is if you don't mind sharing..."

The Asian woman glances back at Ian & smiles,

"I'm Master Wong's tapestry - he inscribes as his art inspires him. I was first marked when I was five..."

She knocks on the door to the right of the corridor - opposite the room with the art in progress. After some shuffling from inside, the door is opened by an elderly Chinese man, bent almost double, with thick round glasses perched on the tip of his nose. He's wearing a simple Chinese-style silk robe, & sports only a wisp of white hair in a fringe around his head. Behind him the scent of burning incense escapes the small, candle-lit, room; & Link can make-out various traditional-looking Chinese art designs all over the walls.

The receptionist bows low to the old man, addressing him in Chinese. She stays bowed as she awaits his reply - the old man looks from her to Ian, then seems to be assessing the young man... Finally, he snaps a few, sharp, words of Chinese, & turns back into the room. The tattooed Asian girl straightens, & turns to Ian,

"The Master has agreed to see you..." she indicates that the younger Jacobs brother is to enter the shadowy room...

Grasping at straws:

"I'm yours, of course. I wouldn't stay in this hellhole for the world."

The leather-clad T2Mer turns back towards the door. As it opens she says,

"We'll see."

... then exits the small cell. Suddenly Glacier feels very lost & alone - the brief human contact reminding him of what he's lost these past few... however long it's been - it's hard to keep track of time in the all-white world of the tiny room he occupies...

... It is some time later that John regains consciousness - realising as he does that hours... maybe days... after Psyche left him in the cell he was again drugged into unconsciousness. Coming fully to his senses, Glacier immediately catches her scent - the mingled feminine & leather fragrance clearer & more distinct than it was in the cell. That too he realises - he's no longer in the small room & - freely flexing his powerful anima biceps - he's no longer restrained. It feels as though his full powers have returned to him. Opening his eyes the young Nova looks around to find that he is lying in the centre of the floor of a large room - a room the size of a football field which appears to have walls, ceiling, & floor all constructed of metal. A single - vault-sized - door is located in one wall, & a long window is set high into another - mirrored, naturally, but Glacier is pretty sure there are people behind it... people who are watching...

... The only other figure in the room is that of Psyche - just as John recalls her from their earlier encounter. The T2Mer stands, hands on hips, feet shoulder-width apart, a dozen meters in front of Glacier. As the teenage ice-Nova gains his feet, the beautiful femme before him tosses her long hair & calls out - her voice firm & distinct, rather than loud,

"One chance, John - one opportunity to do whatever you want to me."

She doesn't sound like she's kidding... ::lookaround

Buying Backup:

As John talks, Elizabeth nods, listening carefully, & occassionally taking notes on her own PDA...

"... would you prefer I have a male or female bodyguard?"

"Male."

The DeVries rep's response is instinctive & quick... a little too quick... ::blush Blushing she looks up, & tries to clarify her hasty statement,

"... er... that is to say..."

... then just shrugs,

"We girls can get a little jealous of the female Novas at times..."

Trying to get back to business, Ms Cable glances at her notes, then looks up once again to face her client,

"I have some ideas, based on the information you've supplied - but I'll need to make a few calls, see what can be moved around. If you're still in town, maybe we could meet up tomorrow night - dinner at a fiendishly expensive restaurant on the DeVries expense account is a perk I don't get to use as often as I'd like - but if it was to woo a potential client..." ::sly

"First, here's some food for thought. I'm a terrorist for going to Tokyo without asking for a VISA and causing property damage with my almighty powers. The news footage shows it all, broken glass everywhere and distraught restaurant goers, Pathfinder and I warping out from under Nippontai's noses. Do you want to know what really happened? Pathfinder and I were chatting and eating our dinner, the restaurant was as peaceful as any other night. Then Kou walks up and the next thing I know a flaming dome grabbed us from our tables and threw us out through a window and onto the street. She didn't say a word to us! What do you think I did next? I warped us out of there...that's what angered Nippontai. The whole team was there, we were assaulted and detained, and we got away."

Nathan listens in silence, not really interested in Terry's escapades in the orient...

Anticipating questions about his date Terry continues

"The only reason we were in Tokyo in the first place was that negotiations for Pathfinder's help to reach the harvesters had reached a deadlock as Mike can attest to. She was obviously interested in me and I offered her a date to speed things up and more or less challenged her to find Derek and the book as fast as she said she could."

*But you were the ones who worked slowly in the first place, man...*

Nathan looks about to reply, when..

Terry looks at Nate

"I know you think I didn't care about Natalia's plight...I did and still do. Believe what you will about Pathfinder, she's no monster and she's the most honest person you'll ever meet. She never hid the fact that Zia's probes would probably be painful, especially without the book. Contrarily to what you all think, she didn't condone outright torture because the girl is a baseline and Masters grandaughter to boot. She honestly believes that Zia could unlock some blocked nova Potential in Natalia, make her erupt. How far would you have gone to gain your powers? Personnally I don't support torture for any reason. I tried to get things resolved as fast as possible. She left Ibiza and five minutes later she had Derek. Now she could have just brought Teragen enforcers to Derek's position and taken the book...but true to her word she came back to me and took the you to Harbinger."

"The question isn't how far I would go to gain the powers I have now.", Nathan sighs. "The question is how far I would go to force an unwilling person to erupt. And the answer to that is obvious: It's none of my god damn business! Even if it is possible to predict a potential eruption, forcing someone to change through a traumatic experience is just plain evil. Being a nova does not mean being happy, Terry. That's where the terats go wrong. Why Pathfinder condones torture doesn't mean jack. It's the fact that she does that matters."

"What's got me worried, Terry, isn't that Nippontai brands you a terrorist, but that you don't mind your girlfriend being a kidnapper. By defending her you do support torture... Don't you see that?"

