Changing the Continuum...

Prophet

Alright, my question to all of you, is...

If you were the developer of Trinity, Aberrant, and Adventure and were to start from scratch, what would change to make the system or setting better.

Me first...

Trinity: Rework things in order to disassociate aptitudes from orders.  For me the orders would by Psi factions, like Teragen and Project Proteus are factions of Novas in Aberrant.  I'd keep the one-aptitude characters but also allow for psychomorphs in the main rules as well.

Aberrant: Major rework.  Aeon is not the bad guy in the setting, and it does not approve of Proteus (who has gone "rogue" because of Chiraben).  Aeon started Utopia with the UN but more and more the UN beaucrats are taking control (and thats not a good thing).  Aeon is basically still the good (but not lillywhite) guys they are in Trinity and Adventure.

Generally I would work Aberrant to be more in line with Adventure and Trinity's scope and direction.  If this means that certain elements of the setting (like the giga-powers of the Players Guide) need to be de-emphisized, then so be it.

Adventure: Not really anything.  Of the three games, this is what I am most happy with.  But then again, it has two other game systems to help work out the bugs...

Generally: Adventure openned up the world with Telluric Energy.  While we don't need to go crazy, some of the unpredictable nature of Z-Waves needs to filter into the other two games.  Aberrant Quantum is not as fun as Stalwart Inspiration and that should change.  After all, if Aberrant is to try to encompass the superhero genre, then it should integrate the wackiness of the hero universe into it.

One shouldn't think that we are WoD-izing the system just because the world physics sometimes go all bendy and we get superscience and undead armies...  :P

good thread - righty, my take.

Trinity:  Leave it alone.  I honestly prefer it, altough I've only ST'd it, and never ran it - so we'd have to ask my players what they think - Snr Mal? any thoughts.

I actually prefer the limitations on powers that the Prometheus Chambers impose - I prefer games with 'low power' settings - I much prefer getting players to think of ways around things without having anything to rely on whatsoever other than their own ingenuity.

If I had to, I'd go further with the rules changes.  Trinity made the changes to the ST system that were long overdue (tips hat to Bates), but perhaps didn;t get the chance to go far enough.....

Aberrant: Tough one this, as I'd always accepted it as 'very different' to the other games.  It was written to be different, to deviate from the 'continuum'.  Personally, I think the powers are well over the top, but like I said, I'm not a fan of super powers - at all.  The way I see it, it could be a nightmare for a ST who doesn;t have the experience to keep the players in check, and kep the game moving along.  Fortunately, in our group the ST knows what he is doing and has kept us all busy and entertained, and has been quite prepared to stop things short of getting a bit, well, silly really. (Tips hat the Senior Mal).

Senior Mal would have a better take on this than me, as he's the ST.....

Adventure:  hmmmmm...  haven;t yet played it or run it, but Chambo99 is going t start running it for us in a couple of weeks.  The way it reads makes me think that there are the same inherent problems that Aberrant has - too over the top - but as I haven't played yet I can't do justice to that presumption....  

The bottom line for me is that I came into the Aeon Continuum wanting something different from the standard stuff out there.  I'd grown weary of running and playing WoD (I ran Vampire for years)...  but I liked the rules system better than others I'd done (I've been rpging for around 15 years)..... and when the Wolf announced that they were going to release a sci-fi setting I was instantly hooked.

I have a bnad habit of considering Adventure! as a historical reference book, and Aberrant as 'something else' entirely... :)

I'm accutely aware that I''ve moved a bit off topic here so... How would I change things if I were the developer.

Well, you'd need to reasses the whole lot methinks.  From this I mean what it would take to give the game a boost, and attract new players and ST's.  I'd look seriousloy about E-books as an avenue for smaller, easier to produce books (kinda like the mini books, but more like they were done in aberrant, not Trinity - with some rules stuff and game mechanics in there) - to flesh out the setting and the various groups.....

I'd also take a seroious look at what kinda of books sells well for the other game lines out there by other campanies that are in the same genre (superheroes, Sci-fi and pulp / cthulhu types)....  then give the Aeon fans something similar.....  

OK, I'm dribbling randomly here now - so ill stop :)

Anyone else?

oohhhhhhhh  final thought..

... and I'd make it a bloody requirement that the games are supported better by the company.  By this I mean web based stuff.

