Aberrant: Dead Rising - Character Concepts

Drew

Hey Zack!

Regarding Niche (this is an issue that has been plaguing me...pun intended.

I have Force Field...but its a very unique build and not projectable. Besides its one of those things that isn't so unique as a defensive power. Go for it I say. I believe Priest has Precog, so check with him. I have played Rifts games with multiple clairvoyants who all get the same crazy Visions of Doom ™ but in Abby it might be stepping on his niche. I don't think we have a telepath yet and that is uber valuable...you can find people easily and distance isn't usually a problem...plus it sidesteps the language barier so you could be in contact with survivors all over the world.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, I can still be the Obnoxious, but Good Looking Boy, even with my Taint of 5, right? I mean, that's not an unreasonable expectation or anything, is it? wink

Actually, I fully expect to be the Bad Boy always in trouble with the Law, whether I wanna be or not.

And welcome on board Zack. This is just me talking, but I wouldn't worry to much about a niche, just make a character you'll enjoy playing cuz it's the personality, not the powers, that'll make 'em stand out.

Originally Posted By: Soma
Hey, I can still be the Obnoxious, but Good Looking Boy, even with my Taint of 5, right? I mean, that's not an unreasonable expectation or anything, is it? wink
Unless you got some mega-socials it is (as that wink says too).

Actually, I fully expect to be the Bad Boy always in trouble with the Law, whether I wanna be or not.
Yours is an interesting case, halfway between monster and god.

And welcome on board Zack. This is just me talking, but I wouldn't worry to much about a niche, just make a character you'll enjoy playing cuz it's the personality, not the powers, that'll make 'em stand out.
I'll second both of that. Welcome Zack.

Don't give me that! Look at you, out all night brooding, looking for trouble, worrying Mom to death! Look at her, all passed out drunk in the corner from concern!

Leaving me here to do everything while you hang with that group of no-goods! Honestly!

How's that?

• 2 weeks later...

I heard back from Drew. It turns out he was waiting for me. My characters powers are pretty much the same, but his background is now totally different. Unfortunatly last week and this week have had me utterly slammed and its been all I could do to keep up with my active games. I am fitting in little bits and pieces of chargen stuff in my free moments. Of course once all thats done, just posting is easy.

Dankes for your patience.

I'm curious what your powers are. Do you really have a permanent Immolate/RippleShield/FF up all the time?

I found the total number of Aberrations abusive, but let's just see how that works out. Unless you you have some really glossy social abilities, I imagine none of the humans with the group will want to be anywhere near you. That, in turn, should influence how other novas interact with you (if they like hanging around their human followers, or just humans in general).

I imagine your character is probably mechanically very tight and lethal. RPing him should prove a challenge.

Couple things to note.

First is most of the aberrations were bought as flaws. He is only at Taint 5.

Second is he has been slowly learning how to bring things *inside* his field. In other words he has attune 5. Not that he has tried this with a person yet...that is for a suitably dramatic moment, ie. when someone is going to die if he doesn't anyways.

Lethal? Maybe...his immolate does bashing though (more knockback...)

So...

Do you think this is the group that will finally accept him??? grin

RE: Permanent Damaging Force Field + Poor Sense

If that's "sight" then we need to worry about you blowing holes in our defenses. It also means you're going to have a hard time getting things.

RE: Black Thumb

Dead crops, dead plants, maybe still born children or birth defects.

RE: Disturbing Voice

So... what would zombies talk like if they could talk?

RE: Adaptability

So like a zombie, you don't actually need to eat.

I think you'll hit the radar as a powerful zombie.

Um...he doesn't look anything like a zombie actually. His voice is unusual because no air gets past the force field, so its actually the force field thrumming that makes the vocalizations. I'm thinking his voice sounds eerie and deep like the Ra character from the original stargate movie. It works well with his Huge Size.

Also his poor sense is smell since he isn't breathing anymore.

Oh yeah and it sucks for any agrarian communities, but look on the bright side...he kills all the buzzing flies and mosquitos! laugh

So do your comments mean we aren't going to be friends?

