Aberrant: The Long March - Chapter 7: A brave new path

Mr Fox

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andrew looks at the photos, "Hmm, this is rather inconvient." Andrew looks at Steve and shrugs, "I guess we should tell them. Mr. President, during the construction of the Enterprise Adventech funneled its own funds into the construction of a sister ship. The initial intent was for situations exactly like this, in order to have a backup on hand should something happen. Once the fleet was proven the ship was to be given to turned over to the government or used for Advantech research into potentially dangerous technologies, biological, nanotech, taint research etc."

Andrew gives the room a sheepish look, "Why build one, when you can build two for twice the price? I can swear that we had only the best of intentions. Only Steve and myself knew about this, outside of the people actually working on the construction of the ship."

Joani blew a strand of hair away which had fallen into her face and smiled. "Now this gives us a whole lot of options to use to our advantage. Do you think they know of the second ship?", she asked Andrew and Steve.

Joani added over the link *"That was close... Does anyone know where Cody is? We really need him now."*

The President frowns, "I see. That is convenient, and I will ask that it be 'loaned' to the League for the duration of the crisis. We've know each other for years and I don't doubt your sincerity or motives, but before this is all over, I think it might be best if you both submit to scans just to verify so that no one will question your complicity in the destruction of the Enterprise." The Colonel is still standing in the room and looking skeptically at Steve and Andrew.

Looking at the Colonel, "Assemble a group of trusted Marines and begin preparing them in the eventuality that we find an enemy to go to war with. I don't think we are looking at planetary scales at this point, more of a raiding force, or boarding force to back up the Paragons. Have them wear the mind shields 24/7. Also, before you go let the scientists know that the ship is one of ours and was just there to observe what happened to the Enterprise. Dismissed."

Looking back at those in the room, "So, looking at these pictures, I can see that she is not identical to the Enterprise, please give me a brief rundown on her capabilities, is she more than just a rich mans's toy? But first, we need humanities best mentalist on this. I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to call in Michael Donnighal and ask that he assist. While he is here, I hope you will go ahead and undergo a scan just so that we can get it behind us."

He looks at Joani and Omar as well, "I hope you don't mind but I think I would like to make it mandatory for the Paragons and Marines who volunteer for this duty to undergo regular scans until we can determine the source of the tampering that destroyed Enterprise. I don't want to be paranoid, but until we know, it is better safe than sorry."

"Now tell me about this ship, and then give me whatever other advice you have on our course of action. I only have another 2 hours or so before I'm scheduled to talk to the people."

*Palm-Face "Guys, you realize you just 'gave' Lorean to the League, right? Good of the Human Race and all that ... At least there is now that potential."

"I am praying that the situation for Universal Conscripton will not ever be necessary, but I would rather spend the resource and time now, when we appear to still have it, gearing up for it than to not have the strength when we need it. Hell, we still haven't ruled out an sabotage."

As the subject turns to the ship, Ulric rubs his chin thoughtfully.

"It would be nice to track that asteroid. Its the nearest thing we have to a clue of alien involvement."

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
The President frowns, "I see. That is convenient, and I will ask that it be 'loaned' to the League for the duration of the crisis. We've know each other for years and I don't doubt your sincerity or motives, but before this is all over, I think it might be best if you both submit to scans just to verify so that no one will question your complicity in the destruction of the Enterprise." The Colonel is still standing in the room and looking skeptically at Steve and Andrew.
Steve says to him,

"Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time."

Quote:
"Now tell me about this ship, and then give me whatever other advice you have on our course of action. I only have another 2 hours or so before I'm scheduled to talk to the people."
Steve says,

"It's not a toy. You should probably think of it as an advanced freighter. It's designed to have a very small crew and a large payload. I think we could adapt it to ship a few hundred marines without too much trouble, but this is a new question and we weren't thinking down those lines. It's sensors are at least the equal of the original Enterprise, ditto it's jump abilities."

