Aberrant: The Long March - Chapter 6: Making History

Mr Fox

Originally Posted By: Joani Walters
Joani nods slightly... "Actually the whole last year... maybe even longer..." (truth)
She looks to the floor obviously struggling with herself. "If I get my hands on whoever did that to me...", her voice trembling with anger.

Then she looks up and meets Steves eyes "Did Aeon send you?", a faint of hope swinging with her words.

Steve says,

"A Year!?! And basically yes, we work with and sometimes for Aeon. When you went all public, well, it was up to us to look into this. But a year? Please, tell me about it."

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somehow she trusted Steve and suddenly the words just seemed to pour out of her.

"I remember how I erupted, I remember being picked up by Aeon - I even remember their training and all the "we-must-be-careful-and-hide-our-true-natures-from-the-public-eye, until-the-day-comes-and-humanity-will-know-the-truth." speeches. I always thought what are my powers good for, if I'm not allowed to put them to do some good? I remember all these little things so well... as if they happened yesterday... but...but..." she struggles for words and seems to fail, tears welling up in her eyes.

Frustrated she starts anew.

"The next thing I remember is waking up with absolutely no clue - total black out. I found some personal stuff, which must've belonged to me, but it didn't make much sense and suddenly I started dating actors and producers in Hollywood... I feel so stupid now..." she is on the brink of crying.

Steve makes soothing sounds and says,

"Shh... It's ok. Really, it'll be ok."

Steve pauses, looks at Andrew, and says,

"Joani, right now I see three possibilities for what's happened here. That doesn’t mean there aren’t others, but I want you to think about these and see if any make sense. The first, well, it’s possible before you erupted your thoughts were normally pretty jumbled. Some people are like that. Eruption didn’t change that… until all of a sudden, it did. Your mind got its act together and boom, your thoughts are quantum powered now. Suddenly everything is obvious and you don’t understand what or why you acted the way you did before. If that’s the case then you’re basically a different person.”

“The other explanations are grimmer. Does dating actors and producers seem... out of personality for you?”

Steve waits and sees how Joani is taking this.

(London, England - bit past Noon)

They walked up the street from an alleyway two blocks down. Ulric kept the collar of his black trenchcoat upturned to both keep out the early afternoon shower as well as make it difficult for him to be identified. He held an umbrella up for himself and Cody. It was warm for a London day in winter, which was to say it was cold, raining, and miserable.

They came to the address. They had gained enough wear on them to fool the casual observer as to how they got this far in the city without a coach or cab. Ulric nodded to Cody then walked up to the door. He knocked on the door and waited for the servant to respond.

When the butler answered the door, Ulric met him squarely in the eyes.

"I am here to talk to Mathew Satterfield," he commanded imperiously. "Inform him it is a most important matter."

The butler almost stumbles back, his awe losing to Ulric's dominating presence.

"This way sir," the butler manages.

Once the butler takes them to a waiting room with a roaring fireplace, Ulric has one further command.

"Tell Herr Satterfield that I am someone important, but not who

I am. Are we clear?"

Again, his statement was not a request, but a command.

Cody folows behind Ulric, as if his gentleman. His attire had been carefully chosen to project the wealthy livery of a servant: classy, yet not to overshdow his "employer."

As always, the whispers of many minds float through his mind like ghosts, revealing intentions subliminally to Cody's 6th sense.

Upon entering the house, Cody does a scan of the entire premises, locating any and all minds within the household. Upon locating Mr. Satterfield Cody delves in fully, listening in on the man's thoughts in order to preempt any escape attempt.

Originally Posted By: Courier

"Joani, right now I see three possibilities for what's happened here. That doesn’t mean there aren’t others, but I want you to think about these and see if any make sense. The first, well, it’s possible before you erupted your thoughts were normally pretty jumbled. Some people are like that. Eruption didn’t change that… until all of a sudden, it did. Your mind got its act together and boom, your thoughts are quantum powered now. Suddenly everything is obvious and you don’t understand what or why you acted the way you did before. If that’s the case then you’re basically a different person.”

“The other explanations are grimmer. Does dating actors and producers seem... out of personality for you?”

With a heavy gulp Joani suppresses her impulse to cry and nods while she tries to access the information Steve asked for.

Her eyes frantically focus and unfocus until she gives in and with a burst starts to cry. "I can't!... It's all gone!... I... I..." she gasps for air, "I can only recall the last year (sobs), and even that only hazy. I can't remember ever being much into movies."

