Aberrant: The Long March - Chapter 6: Making History

Mr Fox

Ulric nods.

"I will tell you what to do. In big bold letters in your mind, tell him this: Leave Matthew alone. If you mess with him anymore, you will jeapordize our meeting with you. Harm him in any way, and we will know."

Looking sternly,

"Relay that message in whatever means you have to communicate with him. He will get it and he knows just how hard we will come down on him. You are with us, but this is the best I can do for you right now."

It was a hard to leave the man hanging, but there was still a long way to go in this Cat and Mouse battle with the Sphynx. Matthew would have to be risked somewhat in the greater scheme of things.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*I don't like that option Ulric. If we leave Matthew here...even if he gets that message he will be able to see matthew's entire memory of our conversation..and he will know what we are planning and who we are. At this point I see little choice but to remove Mr. Satterfield from the game until we meet our Sphynx. The risk is too great and we have worked too damn hard...*

Ulric hesitates in the hallway.

*Our resources are finite, though expansive. Lorean tells us that hiding someone is energy extensive ... but

He looks at Matthew,

"My better angels have appealed to me. The risk to you is indeed great. Pack your bags. Tell your butler that you both are going on a trip to the country for no more than two weeks. Time is tight so both of you pack and come back here. We will leave together."

"The place you are going is safe, but a tad boring. Make sure to let my man," motioning to Cody, "know what you might need for entertaining reading."

Matthew sighs in relief. "Thank you for all you are doing, now that I know better, I feel terrible that you have to come to me this way and save my sorry self. I will pack a few books from my library that I've been meaning to read but never got around to. Give me 15 minutes and we will be ready to go."

The time passes quickly and the tea and scones are surprisingly good and soon Matthew stides in with the butler following with a steamer trunk and another smaller case for himself. When everyone has arrive you are all transported to the ship where Matthew and his servant are placed directly in his own room.

On the bridge when you both arrive and join the others Lorean the hologram speaks, "I am now running at a slight deficit of energy and I can only maintain this the shields for a few days at most."

*Don't worry Lorean, you won't have to maintain our parasite's cell for too much longer...*

Cody makes his way to the cell, grabbing Omar along the way for backup.

*We need to have a safe word, in case one of us is compromised. How about something that hasn't been invented yet...like "Microsoft."*

With Lorean's admission, they enter the room and Cody probes into the mind of the possesed maid. Standing over her he unleashes a psionic scream into the possesing conscioussness.

*WAKE UP VERMIN!*

Even as he does this he begins to psiphon off her quantum energy reserves...

Walter let his face sink into the palms of his hands. The future, he had decided, was a big, scary, complicated, scary, bewildering, wonderful, scary place. That was also scary. Oh, and big.

He had just spent the last seven hours learning things. It had hurt.

Eyes unfocused, hair mussed, and dressed in pajama bottoms and nothing else, he staggered out of his room, zombie-like and craving foooooood.

He found a veritable get-together, most familiar faces, at least one not. And in situations such as this, there is only one thing to say: "What the hell is going on and why is there not food in my face right now?"

Lorean lets a gas flow into the room to bring the prisoner back to consciousness. She awakes slowly over the course of a couple minutes, by the time she is awake Cody and Omar have entered the room through the door she created for them. Cody stands unconcerned not caring what she sees, but Omar by his physical presence is the very picture of menace and stands as if ready to do violence.

Cody projects his thoughts at the woman, but even in her current state her defenses are surprisingly strong. As Cody presses harder and draws quantum from her she looks a bit strained, but then speaks.

With obvious strain in her voice but with no obvious fear, "There really is no need for that, can't we just chat in a pleasant manner? How long have I been unconscious?"

Omar stared at the slight woman as if she was prey. With one hand, he could crush the life out of the woman and put an end to this body snatcher. Before he did, he would get some information from her.