"And of course I'm willing to be scanned, the Enterprise was our life's work, it was supposed to be the first in a fleet. Ten, twenty years from now I fully expected to have colonies out there, and as usual, Adventech would have seen the need first and built companies around the idea."

The President nodded acceptingly at Steve's words. "That sounds good. So, do you all have any other advice for me? What I am considering doing is this: First, I need Michael to use his abilities to check out that Alien vessel and try to determine guilt. If it is then we can move forward from there. I would like the Paragons to jump there near that alien vessel and do a quick scan using the second jumpship."

"Second I am going to announce to the public that the Enterprise was destroyed and that the Paragons are investigating. That should soothe the public long enough to make a positive conclusion as to whether this was an internal or external attack."

"Once that is done I want all of you to report back to me so that we can proceed from there."

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
The President nodded acceptingly at Steve's words. "That sounds good. So, do you all have any other advice for me? What I am considering doing is this: First, I need Michael to use his abilities to check out that Alien vessel and try to determine guilt. If it is then we can move forward from there. I would like the Paragons to jump there near that alien vessel and do a quick scan using the second jumpship."

"Second I am going to announce to the public that the Enterprise was destroyed and that the Paragons are investigating. That should soothe the public long enough to make a positive conclusion as to whether this was an internal or external attack."

"Once that is done I want all of you to report back to me so that we can proceed from there."

"Wouldn't that rouse too many questions about the reasons for the Enterprise's destruction? I don't know if that is a good call. On the other hand leaving too much in the dark will give space for rumors and speculations. The public could think that the Presidency has something to hide.", Joani sighed for the first time actually looking concerned.

Facing her husband she asked him, "What would you do, darling? You've always had such a good hand with difficult situations.", looking back at the President she added, "I don't mean to be disrespectful, Mr. President - it is only that I have a bad feeling about this. We will of course investigate as you asked us to do. I agree that asking Michael for help is a good idea. Most important now is, that we need a solid plan."

*We need to buy us some time, there is too much we don't know. I really got a bad feeling about this...*

*I'm sure Cody can help, I seem to recall he had a side project to prepare for something like this anyway. *

"At this point too many people know about the destruction of the ship, even military men will tell somebody who will tell somebody else. Better for the government to tell the citizens upfront, explain what we know and that the Paragons are working on the investigation. By holding back we risk a leak and that leak will spawn rumors, rumors become accusations of cover-up. It'll get ugly quick." Andrew sighs and shakes his head, "One giant leap for mankind ... somebody should have said, 'Watch out for that first step, it's a doozy.'"

Quote:

"Wouldn't that rouse too many questions about the reasons for the Enterprise's destruction? I don't know if that is a good call. On the other hand leaving too much in the dark will give space for rumors and speculations. The public could think that the Presidency has something to hide.", Joani sighed for the first time actually looking concerned.

The President listens to everyone, "That is why I must speak now. Even if we don't know yet what is happening, waiting any longer will risk much more. Hopefully you will be able to give me the answer I need very shortly."

As he is finishing there is another knock at the door and it opens to reveal Michael. "Sorry it took me so long Mr. President, I was involved in some research and had the opnet and other communications turned off until just a few minutes ago." The President give Michael a quick summary of what has transpired and what he wants done. Michael agrees and offers to scan each of you while the President waits.

Michael of course was fully aware of what was going on since he's on the Link with the rest of you. He quickly goes through the motions of 'scanning' you and declares you each to be of honest motives and uninvolved in the Enterprise's destruction and unaffected by alien influences.

After the meeting with the President adjourned he was teleported to League headquarters where he proceeded to make the announcement that the Enterprise had been destroyed and that the Paragons were investigating to determine the cause. Though no where near the level of Ulric in his eloquence he did convey his sympathies with the families of those who had lost relatives. He did mention that there was one survivor and that they were reviewing his statements and recordings to help determine the cause of the tragedy.

