Aberrant RPG - Post your Quantum Powers and Enh. here

CHILL

{I noticed you didn't respond to the "enhanced dodge while tied down & unconscious" problem.}

As is, this enhancement provides a huge advantage to ANY character type, including the euber-Brick. That by itself says it is too much.

My last euber-Brick had SuperHeavy Armor (+2 Diff), and Bodymorph (+1 Diff), and people were already having problems finding the four succ needed to hit him (and he rarely dodged). He also had Mega-Wits, with this people would have needed 5 succ to hit him.

But why stop there? A mentalist who needs to spend all his time using concentration powers could also benifit from an actionless dodge, and so could everyone else.

The costless, actionless dodge that is always on is a fun idea. It is also a broken one. That is why dodging takes an action.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
{I noticed you didn't respond to the "enhanced dodge while tied down & unconscious" problem.}

Actually I forgot about it while typing, I'll get to that in my next post.

He also had Mega-Wits, with this people would have needed 5 succ to hit him.

I said (twice) only if the Gm finds the enhancement apropriate for your mega wits character.

My last euber-Brick had SuperHeavy Armor (+2 Diff), and Bodymorph (+1 Diff), and people were already having problems finding the four succ needed to hit him (and he rarely dodged).

Let's use your brick character as an example, but we'll say he has Mega dex 2 instead of mega wits just so it works for this example ::tongue

Super heavy armour grants him +2 and Bodymorph grants him +1 total of +3. The +1 benefit from Untouchable is negated, superheavy drops his mega-dex to 0. total remains +3. If you're chacter chooses he needs speed in a certain situation and forgoes superheavy he gets +1 form body morph and +1 form untouchable, total +2.

Actually the closest power it resembles (mechanically speaking) is Gravity Control: Gravitic Shield. Since enhancements cost the same to buy as a level 2 power and Gavitic Sheild can be purchased as a level 2 power I don't see the issue. The overall effect of a level 1 GS is a +1 to difficulty, for either power to reach +3 it will cost 9NP/21XP (if purchased as a level 2, 15NP/30XP @level 3) for GS, and 15NP/56XP for Invulnerable with Mega Dex 5. Since someone is paying soo much more for the same effect I don't have a problem with making it permanent.

I'm not sure I'd agree with a lot of that. Gravitic Shield has a rather limited effect - physical attacks only, is a Maintenance power, & costs the standard 3 QP to activate. The suggested Untouchable is much more powerful, being active at all times for no cost, & being effective against all forms of attack. Gravitic Shield also has a standard Quantum minimum of 4, which the Enhancement doesn't. Being allowed to buy Gravitic Shield as a level 2 power outside of the Gravity Control suite is very much a ST call.

I'd also question whether it's right to equate the power of an Enhancement with that of a level 2 power. Enhancements add options & effects to Mega-Attributes already purchased, & shouldn't, I feel, be as poweful as a level 2 (let alone a level 3) power. If anything, they should be as powerful as other Enhancements.

As already pointed out, the most common 'adds a Difficulty to-hit' power is Armour with the Superheavy Extra - & that costs QP to activate, as well as giving the character other penalties besides.

Sizemorph - Shrink also adds a lot of Difficulty to-hit a character, but also for a QP cost, & also has associated penalites as well.

Personally, if I was to use an Enhancement like 'Untouchable' I'd grant an extra difficulty to be hit equal to the character's associated Mega-Attribute (simply because it's easier, & fits with how several other Enhancements work), but limit the bonus to percieved attacks (so a guy with such an Enhancement really wants to buy Intuition as well), & charge a QP per turn for the use of the Enhancement.

Noxious Bile

Level: 1

Quantum Minimum: 1

Dice Pool: Dex +Noxious Bile

Range: (Stamina X 5) m

Area: N/A

Duration: Special

Effect: The Nova projects an acidic, corrosive, or otherwise harmful substance from their body. Inflicts Quantum + (Power level) L Damage. Plus and additional 1/2 damage each turn for (Power level) turns.

Multiple Actions: Yes.

Description: A rather gruesome ability demonstrated by certain heavily tainted Nova's, this power allows the nova to project a hazardous chemical agent from their bodies (often from the mouth or other more "exotic" orifices. This power inflicts Quantum+ (Power level) L. in addition, the substance continues to burn the target at 1/2 damage for (Power level) subsequent turns.