"We didn't come here for pleasantries." Omar says with a pissed-off look on his face. He had be working himself up to an angry boil on the way here, and now it was starting to spill over. The muscles in his large arms and chest pulsed with power. His ham sized fists were white and shaking. "And as for how long you were out... That is none of your concern. I would enjoy nothing more than to put you back down. So if you want to keep your health, you will tell us what we want to know know. I will start with the hands, and work my way up your arm. At some point the body you have stolen will fail..when it does, you will die." To show that he is strong enough, he crushes a cue ball that he brought from the pool table in the game room.

(Awe Inspiring- Intimidation)

*Easy Omar...that host body is innocent in all of this...*

Still best to be prudent...

*Lorean, can you recall Morgan to the ship? We might need to heal this poor maid's body. Unfortunately making her fear for her life...via the life of the host may be our only way to get her out. One way or another once we do get her out please isolate the maid and give her medical attention...Steve already had to deck her pretty good. I'll deal with her psychological wounds later, before we send her back. In the meantime I'll keep trying to get inside her mind while Omar has her distracted.*

Cody goes for another telepathy attempt, spending a WP point this time and then follows up with another energy psiphon, keeping himself at full power and then some.

This woman is strong, very strong. After all Cody's efforts, he manages to draw another 4 quantum from her, but makes no headway with her mind, though he can feel that she is just barely holding him out on a couple of the attempts.

Despite the struggle between her and Cody she looks up at Omar, "Kill me if you must, but know that if I die you're conspiracy will be doomed. I've taken measures to insure that should I not contact certain allies they will release all the information I have amassed so far in such a way that your control of the media will not stop it from reaching the populace. Now can we speak like civilized people or do you plan to torture the host I'm in?" She is remarkably cool in her attitude given her circumstances.

*Omar WAIT!*

*I think we inadvertantly nabbed our mastermind. If we harm them we will only confirm their thoughts about our villainy. We are dealing wth another superior intellect. He or she might even have become pure psychic energy, unable to exist in a seperate body.*

*Lorean, could you please modify the cell to include a holo-viewer? Cue up footage of the worst of the Aberrant War, China's Ultimatum, and the final Armageddon we witnessed.*

Lorean responds, "Certainly." A moment later the hologram appears along with Lorean's voice, "What you are going to witness are scenes from a future earth in a different timeline. What we are trying to prevent from happening in this world. Please view them and consider what we are trying to avoid."

For the next 15 minutes Lorean plays a carefully selected series of images and videos giving explanation for each. "This is what this world is destined to experience without our intervention. We have already prevented the economic collapse of the early 30s and it seems that World War II has been avoided as well. However, as one of my collegues recently pointed out, World War I and II combined are tiny scirmishes compared to the final war in the middle of next century between 'specials' and baselines. We are trying to prevent that and prepare Earth for an attack from without as well." She shows the further images of the devistated Earth's that you have visited with images of the asteriods on course for Earth.

Originally Posted By: Ziggurat
Omar walks up to Joani as she marvels at the earth. "She is quite the site." Omar wanted her to relax. She was about to learn a lot of things that would test everything she thought she knew. He had seen it in the others. As one of the senior members, Omar wanted to make her feel at home.

"I have seen many earths." Omars voice was a deep baritone. "Next to the earth in my universe, this earth is my home." He wanted to break the information to her a piece at a time. "I know it may sound bizzare, but if you can handle what is to come, you can have Lorien...she's our sentient ship...show you what we know. It is no substitute for living in those times or places, but I can help."

Joani looks up to Omar and tries to smile. These people actually cared for her and that was a good feeling for a change.

"I thank you for your kind words. This all may seem bizarre but its not as much disturbing as the last year. If it were only for the last year, I wouldn't be worried - but that parasite has also taken my life... I can't remember anything that happened before she took over my body. I could aswell be from the future, it makes as much sense as what you said right now. It could be the truth, it could be a lie to keep me thinking I'm safe." after giving it a litte thought.
"But I trust you genuinely - what else can I do?" she was again struggling with tears but didn't want Omar to see it so she turned around to face the hologram again. Earths sight gave her a sense of peace.

