Dungeons & Dragons: The Crimsom Ring - DnD game, anybody up for it?

Kultra

Hey,so I was thinking, how about a play by post DnD game?

I was looking for about 5 or 6 PC's, topping out at 7.

Would be a level 1 DnD game with a couple of house rules I tend to use on my online games, who thinks this is a good idea?

Edit: I forgot to mention it's 3.5 Edition with the house rules on top.

Normal rules can be foudn here: http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

Kultra's Rules for D&D

--------------------------------------------

General:

-Spot + Listen = Perception

-Hide + Move Silently = Stealth

-Open Lock + Disable Device = Devices

-LA is buyable

-Keen and Improved Crit stack

-As a rule of Thumb, enemies will never be like in the Monster Manual or any of its Kin

-No Exp Penalty because of difference in levels.

Edit!

I forgot the most important rules, probably because they are newer >_<

-You get triple HP for your first HD, this is to ensure that the Rogue/Cleric does not die to a lucky Kobold.

-Every class get's +2 Skill points per level. Most classes are Skillpoint starved.

-In an effort to minimize the emphasis on Magical Items, you add half your character level to your Stat mod.

I.E. a 10th level Figther, with an 18 Str score, has a Str Mod of +9.

Any doubts about this last three rules direct them through PM please.

Changes to classes:

-Bard:

--they receive and know their next spell level 1 level before

--Change 1 spell they don't want anymore when they level up.

-Druid

--Druids use Shapeshfiting Variant from the PHB II.

-Sorcerer:

--Bonus feats like Wizards (Eschew Materials, 5, 10, 15, 20)

--Quicken spell becomes a swift action

--Change 1 spell they don't want anymore when they level up

--Added Diplomacy, Bluff, Sense Motive and K: Planes, Religion and Use Magic Device.

-Fighter:

--Every odd level get a choice between: +1 to Str cecks to lift or break things OR +1 to Con checks to hold their breath or keep a forced march.

--Can chaing the weapon focus/specialization chain of their with a one hour training per feat changed in the morning, can be done over several days.

Core and Extended Core (PHB I & II, DMG I & II, MM I, II, III, & IV)

EPH

Complete Series (Warrior, Arcane, Divine, Adventurer, Champion, Mage, Scourdrel, Psion)

Spell Compendium

Spells:

-Polymorph other, any object and self are banned spells

-Can't summon 1d3 or 1d4+1 creature from a lower level list with Summon Monster/Animal

Enemies:

-Giant mosnters are turned into Monstrous Humanoids.

Style and RP Points:

-Style Points:

These are for good description, usually in combat, but any other time you pull off something stylish they can be awarded. Basically, Style Points are to keep combat more interesting than a game of Yahtzee, so mix it up. Be liberal with your descriptions, I'm not going to tell you that you can't do something if it's sufficiently cool (so poke at eyes, slam a shoulder into an orc, throw beer in someone's eyes then run them through with a longsword). If it works better for you, roll the dice before hand, then you can get a description up when you know the outcome. I'll usually tell you when you've got enough damage for a kill, then it's open slather for as gory a description as you like (usually worth 2sp).

-RP Pips:

These are for good acting and staying in character. This kind of thing is most likely to attract RP Pips when there's some kind of decision to be made, -especially- if an in character decision is actually to your detriment. That's why it pays to have a unique personality and a few quirks. It's extremely hard to figure out when a completely average adventurer is acting "in character" if they lack an interesting personality. So yeah, it's an unfair system balanced towards nutbars, but it's about time the nutbars made some ground!

RP Pips and Style Points are spent at the same rate (1=1), but tracked separately for a very important reason.

-Spending Points:

This is why you want them. Y'see, I'm less concerned about maintaining out-of-the-box WotC "balance" as I am in making things interesting, so to that ends, here's where you sink these points:

-Regional Feats:

Your first ten points are traded in for a regional feat, ignoring the first level only restriction. You can pick which one, and you can spend future points on other feats from your region if you want, but only the first one is compulsory.

-Speeding up Time:

There's a lot of things in D&D that take too long. Like crafting. Spending one point per day of crafting reduces the time needed to craft a magic item from days to hours (applies to the Ancestral Relic feat). I don't know anything about the Craft Skill, but I guess it works for that too.