Meanwhile Lorean brings you all aboard onto the bridge. "I'm very sorry about the breach of security and revealing myself. I should have mentioned to you that we would be visible. I can either be in stealth-mode or have my defenses up, but I can't do both at the same time. The energy emitted by the forcefield renders most of my stealth features useless." Her hologram looks a bit sheepish and she is blushing.

"I've also brought the other Paragons aboard who have psychic defenses as well as Gabriel. They are in the Situation Room." She puts up a holographic display of her new layout showing the Situation Room in relation to the Bridge and other areas of interest like your quarters and the galley. "The Transporter room as well as the cargo have been concealed and are sealed off until such time as you require access to them. You should know however, that there are no escape pods. Should we enter combat and I become disabled or destroyed, there would be no escape."

Blushing again she adds, "I will be going in in Defense mode. If I raise my Psi-Shields Michael and Cody could not scan outward. Also, I thought it might be handy to keep the fact that I have such shields hidden in the event that we need to get sneaky at some point in the future."

"As soon as Commander Riekspar arrives on the bridge I will jump, since he is a the only Navy officer with psychic defenses available to 'captain' me he should be here for the jump. I will be recording the entire event for the President, but I can edit out anything you don't wish to have overheard."

A few minutes later Gabe enters the bridge and Lorean's hologram salutes and says, "Captain on the bridge!", then grins.

Omar sits and watches Lorien salute the military officer as if she was military personnel. He figured it was to maintain the illusion that Lorien was a smaller twin of the Enterpries. He wished that they had revealed her differently. Now the President and the people of earth could lay a claim to her. She was Omar's only way back to his own timeline. He would do whatever it took to keep her in their hands. Violence was not off the table.

Lorean says over the link, *Just to be clear. I will not be revealing my true nature to the passengers aboard. Gabriel already knows me, but the others aboard will not be aware that I am sentient. As you can see from the bridge I have fully reconfigured to appear as a regular ship. When others are present you will not see my hologram and I would appreciate you not give me away by speaking directly too me as if I am alive. You can still issue voice commands as that is not out of the realm of possibility, but make them simple commands. Otherwise use the link and pretend to be entering the commands manually.*

Joani was getting nervous, though she didn't show it. She watched the passengers board the only place they had over the last years where they could truly hide.

Why is it so, that when something goes wrong it really goes wrong..., she thought to herself.

She contemplated her next decision and then opened a link to Omar and Lorean.

*"I'm going to tell Andrew - you know about what. If the going gets tough I don't want to be a liability. I hope he knows how to help me."*

Gathering her willpower she went to Andrew, trying to get a moment where they both could speak in private.

"Andrew, I know this is the most inconvenient moment for further complications, but I need to talk with you.", she looked really worried.

Andrew lounges on the bridge, inwardly smirking at the formality as Joani and Ulric's son enters the room. It's good to be a civilian. He poked idly at buttons on the console in front of him, wondering just what they next few hours or days would bring. Is this our first contact with the Eliminators? he though to himself.

He looked up to see Joani walking over to him, he couldn't place the look on her face. Was is concern, even after all this time he couldn't read people even half as well as Steve. "Hey girl, how you doin?" he asked trying to be nochalant.

Originally Posted By: Joani
"Andrew, I know this is the most inconvenient moment for further complications, but I need to talk with you.", she looked really worried.

That's worry. And I can't say it's a look I've seen much on her face. Andrew dropped his feet to the floor and stood up. He looked her up and down, as though gauging her but he was really finding the right words. Finally he spoke, "Sure, what's wrong?" He looked about the room, the various paragons mixed with his friends. "Perhaps we should go down to the lab for some privacy?"

Without really bothering to wait for a reply Andrew started toward the science lab, one of the few places on the ship that would be empty of other people. A few minutes later Andrew dropped onto a lab stool and spun about lazily, "Ok, go ahead, what's up?"

