Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 3a: Regrouping

Dawn OOC

Morgan nodded. "Thanks." He stepped over to Violet and very quietly said, "Violet, I hate to ask, but could you stay with Jules and make sure she doesn't do anything crazy?" Morgan projected confidence and sympathy both and it seemed that he was more regal and commanding than ever. It was as if he had become the quintessential 'leader' in that moment of grief and burden.

He hoped she would stay, it would make the situation easier to diffuse if James didn't have all his women standing around him with the disgruntled men looking on. Without waiting longer he leaped into the air and sailed over the fence and back into the compound to head for Hawkins.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Sure, Captain.", said Violet watching him lift off and head for the next crisis. Captain Morgan was the next thing she had to family before she met James and the sisters. He had been very kind to her and never tried to make a move on her. She kept asking herself why he never did. Back then she wouldn't have let him down, actually she was half expecting him to make a move on her. Instead he gave her shelter and a place to start over and look forward to a future, whatever that may be.

Violet looked at Jules and walked back to get closer to her. She considered offering her solace through use of her powers but that wouldn't be genuine. It would be forced on her and the loss was not a lie, it was real. As much as Violet was capable of manipulating emotions for the first time she realised that it wasn't always the best solution. She was slowly getting used to it but this was a whole different situation. The "old" Violet would have tried to change Jules mood, eventually seducing her. She would've called it "distraction" and had taken her fair share of it to satisfy her own urges.

Violet shook her head and put that thought aside. She was still prone to her urges while she was "changed" but now had better control over it. Still those thoughts constantly kept resurfacing and she had to find a way to distract herself if she didn't want to succumb to it. She closed her eyes and focused on Jules emotion, just making a slight connection to better understand how she felt like. That would surely keep her thoughts away from the carnal urges she usually had and it would warn her in time should Jules mood suddenly change and make her do something "crazy".

(ooc: Emp. Manip. just to scan Jules' emotions and keep a watch for sudden "spikes" which would alarm V)

Having picked up his heavier armaments including his battle rifle, he leaves Lorraine with gun plenty of ammo and instructions. "Don't open the door unless its me, Fox ,or Priest at the door. Things are looking to go south. Stay put here and it's one less person I have to worry about." He locked the door behind him and made his way to the Command bunker and the Armory.

Dan looks to Priest as he addresses him. "Yeah, there is. We've got some rabblerousers out there trying to stir up crap against those of us who aren't normal anymore. They blame us for coming back emptyhanded and are talking about armed intervention. I'm heading to the Armory to put a halt to that. They're gonna get drunk and then go for the guns, and then things get truly dangerous for everyone."

"They're mad that James has got his little Harem while women aren't exactly in great supply and we aren't doing anything to make him "share the wealth" so to speak. Nobody goes around unarmed, and the Women on your team should always be accompanied by someone you trust Priest."

"This could get very bad, very fast I want everyone ready to for anything. We will have to act quickly."

Priest nods.

"I'll pull my people in. I need to protect my own shit, but I'll be back. My people know how to fort up. Were the hell is Fox?"

The Scavenger Leader swings his assualt rifle down to his hand and walks rapidly back to the truck, calling over his head set in a whisper as he goes.

"Everyone - Priest here. Fort up back at the truck now. No time to explain."

When he comes to the truck, he finds Leo and Andy already there.

"Okay. Tell everyone there may be a rebellion against those of us who have changed since The Day. Things could get nasty. I'm going back to HQ because I think we can head this thing off. If I'm wrong, I want you to get out of here. Go to Biddell's X-roads and wait two days for me there. If I don't come, elect a new leader."

He pats Leo on the arm.

"Take care of Sarah."

Priest then grabs up a belt of ammo, swings them over his head then grabs two grenades and hooks them on his belt.

"I'm off to Fox's. Shoot straight," and he's off.

{In the compound, Colt is with Billy picking up some fruit, and Bethany is with Sarah and Rhonda picking up some truck parts.}

James

James landed near where he'd left JoAnna, but he didn't see her immediately. Turning, he quickly scanned the area, but he didn't see her around either. "Looking for someone?"

The big nova turned to see one of the poeple in the settlement. Yesterday, it would have been someone in the background; today, he might be a collaborator with mutiners. "I'm looking for the woman here earlier," James said.