-Upgrading Items:

Pretty much any item of note in the campaign can be upgraded via style points, usually up to five times. I'm not fond of how much legacy weapons gimp a player, and these provide a good sinkhole for style points. Basically, once a weapon is ID'd, if it has some significance attached, it can be upgraded with style points at a cost of 5 per level. Here's an example of one that won't show up in the game. Typically, a wielder doesn't have any control over the abilities, and the number of times they can be upgraded varies from 3 for simpler items to 10 for something artifact level.

Ruagh's Quickblade:

A Rapier marked with the symbol of master smith, Taerom Thunderhammer. Ruagh was a descendant of one of Balduran's captains, who helped protect the Sword Coast against cut throats. He was killed in a barfight at the Helm & Cloak a few years back, when he drunkenly impaled himself on his own sword. Like most of the Thunderhammer's weapons, the Quickblade is difficult to wield, but with practice a skilled user will discover the rapier holds surprising power.

Base Stats: +1 Rapier, can be drawn as an immediate action.

1: +2 init when held, +2 enhancement bonus to user's Dex

2: +4 to disarm checks when opponent is denied dex to AC, Weapon's enhancement bonus upgraded to +2

3: +4 enhancement bonus to dex

4: Enhancement bonus upgraded to +3

5: +6 enhancement bonus to Dex

6: Quickblade gains the Speed property

Other Things:

Make something up. If it's cool and not overly unbalancing, it's probably okay. Maybe you want a better familiar, maybe you want to spend style points coming up with spells, maybe you just want blue hair. It's probably ok.

Hey Players, I'm thinking of playing a Dwarven, Half-Orc, or Orc (very small chance) Fighter or Barbarian. I would like to be childhood friends with another PC. Also, since I haven't played much at all in the past two years, I would appreciate any advice in making my character.

I'd be game. PbP games work best for me; I can RP without having to carve a single night out of my schedule.

I have a character I've created for two games, but she's never seen more than a session or two of play. Would this would be ok?

Jager, if Polymath says she's ok to play, I could have a character link with you if you play an orc or half-orc.

Zetaginea

Southern tip of the Valer continent on the Material Plane of Valer, surrounded by sea on three sides, and being a tropical climate it is filled to the brim with rain forests.

The Empire of Zetaginea is actually constructed of two territories separated by a long chain of mountains with steep cliffs and deep valleys. Caravans have a hard time getting through them, but a big gap in the center was long ago carved by powerful magic, this gap known as "The Highlands" is a prosperous plateu where every caravan get's charged steep prices for the comodity of going through, the Imperial Castle and the Noble houses are all in the The Highlands, among the serfs the term Noble and Highlander are interchangable.

To the south of the Highlands is the Rainforest, Elves and Orcs share different parts of the forest, Elves having the bigger and greener share of it, Elves are split into castes, each caste assigned at birth and having different labors among each others.

Orcs are more of a simple civilization, they make war, make raids, and take what they need if they can't get it for themselves, they are lead by Warlords and High Priests, both can throw around roughly the same amount of power.

To the north of the Plateu are the great plains of Valer, they are shared with two other countries Pallatinus and Lodis, each of them Warlike (Lodis more than Pallatinus), the plains are inhabitated by Halflings and Humans, their stablishments are usually not very far apart and sometimes are so close as to be indistinguishable, their outriders and rangers are the first lines of defense agaist any organized army trying to take over the plains are known for going a bit over the top when threatened.

Dwarves live inside the mountains that split Zetaginea in twain, and they usually only trade within the Highlands, but have been known to venture far in Caravans to gather ore, lore, or even important people.

The Zetaginean Empire gets it's name from Emperess Zetagi the VI, a just queen who has reigned over the empire for the last 20 years, and who will be suceeded by her daugther Zetagi the VII if she were to die, most Highlanders are minor nobles, or Court Nobles who try to gain the favor of the Emperess via favors or gifts, sometimes it all depends on her mood.

The religion in the Zetaginean empire is not enforced, everyone is allowed to have their own religion, but many nobles follow through with the veneration of Wee Jas by the Emperess to get on her good side, and to stay off the bad side of the Ruby Knights on her service.

Any other questions feel free to post them so I can elaborate more on the setting, if it helps you people will be starting on the Highlands, in a minor part of them of course.

------------

Also, because I forgot, Stats will be determined by Point Buy with a 1:1 Ratio. 21 points, all stats start at 8, max out at 18 before Racial bonuses or penalties.