She stands up and turns away from the two men, embarressed by the total loss of selfcontrol. Slowly she calms down. "I'm sorry... I can't tell you what happened before my eruption... its... gone..." her voice sounding extremely sad as she realizes the truth.

With a heavy gulp Joani suppresses her impulse to cry and nods while she tries to access the information Steve asked for.

Her eyes frantically focus and unfocus until she gives in and with a burst starts to cry. "I can't!... It's all gone!... I... I..." she gasps for air, "I can only recall the last year (sobs), and even that only hazy. I can't remember ever being much into movies."

She stands up and turns away from the two men, embarressed by the total loss of selfcontrol. Slowly she calms down. "I'm sorry... I can't tell you what happened before my eruption... its... gone..." her voice sounding extremely sad as she realizes the truth.

Andrew remains within the flabby body he had crafted, No point in showing my face, as it is we may have a problem if the Sphynx has been manipulating her this far what with Steve's face now in her mind. Andrew sighs stands beginning to pace the small room as he listens to the rest of the young lady's story.

"Joani, I am sorry," he says finally, all traces of jovility out of his voice. He is genuinely sorry for this girl who has clearly been used by the somebody.

Andrew leans over to Steve, "join me outside for a moment?"

"Excuse us for a moment," he says to Joani and they exit the room.

Outside Andrew says to Steve, "Is she telling the truth? If so this Sphinx may be more powerful that we first assessed."

She watched the two men leaving the room contemplating her situation. No matter how hard she tried to remember what happened before her eruption she simply couldn't. It seemed almost as if she had no life, no parents, no origin before the incident.

Trying to calm down she wiped away the tears and closed her eyes to regain her composure.

Get yourself together, Joani. Gotta be strong now.

Still a little bit suspicious about everything she used her X-Ray-Vision to keep track of the two gentlemen and suppressed the urge to try to listen to what they were talking.

(Hi-End EM Scan active)

Only briefly stepping out with Andrew Steve replies,

"She is, and you should look up 'Scarface' in the data logs."

Steve steps back and says,

"Joani, when did you... 'wake up'? When did things become clear for you and when did you realize you'd been manipulated?"

"It felt like blacking out, shortly after I completed my training at Aeon. I should've been suspicious right away, but instead I thought it was a good idea to get involved in the moviebusiness, since I've changed." she looked down at herself and struck a little pose to emphasis how she changed.

"That's about a year ago. Lately I got bored with just dating actors and producers, so I decided to get involved in acting myself. I realized about two days ago that I had been setup. I woke up with a strange sense of dread - as if I spent the last year with doing nothing of real importance. Then I thought how stupid it was to violate one of Aeons directives and reveal myself to the citizens of New York by flying around at New Years eve. Ever since things kept getting clearer and clearer. I'm convinced that someone made me do all those stupid things."

After giving it a small pause she added "All that is sooo not like me. I would never do such things if I was in my right mind."

Originally Posted By: Andrew Murphy
Andrew gives Steve a confused look, "You mean that movie? The one with Edward James Olmos?" He shakes his head and reenters the room behind Steve.
Steve winces and says, "Make that ScarCrow." *Lorean, would you please look up and tell Andrew about Scarcrow from my original reality. He was in the news in 2002 or so fighting Pax.*

Back inside, Steve sighs at what Joani says, this was what he'd been thinking and he's about to be the bearer of bad news. Steve says,

"OK... the good news is I think I know what happened. I could be wrong, I'm working off limited information and... well... I could be wrong. But... brace yourself."

Steve takes a breath,

"Normal domination, or mind control, is rare and it's effects are short term. It can't be done for long periods of time because it takes a lot of concentration and people need to eat, sleep, and answer the phone. Basically running two bodies is very hard."

"However, there's a rare varient which works differently. The controller doesn't need to run two bodies because they actually become the victim. They step inside and the victim's personality is submerged while this is happening."

"So... if you wanted to be in movies, you could take over someone who had a perfect body."

"There's a ethical telepath I work with. I had him mind probe you to find out what was going on. That was roughly two days ago. I think at that point whoever did this realized they were about to be caught and jumped ship."

"However, there's a rare varient which works differently. The controller doesn't need to run two bodies because they actually become the victim. They step inside and the victim's personality is submerged while this is happening."

"So... if you wanted to be in movies, you could take over someone who had a perfect body."