Cody was right. If this was the mastermind they were searching for, then violence would show him out bad intentions. Omar really did not like to resort to torture, but having experienced if firsthand, he knew the techniques. If someoen was going to do it, you might as well have someone who knew how to do it. He was almost relieved that he had to step back from a bonecracking session with this parasite. Almost.

Omar stood in silence as the images of the Aberrant war, and the later armageddom by the asteroid, flashed by on the hologram. Seeing the images again felt like visiting the grave of an old friend. He waited until it was over to speak again.

Still seething, Omar leans down to the much smaller maid. "I hope you took all that in, because this is what you were trying to cause." he was still ready and willing to break her in two. "Now you know, why we are willing to resort to such 'unsavory' methods. Your life, compared to that of billions is meaningless. All of our lives are. History needed to be changed."

Omar continues. "Now that you know. Will you leave the maid's body, so she can have her life back?"

Steve listens in to the interrigation but leaves the transmitter off. Too many cooks and all that.

He comments to the bridge,

"The Body Snatcher is the Mastermind? And a telepath? You know, it's annoying when I'm wrong but my luck steps in and hands over a victory anyway."

Steve gives a half smile as something occurs to him,

"No, wait. She was hiding in plain sight. I picked up what she thought I would, reasoned as she thought I should... so she out thought me. Apparently herself as well."

Steve looks again at Joani, concerned. He's not sure if she sees the implications of this. Joani had been abused for a year just to play a part in some game. Worse, they migth have to let her abuser go.

Andrew shrugs noncommitally as Cody and and Omar head to talk to the maid, there's little he could do without being in danger. At time like this he feels somewhat useless and in many ways that galls him worst of all.

A short time later Walter arrives followed by the food Andrew ordered from the mess. "Well folks unless you all want to watch an interrogation why don't we have a meal and maybe get to know the new folks?"

Andrew takes a heaping pile of food and grabs a chair at the conference table. With little more ceremony than that he begins to eat.

A short time later he begins to speak "Joani, you can do whatever you want. Maybe not literally, although that is eventually possible I am told, but in this brave new world there is nothing to prevent a woman like you from doing whatever pleases you.

"I don't have the head for politics and subterfuge that Steve and the others have but I have placed myself within arms reach of the greatest scientific minds of the century and we are pushing the bounds of science and technology.

"What were your hopes and dreams before you came into your powers?"

Joani joined Andrew at the table but didn't take some food. She still was emotionally to messed up to actually feel any hunger.

Originally Posted By: Andrew Murphy

"What were your hopes and dreams before you came into your powers?"

"I'd love to tell you, but I can't... remember" her voice almost trailing of to the inaudible.

"Its like waking up... only you don't know what happened yesterday. I feel empty and after I found out, that I had been possessed by some parasitic telepath it feels even worse. I'm caught between anger and thoughts of revenge for what she did to me and the feeling of being absolutely helpless." she takes a glass and fills it with water. After taking a little sip she continues.

"But I do know that killing her is wrong. Murder is wrong.", turning around to face the hologram of Earth she says,"I can't tell you what my hopes and dreams were before I changed... before I was given these incredible powers but I feel deeply responsible for the wellbeing of Earth and its people. If I could only put my powers to help humankind - but I swore to remain hidden.", the last words sounding rather sad and disappointed.

"I understand completely, there are times when it is hard for me as well, my gifts, well they are mostly internal. That makes it easier, and I do what I can using my skills and knowledge, but when I work with people who don't know what I can do ..." Andrew extrudes a trendril and uses it to reach clear across the room and grab another scoop of scrambled eggs. "Well lets just say that I feel handicapped not using my abilities.

"You need to heal, and you need to be with people you care about and who care about you. We can use the Æon files and, unless it was tampered with, we can find your family and uncover your past. I'll help you, I'm no good to Steve, Cody, and the others at the moment anyways. I can at least help you though, and that has to be worth something."

She listened to Andrews words but her mind was on a different subject. Almost interrupting him she said absentmindedly "You know something... that telepath knew, that I had the desire to expose myself and use my powers to help humanity. It didn't need much subterfuge to convince me that it was a good idea... I'm so naive..."