"Look, she may be honest and kind to animals and a great lay, but honesty's not everything. I... Oh, never mind. Criticizing a man's girl never works, anyway. I just don't like her, Terry. She pisses me off. Let's not take that discussion now."

Looking genuinely sorry that he brought it up, Nathan shuts his mouth.

Terry's gaze fixes them all

"I think you know better than I what happened there. You certainly know better than the rest of the world...Harbinger got hit by an earthquake as far as most people are concerned after all..." ::rolleyes

"A lot's happened since then. I've been trying to find a solution to Emma's problems, off the payroll might I add, in Egypt. I've also been trying to find a friend's killers, I actually talked to the Comparelli-Zuchov mob syndicate of New-York to gain information on these killers. Now the mob wants me dead. I'm still debating how to react to that...and I called Derek to know what's happening with all of you, if Natalia and Masters were alright. Kane wasn't telling me anything...and what happened next you all know."

At the mention of Emma's problems Nate looks up again, a different brightness in his eyes.

"Any luck? In Egypt, I mean?"

"The question isn't how far I would go to gain the powers I have now.", Nathan sighs. "The question is how far I would go to force an unwilling person to erupt. And the answer to that is obvious: It's none of my god damn business! Even if it is possible to predict a potential eruption, forcing someone to change through a traumatic experience is just plain evil. Being a nova does not mean being happy, Terry. That's where the terats go wrong. Why Pathfinder condones torture doesn't mean jack. It's the fact that she does that matters."

"What's got me worried, Terry, isn't that Nippontai brands you a terrorist, but that you don't mind your girlfriend being a kidnapper. By defending her you do support torture... Don't you see that?"

"She doesn't condone torture, that's just what I said. If you had a crippled child and a simple, short but painful operation could restore her, wouldn't you do it? This is how she sees it, temporarily painful medical treatment. Natalia's nova potential has been artificially blocked, Zia wants to remove that block...or so I've been told. I bet Derek would be more qualified to discuss technicalities with us...As for Natalia being unwilling, I still don't know what the circumstances of her kidnapping were...have you talked with her?"

"Look, she may be honest and kind to animals and a great lay, but honesty's not everything. I... Oh, never mind. Criticizing a man's girl never works, anyway. I just don't like her, Terry. She pisses me off. Let's not take that discussion now."

Terry looks embarassed as he lowers his gaze

"You know, this girl you hate is the one that told me I should be ashamed of having even considered bugging my friends phones to see what you and Masters really think about me, if you wanted me dead..."

Terry looks up again

"I may be sleeping on the couch tonight...and I think she was right. Don't worry, none of your phones are bugged..by me. I'd appreciate it if you left them here though, I'm not so sure the phones aren't bugged at all."

At the mention of Emma's problems Nate looks up again, a different brightness in his eyes.

"Any luck? In Egypt, I mean?"

Terry shrugs

"Some...I've an eyewitness account of Nefertiti and Emma. I'd like to discuss it with Emma, could you ask her if she'd like to meet me? I'm sure Masters wouldn't approve but she isn't held prisoner, is she?" ::sly

Derek fumes quietly for most of the exchange.

"Just a point Terry: no-one forced you to enter Toyko bypassing passport control. I mean, if you choose to flout the existing laws *and* hang around a 'known terrorist', who belongs to a terrorist organisation that (appears, on the whole) is happy to wipe out chunks of people, then I don't know why you're surprised when you're forcibly removed from a restaurant.......

"As a rule, that's how authority figures deal with perceived terrorists. Always has been, always will be."

Derek sighs, seeming to calm somewhat.

"Regardless, what Zia says is what Zia says. I'd need to see some evidence.

"And, for the record, your analogy of an 'operation' is completely and utterly false. Pathfinder is (at best) deceiving herself, or a complete fool, if she believes that."

Derek looks Terry in the eye.

"An operation is when you know what you're doing. What Zia was doing was nothing short of Nazi-experimentation. Get that right, right now. He doesn't care about Emma. He doesn't want to care about Emma. Emma is dirt on the soles of Nefertiti's feet as far as he's concerned, and if he has to scrape her off one cell at a time, he'll do it.

"And *that* is worse than torture."

Derek pauses.

"And finally: my phone isn't bugged. And Emma isn't a prisoner any more. I have no objections of putting your offer to her. Just keep Pathfinder away from her."

"Male."

The DeVries rep's response is instinctive & quick... a little too quick...  Blushing she looks up, & tries to clarify her hasty statement,

"... er... that is to say..."

... then just shrugs,

"We girls can get a little jealous of the female Novas at times..."

A deep, rich laugh escapes the actor, and he smiles at Elizabeth, to take away any sting. "Thank you for your honesty. Male it is, then."

Trying to get back to business, Ms Cable glances at her notes, then looks up once again to face her client,

"I have some ideas, based on the information you've supplied - but I'll need to make a few calls, see what can be moved around. If you're still in town, maybe we could meet up tomorrow night - dinner at a fiendishly expensive restaurant on the DeVries expense account is a perk I don't get to use as often as I'd like - but if it was to woo a potential client..."

He chuckles. "Dinner sounds wonderful. I hope you don't mind if Jan tags along; I value her input, and, considering the green-eyed monster we were just discussing, having dinner alone with another woman may not be a grand idea." ::wink

"She doesn't condone torture, that's just what I said. If you had a crippled child and a simple, short but painful operation could restore her, wouldn't you do it? This is how she sees it, temporarily painful medical treatment. Natalia's nova potential has been artificially blocked, Zia wants to remove that block...or so I've been told. I bet Derek would be more qualified to discuss technicalities with us...As for Natalia being unwilling, I still don't know what the circumstances of her kidnapping were...have you talked with her?"

