mixxing aeon with world of darkness

Sandy Davis

Well, I was going to make a game where it would introduced Aeon type characters into the would of darkness, mainly Inspired/psychs. Would either of those two groups. Be over powering/under powering? See that maybe the psyche would be a bit underpowered as they can't get five dot in aptitudes. Or am I just being silly?

ANd how would inspired work, I am going to look for the adventure rules, if they would be playable in the world of darkness. From what I have seen they are , but I am not sure.

Novas are clearly right out.I think 30 nova points equals around 190 bonus points.And that would break the game balance.

Lastly would psion fit into that sort of game? they have limits and well most things you could as a psion can be done as a vampire/mage/ just about anything else.

Any thoughts on this?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure how Adventure would work in to the WoD since I don't have the guide, but I think Trinity could simply be dropped in. The LARP book Laws of the Hunt (I think) is all about mortals in the WoD, and if you ply a mortal long enough you can start to develop psychic powers. Mind you it's nothing like Trinity Psi, but it's a start.

But your right about Aberrant, it's just to powerful. I played a table top that was White Wolf based, so anything from any game was alright. I choose a Nova character (big suprise), I won't go into to much detail, but suffice it to say that GM doesn't like the AEONiverse anymore;-)

Well, I am sayign that an inspired may do things that a vampire cann't but still not so much that you couldn''t play a game with both them in it.. just as psi heads.

It is not about breaking away from the cannon,, nor about breaking away form what has been done, it is about having fun..and I could see peopel using psi powers as magic, ot what not.

Well if it simply about having fun, then anythig goes, right. Cannon be hanged. If you really want to do a crossover between the WoD and AEONiverse, then with some tinkering you could get the systms to mesh up, even Aberrant. Aberrants could be Mages and taint a form of Paradox, Psions could be akin to mages as well and Inspired could be similar to hunters (not that I'm familiar with either Adventure or Hunter). It's all about a little paticents (msp) and some imagination. Hell in a couple of Vampire games I played with people who finageled the rules to make Jedi vampires. It's all 'insperation'.

• 2 weeks later...

I point out that the WoD already have Psychics. They are described in Sorcerer: Revised, and all their psychic powers are described there. There's even a little segment there about getting inspiration from Aeon for additional Psychic Powers.

As for Daredevils? Well, It just so happens, that Bruce Baugh had something to say about this on the newsgroup alt.games.whitewolf, when I asked the eternal question of how a daredevil with Perfect Poise would react to a Werewolf in Crinos...

Quote:
Bruce Baugh wrote:

I think the idea of an Adventure/Werewolf crossover is a lot of fun. The saga mentality at the heart of Werewolf is one of the conceptual ancestors to pulp, and pulp can be fully as dark as the sagas.

I don't have a firm view on the mechanical question, I just like the idea a lot.

The exact Thread can be found Through this link

• 1 month later...

I would dare to agree, with most of it, Aberrants in WOD, witht he Autodamage and Auto soak rules, make it a bit powerful to introduce in the WOD setting, but the opposite is not true, at that point you would be just introducing more powerful mortals, of course you would have to change the Psyches soaks and such over to Aberrant system. But unless a powerful Psyche, I still believe they would have a great deal of an effect on an aberrant.

• 1 year later...

Inspired make for better hunters than the ones in H:TR do, IMO.

Least with the flavors I play.

I don't think I'd do Aberrants, and psychics have their own rules (as mentioned above) which are more to WoD flavor than Trinity Psions are.

However, Making Inspired in the World of Darkness is a pretty cool deal. I do the other way, I use Vampires and witches and wolves (oh my!) in my Aeon games sometimes, depending on the flavor.

I'm playing in a game where the world affords for at least some supernatural. While I'm playing a Daredevil, he's already encountered a couple of things clearly out of the norm.

"Oh look! Dracula!"

• 1 month later...

I told my Players:

"If I bring in vampires and evil other-dimensional duplicates then you know I ran out of storylines."

wink

Vamps'd last until the 1920s in Aeon. And only because that's when their entire history and existance was created due to the Hammersmith effect. smile

How could any vamp survive against Safari Jack Talon? laugh

• 2 years later...

Aeon --> WoD:

Trinity-style psionics doesn't especially fit the tone, and their already are psychic power rules, *and* their native milieu is the future. I suppose you could have them serve as inspiration for what a Technocratic psion might look like, but thats about it.

Novas. . . would only work as a major, world-changing event. Introducing them at all is essentially introducing "What would happen if N-Day occured in the World of Darkness?" Oh, and no, they wouldn't be subject to Paradox. They aren't mages, they don't use true magick, and lots of really powerful supernatural critters are nonetheless not bothered a wit by paradox. Given that novas *aren't* supernatural. . .

But yes, they are way too powerful, and way too public.

Adventure level Inspired, OTOH, I agree, they'd make better Hunters than Hunters do. If you want reasonably buff mortal adventurers who aren't your standard horror protagonist milksop, these guys are perfect.

WoD --> Aeon:

Well, any of the critters could act as inspiration for a nova. Alot of them fit in, mechanically, in the Adventure era. The problem is, introducing them, society history and all, would essentially turn the Aeonverse *into* the World of Darkness, to some greater or lesser extent. I don't think its worth it.

Probably not worth it, but if you wanted to put Novas into WoD you would have to make taint much nastier to mantain any balance. That would fit more with the flavor of WoD anyway.

I don't think the world would last very long without the vamps and novas going to war against each other, but it would be interesting while it lasted. Low Gen vamps would be able to hold their own against novas, but the average vamp wouldn't stand a chance. Hmm... makes me wanna run a brief game just to explore how fast things would go to crap. LOL.

Even that wouldn't work. It'd just mean the novas go insane even quicker.

So, instead of "Super Powered Inquisition," they end up with "Time of Judgement." Not much an improvement for setting stability.

IMO, introducing novas, no matter what, can only result in change.

( well, okay, d20 novas would get asskicked by the nearest street punk, but thats another story. . . )

• 5 months later...

it could work... keep in mind, that if you add the risk that bitting a neck will erupt a anti-vamp nova, life gets more dangerous very quickly. and hiding is impossible when the sphinxs start looking at where all the strings go the first time one gets pulled.

But how about this.. start with mortals in the WW setting. CoC style weird crap, slowly reveal the wrongness of vampires, werewolves, and worse. then have a faction of mages 'win', perhaps marauders at that. and N-Day happens when the PCs fail to stop their evil plot... causing the PCs to erupt.

Technocracy responds with project utopia. run setting normaly, aside from the furrballs and leeches panicing as the novas find them.

and then you have the PCs... give em say 50 NP to everyone elses 30. and they know whats really going on.

Archived