Aberrant: Dead Rising - Character Concepts

Drew

Quote:
Sure thing Soma. Also, since Priest and Leo (a woman) are both specials, they can give him a bit of a respite from the "you're way too weird" that normally happens. At the least, Preist and company could have given him a safe ride and hang out at night in the wilderness.
Sounds great, thanks! If anyone else sees a good IC reason why our characters might have met (however briefly), let me know. Drew told me that the game will likely be taking place in the area between Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and Dallas, Texas, so my plan was for Soma to have been travelling more or less parallel to highway 40 until Oklahoma, and then to have turned south along highway 35 which goes down towards Dallas. However, Soma hasn't been traveling in a beeline to any particular direction, so he has a tendency to circle back and forth within a given area for a while before finally moving on. So he likely would have had some contact with a few different enclaves in the area.,,
Quote:
WELCOME TO THE BOARDS SOMA!!!!
Thank you very much, sir!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He would be welcome at Fox's base. Novas who can handle themselves in a fight are always welcome and treated well, even more so than the baselines. If he's met Priest, he has likely also met Fox and stayed at the base for a day or two, or more if he chose.

Quote:
He would be welcome at Fox's base. Novas who can handle themselves in a fight are always welcome and treated well, even more so than the baselines. If he's met Priest, he has likely also met Fox and stayed at the base for a day or two, or more if he chose.
Alright, cool. Soma may be skilled at surviving in the wild, but that doesn't mean he'd turn down a free bed for a night.,,
Quote:
Dude, are you telling me that the world has gone through a zombie holocaust and there are still mimes that survive!!! Sheezh, I had hoped that at least one good thing had come out of it.
Are you kidding? Even zombies would think twice about eating a mime (I know I would if I was a zombie)!

No I have not submitted my character yet...haven't had a moment to write it all down. Besides working like mad for the last few weeks, the Holidays are upon us and in San Francisco that means quite a few social engagements are being atended to. Honestly I think New Years Eve is all hype, and wasn't planning on going out at all. But so many of my friends insisted that by tomorrow night I will have attended at *least* 6 or 7 parties, and barely gotten a wink of sleep. Oh yeah and had to help a friend move apartments today.

Patience appreciated.

Hey Courier, this is probably me just being dense, but what's the SCA (this is regarding your new background character profiles)? Also, what's the reference to one of them being a 'knight'?

Like I say, this is probably one of those obvious things that I should know the answer to, and I'm probably just being a bit slow right now, but I'm curious so if you could help me out here I'd appreciate it.

Society for Creative Anacronism

they are the geeks that get out at the parks and beat each other with padded pvc weapons for kicks. wink Just kidding, they do lots more than just that including such things as ancient craft skills, blacksmithing, weaving, etc. They also organize themselves in kingdoms and have regular tournaments in which hundreds of people fight it out old school (with padded weapons).

Ya, that's them.

I have to admit I'm not a member and only have a vague understanding of how they work. I have personally seen a cute blond female knight show up as a combat expert and make short work of the men (albet on horseback) so I know they do allow women. If you assume she built her own armor (I've no clue) that's basically Jillian ('only' 7 style dice against men).

JoAnna is very loosely based on that "Zee" chick from the Justice League. When I've gone to the occassional SCA festival they've had "magic" shows so I'm sure it's at least allowed.

The general thought was that other than the army (which is obviously being done) who would likely survive our current madness (and who would have useful skills that the novas don't)? And I had two background dots left over, and I wanted them to be friends before the fall so...

Yep, the SCA folks will be among those with useful skills after the zombie apocalypse. I'm betting on Renfair jousters to survive too. wink (I did that for a season a few years ago after I got laid off from an IT job.) I've also known several people in the SCA. The armor that they are likely to have though is not going to be made of metal, it's more likely to be made of canvas and hard plastic. I had a friend that made a suit of armor by cutting up a 55gallon plastic drum and sewing the pieces into some heavy cloth and reinforcing it with a little duc-tape in strategic spots. It was very effective and lighter than steel, and given how hard it is to cut that kind of plastic I doubt real swords could cut it short of mega-strength.

My concepts revolve more around the concept that it was the lucky, and not necessarily the skilled that survived. The problem for the people with the skills initially is what they don't know - that is, what can the zombies do?

Billy Bad-ass with his sword and armor thinks he can handle a zombie or two. Problem is he's never cut through real flesh before. Its a bit harder than it looks. Now a zombie has hold of him. Now its biting on him. He kills that one, but now two others have hold of him and he falls down.