Again, any other questions feel free to post them here =D

What do we do about equipment and starting money?

What is the environment we will be starting in?

How prevealent are horses, especially in the south?

Is the human tongue spoken in the Empire the same as is spoken in Lodis and Pallatinus?

What is the sailing culture like in the Empire (and beyond)?

Are the Gods the Greyhawk Pantheons?

Also, about the group:

Robert, what kind of group do you want us to play?

Group, what kind of group do we want to play? Are we explorers, city-based, tomb robbers, some of the above, none of the above?

Thank you for your questions!

1) On Equipment: Starting money, since we are starting 1st level everyone has 200 GP to spend on equipment and items.

2)On the Enviroment: starting will be on one of the minor cities of the Highlands, probably run by a minor noble (Make up your own excused to be there, trade, security, rumors, etc etc)

3) On Horses: In the Highlands and the northern plains, Horses are a must. In the south, Horses are seen more as a commodity than a need, usually large groups in the south stick to a single horse and a cart over everyone having a horse.

4) On Tounges: Common is the widly spoken tounge in Lodis, Pallatinus and Zetaginea, the Elves, Orcs and Dwarves keep their racial 'Dialects' from being raised in isolation most of the time, but soon learn Common to accomodate things like trading or telling your enemy just how much the axe hurts.

5) On Sailing: the South of the empire rests a lot of it's economy on sailing, southern cities for humans and halflings (which are more like peregrine settings or colonies, since it's actually Orc and Elf territory traditionally) are always port cities depending on fishing and trade, hunting in the jungle is dangerous and fruitless most of the time when the Elves and Orcs always win the preys.

6) The Greyhawk pantheon is available, and there is the posibility of using other pantheons either for racial purposes (Orc or Elven dieties) or simply because somebody came up with them and turned out to be right (Who would figure Poseidon would answer prayers to the sailors?) The neighboring Countries are a different case all together, Lodis has a monotheism Theocracy lead by a pope, and Pallatinus believes in 6 dieties who keep balance among each other (4 elements + darkness and light).

7) On the kind of group: I don't like to limit you people, anything goes right now for me, I got some plot hooks in mind, and as soon as everyone sends me at the very least a vague idea and/or a backstory, I will be happy to start the plot hooking and do a first post. =D

Game will start in town, and first plot hooks might be inside the city, if riding to the south will be needed, horses might be provided or at least a good ol cart might be provided.

Also, as I said as soon as we get everything ready I'm going to ask Chosen to make the board, so anyone who wants to join now is good, and later will be good too =D

Also, deliberate between thyselves if you want to have known each other or just be random people =D

My character just got released from an Elvish prison, before that I lived in my uncle's house while my aunt taught magic. If you think it's likely we met five or more years ago at my Uncle's house or while I was in prison, please let me know. Otherwise I'll just use some contacts I got in prison to lead me to the right people to put me with the group.

My name is Donovain Hollistone, a human, and I am the son of a stonemason, and alcolyte of Berthe, the Earth Goddess.

I spend some of my time in the temples of Berthe, or blessing farmer's crops. Most of the time, I am travelling on behalf of Berthe, examing the magical histories of local geological formations of the Highlands. Anyone who seeks the blessings of our glorious earth Mother, Berthe, might have come in contact with me.

My character is Mehairme. She's a half-orc bard, who likes to play the flute, tell stories and recite Orcish battle chants. She recently left her father's tribe when Zane the Orc was cast out. She knew he'd need someone to take care of him, and it was time for her to leave.

I'm rusty on DnD3.5. I hope that you guys can give me a hand.

So if I have this right we have:

Fighter

Rogue

Cleric

Bard

I was thinking of playing a monk, but looks like we could use a dedicated magic user. I'll look through the books tonight and see if any of the magic classes strikes me as interesting. Even without one though, I think we'd have a pretty well balanced party.

Sounds good Mr.Fox, we still yet another 2 persons interested into the game on top of you, and I'm going to cap it at 7 for now.

The startin post will come this week (the weekend at the latest), along with the OOC thread and a third thread for requests and crazy house rules I come up with on the spot.

How do you guys feel about it?

I'm interested in playing too. I'd like to play a Druid, either a Shifter Druid with the Beast Spirit sub level or the Druidic Avenger variant.

Actually, after looking over the (possible) party, I noticed we lack a good cannon. I'll go for a Kineticist.

Archived