Nathan shakes his head, the set of his jaw indicating that Terry hit a sore spot. ::angry He glances sideways at Will hoping his friend won't bite Terry's head off, then faces the excop again.

"No, I haven't talked to her. Hardly anyone has. Will here is probably the one she trusts the most of us, and she won't even let him touch her. Oh yeah... she shows every indication of being a volunteer for this sh!t." ::sarcasm ::dry

"You know, this girl you hate is the one that told me I should be ashamed of having even considered bugging my friends phones to see what you and Masters really think about me, if you wanted me dead..."

Terry looks up again

"I may be sleeping on the couch tonight...and I think she was right. Don't worry, none of your phones are bugged..by me. I'd appreciate it if you left them here though, I'm not so sure the phones aren't bugged at all."

"I don't hate her. I don't know her well enough for that. But she seems to deliberately want to piss people off, and I gotta tell you: For a telepath, she's crap at people skills."

"And the phone doesn't have to be bugged.", Nathan shrugs. "Everything I say on the phone is recorded by the central anyway, and whenever the phone's on it tells the satellites where I am. Just like any other cellphone. But it doesn't record anything else."

"Some...I've an eyewitness account of Nefertiti and Emma. I'd like to discuss it with Emma, could you ask her if she'd like to meet me? I'm sure Masters wouldn't approve but she isn't held prisoner, is she?" ::sly
"And finally: my phone isn't bugged. And Emma isn't a prisoner any more. I have no objections of putting your offer to her. Just keep Pathfinder away from her."

Nathan gives Derek a puzzled glance ::huh

*Like that's your decision to make...?*

Then he turns to Terry and adds

"She's never been a prisoner. Except by that psycho alter ego of hers. Sure, I'll ask her. But I'm going with her. It's not that I don't trust you, but every second she spends out in the open she's in danger on some level. All the terats who aren't friends of yours have to do is watch your movements and they'll spot her. And you're not meeting her in a place like this either. If the shit hits the fan I can't bring her to safety if I don't know where we are. I know you can, but you can get knocked out too, remember?"

Nathan sighs, removes his shades and rubs his eyes, weak beams of light filtering through between his fingers.

"Look. Try to see me as a friend. A guy who's at least as concerned about Emma as you are. Forget the Masters International ID in my pocket, and understand that this is not just a job to me. Ok, so I get paid for looking after her and you don't. Big deal. That's a cheap shot, Terry. The fact is I care about her, and if you've dug up something that can help her I want to know."

Will shares the glance Nathan gives, it's clear he's teeterring over the edge but reigns himself in, too unsure of what might come out of his mouth if he he starts to use it.

"Look. Try to see me as a friend. A guy who's at least as concerned about Emma as you are. Forget the Masters International ID in my pocket, and understand that this is not just a job to me. Ok, so I get paid for looking after her and you don't. Big deal. That's a cheap shot, Terry. The fact is I care about her, and if you've dug up something that can help her I want to know."

Will, looking from Terry to Derek to Nate and shakes his head "Why the hell are we even discussing this? The risk is just too great as it is. If Nefertiti get's out AT ALL, accident or not, planned or not, we can't stop her and we all lose. Last time we had that Nullifier and that Alex guy around to help restrain her, this time we're on our own and you all saw what she could do. If Masters is right and I'm willing to take the old bastard's word for it, she'll leave a huge trail of distruction and death in her wake". Looking Nathan straight in his inhuman eyes "We know Nefertiti isn't unstopable, T2M will try to and probably end up killing her, it's just not worth the risk." ::hmmm

Will, looking from Terry to Derek to Nate and shakes his head "Why the hell are we even discussing this? The risk is just too great as it is. If Nefertiti get's out AT ALL, accident or not, planned or not, we can't stop her and we all lose. Last time we had that Nullifier and that Alex guy around to help restrain her, this time we're on our own and you all saw what she could do. If Masters is right and I'm willing to take the old bastard's word for it, she'll leave a huge trail of distruction and death in her wake". Looking Nathan straight in his inhuman eyes "We know Nefertiti isn't unstopable, T2M will try to and probably end up killing her, it's just not worth the risk." ::hmmm

"What are you saying, Will? We should lock her up?" ::confused

Nathan shakes his head slowly.

"She doesn't deserve that. Besides, the risk of Miss Egypt popping out isn't that great. She will appear if Emma's life is in danger, or if some of the Akhenaten Cult's posthypnotic commands are spoken to her. There is of course always a small risk that she may be seen by some of their agents if she leaves MI Secure areas, and that is why she never does so alone. She's always accompanied by either agents with all the scifi tech Masters can whip up, or me."

Raising an eyebrow towards Terry he continues

"So unless you wanna run some egyptian phrases by her to see if they mean anything, I don't see no harm in you just talking to her. But not where she can be easily snatched by the wrong people." ::sly

"Look, Will. Masters doesn't mind me taking her shopping, flying, clubbing or whatever. Yes, the safest thing for the world might be to lock her up in some super-villain prison, but she doesn't deserve that. Hell, she even suggests things like that herself! Anyway, it's not my decision who she wants to talk to. It's not yours, and it's not Derek's. It's hers."

"But", he adds, pointing a finger at Terry, "you better control your woman. I can only assume that she hasn't found Emma yet because she's dormed down and Pathfinder doesn't know her well enough."

He sighs, and when he continues there's no threat or anger in his voice, but a hint of sadness. "I bet finding me isn't half as difficult, and if she pops up and grabs Emma on my watch you better hope you see me first the next time we meet..." ::confused

"Just a point Terry: no-one forced you to enter Toyko bypassing passport control. I mean, if you choose to flout the existing laws *and* hang around a 'known terrorist', who belongs to a terrorist organisation that (appears, on the whole) is happy to wipe out chunks of people, then I don't know why you're surprised when you're forcibly removed from a restaurant.......

