Aberrant: The Long March - Chapter 7: A brave new path

Mr Fox

*Possibly though my network includes psions as well. Though the two modes of action function differently the outcome of delving into the psyche remains the same*

{{OOC: I seem to recall a long time ago Fox or someone pointing out that the canon supposition of quantum and psi co-interfereance was poorly thought out and ill-advised.}}

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: Ziggurat
"So we either have a mole, or someone who can see the future," Omar spoke up again. "And they are actively working against us."

The big man began pacing back and forth. "I think it is time to start building that army we were speaking about earlier. If war does come, I want to be prepared. Right now, it looks like it will start on Earth, and humans will be killing humans."

Joani cringed at Omars comment about building an Army.

"I don't like the idea at all... although I see it will be necessary to be prepared. It just feels like putting everything at stakes and you can't really win a war. The last World War was a terrible atrocity - we can't really protect earths civilians, innocent people will die.", Joanis eyes stared into the distance.

"Isn't there any other way to try and prevent this?", Joani asked more out of desperation.

ANdrew sat quietly as the discussion flew back an forth, he tried top interject several times but found no easy spot to jump in and then found his point brought up by the others in any case. Finally Andrew shrugged and just let the conversation wash over him.

After a while he finally got an idea, "Folks, this is more than information being leaked, it tool us the better part of a decade to design, test, and build the Enterprise. These Chromatics would not have had the space faring technology to even start working on it from our plans eight years ago. Somebody had to supply them with parts, comepleted technology otherwise they'd have needed to bring their manufacturing techniques up to par first; biotech, advanced materials, and the specific technology of space travel. A spy in our midst isn't enough, they're getting discreet pieces of technology somehow."

[OOC - I don't think that anybody said this but I read through all of this weekends posts in about 20 minutes so I may have missed that ]

[Also OOC - I was the one who pointed out that the Quantum/Psi interaction is retarded - I stand by that statement.]

Michael cleared his throat, "I'm sorry, but perhaps we gave the wrong impression. They did have pretty advanced tech, pretty much the equivalent of our own 8 years ago. The difference is that they had never had any desire to go into space so they had made no development at all into space travel. They even had rudimentary biotech that would have allowed them to make the next step." He raises his hand to forestall argument, "Yes, I know they made a massive leap for only having 8 years to play with, but not impossible if they were given the science in its entirety, which I think is very likely considering they are using our tech. Everything the Enterprise became was on the drawing boards 8 years ago, but being the prototype for a new class of ship, and one with the capabilities it has means we took our time and went slowly to get it right the first time. It was my impression from their minds that their entire race had been dedicated to space travel ever since the sighting of the 'invaders'. Just to be clear, I got no evidence from the leader's mind that there had been any fighting 8 years ago, or that the 'invaders' had even landed on their planet."

Steve smiles and says,

"Lovely. Irrational behavior from aliens."

"OK, I'm going to sit down with a computer, a lot of databases, and our employment records and see how many people fit that so-called 'profile' of mine."

"The other thing we need to decide upon is what we tell the president. I think the full truth, i.e. someone out there doesn't like us and it's not just the Chromatics."

Joani nodded at Steves suggestion. "I guess that'll be up to me. I'm going to tell the President what we know and bring Ulric up to date.", she was looking forward to see Ulric again. She could need his levelheadedness and comfort right now.

She looked at the others waiting to see if someone wanted to accompany her.

Andrew looks around at the other and shrugs, "I don't really know what to do, I'm no real help talking to the aliens nor to the politicians. I suppose I'll give Steve a hand. I can write up an algorithm to speed the search along."

Andrew grabs his tablet and begins to put down code. Unconsciously he shifts his neurochemistry into overdrive and speeds up both his mental activitys but also his ability to physically input the code. Within ten or fifteen minutes he has a working program to help he and Steve locate any possible security breaches.

[OOC - Shapshift to Mega Dex and Mega wits for fast tasks and multitasking, Computer roll to create the software to run across all relevant databases.]

