general superperson game question.

Asche

Has any one in here played DC heroes and Marvel superheroes?

I am wondering this because I am seriously thinking of running kind of a play test game on my game site with one or the other of those rule systems. I have played MSH but never DC. both are rather limited in their own scopes for various reasons but with some adjustment... Well its a long story and All I really wanted to ask was what those of you that played DC thought about it as compared to Aberrant?

What were the average power levels in the games you played? etc.. Did you like the mechanics?

I've played and run Marvel Superheroes and find it an easy to learn, fun system.

You MUST have the Ultimate Powers book to be able to play properly though.

It's next to impossible for people to die, so the 'lose all Karma' rule for killing people isn't too outrageous. The rules for advancement though really really restrict you. It's almost imposible to buy up powers or new powers so Power Stunts are the only way to go. Kind of depressing if you're a brick.

I'd suggest for player sanity to allow characters built on points as opposed to random chance. Nothing more annoying than getting stuck with the Centaur with two powers and your buddy is playing the Demigod with 8 powers and a bump in all stats.

I have only played DC once and that was over a decade ago, but I don't think I liked it that much. Marvel Super Heroes on the other hand is great. I agree with everything that Lemmy said. I actually prefer the power stunt rules as well as the minimal advancement over Aberrants advancements. If you don't have the Ultimate powers book, I have an extra I can give ya.

I haven't played SAS, but E pimps it about as much as I do MSH, so I should try it at some point in time.

Ugh... oh man. There I go again. Many apologies. Sorry, I had a bad weekend.

Anyways, I should at the very least look at M&M on my next game shop trip if I can find a copy. I should reccomend that you guys also take a look at BESM D20. I hear Guardians of Order told WotC to take down their pants and take all of their love. Best D20 variant EVER. (Not to mention D20 Mecha is the bees knees.)

But, don't let that detract ya from checking out Silver Age Sentinels in TriStat d10 format. (Or even using TriStat dX to your heart's content. And it's FREE! ^.^)

• 3 months later...

As a side-note, the publishers of SaS have recently procured the rights to the Amber Diceless Role Playing Game. Don't know if any of you play, but I'd run a Amber game for almost 10 years. They plan on expanding support and marketing for the game, and to me that's good news.

Stonewall

Keep in mind there have been no fewer than four Marvel games, and at least two (or is it 3) DC games so far, and they often have VERY different rules from each other. I've played two-and-a-half of the Marvel ones, and one of the (older) DC versions. I'm not sure how the newest Marvel compares to the newest DC.

I'm playing around with Mutants and Masterminds, and it is by far the simplest viable system I've seen, but I haven't tried SAS yet. Marvel Super Heroes Adventure Game is even simpler, but I don't consider it a viable system for a table top game (though I do use a variant for pbem games). I'm basically doing an Aberrant table top game using Mutants and Masterminds now, and it works well so far.

M&M RULES!!!!!

The extra/flaw system alone kicks muy buttocks.

It is capable of some heinous problems, like any system, if the GM makes too generous of an interpretation for various powers.

I also love the fact that it's point based.

Archived