Originally Posted By: Andrew Murphy
"Perhaps we should go down to the lab for some privacy?"

Without really bothering to wait for a reply Andrew started toward the science lab, one of the few places on the ship that would be empty of other people. A few minutes later Andrew dropped onto a lab stool and spun about lazily, "Ok, go ahead, what's up?"

Joani followed Andrews lead, relieved that he had chosen the lab. Either he has good intuition or he can read minds, than again - he is the science type, he most likely feels most comfortable here.

"Lorean - please seal the lab and warn us of any visitors. Thank you.", she said and then turned to Andrew.

"I don't know how to start...", she exhaled as if she was carrying a heavy weight. "A few years ago there was a joint mission with Team Asia and Team America. We've chased one of the few Novacriminals left who turned out to be quite resourceful in escaping from our grasp. His hide out was a large warehouse at the Dover harbour in England.", she explained.

"Since I knew we hadn't much time in catching him I broke into the warehouse trying to surprise him.", she sighed and paused before she continued.

"It turned out that I was the one to be surprised for what I saw and felt was extremely unusual. The man was glowing and about to charge large boulders with some kind of energy which turned out to be highly radioactive. I felt nauseated and decided to charge him to interupt whatever he was doing and almost broke my shoulder when I hit him. He turned around and laughed picking me up from the floor and knocking me unconscious with a single blow.", her eyes stared past Andrew as if she was focusing on something that lay far behind.

"I woke up in Omars arms severely injured but he had managed to catch him just before that man was about to kill me. I was completely powerless." Turning away from Andrew she added.

"Lorean helped me to recover quickly and erased all evidence of that incident. Omar is the only one who knows, not even my husband. I didn't want him to worry about me... but now I'm not so sure anymore. You see Andrew - processed radioactive material like Plutonium or Uranium renders me powerless. I don't know why, but we tested it here. Do you think there is a way to cure me from this? Lorean thinks it is taintrelated. What if the aliens have weapons which are made of radioactive material? I'd be useless...", she looked devastated and looked imploring to Andrew.

Andrew listened in silence his jaw dropped into an open gape. Finally he recovered, "Well it certainly sounds like it could be taint related." Andrew walks over to a supply cabinet and removes a few things talking over his shoulder, "I'll need to run some tests of course. It is possible that this was part of that man's own powers or as a reaction to his abilities.”

Andrew unwraps a syringe and connects a needle to it, "I'll need to take some blood, umm, can you dorm? Otherwise I'll need your help with that."

As he draws blood Andrew tries to offer a comforting smile; in the back of his mind he was surprised and somewhat concerned. Lorean had precious little information related to taint and what she did have had not gotten Andrew far on his research, most had been earned the hard way through testing on himself, Omar, and other that he contacted through Æon. He was deeply worried that taint might prove to be the inevitable result of damage to the nova body caused by channeling quantum energy. His studies had shown that eventually all novas who achieved a certain level of power seemed to accrue some amount of taint.

Andrew shakes himself back to the moment at hand. "Don't worry; I'll do whatever I can to help. As you know I've been working to find a cure for taint. Hopefully this is merely a taint based illness caused by this other nova you encountered, if not we'll figure out how to work around it. And don't fear that I'll tell Ulric, doctor-patient confidentiality still applies.

“Now I’ll need you to answer a few questions to help me diagnose the problem. How long ago was this? Had you experienced, either prior or soon after, any greater degree of power or new abilities entirely?" Andrew continues making notes in a book and dropping the blood into a variety of machines for further analysis.

[OOC - no need to actually answer those questions of course.]

Joani concentrated on letting the needle pierce her skin. It was a while since someone actually managed to hurt her. She listened to Andrews questions and searched her memory for answers.

