Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 3a: Regrouping

Dawn OOC

The building that served as headquarters was busy today. People were there seeking everything from staples to justice, in the one case where a man was claiming that his wife had been hoarding food from their children. A number of the construction workers were there, taking a midafternoon break to chat with the pretty girl who was serving as secretary. There had been more single young men to survive than single young women so far, and the jockeying for potential wives was fierce.

But all was forgotten when the vehicles came roaring back into the town, sliding into their spots in the motor pool. Cal parked behind Dan's HumVee for lack of a better place, looking awkward and unsure. The rumor mill had indicated that the super-humans were headed out after a big treasure, and several people gathered around, ready to help unload. But when nothing was unloaded save for a few haggard survivors, those interested looks changed to confusion and disappointment.

[OOC: Go do what you all will.]

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No matter how hard she tried, Violet couldn't ignore the turmoil of emotions that swept over her. People were excited and just as fast disappointed and confused. Shaking her head she tried to focus on the situation and was glad that they finally made it home. The whole trip had turned out to be a catastrophe and even though they managed to save some souls it didn't do much to improve her overall mood.

She watched the Captain who had some kind of connection to that indian woman they picked up. Her loss was almost unbearable to witness and Violet understood what it meant to lose a child, even though she never had one her own. There was also a lot of anger, some of it repressed and she feared the woman could have a nervous breakdown if no one took care of her.

Against her self-centered nature Violet closed in to the Captain and the new refugee and tried to catch their eyes. She wanted to see if her help was welcomed or not.

Dan shrugged as he disembarked the Humvee. He grabbed the duffels he'd filled and his weapons and nodded to the Mechanic who attended the motor pool. "Refuel her if ya don't mind and bring her over to the shop. I had to do a rush job remounting the tires and the balance is all messed up. I'm going to need to fix it later if I want those tires to last on it."

The Mechanic nodded. This was part of the ritual with this particular superhuman. Captain Hawkins was an amazing soldier, and beyond that a highly skilled mechanic. He didn't really ask for much, usually just the materials he needed to keep taking the fight to the Zombies. His Humvee was full military issue, complete with the coaxial 50 cal on top.

After awhile they'd stopped waiting for approval to release stores, and simply did as he asked, and no harm had come from it. On occassion he'd bring back things for the kids in the enclave but mostly it was what rations he could find and transport, be it food, or ammunition.

Watching him now was a unique experience, he'd brought back something else this time, a survivor.

Dan helped Lorraine from the truck and got her to follow him. He led her to the isolation infirmiry. Doctor, this is Lorraine. She's one of the survivors we found. She needs a full and complete checkup." He nods to Lorraine. "You'll be fine I've got faith in you being clean."

He looks to the doctor "If she checks out, find a bunk for her. barring that she can relax and get cleaned up in my room in the barracks. I'm going to be at the Machine shop for awhile, fixing things."

He leaves the Infirmiry and checks in at the warehouse. "I need the ammunition restocked on these clips for my battle rifle.." He produced Four large clips. "And these for my 9mm." He laid 3 empty clips next to them.

He laid both duffles down, each easily weighing as much as a person. Inside were fresh clean clothing, camping supplies and lots of ammunition of varying types and calibers. "I trust you won't have any issue with this will you?"

The clerk nodded, knowing he was getting the better end.

He then went back to his room in the barracks, changed out of his coveralls and strapped his 9mm back on and headed for the machine shop, and the work that awaited.

On arrival Captain Fox took a few minutes to see to the disposition of the vehicles and issue a few orders, before landing and moving to Jules' side. He looked with concern at her and wondered how to broach the subject of taking care of her son's body. It had to be infected and they couldn't bury it, it would have to be burned, but he wasn't sure if she could handle that. Seeing Violet approach, he hoped she could help.

"Violet, this is Jules. She's family." He gave the wrapped up bundle of the corpse a significant look then jerked his eyes towards Jules in a 'please help' kind of way.

James attracted more than his share of ill looks from "young single men" category. It was perhaps expected a rich super-human would have a hot girlfriend... having two was 'excessive' and four(!) was beyond grossly excessive. Sooner or later there'd be trouble from this, young unmarried men do stupid and stupidly aggressive things, it was part of the breed.