Im my own personal opinion (which is as flawed as anyone elses) the WW site is particularly poor at supporting the Aeon Continuum.  The Trinity website was never once updated that I recall (anything of real note I mean)....... and there is little to NO suport for guys like me who want to run continuum websites - and the powers that be are nothing short of negative when it comes to Aeon fan websites - something I've experienced personally at least twice.

Things like character sheets, free downloads, quick-starts for each order / grouping / faction etc, and proper support for things like webrings (yeah, like I want  'Dark Spiral' logo on this site - talk about missing the plot entirely! )...

As a developer this must have been / must still be a complete pain ffor Bates, Blackwelder, Baugh........

I know it would seriously get on my nerves.

[/end rant]

:)

My go...

All three games in my opinion have merits that far outway any possible flaws (Which can be more than easily overcome by a storyteller) and I wouldn't change them a great deal if I was the developer.

What I would change would have to be the through line (ooh ooh, look how he uses his university education) for the setting that runs between all the games. Prophet hit the nail on the head when he pointed out that Aeon in Aberrant should not have been portrayed as the bad guy, it just doesn't work, and instantly colours your perception of the society in the other two games.

At the end of the day the three games, while providing very different playing experiences, are supposed to be telling one story of mankinds evolution. The setting and background material should therefore be in keeping with that story so the three work in harmony, each helping the others to develop the whole story.

As I've played and ST'd for all three, I'll toss in my opinion.

Trinity: I'll admit from the start, I have a soft spot for Trinity. This is my absolute, all-time favorite (note: no U in favorite :P ) game. #1, and all.

I rather like the orders, how the Proxies are portrayed (Otha, especially), and the overall seeting. Lots of possibilities. I'd like to see a few more non-order, psion-focused organizations other than the Aeon Trinity.

Also, I'd give the Tech Manual a go-over. I'm not saying that things are bad in there. I just think that it needs to be brought more in line with everything else. Oh, and I'd add about 100 pages.  :D

Aberrant: Sore spot, here. I feel that Aberrant is _way_ out of line. It belongs more in WoD than in the Aeonverse. If I had control on this, I'd bring it more towards the Aeon feel: working for a better humanity.

Without restating what's already said, I'd go with an amalgam of what Prophet and Admin already suggested. Tone down the powers (a little, as this is supposed to be a supers game), and greatly tone down the darkness.

Adventure: I think this game by far is what the Aeonverse originally wanted to be. Bruce and Andrew did a marvelous job on this, and I'd be hard pressed, even with the proper skills, to do better.

Though it can have its over-the-top moments, it feels right when those things happen. Plus, with Dramatic Editing (usable by PCs or nefarious villains), things get more creative, encouraging even shy players to contribute.

In my world, that's what _I'd_ do.

-Joseph

• 5 months later...

wow, wish i'd found this thread earlier... ah well, here i go...

trinity: i can't stand splats... i'd eliminate the "this power only goes with this order" aspect... the dunking would trigger the latent abilities of the person not impose them... otherwise, i think trin is well done...

aberrant: i was actually thinking for a sort time of rewritting this game to better suit my style and how my take on the aeonverse is... then i thought to my self... am i crazy? answered myself yes and tossed the project out the window... so i'll just name off the few biggest things i see with aberrant...

this is the game i came in on really, i played a single game of trin and didn't understand it at all... the "bad guy" thing did set me off wrong though and i'm still inclined to think of trinity aeon as somehow corrupt... i would minimalize divis mal's influnence greatly, and bring down the levels of the NPC's from gods to just superhuman... the flat out might of the npc's smacks of VTM to me, the sort of "players can't accomplish anything" mentality pisses me off... i would take out most of the answers, it would never say who killed slider etc. in my mind that ruined the mystery for me and killed so many plots i had in mind...

adventure: more knacks, more supplements... need i say more?

advertising: i would pump up the advertising... i had never heard of trinity until joseph mentioned it one day... i had never seen the books or the tiny bits mentioned on the Wolf's site... i thought i was a die hard wolf fan and found out i had never even heard of one of it's lines...

I agree with Harlequin about the spoilers in the Abberant main book...

remebering telling players not to read past page 75 in the glossy bit of the main rules and ignore any reference to PR***US i'm not including it in my game, (heh heh heh)

Archived