"Oh, yeah," the guy said, grinning a little. "I think she went that way." He pointed. "You might want to keep an eye on her - be a shame to let that one get away."

James gave an 'aw shucks' smile of agreement and replied "Thank you" then he turned to walk after JoAnna...

...but after one step he looked back at the man.

Assuming there's not an evil smirk James will stride rapidly in the direction the Man pointed, if there's anything of 'interest' in that direction he'll head for it.

Dan frowned as he made his way into the armory proper. He quickly picked up his own order and thanked the clerk sitting there. "You might want to go take a break for a while. I've heard there might be trouble, and I'm going to stay here to hopefully prevent it from getting too far out of hand. On my authority we aren't filling anymore orders for ammo or firearms today."

He looked at the clerk with a certain edge. "You're former military, Logistics and planning in the Army right? a Seargeant?"

All this time Dan was allowing him to see the Captain's bars on his collar. "I'll take responsibility."

He sat there and waited, hoping nobody was foolish enough to try anything against him here of all places.

James

Paranoia was a frightening beast. As James glanced at the man, he couldn't say for sure that the slight leer was tinging with malice. It could be a man grinning over a woman's clear beauty. It could be a man planning to do something stupid over a woman's clear beauty. Or it could be the hunger of a man who hadn't had sex recently enough, and had to be content watching another woman.

But there wasn't enough there to do anything about, and James headed after JoAnna. The ringing of the anvil brought him to Jillian, who paused to smile at him and wipe away the sweat that plastered her blonde hair and shirt to her shoulders and body. "Hey, James."

"Have you seen JoAnna?" he asked.

"I think I saw her headed toward the club," Jillian said, her blue eyes narrowing. "What's wrong?"

Priest

Andy and Leo nodded, as confirmations came back over the headset from the others. Colt and Billy immediately concluded their transaction and said so over the radio. As they were walking back, everyone could hear Bethany wrangling over the price of parts.

The fire burned and wood popped. Jules stood very still, watching the fire burn the last of her life away. She was tired, numb and her shoulder ached. Beside her stood a woman who Jules didn't know, and who hadn't known her son. It was hard not to feel alone.

"Are you a mother?" she asked Velvet, not knowing the woman well enough to know how unlikely that was.

Somewhat relieved, James smiled at Jillian. She looked good in sweat and all three women were now somewhat accounted for.

James replied, "One of Fox's people called in about some talk. Some people have noticed the world sucks and the supers are on top... and there are not many women around and I have more than my share."

James paused to let that sink in then continued,

"It might blow over, or someone might try to 'share the women wealth'. I think it's time to wear guns openly and travel in pairs. I also think we should sleep over at Violet's place."

James picked up a holster with a woman's size belt and put a gun inside it. He thought JoAnna was armed... but not openly. She'd have a gun in a hidden pocket.

Violet shook her head, "No, I'm not. I can only tell how you feel. It is something that has come with the change. I could help you feel better if you wanted, but I wasn't sure if that was something you wanted. The offer still stands, though."

Violet sounded genuine and smiled at Jules. She almost felt like crying herself and if Jules was somehow related to the Captain she felt obliged to look after her. "I have a place where you can stay until you've found something of your own. I guess the Captain will have some quarters aranged for you in no time."

"I can give you what I know."

The guy they named had a deep voice, sounded older, goes my the name of Curt or Curtis. I heard him addressed as Curt in the shop. The other guy was young, probably young twenties, and there was a woman as well."

He shakes his head. "I'd love to be wrong that it was just beer and anger talking, but I don't think I am. The alternative is that they were trying to bait us into overreacting which is why I haven't actually done what we do to shitstirrers in the Marines. That's also a disturbing thought. This is your Camp after all, I figure I'd let you decide how to play this one."

He smiles, something of a rarity.

Fox smiled at Hawkins in return, "I think the vast majority of folks here respect me and appreciate the fact that I've opened my home to them. Would help if we could round up the ones that are mouthing off and focus on them specifically. Boot them to the curb and see how they like fending for themselves instead of mooching off the labor of others."

Priest comes back up the the command center still talking into his own headset.

"Bethany, go back to the truck ... NOW!"

He stops and looks over at Fox.

"So, what's the deal and what's the response going to be. I've got my people gathering back up incase something happens, but I'm willing to stick around."