... too late to create your next persona.

I agree that luck would have played a big part, but I think those with the snap to think on their feet or who have trained in survival and fightins skills would have an advantage over those who are merely lucky. So proportionally there should be a good number of the 'skilled' out there, not just the lucky. At this point 6 months out from Z-day, nearly everyone left is either in an enclave or they have at least basic skills now. They'd have to be incredibly lucky to have survived 6 months on just luck.

Originally Posted By: Priest
My concepts revolve more around the concept that it was the lucky, and not necessarily the skilled that survived. The problem for the people with the skills initially is what they don't know - that is, what can the zombies do?

Billy Bad-ass with his sword and armor thinks he can handle a zombie or two. Problem is he's never cut through real flesh before. Its a bit harder than it looks. Now a zombie has hold of him. Now its biting on him. He kills that one, but now two others have hold of him and he falls down.

... too late to create your next persona.
I think that Courier's line of reasoning wasn't so much that these SCA kids would be any more (or less) likely to survive the first few weeks of the outbreak. But several months down the line, whoever *has* survived will be much better off at *continuing* to survive if they have useful skills.
Some Wallstreet Executive might be canny and quick enough to survive the first weeks of the outbreak, but 2 months later when his supplies start running low and his gear starts wearing out, what's he going to do? Well, he's either going to die (bad choice), or he's going to learn how to solve these problems on his own (extremely difficult, even under optimal conditions), or he's going to find someone who already knows how to do these things.
Skilled laborers, farmers, and craftsmen will be the new Upper Class in any post-apocalyptic world.

I could be completely wrong about Courier's line of reasoning however, since I'm not him and I'm not a mindreader, so I apoligize Courier if I'm jumping to conclusions here.

RE: Survival (Short Term)

I assumed (and wrote) that most of the SCA didn't survive. Even most of the knights didn't survive. But IMHO if you look at the survival percentage of people who were able to wear full body armor and use melee weapons and compare that too the survival percentage of people who couldn't and didn't, I suspect it helped. But granted, it's not even close to being the trump card nova powers are.

Presumably Jillian could have gotten bit bit a time or three and bounced them with the armor. Other knights weren't that lucky, all it takes is a scratch and you have a heavily muscled armored zombie on your hands.

On the other hand JoAnna was more lucky (and connected) than good. I'm assuming her dots in firearms were gained in the last 6 months.

RE: Survival (Medium Term)

Many of the people who survived the initial attack will end up as "shut ins". I.e. somewhere with limited food and resources in a building with the doors and windows boarded up and TOTALLY SURROUNDED by zombies. That's a good way to find survivors by the way, look for crowds of zombies around places.

At this point nova powers enter the picture. With a nova around enclaves can merge, gain the key resources they need to take other resources, that sort of thing. As skilled as Jillian is she still needs things like tools and an anvil. Sure she knows where to get those sorts of things, but what really lets her abilities come into play is she can have James retreive those things without too much trouble. Otherwise they'd have to put together a combat force and fight through the zombie hoard.

RE: Survival (Long Term)

As several people have pointed out, the SCA and blacksmithery would really shine here. JoAnna's skills less so, but it's possible her magic (Occult) knowledge might come up. I'm pretty happy with both of their builds. smile Looking back I didn't need to make Jillian James' girlfriend, she works pretty well as just a Knight/Blacksmith, but I wanted an emotional connection in there and I think it makes the character more fun to give her a high Appearence.

Hey, I agree. That's one of the reasons I had two of my NPC's with high engineering, and one of them is a nova with Engineering Prodigy! Inventing, and re-inventing is going to be a big thing.

As for Mr. Wall Street ... he's on his own. No way is Priest willingly going to cross the Mississippi. wink

Another thing to consider is how the scrounging has changed over the past 6 months. Initially, a good number of people could be saved. The problem became on just how much of a stockpile the survivors were able gather (especially water) before being surrounded. The tough part is now finding places that the zombies have surrounded and yet the people have died inside.

Someone who could jump into a surrounded complex and find out if there are still survivors inside would be real handy.

That reminds me; what is the hang-time for Quantum Leap in this game?

Previously in some of the TT game I've been in the time from lift off to landing is about 30 seconds (10 turns) to cover a kilometer. That puts them at 120 kph. I've also seen it been accomplished in one turn, which can rapidly break the sound barrier (2km/3sec. or 2400kph) and faster than everything except Hypermove 5 and thats just for MegaStrength 1.