Ulric seems intent on the activities of Cody and then Cody and Omar versus the Maid. He watches the interrogation with a craftsman's eye.

"Verdammter Hurensohn ..." breaks the near silence.

"Do we really have her?" he says to no one in particular then takes a deep breath. Ulric finally looks around the room at his surroundings. He nods to Walter and gives a ghost of a grin at his quest for food. He then catches the tail end of Joani's converstation with Andrew. Ulric comes over, his black leather trenchcoat surrounding him with a cloak of authority.

"Fraulien," he says. His heels click together and he bows slightly.

"So you are Super Girl - Miss Walters," he corrects himself.

"What do you think of our current situation? We have this criminal who is attempting to blackmail us for her freedom. Do we judge her intentions as well as her actions? The world at large is not yet ready to hold her to accounts on her criminal actions. So what are we to do?"

Behind those gentle blue eyes is a burning intellect, Ulric can sense it. After all, if the reports of her negotiations are to be believed ...

In the cell, the woman is silent for a time watching and learning. "Hmm... this give me much to think on. I knew there was a conspiracy, and I knew there was a secret cabal behind what was happening all over the world, but I did not know that you had foreknowledge or that you were working for a purpose other than creating a power base from which to rule. Honestly, I had assumed the worst of you, and I therefore intended to take the reigns of power from your hands and rule in your place. I do understand necessity and the need to do what is unpleasant for a greater purpose, I have done things over the last few years that I regret, but that I deemed 'necessary'. I will tell you, however, that there are certain things you must know before we continue. First, I have made arrangements for the conspiracy to be revealed to the public if I do not make contact with my associates by a certain time. Second, I must have a body. I cannot survive outside of a host. I tell you this so that no 'mistakes' are made here, and so that you understand that no matter what you decide to do, I require a host and will not voluntarily go to my own destruction just because you want me out of this body."

Originally Posted By: Ulric Reikspar

"Fraulien," he says. His heels click together and he bows slightly.
"So you are Super Girl - Miss Walters," he corrects himself.
"What do you think of our current situation? We have this criminal who is attempting to blackmail us for her freedom. Do we judge her intentions as well as her actions? The world at large is not yet ready to hold her to accounts on her criminal actions. So what are we to do?"

Behind those gentle blue eyes is a burning intellect, Ulric can sense it. After all, if the reports of her negotiations are to be believed ...

Joani stands up as she recognizes the President and quickly courtsies. (sp?)

"You are part of this??... That makes sense, though." she tries to center herself and not appear the total wreck she mentally was.

"I must apologize - I'm still not sure about what your goals are, so my assessment of this is rather random. Blackmail is a question of conscience. If you have something to hide from the populace, then it usually doesn't make much difference if the truth is revealed sooner or later. There will always be someone, at least, who will take offense. Have you ever thought about gradually revealing the truth? Picking "Super-foke" who are absolutely trustable and incorruptible. Incorruptible from without aswell as from within. A true paragon of virtue."
She sounded almost as if she thought herself to fit the description.

Ulric chuckles then clarifies so that Joani isn't offended.

"You are preaching to the choir, Miss Walters. Since this mess began I've been advocating that we go public - or at least more public. Like you, I am a native of this timeline. I've been part of the Cabal for the past ten years, by the way."

He listens to the Interview for a moment, shaking his head.

"It is my belief that this will happen again. We will be confronted by someone trying to unmask the conspiracy. We need a stronger position and I believe our work over the past ten years give us that. Sure, the situation is far from ideal, but we are not Gods. We can't be everywhere, watching everyone. Verdammt, we are advocates of Individual Free Will."

Ulric gives Joani a sly look.

"Do you have any Police exerience? See, I have this idea for a new, international police force. At the moment, I've recruited exactly one other nova, but ... if you are interested?"

Ulric gives Joani a sly look.

"Do you have any Police exerience? See, I have this idea for a new, international police force. At the moment, I've recruited exactly one other nova, but ... if you are interested?"

Joani looks to the floor, obviously still out of touch with everything.

