Aberrant: 200X - Democracy in Action!

SkyLion

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, the other two mods have weighed in, lots and lots of people interested in playing have weighed in. I've listened, I've read, now I'm going to make my voice heard.

I was in chat with Nova and several others before she posted her bible. She stated in chat that she was going to post the proposal as a final document from which we could discuss the fine points and make adjustments. Perhaps she made the mistake of not repeating her earlier statement that this was the final proposal to discuss in her Bible post, but it was said in both chat and on the forum:

Quote:
A little bit of applied autocracy can move things along from time to time. I'm just worried about using too much. However, I'd like to see us underway and writing sooner than later, too.

Tonight I'll review everything that's been discussed and draft up a proposal. I'll put that proposal into a new thread-- the thread in which we hammer out the final details, put in last-minute good ideas, declare blood feuds on each other, and throw tantrums.

At this point we've wasted two days bitching about nothing. Overload, you know I like you, but you blew this way out of proportion. Perhaps you didn't see these statements. Yes perhaps Nova made a mistake by not reiterating in the 'bible' that it was a final proposal to discuss, but if you had not gotten your back up, and started trying to rally for an insurrection and just made a simple post in response to the proposal explaining that you prefer 60 points and would like to see that in the game, you would have gotten much more favorable response. We'd likely have 60 points and be working on the final touches.

I do agree that 60 points would be my personal choice, but what Nova did was try to come up with a compromise that she hoped would please the most people. No matter what, not everyone will be pleased. A large number of people chimed in wanting 3np per year and a few vocal people made it clear they would like no advancement at all and a static universe. Many people wanted 60 points but if it was a majority it was not a large majority. The compromise she proposed to try and make both sides happy was to lower the top end to 50 but make more rapid advancement of 5np per year. Again, not what I would have chosen, but it's not a bad compromise between the two extremes. And yes we do have two extremes here, on the one side people are saying the lower the better and make everything static, on the other we have people advocating Q6 and no limits. We do have to meet in the middle and this is an effort to correct the mistakes of 2018, that means lower power. I'd love to play a higher NP game, but more important than that is to play in a stable environment that won't collapse in a couple months.

This entire 'Democracy in Action! topic has been completely unproductive. It is time to move on. If anyone has preferences on how they would like to change Nova's proposal please feel free to make them in the 'bible' thread where they were intended to be. I expect any such proposals to be completely devoid of personal attacks an snide comments. Any posts in that thread not aimed at getting this game running, but instead to draw people into a fight will result in a vote being called, a vote to label that person a dick and kick them. See rule #1.

We've had two days of flame war and it hasn't accomplished a damn thing. Keep flaming each other here in this topic if you like, but the rest of us are going to move on now in the proposal topic and try to get these things resolved.

Archived