Priest

"Yes, Priest," Bethany said relunctantly, eyeing the sweet drive shaft that was being offered. She knew they wouldn't find many more like this, not in this shape.

Rhonda grabbed her arm. "Let's go, please," she whispered. "Not to be cliche, but Priest can get another drive shaft. He can't get another you, or another Sarah."

"Alright," Bethany muttered. "Priest, we're going back now."

James

Jillian's blue eyes became stormier and stormier with each word James spoke. "And I think," Jillian said grimly as she picked up her gun and sword and moved them closer to the forge she was working at, "that some people should figure out that we choose to be with you. If they want a woman, they can woo her themselves."

She shook her head and pushed back wet hair. "Let me know who is involved in this," she said. "They'll never get any work done by me again. I'll cut them off."

Violet & Jules

The pyre burned, but Velvet became aware of another sound: footsteps. Jules seemed obvious, but Violet glanced back to see several men walking toward them. She saw one of them murmur something and the whole group's energy changed, becoming more wary.

"Who died?" one of the men asked Violet. Jules' head dropped a bit more, as if she were trying to block the noise by focusing on the fire. It wasn't surprising he'd ask that; all infected bodies were burnt. But he was doing the equivilant of crashing a funeral; moreover, he was intruding on the grief of another.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC

Violet & Jules
The pyre burned, but Velvet became aware of another sound: footsteps. Jules seemed obvious, but Violet glanced back to see several men walking toward them. She saw one of them murmur something and the whole group's energy changed, becoming more wary.

"Who died?" one of the men asked Violet. Jules' head dropped a bit more, as if she were trying to block the noise by focusing on the fire. It wasn't surprising he'd ask that; all infected bodies were burnt. But he was doing the equivilant of crashing a funeral; moreover, he was intruding on the grief of another.

Violet turned to face the men and gave them an apprehensive smile taking a few steps towards them while she tried to put herself between the men and Jules.

“Hey, if you guys don’t mind we’d like to have a few moments alone here.”, asked Violet the men contemplating if she should add more to that but she decided against it. Instead she tried a different approach to solve the situation.

“I promise I make it up to you guys once I opened my club.”, this time her smile was rather seductive and full of promises.

(ooc: activate Persuader / Dicepool: 9 Dice including 1 Mega plus the bonus derived from Persuader //5d10+3d10+1d10=52
4 Suxx + 3 Autosux for a total of 7suxx)

Fox looked over at Priest. "Good question. Response is going to depend on whose making it and how many of them there are. I'll try talking to the first. If they will see reason then some light punishment will be enough; maybe put them on latrine duty for a month or something. We'll step up to banishment from there or even to execution depending on just how troublesome they want to be. The issue is finding out who they are. I wasn't witness to anything so it will be hard for me to identify them. Of course if I can find this Curt, or Curtis then we can get the names of his fellows out of him."

The Captain looked grim as he took the radio off his belt and keyed it to broadcast to all stations, "This is Fox. Security check in. Everyone give me a status report. Anyone spot any non Zom activity around the base right now?"

James
Jillian's blue eyes became stormier and stormier with each word James spoke. "And I think," Jillian said grimly as she picked up her gun and sword and moved them closer to the forge she was working at, "that some people should figure out that we choose to be with you. If they want a woman, they can woo her themselves."

She shook her head and pushed back wet hair. "Let me know who is involved in this," she said. "They'll never get any work done by me again. I'll cut them off."
James nodded in agreement and lied, "I don't know what they think they're doing."

More truthfully he added, "Hawkins called it in. I don't know who, or how far this has gone. But better safe than sorry."

[Activate Seduction]

Unbidden came the thought that 90% of any relationship was history. Right after Z-day he'd been a wreck. His large family was gone, the crew's few survivors had kicked him out, he'd needed a reason to go on other than mere survival... and then Jillian had given him a future. A few days latter she'd 'given' him JoAnna too. Truth was he didn't need the girls to live, he needed them to be alive.

He needed them more than they needed him, and he knew how those other men felt because he'd feel exactly the same if their situations were reversed. Which made this more scary, not less.

James kissed his two forefingers and then pressed them against Jill's lips and said, "Stay safe love. Violet knows, she's with Fox. Jo doesn't know and she's not openly packing."

James gestured with 'his' new gun belt. "I'm going after her."