"There's a ethical telepath I work with. I had him mind probe you to find out what was going on. That was roughly two days ago. I think at that point whoever did this realized they were about to be caught and jumped ship."

Joani was shocked by Steves words and felt as if someone had hit her really hard in the stomach "I think I'm going to throw up..."

She looked at him helplessly trying to comprehend the extend of his statement while shaking her head in disbelieve.

Andrew looks confused until he receieves a communication from Lorean informing him about the Scarcrow, "Oh ... crap."

Andrew shakes his head, this is far worse than he had thought, granted he expected that this woman had been under some very powerful telepathic control or, more likely, a rider personality programmed in by this Sphinx person. Then again that could still be the case, best not to jump to too many conclusions.

Originally Posted By: Joani Walters
Joani was shocked by Steves words and felt as if someone had hit her really hard in the stomach "I think I'm going to throw up..."

She looked at him helplessly trying to comprehend the extend of his statement while shaking her head in disbelieve.
Steve's actions flow as he smoothly steps over, picks up a waste paper basket, steps back and hands it to Joani. (Fast Tasks On)

He says, "Feel free."

As Steve watches Joani in concern and waits for her to get her balance, he mentions to Andrew,

"Crap indeed. And I don't think our Body Jumper is our Sphinx. Hanging out with the Hollywood crowd is hard to reconcile with a heavy involvement in politics and economics."

"And to make matters worse, she is still out there and will do it again. Heck, maybe she already has."

Steve does some node pings to see if there are any novas nearby.

She refused Steves offer and put the basket on the table.

"It's ok... I just remembered some dates which I rather wouldn't like to remember... god, those guys must've thought that I'm desperate." She shook her head, trying to get rid of some unpleasent pictures in her mind.

After regaining her balance she addressed both men "I'm not going to do nothing about this. You obviously are after this culprit, too and I'm much more than inclined to put this madness to an end. Whoever is responsible for this, he took my past and wasted a year of my life - I'm not going to let him get away with this."

Her voice sounding confident and determined.

*Hollywood*

You don't detect any novas except for yourselves and Joani. Andrew returns a very odd signature, but you are used to that, has to do with him not having any traditional organs. It's like his entire body is a node, although extremely diffuse.

*London*

(Only two other minds in the building, the butler and Satterfield, the butler is very excited to have the President of the EU in the house. Satterfield is unconcerned and reading the morning paper.)

The butler hurries into the kitchen where Satterfield is finishing his breakfast and addresses his gentleman. "Sir, I hate to disturb your breakfast, but the appointment you've been waiting for has arrived. I was not aware that it would be such an important personage, or I would have had our best dishes laid out and more than tea and scones prepared. Oh, and he asked that I not tell you his name in advance. I think he wants it to be a surprise."

Satterfield raises an eyebrow at his butler. "Thank you George, I will attend them directly. In the meantime you can serve them tea." He goes back to reading his paper until George leaves the room. Once George leaves, he takes out his pen and writes on the paper in a bold hand, 'Appointment about to commence, more when done,' and draws a box around the note several times as if trying to memorize what he is seeing. (Cody picks up his thoughts, excited by not agitated, he is following directions from the sphinx implanting a note in his own mind so that if those he is about to meet mess with his mind the sphinx will still know that the meeting occurred.)

After he is done he crumples the note and heads to the study where George is in the process of serving you tea and scones. When he walks through the door you notice that he is a tall man with dark hair and blue eyes and well dressed. He enters and his eyebrows raise in surprise as he sees Ulric, but he recovers quickly and takes a seat in on of the leather chairs set in a simi-circle around the fireplace. (Thoughts: Oh this is just ducky, this thing goes all the way up to the big cheese himself.)

"Genlemen, be welcome, I have been expecting a visitor, but I did not expect someone at your level Mr. President."

Steve answers,

"'He' is probably a 'she'. No point in switching sexes if you're planning on staying a while."

"And Joani... fair warning. You don't need to do this. The more you work with us, the more you learn about us, the more you'll enter our world. It'll be like tasting of the fruit of knowledge. If you enter our world, you'll never leave."

"And Joani... fair warning. You don't need to do this. The more you work with us, the more you learn about us, the more you'll enter our world. It'll be like tasting of the fruit of knowledge. If you enter our world, you'll never leave."

Andrew nods, his face very serious, "He's not kidding. There've been more than a few time I wish I hadn't taken the red pill ... err hadn't opened that door, so to speak. And if he's right and this is something else ... well this may get very dangerous before we get to the bottom of things."

