Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): In the Shadows of the City - Chapter 2 Session 3c Fight the Good Fight

"But...Kaori! He's too...nngh...heavy! Come back! I'll work harder but right now I can't..."

On realizing Kaori's not answering and may not even be there anymore, Keiko moans in despair and stops wiggling and fighting. Abruptly she clenches her fists.

"I won't give up!"

She tries to lift her legs this time, hoping to dislodge Kenichi from the feet up, until enough of him is off of her that she can move again!

(Using 20 ep to add 2 to a Body roll...though I can't roll from work. Hee! Feel free to roll for me though!)

Through sheer force of will, Keiko manages to roll Kenichi off of herself and rise to her feet. Two of the the tenders to the shrine take him up between them and bring him inside, Her grandfather smiling. "Come in all of you, it looks as though your evening has been interesting to say the least. Tell me of it, and I will see if there is anything an Old Man can do to help." He turns to go back inside, giving the others the choice to follow him or not.

She watched as Kieko pushed the behemoth of a man off her and grinned slightly. She had won a victory for herself of that the onna bugeisha was certain while watching the petite girl get to her feet. Kaori could've helped her, but for what? Keiko has the skill, the power, and the certainly the ability to do it her self, so there was no need for Kaori to assist her. Why steal from her that victory? Why cheapen Keiko's own experiences by always running to her aid? She'd succeeded on her own, and could take that knowledge to conquer larger tasks in hr life.

Warm tea sounded good, but standing in the chilly night in shredded clothing and blood soaked support took priority. "Allow me to wash a bit and change my clothes," she said to the Old Man. "I will join everyone shortly."

While Kenichi was settled into a room and Kaori cleaned herself and changed, tea was made for the others as Keiko's grandfather sat down with them.

"So tell me what has happened. I take it you did not have a regular run in with run of the mill hounds this evening."

Keiko does follow him in, and sits down to gratefully sip at the tea. Her hands still shake slightly as she lifts the cup to her lips.

"This time demon lords came for us, with the fire breathing dogs...the cerebrus. A lot of them."

She looks around at the others.

"Kenichi killed one of the lords, but he got hurt, almost killed. I healed him and tried to keep the cerebrus away while everyone fought. Then Kenichi...changed. The demons all left, and Kenichi ran off. I followed him here."

Abruptly Keiko stiffens, nearly drops her tea.

"Where are the others?! What if the demon lords went after them too?!"

Steam filled the room as water rushed loudly, crashing to the floor and spiraling away into the drain in the center of the comfortable chamber. With graceful steps the room's occupant stood in place, turning about to allow the falling water to soak her from above while she pulled her hair back off her shoulders until it was drenched and hung heavy down the curvature of her spine.

Kaori was several facets of what a woman could be, yet rarely did most balance them all so well: powerfully toned, fit and healthy but also a vision of beauty and femininity. Soapy hands ran across her warm ivory skin, slowly across her voluptuous chest and down across her perfectly toned, muscular frame.

Softly and quietly her body swayed under the rush of steam as it washed away sweat and dried blood from her immaculate frame and enchanting beauty. Here with her thoughts she had no reason to hurry, despite the other waiting on her, needing the time alone to collect and gather her sanity.

Deep below the surface of her unblemished skin, despite how much she tried, she could not wash away the taint of the souls that roiled and growled beneath the surface of her flesh. Her skin burned and she felt as if she'd catch aflame as the tortured spirits of the devoured Cerberi fought beneath her flesh for freedom.

She proved the stronger, as she heaved and choked, clutching her chest while leaning against the wall supported by her free hand. Water cascaded down her, cooling her as it cleansed her of sweat and coughed up blood.

---,--‘-{@ @}-,--‘---

Like a silent breeze Kaori entered the room, sliding the door open and closed without disturbing the occupants. Steath was not her intention, just simple courtesy to those who may be conversing within.

No longer did a bulky kendogi conceal her curves or baggy hakama cover her long, enticing legs. A black sports bra that bared her tightly honed abdomen along with an abundance of cleavage and dark red, tight biker shorts clung to her thighs stopping just before her knees (just like her uniform, black kendogi, red hakama).

She quietly approached, her hands working skillfully at a single long braid from the top knot her hair was pulled up in.

"Please, pardon my tardiness," she was polite as ever, he voice calm and melodious. "I wasn't feeling well."

He listens quietly to the story and nods at its end. "Not all Champions are born solely of Light. Such are the fortunes of Fate. As for the others, If you ran into the demon Lords, I'd wager they did as well. As it stands you can either go look for them or wait for them to come here."

He looked about to say more when Kaori emerged in what passed for her undergarments. "Sweet Merciful Buddha..."

Keiko's grandfather was stunned into silence for only a moment. "Ahem, umm Keiko, perhaps you can find your friend something to wear. We should have some robes or something akin to her normal attire in the storeroom." He was obviously extremely nervous and had actually begun to sweat. He looked to Kaori, risking another glance and likely her ire. "Miss Aoyama, I understand you had a unique experience tonight. Could you explain to me what happened?"