"As a rule, that's how authority figures deal with perceived terrorists. Always has been, always will be."

Terry frowns at Derek's hostile tone

"Right Derek, maybe T2M should just manhandle anyone they please and ask questions later. They didn't even ask us to step out! We didn't make the slightest move to run away or act aggressively in any way when Kou walked in! Do our civil liberties die when our nodes erupt? Its funny how I'm flaunting existing laws when I warp to Japan for dinner but I'm a hero when I warp to Ibiza to catch a plane and rescue passengers...Tell me, did you have a license to make all that beer at John's party? How about you Will? Do you respect speed limits when you run? The fact that we use our abilities doesn't make us criminals."

Derek sighs, seeming to calm somewhat.

"Regardless, what Zia says is what Zia says. I'd need to see some evidence.

"Well, you're the best equipped to get that evidence Derek. Is there any reason none of you are surprised at my saying Natalia's nova potential was artificially blocked? Check it Derek, make your eyes capable of taking catscans or take a blood sample with a handshake or whatever...can you do that? If Zia is telling the truth then maybe we'll talk again about this...personnally I'm inclined to disbelieve it. A suggestion? Keep this quiet...if you mention it to Masters and its true you'll probably never get any chance to get close to her..."

Derek looks Terry in the eye.

"An operation is when you know what you're doing. What Zia was doing was nothing short of Nazi-experimentation. Get that right, right now. He doesn't care about Emma. He doesn't want to care about Emma. Emma is dirt on the soles of Nefertiti's feet as far as he's concerned, and if he has to scrape her off one cell at a time, he'll do it.

"And *that* is worse than torture."

Derek pauses.

Terry shrugs

"So we're agreed then. That's why I'm trying to help Emma, not Nefertiti. I thought you knew me better than this Derek...if anyone's been devoted to her cause since the beginning, it's me. And uh..Zia never touched Emma as far as I know... "

"No, I haven't talked to her. Hardly anyone has. Will here is probably the one she trusts the most of us, and she won't even let him touch her. Oh yeah... she shows every indication of being a volunteer for this sh!t." 

Terry shakes his head sadly

"Look, I'm not happy about what happened...let's just try to find out what really happened and what has been happening in Masters' household. Pathfinder tells me Masters doesn't like Novas much, hopefully you can convince me she's lying."

"She's never been a prisoner. Except by that psycho alter ego of hers. Sure, I'll ask her. But I'm going with her. It's not that I don't trust you, but every second she spends out in the open she's in danger on some level. All the terats who aren't friends of yours have to do is watch your movements and they'll spot her. And you're not meeting her in a place like this either. If the shit hits the fan I can't bring her to safety if I don't know where we are. I know you can, but you can get knocked out too, remember?"

Nathan sighs, removes his shades and rubs his eyes, weak beams of light filtering through between his fingers.

Terry's powerful barytone voice softens somewhat

"I'm sorry Nate, that's not what I meant. I was merely pointing out that I'm still trying to do my damndest even if I'm not on the payroll anymore...even if I'm supposedly the bad guy now. I know you care for her..."

Will, looking from Terry to Derek to Nate and shakes his head "Why the hell are we even discussing this? The risk is just too great as it is. If Nefertiti get's out AT ALL, accident or not, planned or not, we can't stop her and we all lose. Last time we had that Nullifier and that Alex guy around to help restrain her, this time we're on our own and you all saw what she could do. If Masters is right and I'm willing to take the old bastard's word for it, she'll leave a huge trail of distruction and death in her wake". Looking Nathan straight in his inhuman eyes "We know Nefertiti isn't unstopable, T2M will try to and probably end up killing her, it's just not worth the risk." 
"So unless you wanna run some egyptian phrases by her to see if they mean anything, I don't see no harm in you just talking to her. But not where she can be easily snatched by the wrong people." 

"Look, Will. Masters doesn't mind me taking her shopping, flying, clubbing or whatever. Yes, the safest thing for the world might be to lock her up in some super-villain prison, but she doesn't deserve that. Hell, she even suggests things like that herself! Anyway, it's not my decision who she wants to talk to. It's not yours, and it's not Derek's. It's hers."

Terry nods in approval of what Nate is saying...

"But", he adds, pointing a finger at Terry, "you better control your woman. I can only assume that she hasn't found Emma yet because she's dormed down and Pathfinder doesn't know her well enough."

He sighs, and when he continues there's no threat or anger in his voice, but a hint of sadness. "I bet finding me isn't half as difficult, and if she pops up and grabs Emma on my watch you better hope you see me first the next time we meet..."

Terry raises his hands as if powerless to accept the terms

"Where exactly is somewhere 'safe'? I'm not going to an MI facility, I don't want to end up wherever John is. Unlike you I have an idea of what to expect there...and I hate to break this to you but if Pathfinder hasn't found Emma yet it's because she hasn't tried...all she has to do is find you and read your mind. Exactly like she did with Derek at Westchester and when she got the book. But I understand your caution, I'd do the same...Personnally I always tend to think somewhere in the middle of nowhere, away from the prying eyes of satellites or civilization is safe...I'm kinda close to the one person that can find me...but maybe you'd prefer a compromise...somewhere more public? Is there somewhere you know of that's both public and able to give us some privacy that you know of?"

Derek frowns right back.

"Listen Terry, if you're going to piss about, at least drop the pretense of wanting to help. Yeah, I'm damn angry.

"Keywords: known frigging terrorist.

"That's NOT the same as T2M Manhandling 'anyone'. That was the Nippontai (y'know the *official* authority in Japan) removing an illegal alien and believed terrorist. T2M are NOT an official authority in this, or any other, Nation last I checked." ::angry

"Hyperbole is not conducive to any discussion. Ever."