I'd say that this one was way too powerful for a level 1 power. The two level one powers that inflict damage are Claws (which adds to damage the character can already inflict), & Quantum Conversion (which allows a very costly 1 level of Bashing per QP, or 1 level of Lethal per 2 QP). Both of those also have no ranged component, & neither has any built-in Extras (like Noxious Bile has the Burning Extra built-in for 'free'). To build Noxious Bile normally you'd just add the Burning Extra to a Quantum Bolt, or the Projectile Extra to Poison, or something similar.

Since it's the closest existing level 1 power we have, I suggest we base this one on Quantum Conversion (since the attack's damage, unlike Claws, isn't dependent on any other Traits). To get Noxious Bile from this level 1 power, we'd need to add both the Burning & the Ranged Extras - ending up with a level 3 power that inflicts 1 level of Bashing per QP spent, or 1 level of Lethal per 2 QP spent, at a range, & Burning, with the dots in the power indicating both Range & how many QP you're allowed to spend. As you can see - that's a lot less powerful than the suggested Noxious Bile, & is a level 3 power to boot!

We could base it on a Quantum Bolt & just add the Burning Extra & get a slightly more powerful version as a level 3 power.

Another option would be to take the thing as a Body Modification & base it on the rules for Tendril. This way you could have an attack that inflicted, say, Stamina +2 Lethal damage, at a range of 2m per 1 NP / 3 XP, for zero cost, but (since it can't grab things & do all the other stuff a regular Tendril can) also has a Burning effect.

Let's use your brick character as an example, but we'll say he has Mega dex 2 instead of mega wits just so it works for this example  ::tongue

Super heavy armour grants him +2 and Bodymorph grants him +1 total of +3. The +1 benefit from Untouchable is negated, superheavy drops his mega-dex to 0. total remains +3. If you're chacter chooses he needs speed in a certain situation and forgoes superheavy he gets +1 form body morph and +1 form untouchable, total +2.

<<The +1 benefit from Untouchable is negated...>>

If you base it off of Dex (which I agree), but only if the subtraction from Dex comes off the top.

Normally affects that I can control come off the bottom, and affects my opponent controls come off the top.

RE: Bile

Claws also convert Strength damage to lethal, and Conversion has some non-combat uses.

If we try to build this thing off of Q-Bolt+Burning (which is Level 3, yipes)... we... have to subtract lots of damage. We need -10 levels of reduced damage... let's see...

Q=1 1-Dot Q-Bolt + Burning => 4[3] + 1 * 2[2] => Total 16

Q=3 3-Dot Q-Bolt + Burning => 12[9] + 3 * 6[5] => Total 54

Q=5 5-Dot Q-Bolt + Burning => 20[15] + 5 * 10[8] => Total 125

Q=1 1-Dot Bile => 1[1] + 1 * 1 => Total 3

Q=3 3-Dot Bile => 3[3] + 3 * 1[2] => Total 15

Q=5 5-Dot Bile => 5[5] + 5 * 2[3] => Total 40

Hmm.... was my Math right?

Untouchabe...

Ok then let's compare it to Resiliency (not including that it can be purchased twice) which is also a deffensive power, an enhancement which increases in effect based on it's M-attribude, and is permanently active:

Resilliency

M-Stam:1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Benefit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5(B)

""""""""" 1, 1, 2, 2, 3(L)

Untouchable

M-Dex: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Benefit:1, 1, 2, 2, 3

I didn't go for a 1:1 ratio because it helps to keep the power balanced, it does alot but it needs alot for it to be anything other than a nice advantage and not an ability that makes the character truely untouchable. I'm fine with it costing 1 Qpoint per round (not per turn) of combat or 3 perscene.

If you base it off of Dex (which I agree), but only if the subtraction from Dex comes off the top

It does, penalties always come off the mega attribute before the base attribute.

Mental Blast-AG: The standard Aggravated extra suggests a blast type attack, like an energy bolt. In such cases, [Q]+ Success is entirely appropriate. Mental blast inflicts damage on a net success basis. To add Quantum level automatic damage in addition to ripping through psi-sheilds was a little much ( at least in my opinion). What I felt was needed was something that remained mechanically true to Mental Blast, retained the vicious nature of Aggravated damage, but wasn't automatically undefendable.