Andrew is fidgety, the whole idea that somebody could jump into another person and ride them like a hand inside a puppet was disturbing. Add to that the fact that they might be bringing yet another person into their circle was concerning, this could all be a trap. He trusted Steve's judgement but nobody was infalible.

"I will make them aware Steve. If it is any consolation, the link implant should give some aid in preventing that from happening to any of the novas in the crew. Since the link operates on telepathic wavelengths it should provide some small interference against anyone trying to attack you telepathically. It may not be much and it may not prevent the attempt, but at the very least now that I am aware of it I can instantly determine if one of you becomes compromised or is attacked."

(To Ulric and Cody)

*Steve sends word that Ms. Walters was compromised by a ScarCrow-like nova. Sending details on that now.* (She gives the history of the ScarCrow from our original timeline. She also repeats for everyone else that the link will work as a detection system against telepathic attack.)

Steve answers,

"'He' is probably a 'she'. No point in switching sexes if you're planning on staying a while."

"Thanks for the warning but what would you do if we switched places? Besides that - I got nothing to go to and you guys are the only link I have. Maybe we can find a way to trace him back? Don't turn me down, please.", Joani pleaded.

Lorean sends to everyone over the link. *Given that Ms. Walters has been previously compromised, it might be prudent to either not give her a link or if so, not directly connect her the way the rest of you are. I fear that having been once breached, her mind might be more susceptible to future attempts. Of course, it may also mean that she is even harder to attack a second time, but lacking any way to test that, it would be best to proceed with caution.*

Andrew looks to Steve and shrugs, "You seem to have a knack for picking up strays my friend."

Turning to Joani, Andrew offers her his hand, "My name is actually Andrew, it's a pleasure." He hesitates for a moment and then figures, What the hell, she'll find out soon enough anyways, before shape shifting back to his normal appearance. In mid shake the fat and slightly repugnant Phineous is replaced by Andrew, his reddish hair lightly tousled, and his pale complexion beaming as he smiles warmly. The suit is replaced with a more comfortable set of cotton trousers and a sport coat.

"My apologies for the deception."

Ulric digested the information at super-human speeds, but none of it left him feeling any better. If anything, with the additional information provided by Cody, he was a downright grim man when Mathew arrived.

To Cody,

Change of tact here. I'm going to see if I can switch him. I'm going to try and convince him we know more than we do, yet we are still befriending him.

Ulric used the tea to give himself a moment to set the stage and breed a bit of tension in Satterfield.

"I want you to tell us what you know, Matthew. I want you to confirm what we already know about you and the rest."

A pause.

[Natural Agitator to bring about comraderie]

"But first I want to impress upon you how important this is. These matters, which you treat so cavalierly, are crucial in the fate of our world. I'm not talking about Presidents and Prime Ministers here! I am talking about Genocide and Global War."

"All great events start out with small actions. Your small action may have grave consequences for the future. For the future of you and people gifted like you, as well as the whole of humanity."

"You want to know what I'm about, undoubtably. I am about putting armies more under the control of citizens they draw their strength from. I about building hospitals and schools in the darkest, least advanced part of the world. I am for people like you and I being both happy, useful - if that's what you want, and safe."

"Safe? Yes safe, because you are being used and I don't think you truly understand, or have been told, the stakes of the game. For me, the fate our Nation-State is as important to me as ... as your life. You are a citizen I've sworn to protect, so I am here to try. I guaruntee you that the people using you have no such concern."

A sip of tea.

"Now, tell me what you know."

Joani gladly accepts Andrews apologies and instead of shaking his hand she gives him a little hug.

"Unfortunately I can't tell much about myself - you know my name already and we seem to have something in common. I think we should go somewhere less public. Do you know a place where I can stay?"

Quote:
She gives the history of the ScarCrow from our original timeline. She also repeats for everyone else that the link will work as a detection system against telepathic attack.

Omar frowns. The Scarecrow was a frightening nova. He could hide in anyone and use them to manipulate others. If they were dealing with such a nova, they might have to resort to more extreme measure. A non-violent approach might be doomed to failure.

"Lorien? Is there any other information on abilities or powers, other than the link, that would help us defend or detect posession by the Scarcrow or similar nova? How were they able to combat the Scarecrow in our original timeline?"

Omar realized that he was sweating from nervousness.