"I think it was ten years ago - my powers have increased gradually but I felt a significant change around that time. I can remember how unstoppable I felt. There had been quite a few "impossible feats" to qoute the newspapers that I pulled off. I think only Omar can be physically stronger than I am, I mean when he grows. That "accident" brought me back to reality, I guess.", she sighed again but smiled at Andrew. It seemed as if she had been carrying this secret for too long around her and she felt less and less mentally encumbered.

"You can't imagine how much energy it cost me the following years - keeping this secret from Ulric and the kids... and all the other Paragons. Fortunately I never encountered any threat again since then, but now - after we've probably made contact with aliens I'm scared... I hope there will be no war. I don't want my children and my grandchildren be victims of war.", her eyes watered with tears which she quickly wiped away, hoping that Andrew hadn't noticed. Then she put on her smile of confidence waiting for Andrews results.

Andrew nodded, his face grim as he listened to Joani explain how hard it had been for her to keep this a secret. "I know how you feel, there's a reason I've become so withdrawn over the years." He shakes his head and sighs, I'll have to tell them sometime, he thought.

Turning his back to her he went about looking over the data and replied. "Ten years is a long time to carry a secret around. I know, because I've been hiding one of my own for decades now." He looks over his shoulder, "I'm only telling you this so that you understand, I will stop at nothing to find a cure." Andrew turns back to the machine as it beeps, it's test completed, and he scans the data.

"Fifty years ago my whole life was changed by taint, much like you I too found a sudden increase in power, though not contained to any one ability, more of a general awakening to greater control of quantum energy." Andrew smiles, "That's neither here nor there though. The why matters not, the result was a change I still do not fully understand. I found that my body needed something specific to survive. Before I ate and slept as any normal nova, but since that day I have had rather ... specific dietary constraints."

Andrew makes a face and turns to face Joani, "I'm beating around the bush because for fifty years the only people who have known my secret have been Morgan, Steve, and Lorean." Andrew hangs his head, the look of sadness mixed with guilt lines his face in a way that time has proven incabable of doing. "Fifty years ago I found that I needed to consume stem cells to survive. Human stem cells."

Andrew looks at Joani, "My life was ruined that day, because no matter how I fight it I cannot ignore the hunger. Nothing had helped, nobody has been able to provide me with even a days respite. The curse of my taint drives me."

Andrew sets his jaw and blinks away a tear, "It drives me to feed and it drive me to find an answer to my own illness. So understand that when I tell you now that I will find a cure for us, I will either do so, or I will die trying." Andrew tries to read the mixed emotion on Joani's face, "I'm sorry but you too have a taint based aberration. For now there is nothing I can do, but I will fix this, no matter what I must do."

"I had no idea...", Joani was overwhelmed by his sincerity. And there she thought he was a strange, kind of nerdy science geek and all the while he had been living with this terrible... she didn't even have words for it.

She walked to him giving him a comforting hug. "I don't know what to say... but I thank you. And I'm sorry.", she released the hug a little to look him in his eyes. "I'm sorry for not being there for you. For not realizing earlier... I suppose we all have our package to carry around.", she sighed heavily.

"I think its about time to tell Ulric. What kind of marriage would this be, if I can't trust him with my fears.", she looked to the floor, turning away from Andrew. "I'm not a good wife... and not much of a good mother either, I fear."

Andrew returned the hug, "It was my choice to bear this shame alone, I feared the reaction, from the public and the rest of you, should I have made it known. Perhaps I was wrong but what's done is done now."

Originally Posted By: Joani
"I think its about time to tell Ulric. What kind of marriage would this be, if I can't trust him with my fears.", she looked to the floor, turning away from Andrew. "I'm not a good wife... and not much of a good mother either, I fear."

"Don't say that, you did what you thought was right. Besides, you are only human."

Andrew quickly puts some of the used supplies into the waste reclamation, "If you'd like I can tell Ulric you'd like to speak to him, nobody will come into my lab so you'll have privacy."