Mental Blast Lethal: Yes, somewhat weak compared to Aggravated, without house ruling. But aggravated is often Overkill, while Bashing is often ineffective. The midrange lethal works nicely, but would have to have some advantage over the much deadlier aggravated to have any serious use, hence the quantum minimum for aggravated. It may not be "cannon rule" but seems logical enough and not horribly broken.

Bile- As originally intended, Noxious Bile is sort of a package deal. Certainly, one could fiddle with Quantum bolt until the desired effect was acheived, but this was more for those who wanted a nasty bio-attack without having to tweak the hell out Quantum Bolt. I definately like the Body Mod idea, it neatly sidesteps the whole level 1 vs level 2 issue, and can inflict some solid damage with the suggested damage code ( I would add an additional +2 for each level of Mega-Stamina).

Untouchable- Rather than a scaled bonus, perhaps a flat +2 difficulty mod to attacks directed against the nova (that they are aware of) while they are using the full dodge combat option. I see this as being a Spider-man like ability. when dedicated to dodging and avoiding, no one can lay a finger on the guy. When actually on the attack, he becomes far more vulnerable.

You are comparing a couple of points of soak to a couple of increased diff to hit?

The average man (3d) has an average to hit of: 1.2

The average cop (5d) has an average of: 2.0

The average swat cop (7d) has an average of: 2.8

An Olympic Martial Artist (10d) has an average of: 4.0

Totentanz (10d, 5Md) has an average of: 8.5

In addition, they all need at lest one succ to hit.

Ten extra soak and you still need to worry about firearms.

Ten extra diff and you don’t need to worry about Totentanz.

5 extra diff and you don’t need to worry about baselines (don’t try the same with 5 extra soak).

RE: Gravity Shield compared to Untouchable

It is dangerous to take a technique out of it’s suite and say that it must be a level 2 power. Most of the suite powers have a technique that is very powerful, even by itself. For example, Entropy Control’s Bio-Entropic Storm is buildable as a quantum bolt, but with the various strengths and weaknesses you still end up with a level three power. Weather Control’s Alter Weather has a piece of Mastery (i.e. an area of effect measured in km).

Untouchable is an improved version of a very strong technique. It could easily be a level 3 power, but for the sake of argument let’s call it a very strong level 2.

So... what enhancements are the equivalent of strong level 2 powers? I can buy that Crush is more or less equal to Claws (level 1). I can also buy that two levels of extra limbs is more or less equal to one level of Quick. I can’t think of any enhancements that are like Q-Bolt, nor do I think there should be.

A high soak PC is still vunerable to (or must deal with) AGG, Ants (i.e. a hoard of baselines), Disrupt, Drains, attacks while his defenses are down, etc.

More importantly, He was built that way from the ground up. It is an expensive concept, and it isn't always a workable one even when done well. (Witness DMD being brought down by a hoard of Ants).

Untouchable costs 5 exp, and doesn't have to deal with Disrupts, Drains, surprise, Ants, ect. If it were just a better dodge that would be one thing, but although it is defined that way, the mechanics of it don't include things like needing to spend an action or being able to dodge the attack.

Worse, it stacks on any character concept. If DMD had "Untouchable" then those ants wouldn't have beaten him (although the fight would have lasted a long time). If Loadstone had "Untouchable" then he wouldn't have gotten shot by that sniper, or drained by that Leech.

If it is a "must have" for every character, then it is probably too powerful.

On the Mental Blast extras: There's already any Agg extra, and it's just fine the way it is. Some goes for Armor Piercing. As for the Will-Shreading, I'm concerned that it seems too powerful. I mean, even Q-Vampire can't take out Willpower. Willpower's just too important of a character trait to let something as low-level as a regular extra destroy. Personally, I wouldn't let anyone with less than Quantum 6 take an extra like that, at the very least. Just my 2-cents. Oh, yeah, and I agree. Untouchable is really way too powerful. It's like the effect of combining Intuition and Precognition together and just giving you the positive combat effects without all the muss and fuss of spending qps and rolling, and it works even if you're fully drained and tied up. ::blink Gimmie a break. ::wacko

Mental Blast extras: Upon second look, I figure that Armor Piercing as stated works well enough. But I still feel [Q]+success Agg is a little much for something that is only defensible with a Willpower roll. Perhaps Will-Shreader is a bit harsh. A ratio of 2 successes/1 willpower may be more fair. But I like the flavor, as it goes after the one trait that can't be superhumanly enhanced. And losing the added effect of zero Willpower will also balance it a bit more.

