Aberrant: Stargate Universe - SG 23: Mission to Neone (P6X-098)

Mr Fox

Yseult frowned at the plaque proclaiming the "University of the People". She reviewed the map from the phonebook in her head; she was sure this was the right place, then she let out a soft snort. There cannot be two colleges within that short of a distance.

"The Jaffa overseers, it seems they are engaging in some social reformation, yes? Trying to descredit, or at least erase the people of Neone's persons of note. Bah!"

Yseult peered at the darkened windows of the main campus building, then glanced at the activity down the street. "I believe there are two options for us right now. We can try to find a way into the registrar's office and try to located Durma from the files on students and professors. Or, perhaps, we can stay here, and Omar, you can ask the gentlemen down the street there, if they know where you can find Durma, pretending it is an official matter."

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"That might be a bar, library or a lab of some kind." Omar responded. "If those people are part of the underground, my queries will yield nothing as long as I am still in this uniform." Omar would wait until he was closer before deciding to keep the uniform or change into local dress fashion.

"I suggest that we approach and find out who they are and what the building is. Depending on who they are, I will keep this uniform or change it." A simple backpack appeared on Omar's back. In it he put his weapons. "I'd recommend that the rest of you find some way to keep the weapons hidden. They may take us straight to Durna if they don't feel threatened. If they turn out to be hostiles we can take them out and do this world a favor."

As the group moved closer the door opened and the sounds of music and laughter spilled out of the door. Seems this is come kind of bar or club. With Omar's change of clothes to more match the locals, they were friendly as the visible trio approached.

"Hail friends! Welcome to the Quardny College where the real breakthroughs are made. Come in and join the discussions."

Yseult stiffened when they came upon the bar. She hadn't been to a campus bar in near fifteen years, yet this one on another planet felt the same as any of the others she had been to. Further, the last time she had been to a university, she had had two doctorates to her name; now, to her disgruntlement, the locals were eyeing the beautiful blonde, who didn't look old enough to have earned any degree yet. This face, I am getting used to, but I keep forgetting how young I look now.

"Why, thank you for your welcome," Yseult said, doing her best to summon up an engaging smile. "Please tell us, what big breakthroughs you are working on at the moment."

The young man chuckled. "Well, depends on your branch of study. Down on the common floor I think you won't find all that many break throughs, but if you head to the back you will find scientists discussing some astronomical problem or something about the nature of the universe. Upstairs you will find the philosophers no doubt also discussing the nature of the universe, but in much less mathematical terms." Pointing to the right, "In side and in the right-hand corner are the artists arguing about beauty and such."

One of his slightly older companion's eyed Yseult and looked about to make a pass at her but then looked at Omar's size and proximity and decided against and instead laughed and said, "Pick you poison, and you'll find someone arguing about it in there at some time or other."

"Well met." Omar shook the man's hand with a wide smile.

Omar listened to the man explain the various debates going on in the place. Either Durma was here in one of the debate rooms, or there was someone here who knew.

"I am a student of history myself, "Omar replied to the young man. "I'd love to get involved in discussions about the rise and fall of political movements, societal evolution and cultural revolutions?" It was a gamble, but Omar hoped it might lead them towards Durma. "By the way, it has been a few years since I've been here, but is Durma still teaching?"

Ryan waited to hear an answer, not heaing a single subject he felt comfortable conversing with others in a College about. How to survive in the woods with nothing but a knife or less, or Military tactics and strategy, those he could debate with the best of them.

The man practically beamed at Omar. "I too am a student of History! It is what I have come to study. Perhaps we can discuss the rise of the Union of Untaumb sometimes, that is my favorite period. I'd even buy you a drink."

He considered the question for a moment before finishing, "Durma was in the sciences, I never had one of his teachings before he left. I know he isn't teaching right now. I was lucky enough to finish my science lessons before he returned." He grinned and leaned a little closer, "He had a reputation for being ruthless with his students if they didn't study. I've heard the horror stories of friends who were held back an entire cycle for not pleasing him." He chuckled and ended, "But I expect he'll be teaching again next cycle now that he is back. I saw him earlier this night inside, but I don't know what circle he may have joined for the evening. He seems to engage in all the debates since his return."

Omar had no idea what the 'Union of Untaumb' was, but he knew that if it came down to a discussion, it would be obvious that Omar had little understanding of Neone's history. Before Omar found himself on the wrong end of a discussion, the young man turnd the topic ina direction that gave Omar an Opening.