"As for the rest of that stuff, no I can't do that sort of thing. I'm a scientist, not a super-hero...."

Derek's tone softens.

"I don't believe you ever had anything but the best intentions. But.... And take this in the spirit it's being given:

"You're acting like a fool. Like the repercussions you've experienced are not your fault. Mincing words, claiming that the Nippontai had no right to treat an illegal alien with massively powerful weapons at his disposial in such a short manner. Like Pathfinder is really just 'misunderstood'.

"How can you believe that you were going to be faced with any other reception? C'mon. Last I checked you're not an idiot. This whole "oh gosh.... gee, why me?" is nonsense....."

"As for Zia never touching Natalia? Hah.... Someone did. Either at his direction, or not. And I'm not inclined to believe 'not'....." ::angry

Derek frowns right back.

"Listen Terry, if you're going to piss about, at least drop the pretense of wanting to help. Yeah, I'm damn angry.

"Keywords: known frigging terrorist.

"That's NOT the same as T2M Manhandling 'anyone'. That was the Nippontai (y'know the *official* authority in Japan) removing an illegal alien and believed terrorist. T2M are NOT an official authority in this, or any other, Nation last I checked." 

"Hyperbole is not conducive to any discussion. Ever."

"The pretense of wanting to help?!"

Terry doesn't look happy as he somehow seems to grow bigger than he really is...

(activate awe-inspiring, I'll make an intimidation roll 'cause nothing angers him more than being told he doesn't really want to help...)

"As for the rest of that stuff, no I can't do that sort of thing. I'm a scientist, not a super-hero...."

"I don't believe you ever had anything but the best intentions. But.... And take this in the spirit it's being given:

"You're acting like a fool. Like the repercussions you've experienced are not your fault. Mincing words, claiming that the Nippontai had no right to treat an illegal alien with massively powerful weapons at his disposial in such a short manner. Like Pathfinder is really just 'misunderstood'

How can you believe that you were going to be faced with any other reception? C'mon. Last I checked you're not an idiot. This whole "oh gosh.... gee, why me?" is nonsense....."

"So you are saying that novas forfeit their civil liberties...any nova can expect authorities to barge in on them and take them away. Which words am I mincing exactly? I was seen with Pathfinder, yes. So that's grounds to throw me around a bit and take me in? No warrant necessary? No asking to surrender myself to the local authorities?...And you refuse to learn the truth about Natalia? Is it because I don't have any money to offer you? Tell me, are you also working on anti-nova weapons for Masters?"

Terry eyes the novas around him, his face drawn in anger but his voice now calm.

"I understand your suspicion...Hell, I would've probably been the same before...but tell me, what do you know of the Teragen. They're terrorists because the media says they are? The same news networks that said Harbinger succumbed to an earthquake? The same that claims I've caused a seismic disturbance in Tokyo and destroyed a restaurant? Not all Teragen members are like Eel..."

(I'd make a persuasion role but I don't think it'd help with PCs... ::sarcasm )

"As for Zia never touching Natalia? Hah.... Someone did. Either at his direction, or not. And I'm not inclined to believe 'not'....." 

"We were talking about Emma Derek, Emma. There are two women here. Zia says Natalia's node has been blocked by her grandfather. I'm working on trying to help Emma get rid of Nefertiti..."

"The pretense of wanting to help?!"

Terry doesn't look happy as he somehow seems to grow bigger than he really is...

Nathan almost falls backwards off the log he's sitting on ::blink , but jumps back up to land between Derek and Terry.

"Whoa!! Easy, boys... That wasn't called for, Derek. And Terry: I'm sure he didn't mean it as bad as it sounded... Everybody calm down, please...?"

*Besides*, Nathan thinks to himself, *I'm having more and more problems taking Derek seriously outside of a lab...*

He does his best to ignore the metallic scientist's ongoing rant and focuses on Terry through their argument, the charismatic ex-cop somehow demanding even more attention now than usually.

"I understand your suspicion...Hell, I would've probably been the same before...but tell me, what do you know of the Teragen. They're terrorists because the media says they are? The same news networks that said Harbinger succumbed to an earthquake? The same that claims I've caused a seismic disturbance in Tokyo and destroyed a restaurant? Not all Teragen members are like Eel..."

"If I were to go off on a conspiracy theory discussion - which I normally don't until I've had a few drinks too many - I might agree that some of them are being depicted as worse than they deserve. And we all know not to believe everything we see on the OpNet. But that's kinda beside the point as far as I'm concerned. Of the five terats I can remember meeting, three tried to kill me and the other two were condescending, holier-than-thou assholes. Granted, one of them was nice and friendly about it, but still an elitist as bad as they come."

"You see, I had a much more nuanced and partially positive view of the Teragen before I actually met some of them. In my book they all went downhill from there."

Rubbing his chin in thought, Nathan continues

"But I want to go back to Pathfinder again. Not for long, but I just need you to clarify one thing, Terry. I know she could find me. And I can't help but think that there are two possible reasons why she hasn't: Either she hasn't thought about it, or she has some strange sort of respect for your feelings in the Emma-situation. I find the last alternative hard to believe, since freeing Miss Egypt seems to be on the Teragen To-Do-list..."

"So I'm wondering... Will she respect your wishes in this matter? Or will she grab Emma the first chance she gets and look forward to the makeup-sex once you finish yelling at her?"

Flipping his shades over in his hands he looks at Terry for a moment before he adds

"I'm sure you understand why I feel that this is a fairly important question..." ::sly

Derek sighs.

"Yes, the pretense of wanting to help. I have not said that is what you are acting under.

"Either you want to help, or you have a pretense of help. It's really quite logical.

"If you want to help, then help. Otherwise, drop the pretense.

"Note: I'm not assuming either case. This conversation will be simpler if you choose to be rational...."