After a good 15 minutes or so Andrew and Steve are ensconsed around the computer terminals, with Lorean assisting on the search. Almost immediately names and profiles begin appearing on the screen, with Lorean eliminating several upon reviewing other materials about them. The process goes on for a good hour as slowly more names appear on the list and get removed. When it's done there are about 15 names on the list that can't be eliminated short of direct investigation.

Meanwhile, physical Lorean suggests, "Joani, perhaps you and Michael and Cody should meet with the President here aboard the ship. I'm sure the President would love a tour, and here I can ensure that he isn't under outside influence or that your conversation isn't recorded and disseminated to outside parties." If Joani agrees, Lorean will make the call and request that he President attend the debriefing aboard. After a few minutes he and Ulric will be brought aboard by Lorean. His first words aboard in the transporter room, "How the hell did you do that? There wasn't anyone to there to bring me aboard..." Lorean introduces herself as a technical analyst aboard the ship, "Mr. President, that is one of the 'upgrades' that we've made to this new version of the ship. We can do short range teleports without the need for a nova to assist. Another upgrade is a shipwide field of psychic interference which will prevent any telepathic scanning from outside the ship. Finally, we have some prototype weapons, which though they aren't powerful, should be enough for basic defense incase of an engagement with the aliens. I do caution though that the psychic shielding I mentioned is basic and though it provides some protection, it helps greatly when those aboard have some defenses of their own." With that she leads everyone to a nearby conference room so that Joani can make her report.

Steve taps a finger on a computer terminal and sends a file with the final 15 to print. He comments,

"15 is a bit more than I was expecting. If we narrowed our search to 'exactly' what we're looking we might get fewer, but we'd also probably lose. They did that with the Unibomber, he *almost* fit their profile but he was five years older than what they were expecting. This is as good as it gets and if we start looking at these people Mr. X will figure it out."

The printer finishes and Steve sorts the pile into three stacks.

"So we cheat. My lovely wife is a force multiplier. If we asked her which of these names was the guilty party she wouldn't have a clue. Similarly, if we asked Cody and/or Mike to deep probe everyone on the list it'd be a huge undertaking."

"So instead we'll sit Cody and/or Mike down in the same room with Amber, and then we ask her what would happen if they did a full deep probe on everyone in this stack. Then this one. Then this one."

Joani cleared her throat before starting her report.

"Mr. President, we want to keep you up with our newest discoveries concerning the Enterprise incident and the Chromatics we've encountered. Right now we've got 3 possible scenarios at hand which our experts are already working on to reveal the truth. Unfortunately it is highly likely that we are dealing with yet another alien species, that has A) either infiltrated our space programme and managed to relay our technology undiscovered or B) Human traitors working for the aliens doing just the same as A... or... the aliens are such powerful telepaths and just stole our tech and gave it to the Chromatics.", she gave the President a moment to let that sink in.

"No matter how they came to steal our tech, the Chromatics are very xenophobic in nature and would've attacked us anyway the moment we entered their territory. Given our technology and knowledge of earths whereabouts it'd be highly likely that they attacked us as aiming for genocide. We are currently working on a diplomatic meeting which will be in 10 days and hope to achieve a peaceful solution. Only the best Paragons we have are deployed, Mr. President, considering what is at stakes right now.", she waited yet another moment before she finally added.

"Those are the facts so far. I'm sure Michael and Cody can answer your questions if you need more details about the aliens nature. I personally hope that we can prevent all out war.", Joani gave the President her best smile trying to keep him as comfortable as possible.

Omar watches all the activity around him and he feels helpless. What confronted them was a matter of public affairs. Political and social experts would be needed now. Warriors like him would be waiting for when they were needed.

Omar kept an eye on Joani and the president. Not because he had any suspicions, but because they wer both important. Joani, because she was the head of the Paragons, and a friend, and the President, because of who he was. It was interesting to see the surprise on the president's face when he was beamed aboard.

When Omar was satisfied that the situation was under control, he headed out to see Steve. Since Steve's wedding, he and Omar had reached an understanding. He was going to help Steve and Steve's wife with any names, and with discovering their identity.

The President looked worried. So the aliens that destroyed the Enterprise are not really our enemies, but may become so if we don't handle the situation correctly. But they are being manipulated by another set of aliens we have no information on. The immediate threat is the group that destroyed the Enterprise, and they are using our own technology against us? That's just great." The last bit was said with heavy sarcasm.