"I would enjoy that, though right now, I need to speak with Durma." Omar returned the smile. "I have been trying to reach him for some time, but he has not returned my messages."

"I'll just have to pester him during one of his debates." Omar chuckled. That Durma was such a hard-ass as a teacher was surprising. All Omar saw was the skinny old man they had rescued a month earlier.

The young man smiled broadly in return. "I understand, but if you come back tomorrow then I will buy you a drink and you can give my your opinion on the Union and what happened to cause the first breaking. Everyone has an opinion and I always find it fascinating to hear others views on it." It went unsaid that the man wanted a chance to share his own views, he seemed to be the type to like the sound of his own voice.

He did not hinder the groups progress into the bar any further however. Inside it was about what you would expect from a college bar if that college happened to be Cambridge or Oxford. Lots of drinking going on but the people seemed to be very interested in conversation, perhaps as much as the drinking. The main room had several 'discussions' going on with groups of people gathered around a table where one or two or three people were debating different subjects. Moving around the room looking for Durma it was pretty evident that the debates down here while about university life were more about things that wouldn't interest the SGC. It took several minutes to scout the entire room which turned up nothing. Moving to the stairs in the back the group found that it was hard to get through the crowd, but Omar's size and ability to easily shoulder people aside when needed did the trick. On the second floor the building was divided into various rooms. Yseult recognized the concept as being much like the old Salon's in Europe from past centuries.

The third room on the left from the stairs was where Durma was found. He was talking to the people in the room in quiet tones and they were all intently listening. He was greatly changed from when SG23 had seen him last. Instead of the cowed slave he was standing tall and straight backed with pride in his stance.

As he saw the trio enter the room he instantly ceased talking in suspicion, but then recognizing Omar and Hawke he broke into a beaming grin and clapped his hands in delight. "Welcome my friends. I knew you would come!" To the men and women in the chamber he said, "These are the people I spoke of who rescued us from the hands of the slave masters. They have courage the likes of which are only in old tales and stories."

To the group he smiled again and gestured toward his own seat, "Come sit in the place of honor and we can discuss matters."

"C'est - It is a pleasure to meet you Durma," Yseult said with a smile, unaware of how warm it looked. "Coming here, I did not what to expect. I am surprised and pleased. Let us hear what we can do to help you."

Privately, Yseult began to feel a twinge of concern, hoping that Durma hadn't promised his compatriots something that was beyond 23's ability to deliver.

Omar stides towards Durma and gives the man a hearthy handshake. "It is good to see you again. I can see that you have returned to your former self."

Omar releases his hand. "But we didn't come here to discuss the Union of Untaumb." Omar looks at the assembled people and then back at Durmma.

"I hope we are among allies?"

Durma grinned at the mention of one of the most significant periods of his world's history then said, "I believe everyone here is an ally. They all know that our government is no long ruled by our people but by a handful of outsiders pretending to legal authority."

One of the other more mature men of the circle cleared his throat, "We know it, but don't be fooled into thinking that the people will rise in a popular revolt. Most aren't even aware that Trofsky isn't a native of our world and think he was legally appointed by the former first minister. And look to our history, the big fellow there just mentioned the Union, and the Union's example is proof enough that the people will put up with a great deal if there is security and enough to eat. We are in the middle of one of the most prosperous periods our people have ever known. The majority of the people might just as easily defend the Jaffa as want to depose him."

"The question then, since these Jaffa have no connection to another master, yes? If they have no other master, and people are happy, do you want to depose them?" Yseult looked around the salon, watching how people were reacting. She did not mean to offend them, but she did not know all the circumstances of the situation yet.

"I will admit, we do not know everything that is happening. I have seen that the name of this college has been changed. Is Trofsky changing other aspects of your culture as well, perhaps leading your people in another direction surreptitiously?" Yseult's odd, turquoise eyes were direct, honestly desiring to know what was happening.

All the men in the circle looked confused at her statement about the name of the college being changed, but none of them looked offended by her words.

It was Durma that spoke, "Would you allow Hathor to step through your stargate and take over your world's government then hand the rule over to one of her minions with no say in the matter? The problem is that most people don't know of the change of regime, they think Trofksy is just one of us." He became more heated as he spoke. "I've seen Hathor's jaffa in action as one of their slaves. Mark my words it is only a matter of time before things change here and Trofsky starts becoming more overt in his actions."

It was worse than Ryan Feared. They were being asked to essentially tear down the government of this world. He'd expected conditions to be much worse and the decision to be easy. As it stood he like Yesult was curious as to whether they should intervene.

"How many Jaffa remain?"