"As for mincing words: Pathfinder is a terrorist. You were having dinner with a terrorist in Tokyo. All this "any nova can expect authorities to barge in on them and take them away" you are spouting is nonsense. You are dancing around the facts of a matter: The nippontai dealt with a terrorist and her dinner-companion as terrorists.

"Dress it up in some civil-liberties bullshit, and downplay the fact that Pathfinder is a terrorist (not once have you argued against this, by the by), and you are mincing words. I'm sorry it needs to be spelt out."

Derek frowns.

"As for "refusing to learn the truth about Natalia"? When haveI said that? This is more rhetoric. I am more than happy to take a look at any evidence I can get.

"And yes, in the simplest possible terms, I am working on anti-nova weaponry. I, however, wouldn't refer to it in those terms. The terms you use are emotive, and imply the weaponry is designed to harm Novas. When the device is simply designed to prevent a Nova from harming others."

Derek sighs.

"Yes, the pretense of wanting to help. I have not said that is what you are acting under.

"Either you want to help, or you have a pretense of help. It's really quite logical.

"If you want to help, then help. Otherwise, drop the pretense.

This doesn't seem to be helping Terry's humor much...

"What the hell do you think I've been doing all this time? If I've met someone who's seen Emma over 50 years ago and asked him about Nefertiti then I'm probably not just sitting around on my arse all day am I? Its not like that kind of information is just in a directory somewhere! What the hell have you done lately to tell me to drop the pretense of wanting to help, Derek?"

"Note: I'm not assuming either case. This conversation will be simpler if you choose to be rational...."

"As for mincing words: Pathfinder is a terrorist. You were having dinner with a terrorist in Tokyo. All this "any nova can expect authorities to barge in on them and take them away" you are spouting is nonsense. You are dancing around the facts of a matter: The nippontai dealt with a terrorist and her dinner-companion as terrorists.

"Dress it up in some civil-liberties bullshit, and downplay the fact that Pathfinder is a terrorist (not once have you argued against this, by the by), and you are mincing words. I'm sorry it needs to be spelt out."

"So now its bullshit! You probably also don't mind that Glacier isn't even on US soil anymore...and the fact that he has no access to a lawyer or any visitation rights is normal. I bet he's a terrorist too, right? They don't have rights..."

Derek frowns.

"As for "refusing to learn the truth about Natalia"? When haveI said that? This is more rhetoric. I am more than happy to take a look at any evidence I can get.

"Sure, as long as its all given to you...God forbid you actually try to get any evidence yourself... ::angry "

"And yes, in the simplest possible terms, I am working on anti-nova weaponry. I, however, wouldn't refer to it in those terms. The terms you use are emotive, and imply the weaponry is designed to harm Novas. When the device is simply designed to prevent a Nova from harming others."

"Sure Derek, I'm sure all who'll use the weapon will have the noblest of hearts...no one would dream of disabling a nova's defenses to shoot him dead... ::sarcasm "

Nathan almost falls backwards off the log he's sitting on  , but jumps back up to land between Derek and Terry.

"Whoa!! Easy, boys... That wasn't called for, Derek. And Terry: I'm sure he didn't mean it as bad as it sounded... Everybody calm down, please...?"

"No?"

Terry throws Derek a cold stare, feeling somewhat betrayed by the 'friend' who was with him to get the group to Natalia...

Rubbing his chin in thought, Nathan continues

"But I want to go back to Pathfinder again. Not for long, but I just need you to clarify one thing, Terry. I know she could find me. And I can't help but think that there are two possible reasons why she hasn't: Either she hasn't thought about it, or she has some strange sort of respect for your feelings in the Emma-situation. I find the last alternative hard to believe, since freeing Miss Egypt seems to be on the Teragen To-Do-list..."

"So I'm wondering... Will she respect your wishes in this matter? Or will she grab Emma the first chance she gets and look forward to the makeup-sex once you finish yelling at her?"

Terry actually laughs at this, breaking the built up tension instantly.

"Now that's a thought! I don't think there's any way she just hasn't thought of it. It may be that she hasn't out of respect for me but I think its much more likely that she's just not as important as you think to the Teragen...I hope that's the case, I can ask her later if you'd like."

or now...

Flipping his shades over in his hands he looks at Terry for a moment before he adds

"I'm sure you understand why I feel that this is a fairly important question..." 

Terry nods

"Of course, I don't want her to be taken any more than you do."

Derek sighs.

"You are being completely irrational and unreasonable.

"I have not accused you of pretending to want to help, yet you are continuing to act as if I have."

Derek shakes his head sadly.

"When you are prepared to have a rational conversaion, which includes not-avoiding issues, and attacking people for making basic observations, feel free to contact me.

"For now, I wish to leave. Please open a warp. Back to your apartment door will suffice fine."

"Why?"
"Oh for f*ck's sake, Derek! You'll get a new one the moment you get back to work. Maybe he's paranoid, maybe he's got a right to be. Just humor him, will ya?" 

Nate looks like his patience is wearing thin from the endless and pointless discussion.

Terry nods and waits for Derek's phone

Derek raises an eyebrow at Nate.

"I came here on the understanding that Terry wished to speak to us.

"I listened to how he blames the Nippontai for dealing with a perceived threat. And how he felt he was in the right to circumvent immigration control in Japan with a known terrorist.

"I listened to his multiple accusations against Masters, and how he has no evidence of what Masters has done.

"I listened to his request that I examine evidence which I do not have. Nor am I about to approach Natalia with surgical implements.

"He has offered nothing, no copies of evidence from Zia, no compromise, no "hell, maybe skipping into Tokyo with a known terrorist *was* a bit dumb". Nothing.

"And now he wants my phone. Whether or not I get a new one is irrelevant. Nor have I refused to give it to him.