He visibly firms himself up and speaks again, "Here's what we are going to do. You are going to pursue your investigation on our tech theives. Please do what you can to determine if there is a spy, whether alien or humnan, or if it was telepathic aliens stealing the secrets directly. Honestly, I am not sure which I would rather it was, each has it's own set of consequences. Meanwhile, I want to meet with whoever is going to be our representative at that next meeting to discuss what must be said." He looks at Joani and the others present, "I guess Michael here will have to be our representative since it will be require a strong telepath. Does anyone have suggestions as to what we will say to the aliens?"

Cody replies,

*Yes sir Mr. President. Michael and I will be heading up diplomatic relations with the aliens...*

Cody notices the president swoon a bit as he speaks to him and steps back a pace, giving him some room to breathe and get his bearings.

Andrew looks up from the computer for a moment, "The truth sir, they may choose not to believe us, but if that is the case I think we'll be looking at bigger problems soon enough. We explain that we literally just took our first steps into space. That what they saw was somebody trying to manipulate them to get to us.

"We also explain that we chose their star system purely by convenient location, being the closest stars to our own it was the safest way to test our new, our brand spankin' new, ship and it's FTL capability."

The President pauses in his inspection of the bridge, "Andrew, I don't think that last part is a good idea. That would alert them to the location of Earth and I don't think that is wise just yet. If they choose to be aggressive instead of making peace it would give them all they needed to launch the first strike. For now let us instead try and convince them that we have a common enemy and that there is no need to for us to be adversaries. If you can manage that you will have done Earth a great service."

He looks around at everyone very seriously, "There is one other thing. It is a very hard decision, and not one made lightly, however, I think it must be made." He turns to Michael and Cody, "Gentlemen, I want you to make a judgement on which the fate of humanity may rest. If you determine through your telepathic communications that the Chromatics are likely to continue aggression even after we defeat our mutual enemy. I want you to take decisive action and eliminate them first. If we allow them to arm themselves further it could lead to a war that would devastate both our peoples. Much better that we take care of the problem when it will just mean the destruction of a few ships and one planet rather than entire fleets scattered throughout space."

Andrew clears his throat, "Umm, Mr. President, this system may be the closest to our own but our own is not the closest to this system, if you catch my meaning. Still I understand your point. I just feel we need to be as honest as possible, these aliens are strongly telepathic, with a little effort they could confirm or deny anything we tell them to be truth or otherwise."

Joani was too speechless to say something. Embracing Ulric for comfort she tried to gather herself and think about what to say next and more importantly how to say it.

"Just to be clear on the matter, Mr. President. You are asking us to raise an Army and prepare a pre-emptive strike against the Chromatics?", Joanis voice was stern and devoid of emotion.

Steve replies,

"Not pre-emptive. We're already at war, remember? They believe it and they've already got first blood on their hands."

"Our systems are too close, walking away isn't an option. Either we make some sort of peace, or we should expect mass murder, either theirs or ours."

"I'm not happy with the situation, but it is what it is."

The President sighs but nods grimly at Joani, "Essentially that is what I am saying. It would not be a first strike since they have already struck at us, but your meaning is understood. I am also aware that such a move would play right into the hands of this mysterious third species that is manipulating us. Unfortunately, it may be necessary regardless of how the situation arose. If the determination is made that they will continue to be agressive toward us it would be better to commit genocide now than allow them to grow into a threat that we cannot hope to eliminate." Seeing the expression of horror on Joani's face he finishes, "Yes, I know how horrible that is, but in a situation of Us or Them, I'll choose Us everytime. More importantly, I'd prefer we eliminate the threat before they grow to the point where it will cost millions of human lives to do it later. As I understand it, they have a numbers advantage right now in ships, but this ship has two pieces of tech that were not included in the designs for the Enterprise. The teleporter and the Psychic Shielding, could make a difference in battle."