James

Jill wasn't content with two fingers; she grabbed his shirt and took a more fulfilling kiss. "Go get 'em, James," she said seriously after the kiss. Her eyes said it all: she was counting on him to make sure their unusual family was safe.

Violet

As always, Violet's charms worked really, really well. Too well, perhaps. "Why wait for the club?" he asked, putting his hands gently on her arms. Leering just a little, he added, "Your friend can join us, too, if she wants. After all, my buddies need a little somethin'-somethin' too, ya know?"

"I'm not touching the other bitch," one of the men said loudly. "She's been bitten. I'd rather join the Harem than touch her."

"We'll get her later," one said to the second more softly. "We've got Violet now." Whether their assessment of their situation was accurate remained to be seen.

James
Jill wasn't content with two fingers; she grabbed his shirt and took a more fulfilling kiss. "Go get 'em, James," she said seriously after the kiss. Her eyes said it all: she was counting on him to make sure their unusual family was safe.
James enjoyed the kiss as much as Jill did and said back, "Yes." His look said alternately; Yes, I promise to keep them safe. Yes, you and I will continue this kiss later.

With one backward glance James strode away from Jill, hopefully towards where JoAnna had gone, and considered his options.

*First find Jo and put the belt on her. Hmm, that sounds a lot more kinky in theory than it's going to be in practice. Then...*

*I'm playing defense. I hate defense. Trying to always be around three women is a fool's game. Much better to find out who needs 'talking' too and let them know how I 'feel'. mad *

*And that person is... um... Fox might know. At a minimum he's going to know where Hawk is. Bet he's still watching that kid burn... you'd think it was his. Actually it might *be* his so I'd better watch my mouth.*

James looked around for Jo or alternatively a crowd of men.

Violet
As always, Violet's charms worked really, really well. Too well, perhaps. "Why wait for the club?" he asked, putting his hands gently on her arms. Leering just a little, he added, "Your friend can join us, too, if she wants. After all, my buddies need a little somethin'-somethin' too, ya know?"

"I'm not touching the other bitch," one of the men said loudly. "She's been bitten. I'd rather join the Harem than touch her."

"We'll get her later," one said to the second more softly. "We've got Violet now." Whether their assessment of their situation was accurate remained to be seen.

Violet decided to play it smooth although she was boiling with fury. You’ll learn your lessons. She placed one hand around the mans neck and pulled him closer with the other one using a bit of her superhuman strength. Craning her head slightly to the side she prepared herself to give that male pig the kiss of his lifetime but not before she said her peace, “Are you sure you got what it takes to please me?”
(ooc: using Poison to zap the guy she kisses Poison+Stamina+MegaStamina + 2 Autosuxx derived from Quantum 2 (7d10.hits(7)=4) +1 Suxx spending WP)

The man opened his eyes in surprise and disbelieve and then suddenly went limp in her arms. Dropping him she faced his friends and smiled devilishly. “Looks like your friend doesn’t have what it takes to please me. You see, I’m used to strong and built men like James. Strong men turn me on. I want you to fight each other over me – I’m the price.”
(ooc: activate Persuader to talk them into fighting each other Manipulation+M-Manipulation+Subterfuge + 2 Autosuxx derived from Persuader (9d10.hits(7)=2)

I hope someone comes soon and cleans up this mess. Where are you James? I need you!, she looked longingly to the camp praying that James or someone would come and rescue them when her eyes settled on the Jeep the Captain had brought them in with. That’s it! We’re taking the Jeep out of here. Violet slowly walked backwards until she was close to Jules and whispered to her “Once they start fighting and hurt each other I want you to run for the Jeep. We’re getting out of here before this gets worse.”

Priest thinks about the situation for a moment then nods his head.

"Odds are, they are going to act out against James and his women. We had better be careful they are all secured before moving out. Even if the girls are armed, that might not be enough. Its one thing to shoot a zomb, another to shoot a human being."

Or at least he hoped it was.

"V's one of us, but I'm not sure how combative she is. She kind of hung back on the mission. Jen ... I'm not sure were she is. The club maybe? Jill's usually at the forge, but JoAnne could be anywhere."

"If something does happen, we don't want James seeking pre-emptory justice. Things need to be all Law and Order here, because that's basically your word, Fox. Lose that and ... well, you know."