JoAnna was enjoying being the center of attention from a half dozen young men when the convoy came back. Leaving her admirers behind she approached the vehicles and noted Violet was still alive (relief) and so was James (no surprise there).

She also noted his clothes had once again taken a beating but gave him a hug anyway. Her expression changed as she noticed that nothing was being unloaded. He stood there awkwardly for a moment then said,

"It was a fiasco. We got ambushed by a super and never made it to the depo. I had to kill him... her, whatever he was." James nodded to the new people, "Found them when we were looking for parts for the cars."

JoAnna said, "That's not all. You wouldn't be upset over a failed salvage mission."

James said, "Yeah, that's not all. I mistook one of the new comers for a zom and cut his arm off."

JoAnna's face softened in sympathy. "Oh, James," she said, laying her hand on his arm. "Is... where is he?"

James gestured at a stretcher being pulled out of Priest's vehicle. JoAnna nodded and gave him a small smile. "He'll be ok, now that he's here. You guys... Dan can heal him, right?"

James didn't have an answer for that, not yet. It was up to the doctors and any nova that could help him.

JoAnna hugged him after a moment and murmured, "It was an accident. You didn't mean to hurt him." Her eyes darted across the clearing to Violet and back to him. "Does Violet know? Is that why she's not over here?"

Jules nodded to Violet, but she was very distracted. Her arms were full of the wrapped corpse, and she seemed absorbed in that. In truth, she was numb, and she didn't know what else to do.

Suddenly, she stiffened. Had the thing in her arms just moved? Was she imagining it from her own fears? "I need a pyre," she whispered, her dark eyes widening as she tried to make herself believe that she could do this. "I... or a gun. I have... I can't... I promised him a sky burial. I can give that to him, can't I?" She looked from Morgan to Violet, her eyes pleading.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
JoAnna's face softened in sympathy. "Oh, James," she said, laying her hand on his arm. "Is... where is he?"

James gestured at a stretcher being pulled out of Priest's vehicle. JoAnna nodded and gave him a small smile. "He'll be ok, now that he's here. You guys... Dan can heal him, right?"
James said,

"No clue honey. I took his arm clean off. We saved it but whether that means anything...?"

Quote:
JoAnna hugged him after a moment and murmured, "It was an accident. You didn't mean to hurt him." Her eyes darted across the clearing to Violet and back to him. "Does Violet know? Is that why she's not over here?"
James replies,

"I didn't tell her. She was pretty pissed at the other super but with him dead I don't see how that's an ongoing concern. I'm not sure what's going on with her, let's find out."

The two of them walked over to see what was bothering Violet & company.

Violet smiled at the Captain as if to tell him she will help. Still she wasn't quite sure how to approach Jules. She carefully closed the gap between them and tried to ignore the wrapped corpse Jules was still holding against herself.

"I'm Violet.", said Violet introducing herself and trying to be as understanding and empathic as possible. (ooc: Emp. Manip. to give Jules a break. Trying to make her more relaxed and trustful towards Violet)

When she was sure she had Jules' attention she nodded to her. "I'm sure we can arrange that for him, but now we have to take care of you first." Violet came closer to Jules and tried to catch the Captains' eyes again. She indicated at the wrapped corpse hoping that the Captain would take it and do whatever needed to be done.

"We're safe here. We look out for each other, Jules."

Relief flooded Morgan's face. She wanted to burn him. That was a major relief, he was afraid she'd have a breakdown if he'd suggested it.

"Yes, Jump in that jeep and we'll do it right now!" He pointed to one of the old style jeeps sitting in the line of cars. "The pyre is outside the fence. I'm sorry it won't be a traditional pyre, but at least it is fire enough to do the job." Even while he still spoke he started toward the vehicle and pulled a radio off his belt.

"Jimmy, get that fire ready, we are on our way out there now. Thanks." Jimmy was just a teen, but he was a fast runner having been part of the school track team before the Z-plague. It was his duty keep look out to keep fuel ready to burn bodies when it became necessary. The folks in the base call the area outside the fence where they did the burning the "Scar", since it was a black grassless amidst the green that surrounded the fence.

