Aberrant: In the Beginning - Chapter 2- The Firmament of Heaven

Titan

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meanwhile, oblivious to what else is going on, Juno scribbles in her tight, jagged script little notes all around the shape on her paper. When there's no room, she turns it over again and jots notes among her earlier doodles, connected by arrows to the parts of the notes on the other side that they were related to.

It was still unrefined, but she thought it might work a little like a person. You had different 'parts' that did different things. Each one was made up of novus and normal people.

There'd be the brain, which despite what it was based on wouldn't just be supergeniuses and scientists. You'd have to mix it up a bit, or they'd forget to come back down to Earth and explain what it all meant in English. They'd be the ones that figured out what needed to be done, and how to do it.

There'd be eyes and ears, which were guys who went around finding things out. Not spies, really...more like researchers. Juno imagined a sort of loose network of people all around the world that pretty much just kept up with local news until something, somewhere, happened. Then they'd place a call or send an email, and let everyone know what was going on. The brains would work out what to do about it.

Then you'd have hands, which were the guys that did things...when it was decided something should be done. This would be Pax's crisis team...but it would ALSO be Jay's talent agency. Two different ways of acting on the world. Neither would JUST be novus either. The talent agency, she thought, wouldn't be exactly what Jay was talking about. Not like a 'temp agency.' She had a thought that it might work a little like those 'Make A Wish' things, only not just for dying people. Like, if some guys in a neighborhood had toxic waste messing up their babies (noted complete with a little doodle of a monster baby), and no one official would help, they might contact this bunch and ask for help. The brains would be organizing and evaluating all these, and determining which to answer, when, and with what response.

Here Juno paused. Seemed like the brains were too much here. They made all the decisions. No...no...there'd have to be something else. Something that everyone was part of, so everyone had a say. Maybe some kind of thing like Congress, where people from each part got together and decided what would or wouldn't be done. And then they'd also be who would talk to governments and things to get permission and who would talk to people if there were problems.

Ugh. It was complicated. It needed a lot of work. For one, it'd probably employ a lot more novus, so money might still be an issue, since you'd have to pay them enough that other folks couldn't lure them away. On the other hand, how many Novus did this idea really NEED? Really, something like this could be done even without novus. To an extent.

This would be like a sign though. A billboard that said something kind of cheesy, but true...like 'one people, one world,' or something. Or, was that the United Way? Crap. Something like that though.

Only then did it dawn on her that people outside her head were talking, and that she might want to listen.

Nathan clears his throat. "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Something's come up - "

A shitting fuckton of somethings, really, but hey, forget an abduction under our noses, we got subs to rescue -

"The Americans have a flooded sub. Normally, they'd dispatch a SAR, and they did, but it went down too. There was loss of life. The survivors of both ships traveled to the USS Roosevelt which is now experiencing its own problems. And they're one hundred kliks of Iceland. They're baffled. They want our help. And personally, I think that getting into America's good books is a bright idea... mostly because I'd rather that, than be in the bad books."

Because I know - very well - what happens to everyone who doesn't watch out for Uncle Sam, don't I? Nathan frowned. Time away from the CIA was having a clarifying effect. Suddenly he was on the outside and mindful of what he'd do to himself were he still on the in.

"If you can do that, determine what their status is," Fang added quickly. "We need to know what supplies and equipment we'll need to take with us." Fang reached down and pulled out her laptop. Opening it, she began to search for information on submarines and rescue operations, trying to quickly familiarize herself with what they would need.

Whether or not to help had never been a question.

Jedi stands back up. "I will volunteer. I can survive underwater without need for diving gear." He looked around the room at the assortment of both eager and disappointed faces. It was moments like these that defined the future and he was going to be part of that future one way or the other.

"Getting helicopters out there won't be a problem," Fang said, "unless there is an 'anti-electronics' field, like an EMP field. The problem is what is under the water. We'll need a rescue sub, or some way of moving the crew from the sub to the surface without killing them." She glanced up at Nathan. "Do we know the sub's depth? It's condition? How long has it been down there, and how much air do they have remaining?"