He was an old man it was true, but with the way Kaori looked and was dressed... He was still a man after all, even if he was a Priest.

"I am fine, but your offer is certainly appreciated." Kaori replied to elderly man, her focus still on the long braid of her hair. "I thought after tea I'd sew my uniform back into a presentable garment, at least until I return home to acquire a new one. But thank you."

"Unique?" She asked with angelic tones. She took up a cup and daintly sipped from it in a proper fashion before her redish eyes met the old priests own. "Keiko worries to much, Onimaru possesses many ancient abilities, or so my grandfather claims, I merely discovered a new one this evening. I'm very quick to master new techniques." She added pridefully.

"One of the Demon Lords claims it his his weapon," her grin was borderline psychotic and she tilted her head innocently as she conveyed her next point. "Fitting then that I'll use it to cleave his black heart from his chest and sever his fetid soul from existence. Don't you think?"

Keiko turns around, a protest on her lips.

"Kaori, I sensed...oh my."

She puts a hand over the shocked 'O' her mouth made on seeing the scandalous outfit Kaori was wearing. In a flash she was on her feet and interposing herself between her classmate and her grandfather.

"We can talk about this in your room as you get dressed if you want," she quickly said, blushing madly. "Would that be all right, grandfather?"

Keiko's grandfather nods as he does his best to regain his composure. "That would be best Keiko."

He smiles. "Miss Aoyama, we'll continue our talk when you return. He looks to Kazuo and Jo. What about the two of you, what were your experiences tonight?"

"V-very well," The buxom young high-schooler said with a hint of confusion in her voice. "We'll talk there." With the last of her braid wound tight she let it be letting it whirl off on it's own settling down the length of her back.

"Lead the way priestess, I will follow."

Keiko hurries through a narrow wood-paneled hallway until she reaches the sliding door to Kaori's room. She waits just outside, then follows the other girl in.

Once there, she lets then tension she'd been accumulating in a scandalized little laugh as she blushed.

"Honestly, Kaori...I never know what to expect with you."

"I, don't understand." she replied on her way to her bed where a duffel rest upon the smooth, pristine blanket and perfectly set pillows, both fluffed to exactly the same and volume.

The duffel unzipped rather loudly and she produced a sewing kit along with her torn kendogi. "We are not partners, friends, or even acquaintances. Merely individuals who've found themselves on the same side in a strange war. Why would you expect anything of me?"

Her tone was calm with all the proper elegance and manners she normally displayed when in class.

Keiko blinked at that, stung.

"But...we ARE partners," she protests. "And I'd like to be friends. Even if we're never friends though, we're definitely partners. Kaori, what do you think this is all about? We're not just on the same side in a war...we all have to work together. Not just side by side, but actually together!"

She interlaces her fingers together and holds them up.

"As long as we're all separate...each one acting on our own, we'll always be at the mercy of the demons. It won't matter how strong we are by ourselves. You and Onimaru are powerful, but even if no one demon lord can defeat you, they'll come with two, or three, or whatever it takes."

"I would prefer it that way." She said flatly, whipping her head about to face Keiko as she spoke with her sending her braid whirling in an arc before settling over her shoulder. "There are only eight, with everyone I killed their chances would grow smaller at coming at me in greater numbers."

Keiko assumed that's what passed for humor in Kaori's mind.

Kaori fumbled with the sewing kit, which was odd considering how graceful she normally was. The topic had left her a bit edgy and unfocused until she finally let it fall to the bed and completely turned to face Keiko and the young priestess tried her best to ignore the way the swift about face made Kaori's body jiggle in ways video game producers drool about.

"You're all children. We may all be the same age, but you're all still children." She began and it was obvious Keiko was about to get a mouthful. "We've all been given special powers but from what I've seen none of you have any clue what to do with them. You have no combat training, you have no discipline, and if one listens carefully even an education is a shattered expectation."

She folded her arms beneath her chest. "I'm nothing out there but a baby sitter and I spend more time concentrating on keeping you idiots alive than I do worrying about my opponents; it's going to get me killed eventually. The best thing you and everyone else can do if you really want to feel like your helping... is stay here. I'll call you when it's done and you can do whatever it is you need to do to seal this... Orgy, or whatever it's called, away for good this time."

Kaori's crimson glare was a stern one, but she never spoke in a disrespectful tone, only a matter-of-fact one (which, depending on the recipient could be the same thing). "I don't need anybody, especially you priestess or the rest of these fools fate has sent me."

Keiko's cheeks heat and her mouth falls open into a protesting 'O', but she doesn't give voice to first thing that she wants to say, which is just to implore her that she's wrong, she's wrong, she's wrong.

Instead she remembers that burst of dark energy that had momentarily infused Kaori, and wonders.

"Is that what your sword tells you?" Keiko asks.

For the slightest of moments Keiko saw Kaori's exterior of cool falter as her question hit home. It didn't take her long to recover but it was long enough to show weakness.

"Onimaru is a tool," she said. "It says nothing. Enchanted or otherwise it remains just a weapon. Capable of nothing until I command it otherwise."

Keiko frowned and looked down at the long, curved scabbard as she tried to put her feelings into words.