Satterfield hangs on your every word and considers carefully before answering, "I didn't realize things were so dire. I'll be happy to tell you what I know although it really isn't much." (Cody continues to scan his thoughts for dishonesty, but the man seems guinuinely awed by Ulric's speech and he seems to weigh the situation in his mind before deciding to cooperate.)

"About 6 months ago I was contacted by a man who said that he had proof of a conspiracy to control the world and that Aeon was behind it. I demanded to know his proof of course and he did prove it to my satisfaction, though he couldn't give any details who was behind it. That part seemed like a lot of conjecture to me. The conspiracy itself was obvious though, the media all began publishing and broadcasting the same sorts of information with almost no dissent, Politicians cooperating and not allowing partisanship to interfere in with change. Oh, it wasn't really that obvious at first, but once you know to look for the signs, it amazes me that others haven't spotted it." He stops to take a drink of the tea, "Of course all of the changes I have seen seem to be good so far, but as Harold says, absolute power corrupts absolutely, and once they have total control what is to stop them from abusing that power. Well, I did the only thing in my power to do, I have tried to expose our existence to the world. Once everyone knows 'they' will not be able to control us."

Swallowing hard he continues, "Well, that's what I thought anyway, Harold seemed to be very sure, it never occurred to me that he might be using me. Anyway, he said that an agent of the Conspiracy would contact me eventually, but I didn't expect it to be you sir." He smiles ruefully for a moment, "Or that perhaps it was we who were part of a conspiracy. If I had realized that you were part of what is happening I never would have doubted that things would turn out right."

(edited the post to correct the name of the Psiad, and to remove mention of Joani. I forgot that Satterfield only knew the Psiad.)

Steve sends back to Lorean, *Understood.*

(To Joani) Steve says, "Well, that's an answer and a decision."

Steve reaches forwards and attempts to take Joani's hand, assuming she lets him he shakes it and says,

"Welcome Sister. Call me Steve."

Originally Posted By: Andrew Murphy
Andrew looks to Steve and shrugs, "You seem to have a knack for picking up strays my friend."
Steve smiles and says,

"He's talking about himself. Others too. Way back when I interviewed him, then a few days later he erupted. He's the third of my friends to erupt too. It would take an outrageous amount of skill and luck to find your body jumper, fortunately we have both."

Steve puts on his Professional Investigator hat,

"First we review and examine the last year of your life. That means reviewing everything you can remember. In addition I want to go through your things and see what Ms. X has purchased and used. The more insight we have into how her mind works and what her habits are the easier she'll be to find. Just knowing what kind of soap or underwear she likes might be enough to identify her in the next body."

"Then we'll bring in my telepathic friend and see if she left any traces he can run down. Then, and perhaps most importantly, we teach you how to shield your mind so this can't ever happen again."

(Activate E-Vision as appropriate, Fast Tasks, Lie Detector, & Investigative Prodigy are still on, Luck Roll please).

ANdrew arches an eyebrow toward Steve, professional detachment was one thing, but sometimes he had to wonder. "Woah there let's slow down just a touch. Firstly, Joani, where did you come to today? Let's start there gather what we can and then we can head someplace safe where you can talk to Steve and let him do his PI thing."

Steve puts on his Professional Investigator hat,

"First we review and examine the last year of your life. That means reviewing everything you can remember. In addition I want to go through your things and see what Ms. X has purchased and used. The more insight we have into how her mind works and what her habits are the easier she'll be to find. Just knowing what kind of soap or underwear she likes might be enough to identify her in the next body."

"Then we'll bring in my telepathic friend and see if she left any traces he can run down. Then, and perhaps most importantly, we teach you how to shield your mind so this can't ever happen again."

(Activate E-Vision as appropriate, Fast Tasks, Lie Detector, & Investigative Prodigy are still on, Luck Roll please).

"Well - I basically told you everything I can remember. I usually have a very good memory, even before I erupted, but the last year like I said earlier seems rather hazy und misplaced. I went out with virtually every actor or producer you can think if in the industry but I can't really grasp why I was doing it... or even tell what happened most of the time. It feels like a very long party..." she looks embarressed but continues.

"Most of the time I either stayed at an hotel OR... well... Do I have to go into detail?" she blushes a little and changes the topic. "I'd very much like to meet that friend of yours who can help me. The sooner the better. And thank you for giving me a chance. I finally feel for the first time that I'm heading towards something which has meaning and purpose." she smiles honestly

After a few minutes you arrive in Joani's room and Steve asks both Joani and Andrew to wait at the door so as not to disturb the scene.