JoAnna nodded and fell into step as they walked toward Violet; as they got close, it became apparent that something was going on. A woman with clear American Indian heritage was clutching a wrapped bundle that was small while remaining distressingly human-shaped. Then they heard Fox tell Jimmy to get the fire ready, over on the Scar. That fire was only used to burn things contaminated by the virus. Given the woman's obvious distress, it was pretty clear to anyone listening what was happening.

Violet looked distressed, or at least concerned by what was happening. She was trying to talk to the woman and it seemed to be helping, but the grief was still there. As the stranger followed Morgan to his jeep, Violet seemed to be trying to convince her to let Morgan burn the bundled form alone.

Despite the seriousnesses of what was happening, James couldn't help but notice that this newcomer was quite lovely, though not as beautiful as Violet, naturally. He covertly noted that he wasn't the only young buck to notice either.

Jules wasn't really thinking, but part of her knew what to do. She'd seen Dan eat their daughter and had known that pain it had caused her son. He'd hate becoming a zombie. And selfishly, she wasn't sure she could take it. It might be the thing to break her.

The nice woman - who had been able to make her feel a little better - was still hovering around her, but Jules couldn't remember her name. "I'll be ok," she said to her, nodding with an assurance she didn't feel. "I'll be back soon."

And then she focused on holding her son in her arms one last time.

Priest got out of his SUV and looked back at the semi.

"Rhonda, you and Bethany get us gassed up. Everyone else, check our survival packs and report to the HQ in twenty. Let's move!"

As his people began to sort themselves out and the vechiles pulled away, Priest took Sarah's hand and moved over to his team's stash. They would have to load much of this back in the semi. He wished he had more to unload for the community, but the mission had been 'ball's up'. At least no one on his side had fallen.

He watched Fox and the Indian lady move the body over to the local Burn. He hadn't wanted to take the body on, but he hadn't been the top dog on this run. Still, the boy hadn't turned yet. Could that mean he was ... one of them?

If that was so, did that make it a greater loss? Hell, immunity to the Plague was supposed to count for something. Priest shook his head and held on to his daughter's hand tighter. How much longer before it would be her turn? How much longer could he keep her safe? Would she be like him - gifted?

They made it under the tent holding their gear and started to take stalk of things. Stealing wasn't likely in this small community, but Priest owed it to his people to be careful.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
Despite the seriousness of what was happening, James couldn't help but notice that this newcomer was quite lovely, though not as beautiful as Violet, naturally. He covertly noted that he wasn't the only young buck to notice either.

James considered, *Down boy. 3.5 women is more than enough and if you try adding any more it'll be like juggling just one ball too many. And besides, she just lost someone.*

*Hmm... I don't think that body is a zom from one of the fights. He might rise. That would be why Fox is going to burn it...*

James says,

"Sorry for your loss." and edges closer to the body, moving so he's between it and Jo.

Originally Posted By: Jules WhiteElk
"I'll be ok," she said to her, nodding with an assurance she didn't feel. "I'll be back soon."

And then she focused on holding her son in her arms one last time.

Violet slowly realised the true drama of the situation. The child in question wasn’t dead… yet. He was bitten and most likely turning. She had to swallow hard as she saw Jules holding the wrapped body close to her. She saw James and Jo coming closer and smiled at them somewhat relieved that they would surely help her with this. Nodding at James she slowly took Jules arm and tried to move her away from JoAnna and closer to James while she hoped the Captain would take care of the bundle.

“We need to check you up, Jules. To see if everything is alright with you and then you can get some fresh clothes and a nice shower, how about that?”, Violet pushed herself once more trying to convince Jules that this was the best idea yet. (ooc: Activate The Voice and Persuader)

(ooc: Assuming Jules does what she says and the Capt. takes the bundle)

Leaving Jules to James for the moment Violet quickly walked to the Captains’ side and whispered to him. “I could keep watch on the boy and tell you if he turns. I can kind of sense that. Humans have all kinds of emotions, some are stronger other are more on the surface. Zs don’t have any emotions I can sense. So I thought if the boy would turn I should be able to tell when or if, since that feels to me like he’s dead instead of a living human. We could at least give it a chance.”, her words lingered in his ears like a promise as she came very close to him. Even without trying to seduce him her beauty and aura was overwhelming making it hard to think for most men.