Worse, it stacks on any character concept.  If DMD had "Untouchable" then those ants wouldn't have beaten him (although the fight would have lasted a long time).  If Loadstone had "Untouchable" then he wouldn't have gotten shot by that sniper, or drained by that Leech. 

If it is a "must have" for every character, then it is probably too powerful.

Since I don't know if DMD had superheavy armour on I can't say but from what I could tell of Lodestone, he didn't seem any more dexterous than most characters, I'm assuming mega dex 1 or 2 which would have given him a +1 bonus not to get hit. From the amount of damage he took I'm guessing the snipper rolled a fair few successes on the to-hit.

I don't think it is a must have, I see it as an alternate to the Uber beasts out there that can shurg off a 1 ton bomb but can't take on the ants. Invulnerable doesn't protect from things with an area effect since they can't be dogded if you're in the area, but the pc can run amoung a squadron of enemies and be missed.

I don't think it is a must have...
This enhancement would be, BY FAR, more combat effective than any of the existing Mega-Dex enhancements. Its closest cousin would be Accuracy, which requires a full turn of prep.

Basically if you want to be more effective in combat you pretty much have to get Mega-Dex at some point. And this enhancement is so much better than everything else out there that you can expect everyone to take it. (I know I would have).

Since I don't know if DMD had superheavy armour on I can't say but from what I could tell of Lodestone, he didn't seem any more dexterous than most characters, I'm assuming mega dex 1 or 2 which would have given him a +1 bonus not to get hit. From the amount of damage he took I'm guessing the snipper rolled a fair few successes on the to-hit.
DMD has only his natural Bodymorph +1 diff. He was fighting a group of baselines who each presumably have 8 dice to hit. He was using cover (by hefting a tank around amoung other things). An additional +1 Diff would have been HUGE.

It would have changed the baseline's average attack roll from either 1.2 (i.e. the average is a hit) to about 0.2 (i.e. the average is a miss), or, if my cover was better, a 0.2 would be a -0.8. In either case it might have been possible to prolong the fight to the point where the individual soliders ran out of ammo.

Loadstone's big defense at the time was Magnetic Shield. It doesn't give soak but instead applies diff to hit. It was already very difficult for a baseline to hit him. Again, an extra +1 would have been huge.

I don't want to see Totentanz with an extra +3 diff to hit him.

I seem to have lost a post, lucky I typed it in word...

As much as I’d like to, I just can’t simply drop Untouchable from my “list o’ toys” so I’ve gone for a new mechanic entirely for it.

At the costs of one Quantum point, per combat round, the character receives 2 extra dice on any dodge roll, in addition his penalties for dodging in a multiple action are reduced by one, at Mega-Dexterity 3 the penalty is reduced by two. The power only works against perceived threats.

This allows for the “run in” effect I’m after, keeping it cheap and granting a bonus at Mega-Dexterity 3 keeps it powerful enough for me to be happy with it.

At the costs of one Quantum point, per combat round, the character receives 2 extra dice on any dodge roll, in addition his penalties for dodging in a multiple action are reduced by one, at Mega-Dexterity 3 the penalty is reduced by two. The power only works against perceived threats.

This allows for the “run in” effect I’m after, keeping it cheap and granting a bonus at Mega-Dexterity 3 keeps it powerful enough for me to be happy with it.

Much much better. ::biggrin

I still feel [Q]+success Agg is a little much for something that is only defensible with a Willpower roll.
Generic Psi-Shield still helps against M-Blast+Agg since it grants 2 auto-willpower succ. In conjuction with Hardbody Psi-Shield would still reduce damage by 4 levels per dot.

Another way of looking at it is everyone has willpower, so everyone has some defense against it (and everyone can and should spend a point of willpower on this one).

But I still feel [Q]+success Agg is a little much for something that is only defensible with a Willpower roll.

