Aberrant RPG - Daredevils...here and now!

Xarn

In the aberrant world I've been running here I have effectively adapted rules for a nova/psychic/daredevil continuity. I have character creation processes for all three and they seem to co-exist fairly harmoniously. I am currently attempting the same with cyborgs. Since this is the first aberrant forum to which I have belonged, I am curious about opinions and such. Please, be candid.

Being candid, my only problem is flavor continuity. I dont think Aberrant was written in an aesthetic way that makes it consistant with Adventure or Trinity. It would be like Interview with a Vampire being the sequel to The Monster Squad. Sure you can flesh out why in technical terms but it doesnt flow together thematically.

Alot of it stems from writing theory. If you establish an "anything goes" mentality in your writing, you are leading the reader to believe that you have nothing clever to say because you have no rules to be clever about.

That is a long way to say that Adventure and Trinity arent the same genre as Aberrant, even if they are supposed to be related. Cyborgs have no place in the Aberrant world as it is written. If you want to re-work Aberrant from an Adventure, pulpy, four color, one liner, feel... then it might work out better but not as it is currently written, flavorwise. IMHO

It's strange though...in some pictures in Aberrant books, there are robots. Or people with robot arms. Check out Expose: Aberrants. There are robots and cyborgs in several pictures. It must be that artist's style because s/he is the only one that does it. I wonder why? There aren't supposed to be cybernetic people in Aberrant. Weird.

Cybernetics are an easy step in a world full of super-geniuses. Or even in a world with a handful of them. I don't see why you couldn't have 'enhanced humans' of various kinds in the aberrant universe.

As for the mixing of Genres, an 'anything goes' universe can be a lot of fun - as long as there are limits. Your 'rules' don't have to be genre centric, they can also be conceptual (you can do anything...but you can't bring back the dead), or plot-related (there's ALWAYS someone bigger. Always.), or strategic (your enemies are smart, and they use the world around them to their advantage, and your disadvantage. Adapt or die.).

This is a game, not a novel, so there are lots of ways to portray a challenge.

Quote:
Blue Thunder: It's strange though...in some pictures in Aberrant books, there are robots. Or people with robot arms. Check out Expose: Aberrants. There are robots and cyborgs in several pictures. It must be that artist's style because s/he is the only one that does it. I wonder why? There aren't supposed to be cybernetic people in Aberrant. Weird.
Considering they are novas, I've just assumed it was some kind of clothing style.

Or maybe an aberration.

I completely agree with Doc: it's not the same tone.

Especially, Adventure doesn't fit well with the rest of the universe. I can easily admit Trinity as being Aberrant's future (or possible future), but Adventure is much too pulp-like (erf, of course, this is the game's purpose!!!), and most important : the Trinity setting assumes that , after the Opnet crash, many infos and historical facts where forgotten. So a GM can make happen MANY things in the Nova Age era and still fit to the "official" campaign should he need to.

But the fact that the "mini quantum-boom" in Adventure was COMPLETELY forgotten is totally UNBELIEVABLE.

I play Adventure anyway, but I try to conceal the most striking elements to make the continuity possible with my own Aberrant campaign setting smile

I think the excuse is that as the telluric energy wave dies down, people start to forget the strange things that happened. And all of those strange places that appeared, like the underground cities, the dinosaur swamp, the talking ape villages, the vampires, all started to fade away.

Not forgotten. Disbelieved.

Joe comes back with wild stories about a city made of gold and it's strange inhabitants. 10 years later, other people go and fail to find it. 30 years later airplanes fly over that area all the time and don't see anything. 60 years later satalights also fail to see anything. Modern science says it can't exist. The locals know of the legend but none have physical features like the 'mysterious' natives. No gold turns up.

Possible Conclusions:

1) Joe told the truth and reality has changed.

2) Joe lied (to sell a book or win babes or look important) or was crazy.

#2 is common, Modern science says #1 can't happen.

And then yes, as the decades pass it gets forgotten.

This explanation is very clever and coherent, but I think it's not the real problem. Once again, the main pb is one of tone.

Moreover, the Aberrant- and Trinity- setting assume that "magic" doesn't exist, and the only way to handle quantum and subquantum is human will.

So reality can't change by her own!

When I play Adventure, personally, I assume Mercer or some Time-travelling aberrant managed to create an alternative reality, where events ran differently.

Quote:
Joe comes back with wild stories about a city made of gold and it's strange inhabitants. 10 years later, other people go and fail to find it. 30 years later airplanes fly over that area all the time and don't see anything. 60 years later satalights also fail to see anything. Modern science says it can't exist. The locals know of the legend but none have physical features like the 'mysterious' natives. No gold turns up.[/QB]
Actually in that case I think it has more to do with the Aeon Society confiscating newspaper articles and books dealing on those kinds of subjects, much like they do after the Aberrant War.

Archived