Morgan shook his head to clear it and focus on the problem at hand then whispered back, "I'll take the boy, he's my nephew. You could come with us though, your presence would be appreciated.

Besides, I'm not sure if Jules will leave him without giving him the proper rites. I never really met her before today, but my brother use to talk about her some when they were dating. That's been a long time ago though. I didn't even realize they'd gotten married. We kinda lost touch a while back over something stupid." He closed his mouth suddenly realizing he'd said much more than he intended, Violet had that effect on him. Morgan thought to himself that considering what had happened to the world anything that got between family was stupid.

From behind James, JoAnna added, "I'm sorry, too." She leaned around enough to look at the stranger and give her a sympathetic look. It also allowed her to give Violet a once-over and make sure she looked unharmed. "Violet, hon, are you ok?" she asked when there was an opening in the conversation.

Violet nodded at the Captain reassuring him that she would stay with him until this was over. She couldn't deny JoAnna though and smiled at her excusing herself for a second from the Captain. "I'll be right back, Cap'n", she turned around not waiting for the Captain to answer and simply hugged JoAnna.

"I missed you and I'm unharmed, though I think I'll never go on such a trip again. It was terrible.", she released herself from the embrace and put a strand of hair behind JoAnna's ear to get a better look at her beautiful face. "I promised to help the Captain though. Would you mind to wait for us until we're done here? I could use a good shower once I'm back home.", she gave Jo a promising smile and her eyes wandered down JoAnna's body. "I'll tell you the whole story later, sweetheart.", she gave JoAnna a small kiss on her cheek and rejoined the Captain.

Inside the machine shop, it was quiet and isolated. Dan was glad of the distance between himself and others right now, because that reminded him of the mission. Grunting a little in displeasure, he rolled himself under a car and started to work on the transmission. It was a bitch of a repair, and he almost didn't hear people enter the shop. He didn't stop or offer greetings; most people coming in here just wanted to work.

But he did hear them talking; he couldn't help it. He was a little surprised that they didn't check that the room was clear first, given their topic of choice.

"So I hear the freaks came back empty handed today," a young and arrogantly male voice crowed.

"Yeah, and with more mouths to feed but no food," a deeper voice grumped.

"I heard one of the survivors was bit, but she was let in anyway," a woman said. The sound of a piece of metal tapping against a wooden table filled the air for a moment. "Word is that one of the freaks took a shining to her. They've just passed abusing us and moved into endangering us."

"So what are you suggestin', darlin'?" Deep Voice said.

"I'm thinking we talk to some others and see if they're as concerned as we are," the woman replied. "Maybe someone else is already working on something."

"Let's start with Curt," Young Voice said, sounding excited. "He has a crush on that blacksmith lady, but she's all caught up by that bigomist. Think maybe the freak is using a freaky power on her?"

Dan heard them moving toward the door. He had a choice - stay where he was or confront them. As he decided which way to go, he heard the woman say, "You never know with those freaks. You can't."

James eyed the cloth covering the body(?) and thought, *Short, so probably a kid. Ergo...*

James asked the new woman gently, "Your daughter, son? Oh, and I'm James, this is JoAnna."

Originally Posted By: Violet
"I missed you and I'm unharmed, though I think I'll never go on such a trip again. It was terrible.", she released herself from the embrace and put a strand of hair behind JoAnna's ear to get a better look at her beautiful face. "I promised to help the Captain though. Would you mind to wait for us until we're done here? I could use a good shower once I'm back home.", she gave Jo a promising smile and her eyes wandered down JoAnna's body. "I'll tell you the whole story later, sweetheart.", she gave JoAnna a small kiss on her cheek and rejoined the Captain.

James watched Violet's rear dance as she walked away and considered,

*My girlfriend likes my girlfriend? That's a good thing isn't it?*

*Jealous? Didn't we already go through this once with Jill and Jo?*

*For that matter didn't we already go through this with Violet and Jill?*

*What was the solution?*

*Ah, right, I'm not going to beat them so I might as well join them.*

*...hmm... I wonder if V would like some company?*

It was pretty hot under the tent, but no one in Priest's team cared as they sorted through the stuff they'd grabbed.