The Impervious extra with Psychic Shield allows the nova to defend against both the Armor-Piercing and the Aggravated extra. Besides which without either Impervious with a defensive power, or Hardbody, novas can't physically resist Agg damage at all. Doesn't make sense for them to resist mental Agg damage any better. ::confused

I don't think that Armor Piercing would do a lot for Mind-Blast.

First) A.P. reduces SOAK, not defenses. The only thing that gives mental soak is Psi-Shield (even Invulnerability only gives willpower succ) so the only thing it would work on is HALF of Psi-Shields defense (since it's auto succ would still work).

Second) Armor Piercing uses "To Hit" succ in it's calculation (My book isn't in front of me). Mind-Blast never gets any.

• 1 month later...

Got some home brew enhancements that need tweaking..

(Mega-Stamina)- A enhancement that adds +2 difficulty to attacks staged against the Nova, due to the nova's dense tissue. (operates much like the Super-Heavy extra for Armor).

(Mega-Stamina)- A enhancement that reduces bashing damage taken by the Nova by 1/2 (after soak). Much like the undead bashing rules from Vampire.

(Mega-Social)- A enhancement that makes the victim "Addicted" to the Nova with the enhancement.

These are just rough idea's, any ways to flesh them out is appreciated.

(Mega-Stamina)- A enhancement that adds +2 difficulty to attacks staged against the Nova, due to the nova's dense tissue. (operates much like the Super-Heavy extra for Armor).

Man of Steel (Mega-STA)

This reflexive enhancement triggers instanteous changes in the character's body that provide a defelection penalty to incoming attacks.

System: The Nova's body automatically alters itself instantly at impact points by becoming inhumanly dense and somewhat angular. This allows for a +1 deflection difficulty penalty to incoming physical (non-energy) attacks.

A second level of this enhancement increases the deflection penalty to +2. This enhancement is ineffective against AP attacks unless the Nova also posses the Hardbody enhancement, at which time the two enhancements resonate to duplicate the effects of the Impervious extra.

The changes in the Nova's body made by this enhancement fade instantly after the attack is resolved. The enhancement is always active and costs no quantum to use.

(Mega-Stamina)- A enhancement that reduces bashing damage taken by the Nova by 1/2 (after soak). Much like the undead bashing rules from Vampire.

Punching Bag (Mega-STA)

Your body effortlessly soaks up damage like a boxer's heavy bag.

System: The Nova's skin, muscle, bones and connective tissues (along with internal organs) posses increased flexibility and form memory. These changes allow them some ability to resist stretching, compression and twisting in unnatural and damaging ways, shifting back to normal automatically. This reduces all blunt trauma bashing attacks by 1/2 damage after soak. This enhancement is effective on blunt based physical or energy attacks, but does not affect cutting, piercing or other based attacks.

A second level of this enhancement will reduce all blunt trauma lethal attacks by 1/4 damage after soak. The enhancement is always active and costs no quantum to use.

Hope you like 'em. ::smiley5

I don't think that Armor Piercing would do a lot for Mind-Blast.

I agree, but Burning is another story.

Add the Burning extra to Mental Blast and you've got something nasty. Its also easy to justify as reverberating mental shockwavesand gaping mental wounds. Mental trauma is a real thing, inflicted by and accelerated by a Nova's Mental Blast it could be devastating or even lethal.

Narcotic Persona (M-Cha):

Anything thing that is pleasurable is addictive.The Nova with this enhancement engenders a sense of well being so potent that those they interact with can become literally addicted to their presence.

System: To invoke this enhancement, the Nova must spend at least a hours worth of pleasant company with the target. The Nova then spends 1 Quantum and rolls Charisma+Mega-Charisma againt the targets Willpower. If successful, the target becomes addicted to being around the Nova for a number of Days equal to the Nova's total dots in Charisma+Mega-Charisma. A subject so effected loses 1 die from all pools for each day they go without interacting with the Nova for at least a hour. This of course allows the Nova to re-apply their addictive charm. The subject also suffers a +1 difficulty on any action that may endanger their ability to get a "fix".

• 2 months later...

Ok...I have had a flash of inspiration...I need imput about this one! This is the Alpha version so I kept it pretty basic. I give you...

Flight Aura

Level: 3

Q Minimum: 4

Dice Pool: Dexterity+Flight Aura

Range: Self

Duration: Maintenance

Effect: Makes an energy aura that enables flight.