A furrow appearance between Yseult's fine brows as she saw the men's confusion regarding her statement about the college. "I am sorry if I misunderstood. The phonebook, it lists this as Quardny College, yet the plaque near the main building, it says University of the People, I had thought..."

Yseult gave Durma a sharp nod of understanding as he continued. "I too would not like to be under the sway of a government that I did not choose," Yseult said, a trace of bitterness in her accented soprano.

"Do you believe that there are any recordings or other proof of Trofsky's involvement with Hathor or other System Lords? I do not know how security conscious your government was or is, or what security measures they have for federal buildings. Also, do any reason to believe that Trofksy is getting involved with another System Lord or Jaffa? Perhaps we can disrupt those plans, or make them public to the people."

Noah waited patiently outside, his eyes and ears alert for any sign of danger or trouble. He was still camoflagued and had ducked into a corner where he could see the street clearly but he himself would be impossible to spot and there would be no chance of pedestrians accidentaly bumping in to him.

Click to reveal..
Alertness + Perception roll

1d10=1, 1d10=9, 1d10=3, 1d10=4

1 Success

"Hmm... let me see. Trofsky and his personal guard are all jaffa, that would be about 10, plus there are another maybe fifty total that he has placed in key positions such as chief of civil enforcement and other important departments. So you see we can't just remove the head from the snake because then we'd have a dozen others trying to step up and seize power at the same time." Durma frowned but look determined.

One of the other men listening to Yseult chuckled and said, "I'm sorry dear but you were mistaken. The University has always had that name. This particular building is called Quardny College, which is kind of a joke as you can see. It's not really part of the university at all, but in a way it is the very soul of the place. I honestly think more discoveries and breakthroughs have been made in this building than any other in the university." He grinned and continued, "But to answer your question, no I doubt that Hathor or Trofsky would allow themselves to be recorded as they took over our government."

____

Outside Noah continued his patrol sweep but only noticed a trio of gentlemen standing on one of the street corners discussing something.

((Noah, please make another roll as you continue your sweep.))

Omar listened intently, hoping for an opportunity to present itself. When it did, he jumped into the conversation.

"Are there any times when Hathor, Trofsky and the rest in power, meet? A convention of sorts? If we could catch them assembled in one place, we might be able to strike a crippling blow."

Durma considered for a moment, "Short of recording Trofsky saying something very damaging I doubt it, and as I said recording devices are large and bulky, there's no way we'd be able to get one into his offices unnoticed." He made a gesture with his hands to indicate the size of the recorders, apparently about a foot and a half long by a foot high by his gestures. From the looks of things technology was at a level equivalent to the 1930's on earth. Although Durma and his fellow slaves would have become familiar with advanced technology when they were taken away, they weren't able to bring any back with them.

One of the other men harumphed. "The people wouldn't revolt even if Trofsky questioned their mother's moral conduct and suggested that they were all illegitimate. I tell you that won't change until it is too late. If change is to be had, then it is up to us to make that change. We aren't after overthrowing the government, all we need do is remove the snake from within. Certainly there will be some chaos, but we can easily call for a new Appointment to be held and few people will ever take notice there was a change."

Yseult listened attentively, digesting what was being said. She was slightly disappointed to hear about the state of Neone's technological development, but was impressed by the character of these rogue scholars.

"Omar, baring a clone of some sort, Hathor is dead. But you do bring up a good point." Yseult turned back to the patriotic intellectuals, her eyes bright and discerning. "Do Trofsky and the rest of the Jaffa ever all gather for certain government fucntions or other events? Or is there a crisis or other problem that you know that will cause them to gather together?"

"Damn." He looks to his teammates. "This isn't going to be easy at all."

"Are there any particulary important postistions that must be filled, a Top five in the power structure? Sort of "First amongst Equals? Or does Trofsky rule alone over forty princes my another name?"

Omar thought about what Durma said and had an idea. It was neither original, nor new.

"We could conduct a war of information." Omar said, his eyes lighting up. "Propaganda and lies, with a smattering of truth."

"If we poke at the hornets' nest enough times, they will come out." It was an old parable, but apt for this situation. "If anything, Trofsky might want to meet the person who has been a thorn in his side. At that point, it is simply a matter of cutting the snakes head off. Lt. Weston can trail them, so we know where he's being taken."

Responding first to Hawke, "Trofsky himself as first minister of course, then I suppose the heads of the Patrol and Enforcement groups. They both have control of armed men so they would be most important. Below them in importance would probably be City services, and Health, both of those groups have many many people working under them and taking orders although their people wouldn't be armed."