"I think that's all true," she says, "but I feel like there's a deeper truth that denies it. It uses dark power to oppose dark power. I felt it in you today."

She looks back up into Kaori's eyes.

"I'm sure Onimaru doesn't speak to you in words, but think about how you feel when you hold it. You feel strong, but cold, right? Like...you were the one that was made of steel. And you feel like only you can fight, and only you can win, and everyone else is in your way, and it all seems so clear."

Keiko takes a step forward, nearly close enough to reach out and touch.

"The dark powers want you to feel alone, Kaori. Friendship is something that holds the darkness back, and makes us strong enough to fight it. Not just out here, in the world, with spells and swords...but in a way more important place."

She folds her hands over her heart. "Here. This is where the real battle is."

She sighed and within her tumult of emotions washed over her like a white rapid threatening to drench her inner fire with the weakness of companionship. Keiko was wise, and Kaori knew she'd be hard pressed to match the young priestess in anything less than martial combat. She was offering her ear for Kaori to use, a shoulder upon which Kaori might weep.

"You don't know what it's like Priestess." Kaori started, her voice unshaken but her expression weakened by Keiko by Keiko's calculated wisdom. She sounded like her Grandfather, and he was never wrong and the only man Kaori respected in this world. "To always be looked down upon. To be told that no matter how well you do, or how often you're recognized as 'the best', that it will never be enough."

Her fists clenched as her mind began treading down a dangerous train of thought. "You know nothing Priestess. All I have done in my life I have done on my own. I have strived for perfection alone and I achieved near-perfection in my art alone. Little by little I have walked far. Proven all others wrong when they've said that I, because I am a woman, would never be able to master the arts of the Ryouichi-Ryuu style." She suddenly poised herself with her typical arrogance, standing straight and proud. "Yet I have passed every test, mastered every art, and I did it all before Onimaru was passed down to me."

She looked Keiko in the eyes. "I assure you Priestess, a Master has no battles left to wage. Within or without. Onimaru heeds my commands. The Darkness can not make me feel alone, because I already have been my whole life. The Darkness can not use friends against me, because I have none. I never have because I don't need them."

"And the darkness certainly can not battle me for my heart, Prestess," She leaned into Keiko to make her point. Her gaze was ice cold and almost threatened to launch daggers directly through the poor Pristess. "Because I don't have one."

Keiko closed her eyes for just a moment and shivered, just from the blast of icy emotion that Kaori threw out. Then she met Kaori's gaze, her own eyes big and sad, and said, "Don't you want one then?"

Her impossibly cute face paused, then frowned slightly.

"I mean, if you can accomplish all that by yourself...just imagine what you could be if you let other people in, and gave of yourself. Any group can be more than the sum of its parts, if they work together."

"And they can also end up doing nothing but stumbling about tripping over one anothers' feet." She retorted logically. "Based from my actual experience with the rest of these so called 'warriors' they are nothing but a liability to each other. The only one among any of you who seems capable in a battle is Kazuo. He burns with a fire of conviction unlike any I have seen. He doesn't fear death, he welcomes every opponent as an opportunity to strengthen himself and grow in his art."

She sighed. "The rest of you are just hopeless and your time would be better spent drooling in a corner somewhere than actually out there getting in our way."

Keiko pouted angrily, and wanted to snap something about healing, but again restrained herself. Kaori wanted to fight. She was trying to change the conversation into a battle, so she wouldn't have to listen to it. She couldn't let that happen.

"Each of us has our own gifts we bring," she said evenly to Kaori. "And each of us has our own limits. That's the whole point of us working together. So we can learn from each other and overcome our limits, while also learning to make use of our strengths and gifts all together instead of getting in each other's way."

She takes a deep breath. "I know I am not as strong a warrior as you, but I can do things you can't. And when I've learned to be a stronger warrior, that will still be true. Just like you can do things I can't, and even when you've learned to value other people and warm your heart towards others a bit...you'll still have those special gifts. You'll still be special. But we have to work together, Kaori. Our enemies will."

"I've heard everything you said," she said softly. "I've listened and I've understood. But you've heard nothing I say. So caught up in wanting me to understand your point of view that you're willing to discard mine entirely."

She sighed. "Simply put, protecting you and the others will eventually cost me my life because I can't do both protect you and myself at once. I will falter and they need protection." She rose her hand up to stop protest. "Before you say something inspiring and sickeningly hopeful like 'that's when we'll be there for you', please... spare me. You can not guarantee that you will be, so save your lies and false assumptions."

Her hands attempted to thread a needle. "So, you made your point Keiko. Was there anything else?"

"I have listened to you, and understood you," Keiko says.

"I just believe you're wrong. I know I can't guarantee anything. None of us can. That's why we need each other. Our chances are best that way. We may still fail, but at least we'll be as strong as we can be."

"And none of this is a lie, or a false assumption. And I'm not discarding your point of view."

She searched Kaori's face.

"I won't give up on you, Kaori. You tell that to your sword. I will never be chased away from you, no matter how cold you act. Somewhere inside you, there's a part of you that's listening."

Archived