Fox agreed, "Got that right. Speaking of. I don't know where the others are but I left Violet by the Scar. I'm just gonna step outside and fly up in the air and see if I see anything over there or anywhere else in the base." He fitted his words to action and took off, zooming up and toward the Scar looking around to see if there were any groups of 5 or more people clumping together.

Violet & Jules

The men didn't hesitate, but turned on each other. Here was what they had been waiting for - a chance for the most beautiful woman they'd ever seen. All of them interrepted her remark as an offer to cast aside James for the winner of this free-for-all. And these people had gotten very used to fighting for what they wanted in the last six months.

Fox

There does look to be trouble at the Scar, but it doesn't appear to be centered around Violet and Jules at first glance. Some men are fighting over something - not an unusual occurance of late. One is lying sprawled on the ground, unmoving.

Violet finally broke Jules' reverie. She lifted her head and glanced at the fighting men, scowling. "Hey!" she yelled. "This is a funeral! Don't you have any respect?" And Violet felt the moment that she snapped, when her civilized veneer dropped and her surging emotions found an output.

Scowling, she stepped forward and intercepted one man as he swung at another. She caught his swinging fist and twisted it behind him. The man shouted and went to one knee, but not before his arm bent in a very, very wrong way.

The other man saw her but hesitated. It wasn't sure if he didn't want to hit a woman, but whatever it reason, it gave both Violet and the incoming Fox a chance to do something to him.

Priest grins.

"You know, I really don't want to find out just how bulletproof you are, so I guess I'll come along and make sure no one shoots you."

He shoulders up his assualt rifle and thumbs off the safety.

"Let me go in first. I'll understand if you want to do all the talking, but remember this is their home, not ours."

Priest heads out,

"What's the address?"

Click to reveal..

Premonition + Others Extra (Dan) Spent 3q; 21 left

(20:26:16) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 7d10 and gets 5,5,1,9,8,2,4 =2 successes

Originally Posted By: Jules WhiteElk
Violet finally broke Jules' reverie. She lifted her head and glanced at the fighting men, scowling. "Hey!" she yelled. "This is a funeral! Don't you have any respect?" And Violet felt the moment that she snapped, when her civilized veneer dropped and her surging emotions found an output.

Scowling, she stepped forward and intercepted one man as he swung at another. She caught his swinging fist and twisted it behind him. The man shouted and went to one knee, but not before his arm bent in a very, very wrong way.

The other man saw her but hesitated. It wasn't sure if he didn't want to hit a woman, but whatever it reason, it gave both Violet and the incoming Fox a chance to do something to him.

Emotionally Violet fully understood what was going on with Jules. She even considered drawing on that anger to fuel her own fury and join her but that would’ve been contra productive and may end in someone’s death. Even if the men turned out to be pigs they all lived together in this camp and were strongly dependent on each other. At least from Violet’s point of view. James would take care of this once she was back in safety.

Taking the easy way out was not an option anymore and from the way Jules was on the forward Violet wasn’t sure if a broken arm would be the only damage done. This had to end quickly the question was only how? Violet didn’t want to start a fight, she didn’t want rumours to spread about her abilities there was already too much talk going on about her. Not that she didn’t liked if people talked about her but earning a bad reputation could keep customers away from her club and that was not an option. Someone needed to save them and Violet wasn’t so sure anymore if they needed to be saved or the men that started this quarrel.

“Help! Please help us! Anyone! Help!!!”, Violet screamed from the top of her lungs

Click to reveal..
ooc: activate The Voice hoping to increase the effect of her scream/yell for help

Fox pulled the radio off his belt as he made top speed toward the scar, "This is Fox, we've got a problem by the Scar. Meet me there." Just as quickly he clipped the hand held unit back to his belt and descended to where Violet and Jules were stranded. Dammit. I knew I shouldn't have left Violet alone for even a second with this going on and now Jules has been drug into it as well.

As he flew down over the fence he positioned himself between the fighting men and the two not so helpless women. His first instinct was to raise his rifle and fire off a round to get the men's attention, but that would draw the attention of the entire base and raise the alarm for no good reason. After a second he pulled the radio off his belt again, "This is the captain. There are a group of men fighting outside the fence, I want security along the fence armed to prevent them from reentering the base until I say otherwise. Use of deadly force is authorized."