Joani nodded in agreement. "That's a good idea... I don't think I've got the strength right now to go back and talk right there with him. The privacy of your lab would be great.", she answered.

For a moment Joani looked like in the days back when they met the first time in the Hotel in New York... somewhat innocent and vulnerable. Staring at the floor she sorted her thoughts gathering the willpower to tell her love about her secret she had kept from him.

Andrew nods, "I'll send him down." With that he leaves and heads up to the bridge once more. Andrew felt better, like a weight had been removed from his shoulders, even if only for a moment.

Within minutes he arrived back on the bridge and sought out Ulric. Leaning in close he said quietly, "Your wife would like a word with you, she's in my lab."

(OOC: Ulric asked me to write this scene. I hope its ok with you guys)

Joani almost didn't notice as her husband entered the lab. It was more his presence than the noise his shoes made on the floor that made her realize she wasn't alone. Turning around she faced him reaching out for him and embraced him tightly. He could feel her emotional turmoil, her beating heart and the trembling shivers that shook her body.

"Shh... its ok,", he tried to sooth her giving as much comfort and tranquilness he could in his embrace. "It's been a while I saw you like this. What is troubling you, honey?"

Joani wanted to give in to her guilty feelings she had and wash it away with her tears but that wouldn't explain anything. She swallowed hard before she answered.

"I've... I've been hiding something from you and the kids for far too long now. I should've told you from the start but I didn't want you to worry - didn't want to disappoint you. Around ten years ago I almost died on a mission with the Paragons.", she clinged to him fast.

"I fought against a Nova whose powers based on radioactivity. He managed to charge large boulders with his radioactive-powers. I had no idea but it robbed me completely of my powers... I was defenseless. Omar saved my live that day - and he's the only one besides Lorean who knows about my condition.", she released herself from the embrace.

"I just spoke with Andrew, since he is the only one I know who can help curing me from this condition. He said its most likely taintrelated and that unfortunately he hasn't found a cure for it, yet. But he will find one... if its the last thing he does. I trust him..."

Looking into Ulrics eyes he tried answer but Joani interrupted him, "Don't... please let me finish.", she took a deep breath and said, "I've been a lousy wife and an absent mother. I neglected you and my children. While I've been there for the whole world I couldn't manage to spent more time with my loved ones... and now I'm scared. Scared to death - afraid of losing it all."

Ulric listened to her words never changing his posture trying to give her comfort and stability.

"How many times do I have to tell you, my love?", he answered. "The children and I are very proud of what you've done for all of us. The sacrifice you've made and the ordeals you've been through - but you continued with even stronger resolve, no matter the odds. You are an Idol of Virtue and Dedication to the human cause... and now you've proven to be not without fault. I believe this makes you more human than anything else you've accomplished and you've been the best that has ever happened to me. You've given me two wonderful children, you've given me the time to retreat from my office. You've been there when I needed you and you've been there when the world needed you. Our live challenges us constantly with choices and we are the sum of our past - the sum of our decisions. You never falter in what you did and I admired it every single day. I love you, Joani - truly, deeply love you and nothings going to change that, ever.", he hugged her stroking carefully her head. It was then when she finally gave into her pain and burst into tears, releaved that he understood and comforted her. She needed him more than ever.

When everyone had gathered on the bridge and Cody had been teleported in, Gabriel sat down in the Captian's chair and asked that Lorean open a channel to those waiting in the other areas of the ship. "This is the Captain. We are about to jump into the vicinity of the Alien vessel. We will stay at least one light hour out from it and if it does not make any hostile moves our telepaths will scan it to see if we can determine if they were responsible for the Enterprises destruction. If that turns out to be the case we will send a message back to the President for further instructions. Please prepare for jump and prepare to defend yourselves if necessary."