Nathan nods, and picks up the phone, dialing Maxine upstairs. "They're on board, boss. There's some details we need. Byrnes wants to know any details she can use to contact survivors telepathically. We'll need some means of moving the crew if any are still underwater. And more details of the sub, the SAR, and the Roosevelt if you've got 'em."

Maxine patched Nathan back through to Steward, who sounded relieved when Nathan said they'd do it and could they please have more information. "Well, we know nothing about the sub; she's not the Yanks, or they're not claiming her anyway. NORAD bouys overheard her, and the preliminary reports say she was actually a Yankee class Soviet sub. The Russians say they haven't lost one, though, and we don't think it's theirs. For starters, even they would be pounding away with distress calls, and these guys aren't.

"I can patch you through to the Roosevelt or the commander of the Gannet, if you'd like. I don't know that the Roosevelt will chat with you; they weren't very forthcoming with us. The Gannet's willing to talk; the first mate, Commander Whithouse was willing to talk to us. I don't know what she's said yet. The skipper... he went back for crew and didn't make it off."

[OOC: Renee, I'll do rolls when we get there. smile ]

Nathan concentrates, and a very faint ripple seems to ring out... and pull back, taking with it a faint afterimage of Wei Fang from where she is standing. When Nathan speaks, it's very articulate and incredibly persuasive.

Originally Posted By: OOC
Using Quantum Imprint to copy Fang's mega-socials, mega-intelligence, and whatever else might be useful such as Teleport. Q-Pool: 29.

"Hmmmm... put the Roosevelt on. I think I can get him to talk."

As Jay waits he watches as Renee sits down in like she's meditating or something. What the fuck is she doing? I know she said she could read minds, wonder if she's trying that?

He catches himself before he dismisses that Renee could actually read someone's mind from here. Man, that be cool if she did do that. Jay moves toward Nathan, and is stunned when he sees the faint image of Fang being pulled into him. Whoa! Did that just happen? "Holy Crap!" rings out from Jay loud enough for the others in the room to hear.

There were a lot of transfers through various communication devices. Finally, an officious voice told Nathan that he was getting dialed through. The commanding officer of the Roosevelt sounded harried when he got on the phone. "This is Captain Albright," a firm, masculine voice said. Behind him, Nathan could hear stressed voices, some with the cold edge of fear behind them. "I haven't got a lot of time for a phone call, so this had better be important."

-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Renee reached out with her mind, brushing and touching just enough to find the right one. Those brushes were no more invasive than a casual glance around the restaurant and all of the minds were unaware. Then, to her glee, Renee found one, the one that was 'right.' It was part instinct, part examination done at the speed of thought, and the young novus grinned. *Commander Whithouse?*

There was that pause, and then the mental jerk as the person realized something was amiss. Frowning, Renee 'heard' her think and say, "What? What is that? Who's there?" Panic and fear suffused a voice already thready with grief and loss.

*It's okay. My name is Renee Byrnes, and I am a novus telepath with the Aeon Society. We know what's wrong and we're getting a group together to help you guys out,* the young telepath said soothingly. *Do I have your permission to scan your memories of this event so I can share the knowledge with the group? I think as somebody in the armed forces, you'd understand the need for intelligence.*

As always, her psychic touch left the scent/taste of rosemary.

Jay's pacing around is a clear sign that he's gotten a bit impatience waiting. All this waiting around is killing me! I know I said not to rush but, damm it feels like were wasting time. He moves over to Fang and let's her know his plan. "Fang, let's me and you head out to the ship. That way we can asess the situation and relay it back here to the others, so if they need anything they can bring it with them."

Whithouse was very afraid, and Renee spent several minutes calming her down before the woman said, "How do I know you'll only read my memory of the accident? And will I see it again? I don't want to relive that!" There was the sound of tears in her voice, and Renee felt a backwash of pain and sorrow that brought tears to her own eyes.

But mentioning it brought up memories; Renee smelled a bitter, acidic tang as Whithouse remembered anyway. There was more: the sound of screaming, the shocked, terrified look on a man's face before he ordered Whithouse to see the crew off - and her harrowing guilt at the relief she felt as she obeyed him without question.