"I've simply asked yet another simple question: why must I hand it over?

"And I'll add another: am I going to get it back, intact?"

Derek raises an eyebrow at Nate.

"I came here on the understanding that Terry wished to speak to us.

"I listened to how he blames the Nippontai for dealing with a perceived threat. And how he felt he was in the right to circumvent immigration control in Japan with a known terrorist.

"I listened to his multiple accusations against Masters, and how he has no evidence of what Masters has done.

"I listened to his request that I examine evidence which I do not have. Nor am I about to approach Natalia with surgical implements.

"He has offered nothing, no copies of evidence from Zia, no compromise, no "hell, maybe skipping into Tokyo with a known terrorist *was* a bit dumb". Nothing.

"And now he wants my phone. Whether or not I get a new one is irrelevant. Nor have I refused to give it to him.

"I've simply asked yet another simple question: why must I hand it over?

"And I'll add another: am I going to get it back, intact?"

Terry shakes his head in exasperation

"The evidence I have was given to me by Zia. Like that couldn't be doctored? The real evidence is right under your nose Derek but you won't even try to get to it. I thought you were supposed to be smart, I'm sure you can find a way to get a look at her. Just remember, once you blabber about this there's no way you'll get that evidence and until we get it, we'll never know if what he's saying is true or not."

"As for the phone, it should be obvious even to those who don't have your brains. They could be bugged. I was assured I could bug your phones and make it undetectable. If I can do it, he MI can. As for your getting it back...sure, I'll mail it to you."

"I don't fully agree on the 'undetectable', but your reasoning is acceptable."

Derek hands over the phone.

"I shall see if there are any samples of Natalias blood, or other tissue samples on file. I doubt there are.

"I can't think of a way to get a sample from Natalia without arousing suspicion. Especially since I am in the employ of MI as an engineer, not a doctor."

Derek gestures towards where they arrived.

"Now, if you could......

"Friends ask the hard questions, Terry. No-one else cares enough to do so......"

"I don't fully agree on the 'undetectable', but your reasoning is acceptable."

Derek hands over the phone.

"I shall see if there are any samples of Natalias blood, or other tissue samples on file. I doubt there are.

"I can't think of a way to get a sample from Natalia without arousing suspicion. Especially since I am in the employ of MI as an engineer, not a doctor."

"I wouldn't bother with the files, at best they'd just be modified anyway. At worst they could raise flags. But never say never Derek. Build a tricorder and show it off to Masters on his grandaughter. Or maybe Will can kiss her and test her somehow with one of your nifty gadgets...I don't know, you're the genius, not me. Just try to think of something...I never said it'd be easy..."

Derek gestures towards where they arrived.

"Now, if you could......

"Friends ask the hard questions, Terry. No-one else cares enough to do so......"

Terry sighs and nods...

"That goes both ways Derek...thanks."

Terry takes the phone and slaps Derek's shoulder gently in an all-is-forgiven-still-friends kinda way. Before Derek the air shimmers and a large black sphere appears. In the middle a white speck is pulled to the forefront reveiling the street outside Terry's apartment.

"You rebel you...Costa Rica and back and no VISA to show for it...Just tell 'em you were kidnapped by a terrorist. ::wink ::tongue "

Derek shrugs.

"Aye, but if immigration smacked me down for it, I know it wouldn't be unwarranted."

He nods to the rest of the guys.

"You can get me on the office phone. I'll have a mobile shortly enough, and it'll divert to the new one."

And steps on through.

Once through the warp, Derek heads for his lab.

Or maybe Will can kiss her and test her somehow with one of your nifty gadgets... I don't know, you're the genius, not me. Just try to think of something...I never said it'd be easy..."

::angry Will snaps "Wait just a damned minute! There's no way I'm gonna let any of you near her, she's been through more than enough! And I'm sure as hell not going to help you with this crap either! So you're right it's not going to be easy, it's going to be f*cking impossible!" Taking out his phone and tossing it to Terry's feet, "Take me back!" ::angry

Will snaps "Wait just a damned minute! There's no way I'm gonna let any of you near her, she's been through more than enough! And I'm sure as hell not going to help you with this crap either! So you're right it's not going to be easy, it's going to be f*cking impossible!" Taking out his phone and tossing it to Terry's feet, "Take me back!" 

Terry looks and the phone at his feet and slowly raises his head again, fixing Will with his gaze.

"Zia says he can reverse the block, he knows how. He's got an "antidote". Would you deny her that? Make all she's been through for nothing?"

"I wouldn't."

"All I'm asking is that we try to determine the truth. Obviously if you want to find out surreptitiously there won't be any intrusive tests. Even better, if you're close to her...really close to her...you can ask her. But once Masters knows, if what Zia says is true, you won't have access to her ever again and her ordeal will have been for nothing."

... The only other figure in the room is that of Psyche - just as John recalls her from their earlier encounter. The T2Mer stands, hands on hips, feet shoulder-width apart, a dozen meters in front of Glacier. As the teenage ice-Nova gains his feet, the beautiful femme before him tosses her long hair & calls out - her voice firm & distinct, rather than loud,

"One chance, John - one opportunity to do whatever you want to me."

She doesn't sound like she's kidding...

Glacier looks like he doesn't need the invitation. He begins to walk before she even finishes the sentence, looking like no force on the planet could stop him or speed him up. The ursine killer seems more inhuman than ever as he stares Psyche straight in the eye, and no normal person could gauge his thoughts or intentions from the dead, glacial stare she meets. He walks in close, close enough for her to feel the cold. A smile grows onto his face like the finishing touch on a suit of impregnable armor, and he takes a final step. The cold fades just as his foot touches the ground, and by the time his second foot is next to it, John Walker is standing, legs apart and arms crossed over his not unimpressive chest, an arm's length from the beautiful and intimidating dominova. His quiet smile, no longer inhuman, is ironic and wary, but not unfriendly, and the way in which he meets her eyes seems strangely sincere and open.