"I hoped you could tell me if I had? My life is a complete blank - tabula rasa - except the last year and my training at Aeon shortly after my eruption. I can't even tell how I erupted..." it was bugging her, that she couldn't remember but she tried to keep it to herself.

Lorean smiles and walks over to Joani with a stack of papers, "I can at least put your mind to rest on that item. Aeon has records of your eruption. It seems you were involved in a plane crash. It was on a new series of passenger liners and there was a problem with the structure and the back end of the plane almost ripped off. You erupted and literally held the plane together until it could land, you saved many lives in the process." Pushing the stack of papers across the table to Joani, "Here is everything we have on you. I'm afraid it isn't much, but it was detailed by Aeon shortly after your eruption, apparently before you lost your memory. It will not replace your memories, but at least you will know your origins if not remember them."

Ulric reaches out a hand to comfort Joani.

"The past is behind us. We must move forward and look to a brighter future. Use what you have and what you do know about yourself. You have a host of possibilites before you. Reach out and take them."

"In time, you will know the rest of your past and make peace with it. I can't say that I know your pain. If I could mediate it, I would. We now know your first instinct was to do good - save lives. What I can do is help you from here on out, as a friend."

Ulric gives her some time to study the report before continuing.

"Now, you mentioned recruiting some Paragons of Virtue to be the face for the Specials. What would we be looking for in applicants? What kinds of personalities, capabilities, and goals? Who would do the chosing?"

"Is there a name? Or do we refer to you as 'The Maid?" Omar didn't want to tell him that they had already started to unravel his network of contacts and co-opted them to their cause.

"Since you had no knowlege that we benefitted from foresight, or what our intentions are, you would be revealing 'A Conspiracy', but not 'The Conspiracy'...if you can call it that. As for seizing the reigns of power? You have misunderestimated us. And frankly, if you did manage to take over, you would find yourself in over your head. You would soon be screaming to have us back at the reigns as the world collapses around you. History would resume its normal course, and humanity would be destroyed. Being from the future, we are able to put history in context. To you, none of it has happened. It is fiction. To us, it is a reality."

"Since you need a body to live, we have no choice but to let you keep the one you are in. You will not inhabit Joani's body anymore. The one you are in now, is the one you stay in. If you earn out trust, you will be able to take another body."

Omar squatted down to her eye level. "Now...we want to know who your associates are." Omar paused for an answer. He did not expect one to be forthcoming. "Because of your past actions, we hope you understand why we can't just release you. We plan on revealing ourselves. But only when humanity is ready. We need to prevent your associates from telling the world. To do it earlier will cost countless lives. Do you want that on your conscience?"

Ulric gives her some time to study the report before continuing.

Joani takes the stack of papers and hesitates taking a look at it. Somehow she was afraid of reading something that she couldn't remember or even worse, something she didn't like.
Looking to Ulric she answers "Maybe I should take my time reading this, I don't feel comfortable right now.

"Now, you mentioned recruiting some Paragons of Virtue to be the face for the Specials. What would we be looking for in applicants? What kinds of personalities, capabilities, and goals? Who would do the chosing?"

"I don't think that I'm in any position to make suggestions. As you all witnessed I've been susceptible to mental control and that is a very dangerous weakness. I do very strong believe in the values of virtue and want to dedicate my life to reaching that ideal. Most importantly the Paragon in question must be someone who puts his own benefit and advantage behind everything else. He must be completely dedicated or else the populace would find a weak spot and tear him apart. Can anyone claim that he can uphold such values, no matter what? I mean truly and unconditioned?" she was addressing everyone present.

The woman eyes Omar with a hard expression on her face. "I think you underestimate me, with my abilities and allies I could easily run the world at least as well as you if not better, I am smarter than anyone I have ever met. Give me your knowledge and I could better what you hope to accomplish. As for giving up my allies to you, that is out of the question, with that information I no longer have any value to you and could be disposed of easily. We appear to be in the classic standoff situation, you will not trust me unless I give you everything, but I will not trust you with everything because then you can kill me." She smiles slyly, "Allow me to contact my allies and I will tell them to postpone the release of the information."