He sighs again looking a bit weary, "Hopefully, that won't be an issue, perhaps they will be peaceful and decide to look on humanity as an ally against a greater enemy and one that they can live with, but we much be prepared for the other eventuallity. Now someone please show me to a conference room where I can make myself at home. I intend to stay aboard ship until you leave for the meeting since this is about the safest place I can imagine at the moment."

With a heavy sigh Joani looked at the President. "Mr. President, I can't lead an attack, I just can't. I always saw my duties as earths defender. You know I would never let you down... but I just can't lead an attack. Maybe its time for Omar to assume leadership of the Paragons. I'm not the right person for this.", she looked at Omar with watery eyes.

"If you wish I resign officially, though I prefer staying here and protect you as a Paragon... and I will of course support Omar in every way possible. I just can't lead an attack... please don't let me do this.", she pleaded.

The President looks sad, "Joani, I understand, and if you are not comfortable in that position, it will not be required of you, there is no need to speak of resignations. If the time comes we will appoint someone, but it will likely be Gabriel since he is the highest ranking Military nova with the mental defenses necessary to not be influenced by the enemy. He also has the training to handle the responsibility."

Originally Posted By: Andrew Murphy
Andrew clears his throat, "Umm, Mr. President, this system may be the closest to our own but our own is not the closest to this system, if you catch my meaning. Still I understand your point. I just feel we need to be as honest as possible, these aliens are strongly telepathic, with a little effort they could confirm or deny anything we tell them to be truth or otherwise."

*That is why I should head up the negotiations. Even with their telepathic ability I will be able to give them the most practical version of the truth.*

*Mr. President, I have already impressed upon the Chromatic Captain the utter annihilation that could befall both our species if we should take bt one more step on the slippery slope of War. It is this more than anythinghtat has gotten their attention. They are used to Tribal conflict...one tribe goes to war, claims territory and things go back to normal for a time and the cycle repeats itself. They have no idea what we are capapble of.*

*Still I can understand your position. Understand that if I do as you ask, though it seem to benefit in the short term, we don't know what else is out there waiting for us. We have very strong reason to beleive that an unknown threat desires the extermination of humanity. The moment we make ourselves vulnerable, or attack the straw man that is the Chromatics our true enemy will strike. We parry the sword only to take the poisoned dagger in our side.*

After a moment Cody adds,

*If it should help your confidence Mr. President, you should know that I have been waiting for 80 years to tackle this mystery...*

He doesn't look reassured by Cody's words. "I'm relying on both, you and Michael to do what is needed and reach the decision together. I know of you, but Michael, I've known for many years and I trust his judgement. I also fully understand the situation, and I understand that destroying the Chromatics may well be playing into our enemies hands, but that does not change the fact that it could save millions of human lives. Besides, if these other Aliens could sweep in here and destroy us they would have done so already. We will not be in any stronger of a position 10 days from now when you meet with the Chromatics than we are right now. With the Chromatics out of the picture however, we might just be safer. I am leaving it to your judgement. If the two of you decide that the Chromatics will be an ongoing threat, you are to inform Commander Gabriel and with your full assistance, he will lead the attack against the aliens. Do I make myself understood?"

He nods. "This isn't an issue of last resorts, it is about the continued existence of our species. They are a species of aliens who have develop through theft interstellar flight in only 8 years, and they are xenophobic and have demonstrated willingness to destroy human life. If you the two of you decide that they will be a continuing threat you are to eliminate that threat. If you can make peace instead and we can make arrangements to coexist then I will be all the more pleased. I would prefer not to be known as the President who commited genocide against the first alien species we encountered. But that presupposes that there is a future human race to remember me."

"Hold on Joani," Omar yelled quickly from where he sat. "You started the Paragons, and you are it's leader." Omar strode towards Joan and the presiddent. "I can understand that you don't want to lead an offensive mission. That is not who you are. But that doesn't mean you need to relinquish your position as its leader."

Omar addressed the president. "Sir, I feel it is my duity to inform you that once we embark on this path, there is no turning back. I would also recommend that instead of destroying their ships, we capture them. It should be easy enough. When the time comes, I transport onto the ship, and neutralize its crew. I don't think they will be able do much that would harm me."