Multiple Actions: Flight

Description:

The being who possesses this rare ability is ably to create an aura of energy around himself that enables him to fly! The downsides of this are that you *cannot* turn off the damaging aura, meaning that you cant carry someone without damaging them and you cant land on something without damaging it.

When you take this ability you gain these powers:

-Flight at (power rating*2)+20 MPH in combat, (40*power rating) out of combat.

-A Protecting Aura that provides Quantum+(Stm+power rating successes) extra soak from bashing and lethal damage.

-A Damaging Aura that does Quantum+(power rating successes) lethal damage to anything you touch.

EXTRAS:

Rocket flight (Flight Speed becomes (power rating*20)+500 MPH but you cant go any speed in between 0 and max speed. This is all or nothing.) Incinerating Aura (Flight speed lowers to (power rating)+10 MPH, but all soak from this power is doubled and damage becomes Quantumx2+(Stm+power rating).)

Finally got the almost done power done...

Fireball Flight

Level: 2

Q Minimum: 2

Dice Pool: Dexterity+Flight Aura

Effect: Makes an energy aura that enables flight.

Multiple Actions: no

Description:

You can make a aura around your body that will protect you as well as cause extra damage to anything that hits you (or you hit) while you are flying.

There are 3 parts to this power. The first is a protecting aura which provides Quantum + (2/success) extra soak versus bashing and lethal damage.

The second part to this power allows you to fly at (power rating*4) + 40 meters per action in combat and (Quantum + Flight) * 50 KPH out of combat. All rules to this are the same as flight.

The final part of this power is the aura of energy that you emit that does either Quantum + (power rating*3) dice of bashing damage or Quantum + (power rating*2) dice of lethal damage whenever you touch some one or something or when they (or it) touches you.

Here is a list of what happens in a nutshell (for people who don't want to read what I have above):

-Take a turn out with *no* other actions

-(power rating*4)+40 meters per action in combat and (Quantum+Flight)*50 KPH out of combat

-Quantum + (2/success) extra soak versus bashing and lethal damage.

-Damaging Aura that does Quantum + (power rating*3) dice of bashing damage or Quantum + (power rating*2) dice of lethal damage

EXTRAS:

Variable (May switch element type between two different elements), Aggravated (damaging aura does (power level) aggravated damage), Rocket flight (Flight speed doubles, but you cant go any speed in between 0 and max speed. This is all or nothing.)

EXPLANATION:

When you look at this power, I know your thinking "Man...this is massive!" Yes...this is a good power, a very good power for the price. I just wanted to explain how I *got* this cost here. I used the "Mark of: Customization" rules for this. I took the powers of flight, force field and Immolate and gave them all a 2 level 4 weaknesses of being linked to each other. That is a total of 8 weakness points. Now I do realize that this can cause a problem if they are left as separate powers...for 3 NP or 5 (?, basing this off of the point difference between M-stat enhancements) XP you can take an extra for each of the three powers. Add that to quantum of 6 and you have someone who has 3 mastered powers and can activate these for *no* cost (they are still level one powers after all).

I can see three ways of offsetting this (both cost and power wise). One, don't use the mark of: customization rules and make this a level three power with a quantum minimum of 4 (or 5). Two, make this a suite type power with only 3 sub abilities to choose from (that activate simotanious hopefully). Or three, smack the person who wants to use it with a newspaper and say "No! Bad munchkin!" Its really up to you...

I can see three ways of offsetting this (both cost and power wise). One, don't use the mark of: customization rules and make this a level three power with a quantum minimum of 4 (or 5). Two, make this a suite type power with only 3 sub abilities to choose from (that activate simotanious hopefully). Or three, smack the person who wants to use it with a newspaper and say "No! Bad munchkin!" Its really up to you...

It's amazing how much life can be improved with a rolled up newspaper... or a chainsaw.

• 4 months later...

New Extra: Disruption Resistant:

This Extra makes it much,much harder to Disrupt the Power in question.

System: Subtract half of the Disrupt successes against the Power with this Extra. Simple as that. This is a rough draft. An alternate may be Add + 3 Successes to resist Disrupt for the Power with this Extra.

This is really important when you don't want your Force Field to drop as you face a bad fight......