A minute passed as Lorean prepared for the jump and then there was the usual stomach dropping feeling and the world righted itself again. The screen at the front of the bridge lit up showing the alien craft in much greater detail than Joani was able to manage. From this distance and with Lorean's quantum powered senses you can see that the ship is painted in a green mottled pattern which looks random. From this distance you can tell which end is the front and which the back. There are large engines at the rear of some kind, likely ion propulsion for inner system movement. At the front are protrusions that look like they are some kind of antenna.

Omar eyed the giant alien ship like it was a snake and he was a mongoose. While both were lethal, the ship could strike at any moment. Omar, on the other hand, watched warily for any movement, his own lethality ready to let loose. He noticed that his claws had come out, their tips touching the side of his knees.

He took a deep breath to reassure himself that he was ready for the aliens. He had to be.

Andrew made little pretense of being occupied, instead spinning in his chair and occasionally punching in a few commands on the computer. The data incoming about the alien vessel was largely worthless, while dimension and mass measurments might be useful later they did little to tell Andrew what the ship could really do. It was a waiting game; nearby Michael and Cody probed the ship, attempting to contact the intelligence behind the vessel. Meanwhile it sat, like a lump of army camo refuse in the void.

Andrew sighed and spun his chair once more, Do something, anything, maybe then I'll have some data to analyze. Andrew made a face; he hated being bored and the knowledge that the image and some of the other data they were collecting were already an hour old meant that even if they provoked a reaction he'd likely not get any data until an hour after that; at least assuming that said reaction didn't involve closing the distance between Lorean and the alien ship.

A shimmering of light accompanies a teleport directly onto the bridge.

For the first time in 10 years, Cody has made a direct appearance to the crew. His seclusion began gradually, with him seeming to become more immeresed in his research and shadowy dealings. Soon he only showed up for emergencies and the yearly meetings. Then he dissappeared. Had it not been for Lorean and Michael's assurance that he was well, the others might have surmised his passing or slide into taint madness.

The last time anyone had seen him he had grown quite old but the man now standing on the bridge seemed even younger than before, the spitting image of the young man who once tutored under Steve Courier in the second Gulf War. He might have even been Cody's son were it not for that same tac-suit and eerie chrome lenses. Aside from his age in fact, Cody was perhaps the least changed of any onboard the fated timeship.

*Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated...good to see you, Old Man,* he says to Steve with an implied wink.

*Apologies for my long absence. It has been necessary to seclude myself in order to fully focus on the bigger picture.*

Cody looks over the faces of his comrades; Omar, Andrew, Joani, Ulric, Morgan.

*It is good to see that you all have pursued and found happiness on this timeline. For myself however it has always been but a temporary stop on our long journey. At my request, Michael and Lorean have kept my research in the strictist confidence and I have patiently awaited the day when I would return to remind us of our own alien origins. I am sorry my return has to be under such a grave onus.*

*For the last 60 years I have dedicated myself to searching out the mysteries of the heaven's, hoping to find some trace of those who Watch. Of our mysterious "benefactors" there has been no sign but my research has not been without success. To date, Micahel and

I have discovered 3 distinct species of extraterrestrial life inhabiting our galaxy. I have been momnitoring the current situation through Lorean and am fully up to speed on the situation. The ship before us is unlike anything we have encountered so far...*

*Whenever you are ready we may begin*

This last sentance, addressed to Micahel is spoken "aloud" through the comm merely for the benefit and comfort of those who are accustomed only to verbal cues. With Lorean and Micahel, the level of intimacy is such that even telepathy is rarely needed. For those who have shared minds, meaning and intent are as obvious and transparent as one's presence. Or so Cody would have you believe...

Michael nods to Cody, "Lets take a seat here, it this could be taxing." He points to a pair of consoles and their seats that are free. He walks over and takes his own seat and waits for Cody to initiate the link. Once the two have joined minds it is plain, both their faces seem to relax as though a tension has gone out of them that was not noticed before. Several minutes pass during which time it is much like watching paint dry. There just isn't anything interesting to see about two men engaged in telepathic scanning.