Omar was a real friend Joani thought and smiled at him. She felt that they were at a turning point in history and they needed to make the next step without hesitation. Joani joined Omar standing beside him as he addressed the President. She wouldn't let him down - she would never let anyone down but she dreaded war.

"Let me organise our defense and backup.", she said.

"My Son will surely appreciate your support, Omar. I'll be staying with the President as personal guard.", she looked at the President hoping for his approval.

Andrew looks over to Steve raising an eyebrow Spock style while running a few numbers in his head. *Well I would need to have built certain parts for the implosion mechanism, perhaps a day or two to get those cranked out at our manufacturing center. Another day or so for the first bomb to wire it up and actually build it I suppose, after that I could crank out the rest in maybe another day. This all assumes that I can get sufficient quantities of U335 or Plutonium-239, neither of which have been in large production. There are other options of course and with our tech the material needs should be lesser.

The real question is, how big a bang you want?*

Steve sends back,

"I'd be happy with a small ka-boom. The same as the ones used on Japan. Blow up the unlaunched space craft and the facilities building them, with some left over for the launched ones as well."

"As for where we get the weapons grade stuff, I have some ideas. First off we need to find out the state of the facilities we used to enrich stuff back in the 40's and 50's.

Cody sends only over the private link,

*What concerns me here is that we we don't have the luxury of partial success. If we blow up their shipyards and naval vessels they can just create more. Their whole race is pulling together in a way that has never happened before and they are already zealots.*

*Worse, whoever gave them the technology in the first place is still out there. Which brings me to my next question. Why haven't their mysterious benefactors already pointed the finger directly at us?*

Omar sends back over the link* Cody has a point. If we begin nuking ships and shipyards, we had better be prepared to exterminate the entire species. I am not going to have that on my conscious. It is a far cry from immobilizing a ship's crew and seizing their vessel." Omar gives the president, Steve and Andrew a hard look. I will not be a allow anyone from our side, to use WMD's, unless we have no other option.

Inshallah! Don't let it come to that, He prayed in desperation, hoping that if it came to that, God would intervene. Other than Joani, I don't know if the others will side with me. The thought of killing his former friends and allies was making him sick to his stomach. Even she may not want to get involved.

Originally Posted By: SkyLion
Cody sends only over the private link,
*What concerns me here is that we we don't have the luxury of partial success. If we blow up their shipyards and naval vessels they can just create more. Their whole race is pulling together in a way that has never happened before and they are already zealots.*
Steve sends back,

*Assuming they don't give up, and when dealing with aliens it's not a good idea to think we know what they'll do, blowing up their shipyards buys us time. Months, maybe even years. It will also let them know just how bad things can get.*

Originally Posted By: SkyLion
*Worse, whoever gave them the technology in the first place is still out there. Which brings me to my next question. Why haven't their mysterious benefactors already pointed the finger directly at us?*
*They weren't ready, but it was coming in about a year. Whoever did this didn't know about Lorean, and wasn't planning on any survivors. Think about how this would have played out without her and him.*

*Our ship blows up, someone steps forward and claims the design is unsafe. We spend at least another year or two chasing our tail trying to puzzle that out, and we're still land locked during that time. The lizards can't let us know that we're at war because they don't know our home address. Then, after they have a fleet built up, they're told our address and off they go. *

*Their benefactor was just withholding information to prevent them from getting into trouble. If they'd come here ahead of schedule and let know we're at war, then we'd blame them for blowing up the first ship and arm up.*

Omar gives the president, Steve and Andrew a hard look. I will not be a allow anyone from our side, to use WMD's, unless we have no other option.

Andrew feigns innocence toward Omar, *I cannot imagine what you are talking about, or did I not go far enough in preventing the creation and proliferation of nucular weapons?*

Omar sends back over the link * Cody has a point. If we begin nuking ships and shipyards, we had better be prepared to exterminate the entire species. I am not going to have that on my conscious. It is a far cry from immobilizing a ship's crew and seizing their vessel." Omar gives the president, Steve and Andrew a hard look. I will not allow anyone from our side, to use WMD's, unless we have no other option.*
Steve sends back,

*Agreed. But we are already close to having no other option. We are also past the point where we need to make contingency plans.*

Archived