Looking at Omar the man shook his head, "Trofsky controls the media. I suppose you should add Minister of Information to the list of important targets, until we strike there's no way to wage a war of information as you called it."

"I was not talking about using the existing media." Omar said to the older man. "We make our own."

"If we can print material that is a threat to the current leadership, they might try and stop us, or at least take the 'publishers' into custody." Omar had a gleam in his eye. "Trofsky might just want to punish that person or person's personally. When he does, we strike at him and his erstwhile lackeys."

"This assumes that there is a means to disseminate the information. A printing press, radio or other medium."

"Hmmmm... I'm not sure how likely it is that Trofsky would want to personally deal with a group of insurgents, Omar," Yseult said, her expression questioning. "The Goa'uld, they are arrogant enough to act in such a manner. But the Jaffa, some act like their masters, and others, they possess a more pragmatic cunning."

"That said, if we can get a hold of Trofsky himself, we may be able to compel him to summon the others, or send out orders that would be for the benefit of Neone, rather than themselves and the Goa'uld."

Yseult turned to back to the Neonites, with more questions. "Does Trofsky have a standard schedule or residence that is known? Does Trofsky go about his business with a large contigent of security?"

Yseult's voice dropped, speaking almost to herself. "I wonder what the possiblity of negotiating with Trofsky is? He may be contolling Neone simply because that was the last thing he was commanded to do. With no master, would he be willing to join Teal'c and the free Jaffa resisting the Goa'uld? He may even be compelled through the use of Nish'ta. Hathor was fond of that compound, it allowed her to steal the loyalties of Jaffa belonging to other System Lords. If that is the case, it is possible to break the hold that Hathor may have on these Jaffa from beyond the grave."

"One of the men who had not spoken up before, a large fellow with a perpetual frown cleared his throat. I don't think this Trofsky would willingly give up a position as the ruler of a world just because his former master was dead. Now that he has a taste of power I think he will keep it."

Looking to Omar, "I think you are trying to complicate matters beyond where they need to be. Let us simply kill Trofsky. Walk in and point a weapon at him and pull the trigger. He does have s standard schedule. We would have to get past his guards, but I think that can be done."

Durma frowned at the discussion of cold blooded murder, but reluctantly nodded. "I don't like it, but our friend here might be right."

"If you think striking the head from the snake will give you back your world, We can help you. Our Mission was recon and asessment, with that proviso."

Ryan's face was grim as he spoke. "I'll need schedules for the five most important Jaffa, every bit of information you can provide."

The look in his eyes told his teammates he wasn't really fond of this idea, but if these people could take advantage of it, then he'd give them their chance.

He looks to Yesult and Omar. "I want lethal and nonlethal plans. It's easy to kill them, but they may know something we don't. Best to be safe."

"If all we have to do is get past his guards, then there should be no problem." Omar gave a slight nod to Ryan, then he turned to the man who had spoke. "It would be nice to know how many we would be going up against when we did attack."

The large man spoke up again, "I've already got their schedules, and Trofsky has 10 personal body guards. Should be at least five with him at all times, but he never goes far from the others. I will go with you if you wish. I know the building well, I can lead you in the back ways."

"Ok we get in we take him down. Then the others all beef up security to levels we simply can't get past. Let's thing this through a little bit more. We need mto take off multiple heads of the Hydra at once and in such a way that ensures their cronies don't just step right in to fill their shoes."

"Ryan, if we are very stealthy, we may be able to subdue him with our Zat'nik'tels, without the others being aware of it." She looked at her leader and then Omar and back. "We may then be able to... pressure Trofsky into calling some of the other important Jaffa to us, perhaps by offering leniency, exile to an unihabited planet, perhaps? The lack of sophisticated communications can work in our favour, this way."

The big man nodded in agreement with Hawke but then looked thoughtful as Yseult spoke. "But what if they have some of the technology that Durma has told us of that allows them to communicate without using this worlds communication systems? Otherwise I think the lovely lady has a point and I think Trofsky might make a deal of some kind if he knows there is no escape."

Yseult nodded to the big man, acknowledging his point. "You sir, you are quite right, goa'uld communications are deviously hard to disrupt. The best solution I can suggest with our limited resources is, if I can get reasonbly close to him, without him being concerned or aware of my presence, I may be able to relieve him of his communication device before he can use it. Provided I can get a look at it before he can use it."

"Would it be possible to get some garments of a local fashion? It would be much easier to be circumpsect with such."

Archived