*PM to Cody*

Cody is the first to open his eyes, not that anynone would notice. His voice breaks in over the comm into the dead air on the bridge. *Interesting*

*The race aboard that ship *is* one that Michael and I have previously encountered. Problem is they are a tribal species, with primitive tech an no prior knowledge of space travel. They either found or were given the ship and the idea of space travel actually terrifies them.*

*They were also responsible for the destruction of the Enterprise and have similar hostil intent towards us. Their aggression stems from that same tribal mindset. Effectively we are encroaching on their teritory. We never thought to warn the Enterprise because their species was planet-locked. In short, they aren't supposed to be here.*

Joani and Ulric just returned to the bridge as Cody materialized in front of them. Ulric still had one arm slung around Joanis waist giving her comfort. Realizing that they weren't private anylonger Joani gently released herself from Ulrics arm and stepped closer to the bridges command console, where Gabriel was seated.

Originally Posted By: *Overload*

*They were also responsible for the destruction of the Enterprise and have similar hostil intent towards us. Their aggression stems from that same tribal mindset. Effectively we are encroaching on their teritory. We never thought to warn the Enterprise because their species was planet-locked. In short, they aren't supposed to be here.*

"You knew about them but didn't think it was worth mentioning? We could've prepared a message in several languages and other means of communication in order to prevent any hostile activities... My Son could have died there and you didn't think it was worth mentioning?!", Joani had difficulties containing her anger. As everyone suddenly went silent she realized her outburst and forced herself to calm down.

"I apologize... but this is...", she didn't finish the sentence, instead waving off her hand at Cody showing her disappointment and lack of understanding for his assessment. Having turned her back to Cody and Michael she added, "Maybe you can device a plan how to solve this matter peacefully."

Happiness? You know nothing of my torment. Andrew fought back the acidic response on his lips. At least that comment confirmed that Cody hadn't been rummaging around in his attic without permission. Andrew contained himself, content with only a sever expression of disproval as Cody laid out what he had known. Before Andrew could even react Joani was saying what he too felt.

Finally Andrew quietly adds his own opinion, "You should have warned us, both of you. There was no need to risk this situation regardless of the perceived lack of threat or not. Dozens of people are dead, people with families, brothers and sisters, sons and daughters." Andrew looks at Michael and Cody, disappointment clear on his face, "Was a little extra secrecy worth it?"

Originally Posted By: *Overload*
*Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated...good to see you, Old Man,* he says to Steve with an implied wink.
Steve smiles back and says,

"You're looking good Cody."

Steve is surprised to hear about the new aliens but only mildly, with at least two other groups of aliens out there a third was to be expected. He raises an eyebrow at Joani's outburst but lets her vent. Steve says,

"Interesting... tribal type people with a space craft. They either stole that from someone, or were given it from someone. But either would mean we have a new player around here somewhere. Potentially a hostile one."

"Cody, are they telepathic? Is that how they messed with the crew?"

Omar couldn't believe what Cody was saying. He had known about more alien races that the rest of them. And he seemed to have known for some time. It was the last sentence of Cody's that perplexed him most, though. "In short, they aren't supposed to be here". He sat and listened to to others, as they voiced their displeasure and shock at his revelations. After a few minutes, Omar spoke.

"I can't imagine they found it and learned how to use it. They would have no idea what it is. That leaves us with the question: Who would give a primitive tribal race, advanced technology?"

Originally Posted By: Ziggurat
"I can't imagine they found it and learned how to use it. They would have no idea what it is. That leaves us with the question: Who would give a primitive tribal race, advanced technology?"
Steve says,

"In theory we might screw up and do something like that. We land, they dominate us, steal our tech and the ship. If that's the case then this might be their only ship. Alternatively, someone doesn't like us and is playing 'arm the natives and stir up trouble.'."

Archived