"Holy shit." Priest spun at the sudden expletive, expecting to see Andy or Willy trying to pretend they hadn't said it. But it was Colt's voice that he had heard, and that was as unusual as him cursing, and Priest looked sharply at the man.

"Colt, please, in front of Sarah," he started, but Colt turned to him, showing him the bag he'd found.

Inside was a handful of gold coins, glinting lazily in the dim light under the tent. "Holy shit," Priest heard himself say before he could hold his tongue. Sarah giggled with naughty delight as she looked at her daddy. Then Priest saw something else in the bag.

"Well?" Willy asked, after he'd seen one of the coins. "Are we sharing this with the others? Or do we keep it?"

But Priest wasn't thinking about that. Instead, he pulled out the gold ring lying under the coins. It was half-melted, blackened and clearly had been put through a fire. That wasn't the problem. The problem was that he recognized the setting, which wasn't altered. It was Xavier's ring, the leader of another scavenger band that operated in what used to be Kansas and Colorado. Priest had considered Xavier to be good people, and he knew that this ring had been a prized possession. This was, Priest reflected grimly, what you called a Bad Sign.

"We keep what we scavenge. Those are the rules we live by. I'm still going to take this over to Fox and show him. This is his town and if someone is knocking off the scavenger population, he needs to be made aware of that."

Xavier's crew had been tough, capable, and as cautious as he could be in this line of work. It boded ill for any scavenger team that his had gone down. It also pointed back to the fact that this wasn't zombs, but something worse. Men. Maybe men like him, and James, and Fox.

Worse, they could have been like Violet, making James act as stupid as he did around her. Come on. Four women in a community with as few women in it. He was thinking with his dick.

Priest took the loot and headed off to find Fox then he stopped himself and went back inside.

"Sarah, Bethany, Rhonda, and Leo don't go anywere alone. I don't know how crazy this community is going to get with us having so many women on the team. Women are in short supply and men with guns aren't. So, none of you go out alone."

Everyone always carried at least one firearm with them at all times, so there was no warning about that needed.

Now he went out looking for Fox.

The Captain hadn’t moved in the meantime, obviously too stunned by what has happened. Violet gave him a reassuring smile and nodded towards the general direction of the scar where the fire was. Once she was close enough to him she put an arm around him and gently urged him to start moving. “Lets give her a chance to settle down, won’t we Morgan?”, her voice sounded like a promise.

“I’ll keep an eye on the child.”

She already knew that the child was dead but the grief of both the Captain and Jules was already too much. What was she supposed to do? They had to burn him else they risked a spreading of the infection. But maybe they could wait until he had turned, then they'd know for sure that there was no other way.

James watched the scene unfold with interest. The kid was going to turn. He was dead, apparently he'd been bitten, turning was just a matter of time. Everyone standing here should know that.

That the woman was in denial was heartbreaking but almost expected. That Violet and JoAnna were apparently 'trying to make it easy on her' was fine but they were taking it too far. Jillian would have insisted that the body be burned by now.

The real shocker was the Captain. James thought this was out of character for him, maybe he knew the woman, or the kid, or maybe he was being turned by a pretty face. Whatever.

It was past time for someone to do what needed to be done and make sure this ended the right way. James moved away from JoAnna and towards the body. His black fiery blade appeared in his hand and he said,

"Sorry people, but if someone has any last words, now would be a good time for them."

The threat finally cut through the cocoon that had enveloped Jules. With a snarl, she twisted away from James, protecting the body. "Put that away," she snapped. "We'll get it done, and I'll do it before my baby turns."

The turn revealed the bite wound she'd received while Morgan was rescuing her. Though it was hours old, it looked half-healed. To one who didn't know when she'd gotten it, it simply looked old but not infected. If one looked closer, one could see other healed wounds, all bite marks made with once-human teeth.

Morgan tried his best to keep the growl out of his voice as he said. "Everyone in the Jeep if you want to come. Now."