Renee could feel Whithouse try to shove away the memories, but she was frustrated and exhausted, and Renee was slammed with a confusing jumble of memories. Sirens blaring, someone screaming that the ship was taking on water, that sickening smell and then the awful screams that ended in choking gurgles. The last sound she heard before it was downed out by Whithouse's sobs was the sound of water rushing past metal walls, filling a ship in an unstoppable rush.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

There was a pause, and then Albright said, "Æon, eh? That's that society that's snapping up all the supers, right?" He grunted and then sighed. "Hang on. well, we need the help. Lemme get clearance to discuss this you. Hang on, please."

Several minutes later. "I can share enough details to brief you. I ask only that you don't ask for confidential information.

"The Roosevelt was called in to assist an unknown sub. We replied and then the Gannet offered her services, including a small rescue submersible. Since that’s what we needed in this SAR and didn’t have, we agreed. She came out, started to prep their SAR sub, and then reported that they were taking on water from a large leak as well as a strange chemical smell. We could see them sinking and we sent a chopper to evac their crew. Not long after that, I started to get reports of problems with our own ship, specifically troubles with the screws. Then my chief engineer reported a strange smell below ships, and I got us out of there because I thought that it was suspicious for us and the Gannet to be having trouble.” He paused before asking, “What do you make of that?”

Renee lost contact with a cry, burying her face in her hands and weeping uncontrollably for a full minute before finally managing to gain control of herself. The young telepath, looking every inch of her eighteen years, related what she knew in a hoarse voice, face white with horror and her blue eyes older than her years.

When Renee cried out, Juno jumped and twisted around to look at her. She quickly went to her side, asking, "What's wrong?"

When Renee just cried, she stopped asking and looked around helplessly...until Renee did start to talk.

Then she listened in growing concern, then horror, to the tale.

"Jesus...what's going ON out there?" Juno whispers when it's all over. "It sounds like the ocean's turning to acid or something! Just...eating right through them!"

"We gotta get out there!"

Originally Posted By: Katalyst
"Fang, let's me and you head out to the ship. That way we can assess the situation and relay it back here to the others, so if they need anything they can bring it with them."

Fang nodded. "We need to know where to go - the Roosevelt is moving, and the sub is somewhere we don't know. Unless Nathan can tell us where to go, or Renee can, I don't know what we can do."

"No worries I got a plan. Hang tight for a quick sec." Jay goes over to Renee and Juno. "Hey Renee, I need your help. I need for you to get me an image of where the Roosevelt is. I can get there in an instant, but I need a location. Can you use your "mind powers" to do that?" he asks rather urgently.

"I'm... please stop doing that," Whithouse sobbed. "Please, just leave me alone."

*We just need to get someone out there to look around,* Renee said. She kept her tone soft and soothing. *Once our man is there, I'll go away.*

"Fine. I'm in the Medbay on the Roosevelt," Whithouse said.

The image of the Roosevelt's med bay come flooding into his mind, just like it was his own thought. Good work, girl thanks he says in his head.

"Sorry about pressing you Renee, the way you broke contact before kinda made me think that something really bad was going on and well, me and Fang could be there quick. We're still pretty new to this thing so bear with me on this ok?"

The image still fresh in his head he returns to Fang's side. "Is this image of the medbay good enough for us pull off our teleport?"

Michael still sat in his chair, watching everyone work, their faces tense.

We're still fragmented, not used to working as a team. A group of kids, military personnel and people from all walks of life. And Aeon still expects us to somehow pull a submarine out of our asses. Mbuto or whatever and Pax could handle this on their own... so why aren't they? They keep coming to us... testing us? Trying to create tension? I dont like this.

Renee closed her eyes and projected her copied memories to Mbuto and everyone else who had volunteered, one after the other. When it was done, the telepath opened her eyes and looked drained. "I would be better staying here as a telepathic coordinator. I can't breathe underwater, I can only affect data on a computer, and I'm rather soft and squishy..."

Her intense blue eyes flared. "Nathan, get me a computer. I'm going to start going through everything I can about the Roosevelt and the other ships. I want to research strange phenomena. Once I get info, I'll project it to you guys."

Archived