The room is elegant and comfortable and something that Joani should not be able to afford. The bed has been made and the room cleaned recently. The closets are full of expensive designer clothes, the personal items equally expensive.

(PM to Steve with details)

“In a way, you are right,” Ulric began. “We, like you and Harold, are a conspiracy. What matters is what we do with the power we have. Listen, I’m not going to try and convince you that what I am working toward is good. I want my deeds to speak for me. I have spent the past ten years stressing what?”

Ulric ticks off his points on his left hand.

“I promote international unity, (pause) a free and unfettered press, (pause) the rights of individual citizens, (pause) global education and the end of colonialism.”

“International unity will bring an end to wars and strengthen our ability to fight global catastrophes like floods, earthquakes and famine. We will have more resources to devote to scientific and technical advancement. Just look at what we have accomplished in the past decade. Tell me the average individual is not better off.”

“You have noted what the Press does and does not report. They help us keep the current expanding populations of specials under wraps until, in the near future; the world is ready for the revelation of our presence. What they get out of it is transparent government, help in covering global problems, and support going after illegal corporate concerns. The reason we are asking to keep the existence of people like you out of the headlines is something I can’t reveal right now, but please believe me, it is important.”

“I think my policy of human rights is apparent. There is no agenda there, but a belief. It is my belief that a healthy, educated, and well-informed electorate is the key to good governance. World domination is the farthest thing from our minds. What we plan for ourselves is obsolescent. A self-perpetuating, global democracy is our aim. There is no place for tyrants – even invisible ones, in that.”

With a smile he adds, “I look forward to the vacation.”

“This ties back into Global Education too. Every child should have the equal opportunities not matter where they are born. We believe in this. So, we support institutions, both governmental – my part – and private, that build schools, train teachers and support infrastructure in the Developing World. It is our belief that with equality will come understanding and the end of major conflicts. World Peace brought to our children on the pages of a book.”

“We not only want to end colonialism, but the racism that goes hand in hand with it. Racism breeds hatred, fear, and exploitation and we fight that. It is the end of colonial dependence, second-hand citizenship, and the resentment that being ruled by foreigners creates. I support true Universal Freedom everywhere. I don’t pull punches and I’m not ashamed of my stance on this matter. One World United is not just a slogan to me, but my dream.”

“I leave you to make your own judgments on were you think I really stand. I don’t deny being part of a network of concerned ‘Specials’ like you. I can’t convince you against your will that I am acting on some ulterior motives. I pride myself on my honesty and I’m being honest with you.”

“I freely admit I can’t tell you everything myself and my co-conspirators are up to. After all, I don’t know what your final decision will be. I don’t know what Harold will think about this meeting and what he will do. I hope you accept that with the good that I am working toward you will find it with yourself to give me the benefit of the doubt. If you have any further doubts about me, let’s hear them now. I will gladly defend my actions.”

"You have convinced me sir. The doubt that I had was that once all the power was in one set of hands it would be all too easy to go from being benevolent to despotic. What you say about self rule makes much sense and I applaud that. My only remaining doubt is the secrecy. If the motivations are all so pure, and I do not doubt you, I guess I just do not understand the need for remaining hidden." (He is sincere and his toughts remain transparent.)

Steve stands still at the apartment’s entrance and just soaks in the sensations. Everything from the way the carpet is pressed to the smell of perfume is a clue and they all scream their significance. In theory a body jumper would be an invincible foe, impossible to track. In reality she was making the same stupid mistakes most criminals make. Good will always win because Evil is dumb.

Andrew and Joani see Steve almost immediately poke his head out into the hallway and not so much look as study in both directions while ignoring them. Then he gives a hard glance at Joani’s feet, briefly grins, and retreats inside again.

Steve reviews, *So, she got the maid. Obviously a well thought out back up plan… NOT! Woman like Joani wouldn’t have any trouble getting someone alone. Our Ms. X has Joani’s body, her own probably considerable social abilities and connections, and lots of money. And with all that she just grabbed the first body that crossed her path. If she had a backup body/plan she’d grab a dressmaker, then get the dressmaker to visit the backup and switch again.*

*Well, let’s not chase her down. Snares work better when hunting rabbits and they’re a lot less effort. What would she do next? Go home? No, she doesn’t know the maid’s address and she doesn’t want to know. If she had a home to go to she could just leave in her own body. She’s still here, inside the hotel. Classic criminal mistake, she wants to stay with the familier and isn't sure what to do. It's been two days, by now... ah... she's a dimbulb. The obvious move on her part is, well, obvious.*

After several minutes he invites Andrew and Joani inside.