He waited for everyone to climb aboard and revved the engine before heading out the gate to the Scar. Once there it was apparent that there was a large pile of wood ready to go and soaked with fuel. The fire would burn hot and fast. Plenty of heat to cleanse the Earth of his last blood relative. He hadn't even known he had a nephew until he was already dead. That would take some getting used to. Until Z-day he'd never really cared about that kind of thing and then it was too late.

Those wounds look odd... thought Violet and furrowed her brows. She knew there were rules about the infected but the kid looked odd to her. Maybe he wasn't infected?

The next question would cause quite a stir, so she better prepared herself and tried to soothe the overall mood. She didn't want to upset anyone but she had to make this request.

(ooc: Emp. Manip. to soothe the crew on board just before she asks her question. Spent one WP for autosuccess)

"What if we waited 'till he turns? Don't ask me why, but I don't believe he will. Can't we call a Doctor and let him check out those wounds. The boy doesn't look infected to me."

Violet held her breath, hoping that she wouldn't be eaten alive by the others for making this request. She sure damn didn't want to upset anybody, but there was something about the boy.

Morgan looked over at Violet to see if she was serious but then looked back to where he was driving. "That's fine by me, but we do it outside the fence." He pulled the radio off his belt and passed it to Violet. "If Jules doesn't object, you can ask a doc to head out to the Scar."

Originally Posted By: Jules WhiteElk
The threat finally cut through the cocoon that had enveloped Jules. With a snarl, she twisted away from James, protecting the body. "Put that away," she snapped. "We'll get it done, and I'll do it before my baby turns."
From James expression he was thinking, Oh of course you will.

Quote:
The turn revealed the bite wound she'd received while Morgan was rescuing her. Though it was hours old, it looked half-healed. To one who didn't know when she'd gotten it, it simply looked old but not infected. If one looked closer, one could see other healed wounds, all bite marks made with once-human teeth.
*Eh? Multiple bites?*

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Morgan tried his best to keep the growl out of his voice as he said. "Everyone in the Jeep if you want to come. Now."
James thought, *Finally*, and let his black blade disappear. At first he was of a mind to let the Captain handle his own crisis but seeing that Violet was determined to go along he decided to follow. He gave JoAnna a light peck on the lips and said,

"Corpse detail. I'll be along in a bit."

At Violet's request James answered,

"I guess. I have doubts but we can wait a bit."

Dan frowns but keeps control long enough to not get up and pitch the vehicle onto the troublemakers. When they leave he comes out from beneath the vehicle and tosses the wrench back into the tool box. "Goddamn punks. Ff it weren't for Fox and Priest and his crew, this wouldn't be here. It's a team effort. Even a Stray like me knows that damn much."

He tries to radio Fox. "Fox come in. We've got a problem we need to clip off now, before it infects the whole community."

Even as he talks he picks up his gun and checks it. "Manny, I'll be back in a bit. Gotta have a word with the Man. The Pathfinder's good to go again,Transmission's as good as its gonna get with what we got."

He walked back towards his apartment in the barracks while he waited for Fox to answer. "Fox, come in, this is Hawkins. We've got a situation.

They were just pulling up in front of the Scar when the radio clicked on. Hawkins. Must be something important.

Fox took the radio back from Violet gently and responded. "This is Fox. What's going on? Over."

He looked around at the others. At Violet's insistence they were waiting to see what would happen with his nephew's corpse. Might as well find out what was happening. He motioned James to step over and listen in as he waited for the reply from Hawkins.

"We've got a problem developing in the settlement. It seems some of the regular folks aren't real happy about our bust run and are using it to stir crap about everything else that's going wrong. hell I've even heard them starting to do more than grumble about James and his little harem he's got going. There's alot of people here with guns, and alcohol. I' heading over to the armory right now, as a preventative measure."

He knows he's saying too much. "When you come back to camp, be sure you're ready for damn near anything. Stay close to the women and let me know when you get back. We've got to do something about this before it gets out of hand. Hawkins over and out."

He slides the radio back into the holster and knocks on the door to his apartment. "I'm coming in, if yer there, here's your warning."

James said, "Well shoot."