Originally Posted By: *Overload*
So do your comments mean we aren't going to be friends?
You and me? I think we're good. James is pretty immune to lots of things, and you might be useful outside the fort. But I don't think I'll be welcoming you home.

or he can attune a trailer hitch and haul trailers worth of stuff...
This works pretty well.

He doesnt sleep and he never even sits down! On the other hand he makes a great forager for supplies so long as they are within his attuuned weight limit...
This doesn't. There's 20 cans of beans that you want to take with you. If you have someone else pick them up and put them in a sack, then you can just attune the sack. On your own, you'd better hope those cans are close enough to attune them with the entire shelf, because if you have to attune them one at a time that's 20q. Same comment for opening doors, sneaking around, etc. Your flaws (as I'm sure you know) are seriously painful.

I am considering switching my 5 dots in attune to dormancy for fitting in a tad better. Sure it may not be as pure an ideal as "untouchable" but it may be better for game integration and therefore more fun for me. Your comments made me have misgivings of fun it would truly be to play an outcast..ie not very...

Ack! What are you doing in here deviant?! (j/k...who are you playing in this game Emmie?)

If that was true then a bodymorphed nova couldnt grab anything either or desolid novas. The attunement happens simul with contact. And note that in my post above i mentioned replacing attune with dorm...so not both.

Unless someone objects or starts talking, I think James is going to leap beyond the hoard and lead it away. As I understand it, they head for the nearest person. As big as the compound is, and as everyone is using ranged weapons, he should be able to go out there and be an obvious distraction, while everyone else still fires at them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys - I'm about to join the game - Since Fox is taking over until Drew comes back I sent him my Background and sheet.

I'll update here as soon as things are settled, but I believe my character has already been approved. Lets have a good time smile

• 10 months later...

Drake Santiago Reedman

Weight:170

Height: 5’10”

Eyes: Tainted, shine bright ‘white’ slightly painful to stare at. This is visible in all EM, quantum, or any sort of test designed natural influence will read positive.

Hair: Brown, long and matted, it looks like it is locking itself up

Race: Although he has a grey pallor, his features show both white and Hispanic bloodlines.

Nature: Architect

Concept: Autistic trap maker

Drake was one of the first to experience the effects of the virus. He was a normal high school student, recently moved against his will to Oklahoma, as his dad, Dan, moved to another job. His dad used to work as disaster relief electrician, the first man to help rebuild, but he decided to settle down in his home state as a union worker, so his wife could have their second child in peace. Drake hated the idea of starting a sedimentary life. He was basically a military brat, and loving it. He wasn’t huge about people, but he made friends when he wanted, and besides being one of the brighter kids in whatever school he was attending right then, considered himself ‘average’. Now, he wouldn’t be The New Guy, anymore and he’d have to deal with two years in the same school. It sucked very hard in his opinion and was among the worst things that happened to him in his life. Till about two weeks after he started school, anyways.

He was riding with his mother back home after getting picked up for, school, another small misery; he wasn’t allowed to drive until he got a license in this state. His mother was a seven months pregnant. As they pulled up the driveway, he could tell something was wrong. The front door was open, and blood painted across it. His father was unconscious slumped over on the porch in front of the door. He rushed out to him, and he could see the bubbling, missing chunk of his father’s shoulder that was slowly leaking blood. Small pox marks and scratches littered his face and arms. The worst thing though, that still haunts him, he never was going to get a chance to talk to him again, but he didn’t know that yet. His mother and he struggled to get the unconscious, moaning man into the car. They didn’t know about the homeless man who’d been infected, and turned near their house. They didn’t know that he had come up behind his father on Dan’s lunch break and that he’d been attacked and bit but was able to kill the mindless intruder before succumbing to his wounds. The car ride remains blurry. He remembers that his father’s breathing and moaning, slowed and stopped. Then he remembers his dad moving, reaching for his mother with sharp broken nails. The car flips, and then he passes out.

Archived