That should do it. He concentrated on making himself heard and bellowed, "ENOUGH!!!" The command in his voice went beyond his normal military commanding tone. He had started noticing recently that people responded when he spoke in that tone of voice. He also drew himself up to his full height and stared at the other men. "You men fighting amongst yourselves for a reason? You know one of the rules of this here base is that fighting is grounds for banishment? You may be outside the wall there, but this here is still my land and those who don't respect the rules are welcome to leave. In fact, after the things I've been hearing lately you lot might just be leaving right now unless you can convince me of a damn good reason why I should let you back in?"

The immediate replies were garbled and chaotic, but the gist was pretty clear: they believed that they were fighting for the right to claim Violet. Some were more apologetic than others - in particular, the one cradling his arm against his side was very subdued - but it was obvious that they believed she'd issued some kind of challenge that they'd felt necessary to answer.

It was Helen of Troy, once again.

Meanwhile, Fox saw the men and women assembling along the wall, just as he'd ordered. They looked on grimly, waiting for something to happen.

"Claim Violet?" He looked doubtfully at the men, "You mean to tell me you think someone can own a woman? I don't know how you men were raise but I served my country all my adult life and one of the things I fought for was freedom. Just because the world outside has gone to hell in a hand basket doesn't mean that people aren't free. I know there are some folks out there doing some terrible things to others. We ran in to a pair of them today in fact. One of the reasons we're having to burn my nephew's body right now. But if any of you fellows thing for one stinkin minute that any man is going to own any one else you are in for a rude awakening. We killed that man today that tried that. Damn shame too, as few of us uninfected as there are it's a right shame..." Fox was haming it up now playing to the men hoping to see if any were worth saving. "Course he thought since the world had gone to hell anyway might as well do his part to make things worse. We put him down like a rabid dog."

Fox looked hard at eyes of the gathered men. "This here base... it's mine and I won't have that kind of behavior. Any one of you thinks to force a woman to do anything she doesn't want to... well, I've got plenty of bullets. I know women are scarce these days but its the woman's choice what man she wants to be with. She can even share that man with another woman, or with another man. That's between them, their choice. I'm gonna say that one more time, just incase any of you didn't hear so clear. That is their choice."

"Any of you men have anything to say about that now is the time to speak up. You don't think things are fair around here, there are other communities around, no one will stop you leavin."

Violet was still hyped with adrenaline. Fortunately the Captain was taking over which gave her some time to catch her breath. His words were inspiring and she concentrated to enhance the effect on the others. Closing her eyes she reached out to take in the general mood of the men and rode along the wave that Fox’s words caused amplifying it with each sentence he spoke.

She hoped that this would get solved without any further use of force, especially deadly force. I need to get away from here, before I cause more trouble. This is all my fault!

"But..." one of the men looked at the other, as if confirming what he was thinking, "she said she wanted us to fight over her. She said the winner got her. That's what I meant by claimed."

"You know," one of the men said, stepping forward with an easy salesman smile, "I think this has been a misunderstanding, Captain. We thought the lady was offering herself to the winner. Things being the way they are, we just got a little carried away. Though now that you're here, we can talk a bit. We actually had another concern, regarding the infected woman you brought to camp. What's going to be done about her?" His eyes flickered to Jules and back, making it clear who he meant.

Priest & Dan

The 'house' was a recreational vehicle. At one time, it might have been mobile, but someone had jacked it up and taken the tires off. A dog lay under the vehicle, watching them walk up, but it made no move. A rabbit hutch sat off to the side, and a nervous-looking rabbit eyed them warily.

A man slouched in a folding chair; a wiggling box was sitting next to him. He sat up at their approach, smiling. "Hey, dudes, lookin' to buy some rabbit?" He reached into the box and lifted a small rabbit, all ears and feet, out of the box. "Eat it now or grow it up for more meat later."

"Hey Curt," Priest says with a smile, "I'm considering it, but right now, the Captain and I have a question for you."

"Oh, does the rabbit come with a cage? Wouldn't want the dogs to eat it."

"Anyway," again with the grin, "we've been hearing some rumors about people taking an unhealthy interests in James' little cliche of women and some of the Fox's decisions concerning who is and isn't allowed in here. Can you help us out? Have you heard anything?"

Curt put the rabbit back in the box and stroked his stubbled chin. "Sure," he said after a moment, "I hear things, mostly about the division of women. But you gotta understand - nothing's free. And just to be clear, ya'll didn't hear this from me."

Archived