• 2 weeks later...

there are tons of powers listed at NPrime

they also have a bunch of Enhancements NPrime

also, i made somthing for one of my player's who wanted some kind of 'war form.'

so my answer was a power that runs along the lines of Bodymorph, but works for MAttributes; i give you:

Better Body

Level: 2

Quantum Minimum: 3; Boost 1+

Dice Pool: Stamina + Better Body

Effect: Allows the character to add 2 Attribute dots to any one of their 9 normal

Attributes; or 1 Mega-Attribute dot per dot in this power.

Multiple Actions: N/A

This potent quantum power allows the nova to enhance thier already admirable attributes. The player chooses which attribute catagory this power affects (Physical, Mental, or Social); after that, for every dot in Better Body, the player gets two dots to distribute into any of the corresponding attributes, and upon raising an attribute to 5, they may gain one Mega-Attribute dot in the corresponding attribute (any extra dots are lost). Alternatively, each dot can be exchanged for a Body Enhancement.

Extras: Full power - the player may gain dots in any of the attribute catagories; Potency - the character gains two Mega-Attribute dots instead of one per dot in Better Body.

I like your idea there, but There are a couple of things I want to point out...

First is first:

Allows the character to add 2 Attribute dots to

You need to finish that sentence.

Second: Can this go to any of the three? If you have Better Body at 3 dots (I assume) you get 6 dots to distribute. Do these go to where you want each time? (ex. Do you have to initially buy them and are not allowed to change each time you use it? or can you change distributation each time?).

Third: This seems aweful powerful and extremely versitle. I would make it a lvl 3 power, especially since it can give you Mega-stats. Heck...I would put a cap of m-stat 3~5 on it just so its not abused. Also...this is an advanced form of boost (a lvl 2 power). Why take more then boost one if you get this? It would be useless.

Another consideration: How about making it to all stats, with a mega-stat extra. Lvl 3 power. You can distribute dots to where-ever, but you cant get mega-dots without the extra.

Too much like Boost, and much, much, too powerful.

Example: Joe has 5 dots with Full Power. He also has all normal stats. (Easy to do for 30 points).

For a trival cost, he has Mega-Stat 5 in ANY mega stat on demand.

For combat, get Mega-Stam 5 when rolling Force Field, switch it to Strength after that, switch it to Dex if you want to run.

Leave it normally on Perception to avoid ambushes, switch it to Int or Wits to solve problems, switch it to Appearence to impress the girls, switch it to Manipulation to get out of trouble.

It's like having Mega-Stat 5 in all Stats.

Though I've always felt Boost was alittle weak, I have to agree with Alex that the way you have Better Body written is indeed too powerful. As it is I'd say the power is a level 3, mainly because it can increase the stats for more than one selected atrribute and the dicepool for Better Body is a roll that allows for Mega attribute dice to be used, making it too easy to get the maximum effect. Had the roll been Quantum + Better Body (same as Boost) then the 2 dots per success increase would be more reasonable.

I would tend to agree about making it Quantum+Better body for the dice pool.

The Q min seems ok for this power, even if you make it a lvl 3 power.

Another consideration...

If you can get M-atts from this...do you get access to an enhancement? I would think (and hope) not...but its something you need to include before you playtesst it.

Boost is a speciality, it is not weak, it just isn't useful for every character.  It is very easy to build a character around it who is insanely strong for the few rounds that combat takes.

Exactly my point, it's only worth taking either at character generation so you can start off with more than one level in it, or in game once your pc has developed a high enough qauntum score (I'd say 4 minimum) so that you have a chance of getting at least one success when you activate it...

But that's enough of that I think, Alex you and I tend to take this thread pretty seriously, can we just agree to disagree before the minimum 4 page argument happens? ::wink

New Power:

Disruption Shield.

Level: 1

Quantum Minimum:1

Duration: Constant

Range: Personal

Quantum Cost: 0

Description: This Power allows the Nova who possesses this to more strongly resist the Disrupt Power of others.

System:Adds it's DOT value to the strength of any Powers being affected by Disrupt. Simple.

What do you think? ::biggrin

Not really that weak, it does increase the power level for purposes of disrupt, essentailly it's an increased diff vs. disrupt per dot purchased.

Edit: Just re-read the disrupt system, Distruption Shield is fine the way it's written, ignore my post about it only working for a single selected power, forgot how nastyy Disrupt actually is.

Archived