“OK, first, let’s talk about what isn’t here. I don’t see any Chinese newspapers or European magazines or anything similar. There’s nothing to support the idea she’s interested in anything other than fashion and celebrities. She’s into fame and parties and that’s it. She also left in a hurry. She grabbed the first body she came across. I haven’t looked for your bank books yet but I’ll bet they’re still here.”

“Second, this room screams money and social connections. All of this clothing is expensive and some of it was made special for Joani. It’s by big name people who really know their trade, I probably couldn’t match most of them. Everything else is similar, top of the line stuff. Even with money you need to know the right people.”

“So she’s put a LOT of effort into all this. Hundreds of hours of making connections. Hundreds of hours of buying and making dresses. And this story didn’t start there. Where did all the money to do this come from? At a guess she made a big score before she even met Joani. I think taking over a nova was just a move in building this dream live she wants. And it was a hard move, young, beautiful female novas aren’t that common.”

“So, after all that effort, she’s just going to start over? None of society’s elite know her now, and her bank accounts might not be accessible. I don’t think a baseline can party non-stop for a year without wear and tear, and that’s the kind of body she’s wearing.”

“Translation: I think she’s still here. She’s waiting to see what happens to ‘her’ body. She’s worried Joani will turn up dead somewhere for breaking the code. I’m sure I could track her down, but that would be using our weaknesses against her strengths. She’d jump someone, maybe one of us even, and then people would get hurt.”

“Better approach to let her know that her plan worked. When she finds out we bought her off with a movie contract, the temptation to ‘reclaim’ the life ‘that she built’ will be too much. She’ll come to us. From what I know of mental powers, specifically ScarCrow’s… ah, that’s the last guy on record with these abilities, this power can’t be used from a big distance. He needed at least close proximity to his victims.”

While Omar waits for Lorien to give him the information, he speaks to the others throught the link: * What is going on? Can I get an update from each of you?

Omar hated being left behind while the rest of them went off on missions. If they kept him abreast of things, he could at least feel like he was trying to help. It was the reason he made a costume. He could keep his true identity safe while helping the group deal with problems.

Over the link Omar hears Cody's distinctive baritone "voice".

*Ulric is laying the charm on our ghost and he seems to be buying it...for now. Our "actress" appears to be the victim of a parrasitic possesion. Omar I know you have some defense against that sort of thing but I'd rather not risk them taking over your body...*

To Ulric he adds,

*Layed it on pretty thick there. I felt like singing for a moment.*

*Ask him about his mysterious employer and the instructions he was given....even if he doesn't want to tell you it will still make him think about it. Without knowledge of the Aberrant War or the alien threats, our Sphynx believes he is acting in the name of good. Hence the return of the stolen money.*

*Next we need to offer him what he wants...a feeling of importance and especially, recognition. In other words, you have him genuinely convince for the moment...Enough about you, what about him?*

“Translation: I think she’s still here. She’s waiting to see what happens to ‘her’ body. She’s worried Joani will turn up dead somewhere for breaking the code. I’m sure I could track her down, but that would be using our weaknesses against her strengths. She’d jump someone, maybe one of us even, and then people would get hurt.”

“Better approach to let her know that her plan worked. When she finds out we bought her off with a movie contract, the temptation to ‘reclaim’ the life ‘that she built’ will be too much. She’ll come to us. From what I know of mental powers, specifically ScarCrow’s… ah, that’s the last guy on record with these abilities, this power can’t be used from a big distance. He needed at least close proximity to his victims.”

Joani nodded and agreed to Steves assessment. "I understand but what if she takes the chance to escape, once she has... taken over again?" the thought of not being herself gave her the creeps. "I'm pretty fast and things can get nasty if she knows how to handle all my powers. Do you think she is oblivious to the fact, that someone is tailing her?"

Frowning she added, "Besides that, now that I know what or who is responsible for this I feel even more abused."

Then her face lightened up as an idea formed in her head.
"Can't your telepathic friend hide somewhere here and stay hidden from the parasite?" she pointed at her head. "I'd feel much more comfortable if someone trustable was around."

Archived