*Two hand guns. Two extra clips. Rifle is back in the SUV. Violet/Jen is right here. Don't know where Jill is. JoAnna... is alone, we just left her.*

James glanced at Violet then at Fox and said,

"Violet, stay close to Fox, I think I'll leap back and check up on JoAnna."

Julia held her son, guiltily grateful for the reprieve from reality. If she pretended hard enough, he wasn't dead, just asleep. She could close her eyes, rest her head on the Jeep and ignore everything long enough to pretend that everything was fine. Jules tried, but the acrid smell of burnt wood and bodies was almost too much.

Time was sliding by as fluid as water, waiting for him to change, for the horror her life had become to get that much worse. Jules could hear Morgan talking to someone on the radio - it sounded like trouble. She ignored it, tried to ignore the stink in the air. Ben crept into her mind, the memories they'd made over his short life:

-little league baseball in the summer-

-laughing as Dan tossed him in the air-

-screaming with joy as the roller coaster started its downhill run-

-screaming as Dan ate his sister.

Jules jerked back to herself. Everything had been tainted by the zombies. They ate, and what they didn't eat they turned into themselves. They corrupted everything.

"Mommy, what happened to Daddy?"

"Daddy was sick."

"Will you get sick and hurt me?"

"No. No. I could never hurt you."

"I will get sick and hurt you?"

"No, baby. I'll never let you get sick. Never."

Standing, she kissed the wrapped forehead of her son. She didn't need to look at him again. His death mask was burned into her mind. She couldn't let him get sick. She placed him carefully on the pyre. Seeing Violet about to speak, she said, "Violet, he wouldn't want to turn. My... my grief made me forget that, but it's ok to- to do what has to be done. Thanks for trying to help, but this is right for him."

Turning, she looked at her almost-brother-in-law, the last bit of family she had. "Morgan, I know you have troubles, but will you light this with me?"

The first place Priest made his way to was the Command Bunker. He wasn't sure he would find Fox there, or perhaps at the Burn, but he was hoping to have this conversation away from such tender emotions.

Instead, he saw Dan come storming up, looking to beard a bear in it's den.

"Dan, is there a problem?" he asked cautiously. Priest wasn't sure were Dan's loyalties lay. He would make a great addition to his scavanger pack, but the man had his own issues to work out from his military days. Hell, everybody had issues from the Before.

Morgan put an arm around Jules shoulder and gave her a quick squeeze. He didn't really know how to feel, he was more numb than anything else, but he knew what the right thing to do was.

"I will."

Hawkins would just have to handle the situation back inside for a few minutes till he could get there. He guided Jules over and helped her lay the boy out on the pyre. He wasn't sure what exactly was supposed to happen in a sky burial, but she'd asked him to help light the fire. He took two large pieces of fuel soaked wood and handed one to his brothers wife.

"Would you like to say anything first?"

Jules took the log, wondering what she'd done to earn this odious task - or this life. Swallowing hard, she said, "He was a good boy. The best."

"Am I a good boy, Mommy?"

"No."

"No?"

"No, you're the best boy."

And there was nothing left but to light the pyre and watch it burn. There was supposed to be more, but she couldn't remember the words. Her mother had been the one who had known the chants and the Old Ways, and Jules wasn't inclined to pay lip service to a God who didn't seem to be watching any longer. She watched the fire take and begin to build. It was becoming a familiar scene to Julia. I'm watching the world burn, one corpse at a time.

After it had taken, she looked at Morgan. "Go on. I'll watch it burn down. You sound like you've got stuff to deal with."

Violet watched the fire and felt endlessly sorry for the loss Jules and the Captain were going through. She wasn't sure if it was such a good idea to let Jules wait here alone. But then again without James or the Captain nearby Violet didn't feel save enough on her own.

Violet was torn between waiting in respectful distance and going back to the camp and see how the girls were doing. Aside from that she felt dirty and sweaty all over and needed a shower badly. Going on expeditions wasn't her forté.

She walked back slowly and sighed before she left. There were more important matters to her than this. She'd help Jules anytime if she asked but this was something where Violet couldn't do anything but wait. She might aswell wait in safety.

Archived