World of Darkness: Attrition - Scheduled IC Chats

Vivi OOC

• 3 months later...

OK, so a few quick things.....

1. I've received requests that IC chats kick off around 8:00PM CST. That's 9PM for you on the East Coast, and oh-dark-o'clock for our friends in the UK. I realize that this isn't ideal for everyone... but no time ever will be.

2. Is Tuesday generally a good day for this? It seems to be the most conflict-free day of the week, from what I can tell...

3. So, I had a crazy idea. A lot of what happens in IC chat happens in private whispers, in large part because it's an open CalNet chatroom that anyone can stumble across. That's neat, but it does have a sort of stilting effect on the open part of the chat (our chatlogs can be pretty darned boring). My thought was that maybe we could IC'ly move the chat to an invitation-only secure server. That way, we could have open discussions about things like how to handle the Hunters that have descended upon L.A. Thoughts?

4. There is no 4.

- Jess

A few questions and comments.

If the IC chats take place at 8pm, only once in a blue moon will Dave and I have the opportunity to participate. Even starting at 9pm is a trifle early for us (we usually aren't home until 10pm or so), but it's a bit more reasonable to assume we'd still have a few people to chat with.

With a two-hour differential, that window of opportunity is all but closed.

As a counter-proposal:

Either host two IC chats on the given day, at different times, or two during the week (as was done previously), with one earlier than the other.

Regarding the "shift" to a secure server... Who would be in charge of the server, IC? Who determined that it should be done? How are invitations delivered, and how is it determined who should receive one? It's highly unlikely, for example, that some unknown third-party individual or organization is going to benignly offer a virtual coffee klatch to such a ragtag bunch of supernaturals from all walks of life. ...And if they do, they're hiding their real motives. Additionally, how will this affect CalNet, and the ability of the Mods to introduce random delirious mortals, doomsayers, innocents, and other hapless bystanders into online conversations? (Read: To introduce plot hooks or simply to liven up a rather boring room with conspiracy theories and chatter about the latest happenings.)

The "who would own the server" question is a good one. I was more or less planning to have Sarah bring up the point with Lucien; she's really getting tired of the talkaround that has to happen in chat now, and figures that Brain-Boy probably has a clue how to fix the situation with a place where we can chat in relative safety.

The OOC timing issue is a different matter. There's a couple ways of tackling it. One is to hold different chats. Another is to do one big chat that start at 8 and runs till midnight or so. I'm perfectly groovy with either option.

The problem then is splitting a small population between two chat rooms. No-one will hang out in the "+mortals" chat.

If you mean to have the second chat exist only IC, and not as a real, second room/channel, it's still going to be difficult to bring in NPCs and such- after all, for the most part, people are going to want to be in the "room" where they can speak freely, which will preclude anyone with a mortal PC or NPC (or non-invited super) from being able to participate. (Primarily, because only the one room/channel will be active.)

Unfortunately, I don't really have any suggestions to resolve this at the moment, though I'll give it some thought.

The 'weird-room' isn't a bad idea, I wouldn't mind be able to speak freely IC sometimes, but this does raise one issue that Lucien as well as my self certainly know...

There is no such thing as a secure server.

Someone, somewhere, can hack it, and if they ever do we can have a whole slew of plot hooks spawn from that wreckage.

I don't see anything inherently wrong with the idea, all we gotta do is just work out the kinks a bit.

As far as IC chat goes... well, if I can't make it I can't make it. I just hope everyone knows you don' thave to wait for a scheduled chat to have an IC chat... we can IC chat anytime we like.

If people are feeling bored one night holler out 'IC Chat!' and challenge some of your fellow players to join you.

Originally Posted By: Sarah O'Neally
...when someone comes along that we figure out is "weird like us", we can invite them in. smile
Originally Posted By: Vivi OOC
The problem then is splitting a small population between two chat rooms. No-one will hang out in the "+mortals" chat.

And what about those 100% normal mortals? Those still fully "asleep"? I doubt it will be an issue but it could be. Sam may not be normal, and she knows it, but she's also not willing at this point to believe that there are monsters out there. Can you blame her? How do you tell your kid that there aren't monsters in his closet when you know damn well that there could be?

Perhaps if people want to speak openly in the IC chat in an IC manner then the "weirdos" should consider joining and RPG website chat room? One where their discussions will have plausible deniability?

Incidentally Vivi & Dave I understand the IRL timing issues, I asked if we could start earlier because even starting at 10 pm eastern is really too late for me most nights. Multiple chats at different times is probably the way to go, though an extra long chat may work just as well.

Originally Posted By: Sam Spaid
...when someone comes along that we figure out is "weird like us", we can invite them in. smile
Originally Posted By: Vivi OOC

And what about those 100% normal mortals? Those still fully "asleep"? I doubt it will be an issue but it could be. Sam may not be normal, and she knows it, but she's also not willing at this point to believe that there are monsters out there. Can you blame her? How do you tell your kid that there aren't monsters in his closet when you know damn well that there could be?

Well, I'm going to sound like a dick, but here goes... smile

If there are 100% Mortals, or Mortals who just refuse to believe then they don't have to be there. More or less, they wouldn't be there. This isn't 2nd grade where just because a few kids don't like McDonald's we all run out and buy them Burger King just because they're special little butterflies. Sometimes people get left out of things, it just happens.

Sometimes a Mortal just gets left out until they consider that there is more to the world than what they first believed.

Now that I'm done sounding like a dick...

It should be noted that if this secure server idea kicks off it should be something that would be used from time to time, and personally I think the CalNet Chat should and would remain the optimal way for all of us to communicate and keep up our secret identities... last thing Lucien wants is for the people of Gotham to learn who he really is. Even with the secure server going Lucien would spend more time in CalNet, simply because the mortal world is what helps him maintain his sanity.

Excessive use of the server could draw attention... and no one would want that.

I'm up for the mostly-CalNet / occasionally-SecureNet concept. Makes sense, for all the reason that Lucien will drill into Sarah's thick head in due course. smile

And yeah on the clueless Mortal thing. Part of being a clueless Mortal is being... well, clueless. There are advantages to playing a straight-up mortal: living an open life, no bizarre dietary requirements or sunlight allergies, usually no people lining up to kill you, and you can spend ever dram of your XP on Attributes, Skills and Merits (instead of having to hoard it for that expensive supernatural shit). The disadvantage is that you're just that: Mr. Mortal, without funky powers, and you get left out of some of the Wierdo Games. Just how it happens.

'Course, we don't have any straight-up mortals at this time. We've got "Mortals Plus", since everyone took bits of the crazy. You poor bastards get to jump into the full gunfight with slingshots. smile

Originally Posted By: Sam Spaid
I doubt it will be an issue but it could be.

Like I said before ...

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
Now that I'm done sounding like a dick...

Not a dick, just a realist, and I would fully expect that if somebody wanted to play a bleating sheep that they not be able to join the super friends chat channel, my comment was made to backup the idea that the IC chat shouldn't be solely withing said secure chat environment.

You poor bastards get to jump into the full gunfight with slingshots. smile

I don't do gunfights. Nope no way.

Archived