"Miss Walters, none of us are perfect. We all have our faults. The test is in how we live with them - how we master them instead of having them master us. You can not let a fear of fault keep you from doing what's right!"

"So ... you failed to keep a master manipulator out of your mind and body? Get a grip, young lady. Do not let her make you a victim long after the fact. You are much more than what she did to you. I believe you are so much more."

"I believe in you. My friend Omar has this saying A man, or woman of character will make himself, or herself, worthy of any position he is given. Now, after all you have been through, you are staying the Hand of Vengeance and looking to make your life have meaning once more. All you need is to believe in yourself."

Lorean smiles at Joani, "I think you should read Superman. It is comic book about just such a paragon, it is fictional, but it is exactly what you are referring to. We have been very careful with what we have released to the public so far, we don't want to give people the idea that Specials can be villains just as easily as heroes. We want any reference to those like you to be positive so that when we do 'go public' with the information that you exist there will not be panic and fear. We want the people to welcome you as brothers and sisters. We also don't want them to try and force you into service for the people, we want that service to be a choice and be the preferred choice. Thus we have created the education programs that have been implemented around the world for the last decade or so. In fact, your very attitude is a testament to the fact that it is working. Matthew as well, our other guest, who has been used by the sphinx, although not abused the way you were. Even he, despite his ulterior motives basically wants to use his powers for the benefit of others, although he is motivated by the recognition that he will receive as a result. That desire to do good with your abilities is what we are hoping for, it is what will lead to this timeline being different from the ones where everything fell apart and war resulted from the fear."

Is this person for real? Omar said to himself, in aghast at this person's arrogance.

"I think you underestimate your present situation." Omar replied with a laugh, as a slight smile appeared on his face. "Do you even know where you are right now?"

Omar sends a message over the link to Steve and the others. * She says that her allies will release the information on our existence unless we let her go to warn them. If we let her go, I believe she will tell everyone. She thinks she can run the world better than us and plans to do just that. See if Matthew can help us round up her other cohorts. Get that Chinese guy too. The 'Maid' will not readily give them up.

Both Ulrics and Loreans words gave Joani confidence. Not only were these people caring for her, they had the same goals at least on a meta-level.

"I would gladly read about this "Superman". He must be very inspiring. I also would like to read about your timeline and the catastrophes your friend mentioned earlier. I understand, that without proper education and selfawareness such powers could corrupt and lead to such a terrible outcome." then her mean darkened again.

"Are you sure, that you can really make a difference? Timetravel seems to be dangerous enough in theory. Isn't there a theory that whatever you try to change in the past, that the future will be affected but not ulteriorly avoided. For example - if you got rid of... lets say a dictator, it may take him out of the game, but maybe his goals would be picked up and followed through by someone else. How do you want to make sure, that this does not happen, without being ever vigilant? The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." Joani seems definitely interested and motivated to make a difference.

"I only fear, that something like a world war is too complicated in its nature to be averted - maybe postponed."

Lorean smiled and reached across the table to briefly squeeze Joani's hand. "We've seen enough timelines that we know there can be major differences. Beyond that, it is true that major movements have a momentum of their own and simply removing a tyrant will not stop the injustice in the system that underpins his power. Think of this as like a ship, the larger the ship the harder it is to turn and the longer the turn takes once begun, but if you are at the wheel you can turn it. By knowing the future that would have occurred we knew what changes to make to turn this vast ship in the direction we wanted it to go. After more than a decade the we have only moved it a few degrees off it's original course, but it is turning and we've already done enough to ensure that we won't hit the first rocks that we would have run aground on." Lorean laughs at her own speech, "Listen to me going on, using ship metaphors. Still the comparison is apt. We have completely avoided the first obstacles but others remain."

Steve frowns and says,

"Oh, Drat! Both Omar and Cody are going to play 'Bad Cop', so they need a 'Good' one in there. That's my Que, I'll be back."

Steve rushs down to the holding cell.

"Lorean, I need you to make an air-lock style entry for me to walk in."

Archived