That's a good point. At 6 months out there aren't going to be many survivors left that have been hold up in some building unless it is a grocery store or something like that.

Question: W

Would the zombies continue to clump around a place they'd chased the living into even long after they were dead, or would they eventually sense that there wasn't any living left and wander off in search of more? We would have figured that out by now I think.

As for Leap, I'd say the nova could jump about half as fast as they could throw their own weight if they chose to, though there is no need to put all their force into any given jump. (Part of throwing something fast is the movement of the arm and the wrist as you release adding extra momentum, wouldn't have that in a jump.)

I think zombies would clump because they sense living flesh on the inside. The implication is that they'd wander off when they no longer did.

RE: Hang time

This is two questions, one for in combat and one for out of combat. I suggest use flight rules for both with Dots in M-Str counting as Dots in Flight.

I've been worrying about that too, because that implies that zombies on the East Coast would be working their way West. You know - right toward us. grin

I guess its how far their Sense-Living-Flesh sense works, but I keep going back to those long line of undead making their way to the Mississippi.

RE: Hang time

So that would be (Quantum + M-Str)x 50kph, or (M-Str)x 50kph? I don't think a 'combat' move would be appropriate since the Leaper can't dodge when in flight.

RE: Flight Speed

OOC it'd be (Quantum + M-Str)x 50kph

IC it'd be 50m + (M-Str x 4m)

RE: Combat Move

The issue is how far can you move to get out of things like Area of Attack effects, and how far can you move in one combat action. The rules specifically say you can do this sort of thing (page 157), but don't address IC movement or distance.

Granted we could just use the OOC movement rate (also not given) and prorate that for 3 seconds, but that gives us pretty large numbers. For example Q=1, M-Str=1 gives us 83 meters traveled in one combat round, thus one combat action.

The Flight rules IMHO give us pretty sane numbers, with the added condition that you can't dodge in the air.

Yanno, I have to admit I was feeling a bit intimidated there for a minute. All of your characters seem so well thought out and characterized, and I was having trouble finding a niche that interetesed me and seemed plausible. Finally I think I have something worthwhile to share.

Going with my idea of being a sort of underworld kingpin type, it occured to me while reading OCurier's SCA description that well-organized crime would also fare pretty well against the zombies...well armed and well equipped, both in resources and the killer instinct to use them...the survivors would be among the more brutal.

Many of you are going for the followers background...I decided it wasn't worth going that route unless we use Adventure! rules so I could take legions...in other words 5 followers still would not a Kingpin make.

While all the traditional organizations would have crumbled, those who knew how they were built in the first place would be able to recreate them with more or less ease. I am thiking my character was a big man in the Black Market Syndicate and when things came crashing down he consolidated what he could and used the resources at his disposal (like Sat-phones) to keep the network from totally disintegrating.

I need some help and feedback about how I would have been able to accomplish this however. I am taking for backgrounds, Resources 5, Contacts 5 and Influence 4. So while he may not be "backed" by the remnants of the military/civilization...they respect and or fear him and many come to him for his assistance or resources.

The idea still needs a bit of work but at least the charsheet is done. if you all could help me fine tune the concept it would be a big help.

Yep. Backgrounds are only half the battle. How are his social abilities. In other words, can he back up his backgrounds?

Having some kind of power that allows him to move easily between enclaves would be handy for someone thinking of maintaining a criminal network. Remember, most enclaves are pretty small (I imagine), thus not prone to having 'some' criminals. Ex-criminals maybe and probably likely, but not active criminals. After all, being a criminal means violating the Law and victimizing people in some manner? What laws are there to break? How is there to victimize?

Also, don't knock Followers. After all, with populations so reduced, five hardened men and/or women are a force to be reckonned with.

Of course, Influence looks like your best friend. It means most people who have reason to know you give you respect.

High contacts does the same thing, except its a mutually acceptable relationship.

Resources are their own reward.

-Of course, you could own an ammunition factory (or really large warehouse).

-You could own an oil pumping station with an adhoc refinery, and thus be probably the only oil baron.

-You could own a ship moving up and down the Red River (it looks pretty big on the map).

-You could run an air network of small planes for the safest possible transport between enclaves.

Basically think about what resources people want and need in the enclaves and how you can fullfill those needs. If you were a criminal before hand then think about what illegal goods would be needed. Say knock-off drugs, firearms, ammo, booze, cigarettes, ect.

Also think about just how you get paid. Its it gold, gems, and jewelry or food, clean water, and services? Or both?

I was trying not to step on the toes of Fox's missle base however...do we need two enclaves in one group? I doubt it.