"What would I want to do to you? I don't even know you yet. Save your deathwish for people with real grudges against you." ::unsure ::blush

Terry looks and the phone at his feet and slowly raises his head again, fixing Will with his gaze.

"Zia says he can reverse the block, he knows how. He's got an "antidote". Would you deny her that? Make all she's been through for nothing?"

"I wouldn't."

::sneaky2 Will glares at Terry "I don't trust Zia, not him not his motives and not his associates, I'll never let them get close to her again. All she's been through was at their hands... Besides what the hell is so great about being one of us, Terry? I've had nothing but trouble since, Christ I've even killed a man! If that's the door way I'm openning for her then maybe, just maybe I don't want that for her".

Will sighs and in a more sedate tone "The warp please Terry, I can't help you with this, I just can't. ::sleep

Will glares at Terry "I don't trust Zia, not him not his motives and not his associates, I'll never let them get close to her again. All she's been through was at their hands... Besides what the hell is so great about being one of us, Terry? I've had nothing but trouble since, Christ I've even killed a man! If that's the door way I'm openning for her then maybe, just maybe I don't want that for her".

"Is that your choice to make? Its easy to say it isn't so great now that you have nova powers. Yeah, never getting sick, perpetual great health, abilities that can help the world, awesome pay and recognition...I can see why she wouldn't want to become a nova ::rolleyes ...You chose your own path Will, other novas can and do live lives devoid of any violence. If there is a choice it should be hers, not yours and not her grandfather's. I don't trust Zia either, that's why we have to make sure."

Being an insensitive male stereotype...:

"Dinner sounds wonderful. I hope you don't mind if Jan tags along; I value her input, and, considering the green-eyed monster we were just discussing, having dinner alone with another woman may not be a grand idea."

Ms Cable just about manages to hide the disappointment & annoyance that fight for dominance of her expression as Fabry suggests the very last thing she'd ever want to have to deal with - dinner with the most beautiful woman in the world. Instead, her face manages to retain a professional composure as she says,

"That'd be fine."

Standing & offering her hand the DeVries rep' concludes the meeting,

"Until then, John."

Once the actor has departed...

... Elizabeth sat & fumed quietly - typical insensitive man! She makes a point of mentioning the fact that oh-so-bloody-perfect Nova women tend to make a girl feel like a dirty urchin, & he decides to bring the most-bloody-beautiful-bloody-woman in the whole-bloody-world along! God, what a nightmare - & she couldn't back out now without looking like a total idiot! Damn that man!

The DeVries representative's thoughts continued in a similar vein for quite some time... Suddenly a notion struck her - not a prefect one, but a possible way to even the odds just a little. Flipping open her cell-phone & hitting the speed dial, Ms Cable waited until the call was answered,

"Vinnie? Hi. How's the job going? No - no details, please... No, I was just calling to ask if you wanted to escort me to dinner? No... No, I'm in New York at the moment. I'm meeting a client. You may have heard of him - the actor, John Fabry? Yes, yes - the one who's dating Janet Thorne. Well, he's bringing a date, so I thought... Yes, I think he might have mentioned her name... ::rolleyes Anyway, how about it?" Elizabeth waited for an answer from the handsome Elite, hoping that she hadn't sounded too desperate...

Choices:

"What would I want to do to you? I don't even know you yet. Save your deathwish for people with real grudges against you."

Psyche doesn't flinch as the bear approaches, standing her ground & peering up at where the young Nova 'floats' within the chill anima. Calmly she reflects,

"An interesting choice of words, Glacier - 'deathwish'? 'Grudges'? Even your descision of inaction speaks volumes about you. Of course, it's only yourself you're deceiving. Not feeling any pent-up rage? No frustration? Not even a few horny little teenager hormones racing through those icy veins? Maybe you aren't human any more?.. I've already stripped your mind away one layer at a time. I know you better than you know yourself. Make no mistakes, you belong to me."

The T2Mer shrugs slightly,

"However - it was your choice, so you'll have to live with it."

The tattooed telepath very deliberately turns her back on the bear, walking a few paces away. Still facing away from him she asks, over her shoulder,

"Tell me, Glacier: what are your darkest fantasies?"

Incognito:

As he steps through the warp from the jungles to New York City, Derek is so lost in his own thoughts that he almost misses the fact that there is a not inconsiderable crowd gathered in the street outside Terry's apartment! As the warp, & its Nova passenger, appear, the group - many with cameras or autograph books - surge forward, snapping pictures (of both Interface & the scene through the other side of the portal) & all clamouring for attention - asking questions, requesting autographs, & the like. The portal snaps shut before any of the Novaphiles can reach it, leaving the metallic Interface surrounded & facing the sorts of questions that Masters International's PR department warned him not to answer - it seems that some in the crowd recognised the company he was keeping on the other side of the warp...

The little voice in the back of Derek's head - the voice he's slowly learning to pay attention to - coughs politely & points out the obvious,

"Uh... You didn't expect several known & recognisable Novas turning up at a coffee shop in downtown NYC to go completely unnoticed did you, genius?" ::rolleyes

Derek manages to stifle an involuntary shriek at the sight of all the hounding people.

"......"

"uh......"

Wheels turn. And certainty suddenly flashes in his eyes!

"Ha! No comment!"

"......"

"No comment."

"......"

"No comment? Please?"

Derek heads for the sidewalk, using 'autograph-signing' as his ice-breaker through the flotsam of the crowd of people.

He smiles and nods (the sick smile and nod of a man who knows the electric chair is around the corner), and signs autographs to stave off the anim... people. ::halo

Archived