I admit Im not that good at figuring out post apocalyptic economics. The idea needs work. In our world, the Black Market sort of feeds on the normal markets. IE, whether stolen goods redistribution or the sale of knockoffs, there is still a sort of economy involved and much of it has to do with contacts and connections.

Maybe a lil from column a, b and c? Say he knows some of the surviving smugglers who own that ship, or who still maintain the air fields. Having taken over an oil depot or refinery would certainly be enough to make him valuable to everyone, especially if noone has been able to usurp him (as of now my idea is that he had survived a few assasination attempts/coups already, whether from other gangs or the remnants of the military trying to claim martial law...Im thinking he's got the resources to be quite well armed.)

keep the feedback coming. I suppose it would make sense for him to be in Texas as well if he is an oil man. The trick here is that I didnt see him as an oil man before z-day. I was thinking more like the head of an organization that smuggled weapons and blacktech...since there were novas before z-day maybe even nova tech. Which brings up another good question...how nova-fied was the world prior to z-day?

So yeah...all of the things the underworld would need...weapons, ammo, medical supplies, fuel, etc. Im thinking he specifically stayed away from drugs, booze and ciggaretes...thats a whole nother brand of criminal and i would say he has his own set of ethics. He would however, be happy to supply arms for the drug cartels to kill each other with. In a war, its the weapons merchant who is the only real winner.

Overload, if you have a good Biz score, you might be trying to recreate an economy amongst the enclaves. If you have a product to sell, it gives you a leg up. Oil/gasoline does well there. You could also then take any products produced by one enclave to sell in another. Some enclaves might have skills like a doctor, mechanic, or blacksmith that others need. Another could have drilling equipment (water wells). A third could have sheep and the starts of a wool garment industry.

There are thousands of things that communities could trade and that requires a new Merchant Class (boats and truckers) who could work for (Overload)'s Union. Instead of it being a criminal/Black Market operation, it has become a Market Day operation.

It all depends on how much Resources buys and how Influence being the Market's Boss entails. You still have dozens of people working for you (Contacts), but they aren't an army (that would be Followers). In theory, people could leave the Union, but that might mean retaliation of some kind - just like the Mob of old.

nope. But he should have a fair amount of employees and "muscle" to protect his assets.

Latest thought on how he got to be where he is:

When shit hit the fan, he realized quicker than many the scope of the pandemic (due to his contacts). He could have then staged a takeover of a refinery/storage complex, in order to keep the supply chains going. Since Z-day his work has taken on more of a military aspect...convoys must be well armored and protected and strict zombie protocols put in place..ie: any dead body gets a shot to the head before inspection.

I really like the idea of being a broker between enclaves. Having such a high Biz skill would come in real handy.

How about this, before the crash you were in transportation, specifically shipping. Your central node of operations was a port, and that included a refinery.

Being brutal, ruthless, armed, and lucky you manged to nip the local zombie infestation fairly early. Local geography helped a LOT. The Refinery and port were already hardened against terror attacks and someone was smart enough to stack those big boxes as lego-blockers against the entrances.

I don't remember whether or not you have a transportation power (hypermovement?) but that puts you in a position to try to broker deals and such.

In this case it would be the illegal/smuggling side of transportation (of course it could have had a legit front). This is a great idea and works well for Texas/Gulf of Mexico.

No movement power to start (though he displayed enhanced movement during his eruption he hasn't figured out how to do it again...yet).

I'm liking this idea immensly. Thank you for all the help...I usually don't get so stuck during chargen (mostly cuz other people nabbed my first ideas too quick!)

Would like to hear what Drew thinks of all this, how it will affect/integrate into his setting and the ramifications of having a secondary base of operations, as well as being georgraphically on the coast.

More info:

Main Skills:

Might

(for general badassery + goes well with irrisistable force)

Martial Arts

(Was tempted to go for Brawl but I plan on buying Mega Dex so it's silly not to go for MA)

Streetwise

(Understanding the Underworld...unsure of how it will translate post apocalyptically)

Rapport

(I like the idea of playing someone who gets people..useful skill)

Biz

(Money Money MOney Money!)

Diplomacy

(Dealing with the highbrows as well as the low)

Command

(So his people do what he says, general presence)

other skills: drive, firearms, awareness.

I noticed that I am lacking a few that might be good. In particular Subterfuge. Should I sub out one of the other skills, like command or diplomacy for it? Or do y'all think it won't matter?

Have I overlapped signifigantly with anyone? Any glaring omissions?

Archived