Aberrant: Phoenix Rising - Book 2: Chapter 1: Obscured by Clouds

jameson (ST)

Originally Posted By: Dr. Raphael Bradford
...One appears to slope upward possibly towar the surface of another station, the second continues and the third, appearing disused, heads sharply away and slopes downward.
Doug sends to Gregory and then to Raider,

*That one?* Doug will follow Gregory's lead.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The man looks somewhat suprised at the suspicion in Calypso's voice and the odd look from Seven. He shrugs and repositions the pack on his shoulder. "Just wandering through," he replies, " I was about ready to make camp for the night when I saw the smoke from your fire. I come over to see if I could share your fire and maybe some news."

He looks you both up and down and finally starts to turn away, "I'm sorry to have bothered you both."

Gregory leads Raider and Courier down into the tunnel. Using his improvised echolocation he is able to navigate as the lights grow dimmer before ceasing entirely. Once it becomes completely dark Raider is forced to solidify a hand to keep on Gregory's shoulder in order to continue following behind him. After sometime they emerge into a large cavern. Gregory stops and marvels at the large room. Though he cannot see he is able to sense that the ceiling is at least thirty feet above them supported by four massive pillars spaced evenly around the room.

The silence is deafening and the situation is optimal for the echolocation. Gregory attempts to refine his technique but is unable to coax any more detail out of his senses.

Quote:
He looks you both up and down and finally starts to turn away, "I'm sorry to have bothered you both."

Seven frowned, glancing at Calypso. They had no idea what this man could do - but then he had no idea what they could do. It was better to keep him there by the fire than have him wandering around, where others might find him.

Seven clapped her hands softly to get his attention, then pointed to a grassy spot in front of him next to the fire.

Originally Posted By: Gregory
*I'm going to look around. I will be back.
*OK.*

(Only sent to Raider)*He's going to check it out... hmm... this total darkness would be oppressive without the link and for that matter without being desolid. It's tough to feel like something can creep up on you went it probably doesn't matter anyway.*

*I'm going to check up on the others.*

(To Adam) *How is it going? Any sign the storm is moving off?*

(To Seven and then to Calypso) *How is it going? We've found something that *might* be promissing, but we're still checking it out. How is KB and how are things on your end?*

"Wait..."

Calypso sighs and relaxes slightly. Had it been so long since she'd been an itinerant wanderer? A year, maybe two ago, and it could be her there now, asking to share a little warmth with strangers.

"It is no bother. Our apologies. The locals in this area...they are not always friendly. In fact, the opposite. But I will not turn a traveler from our fire."

"My Thanks to you," he says as he sits before the fire and warms his hands. "What brings you to these parts? If the locals are not freindly as you say do you not intend to move on?" He regards you each in turn studying Seven curiously noting the feline features but saying nothing.

Leaving Doug and Raider Gregory sets out to walk the perimeter of the room. He reaches a corner after fifty feet or so and quickly circumnavigates the room loacting only one other enterence. He moves so quietly that within a few feet any sound of him is lost to Raider and Courier. As he locates the 4th corner of the room he realizes that his echolocation cannot locate the pair because of Raider's powers.

Being in the silent darkness was comforting. It meant safety for him. He did however worry that he could not detect Courier and Raider. * You still here?

Whether he hears back from him or not, he heads down the other entrance it for a few meters, pinging ahead for people or things. If noone is there, he sends: * Nobody here in room. There is other entrance though. Do we want to bring in the others and turn on lights? If not, I can look more if you want.

"This isn't bad, but I actually had in mind to be a little more isolated, not so close to the main entrance." He sighs, "This will do though if we don't find anything else. I don't want to spend too much time looking. I saw something in the sky when we arrived that has me worried. I think they've got a satellite or maybe even one of the space platforms parked in orbit above us, and I want to investigate as soon as we can."

Raider shrugs, "Telescope to start with, after that I'd say Adam. Worse comes to worse, you could fly me as high as you can and I could float the rest of the way up, but that would take a while and not be very pleasant. I don't have to breath."

"Space? What is space?" Gregory had only half-listened to their conversation. He was busy eyeing the other hallway from the room. Now, however, his curiosity was activated.

"I don't know if I need to breathe. Can I go to 'space' too... if I hold breath?"

Gregory began to slowly move back towards the other entrance. He really was curious about what was down it.

The light casts a harsh blue-white beam across the room. Everybody reflexively squints as their eyes, adjusted as they were to the darkness, are painfully flooded with the bright light. After a few moments your eyes adjust and you look about the room. The floor is smoothed over stones and glistens wetly as do the walls. In the center of the room is a pool of water, a cistern, or an old reservoir. Roughly opposite the first enterance is a second tunnel. The room is built of smoothed stones and gives the impression of great age.

Raider blinks and stares for a moment at what he is seeing. "This isn't exactly what I was expecting. Let's explore that tunnel and see where it goes before we do anything else." After getting a good look at the room he will turn the flashlight off. "Gregory, we'll wait here until you determine the coast is clear."

Quote:
*How is it going? We've found something that *might* be promissing, but we're still checking it out. How is KB and how are things on your end?*

Seven glanced at the quiet KB, then stared back across the fire at the man looking at her.
*stranger* she replied silently, more curious than concerned. Why hadn't he offered his name yet?

"My Thanks to you," he says as he sits before the fire and warms his hands. "What brings you to these parts? If the locals are not freindly as you say do you not intend to move on?" He regards you each in turn studying Seven curiously noting the feline features but saying nothing.

---

"Oh yes," Calypso replies. "We've come from quite a distance...and have quite a distance to go before we stop. I am Calypso. This is Seven. And you are?"

"Uhhh, Franklin, nice to meet you," he says as he rubs his hands near the fire. "I don't mean to pry but where are you headed? Myself I'm looking for someplace warm, I can't much handle the cold."

The last statement strikes you both given the recent weather and his lack of heavy winter apparel. It's also not difficult to note that his rucksack is rather small and appears mostly empty.

Gregory is bathed once more in darkness as Raider switches his flashlight off with a barely audible click. Moving down into the tunnel Gregory senses that it continues on straight ahead for some distance and is not large enough for a train or other vehicle, clearly intended for people on foot. After some time he stops as he is able to make out sound from up ahead. He's not entirely sure how far he has gone, possibly as much as a mile into the tunnel.

Franklin watches the women silently, he studies Seven trying to figure out why she has yet to speak. "So umm, thank you again for sharing your fire, I'll be moving on in the morning ..."

Gregory pushes a small quantity of quantum into his ears and suddenly the sound is a crisp and clear as though he was standing next to the source. The hum and flicker of flourescent lighting, the slow shuffling steps of a cripple or an old man. The sound of water dripping, and a muffled heavy breathing.

Raider and Courier wait in the dark, the silence all but maddening the darkness oppresive. Their eyes strain to catch any light but fail completely.

Raider whispers to Courier, "If we don't find anyplace better, I guess this would do, especially if we wall off that opening. I'm going to turn the light back on, I want to check something." He clicks on the light and plays it slowly across the floor trying to determine any disturbances other than their own footsteps.

(How deep into the tunnels and beyond the guards is this room?)

Light and people he mused to himself as he moved down the hallway. He wanted to make sure that he did't come upon someone unexpectedly. It would make their mission more difficult. Still, he had to see who was there.

From behind him he heard Raider speaking to Courier. They not walling me off. he said to himself in response to Raider's comments. Just to make sure they didn't, he sends: * The place you are in may be good, but don't wall me off until I get back. People and water and lights up ahead. Maybe a mile from you.

"You've come a long way through the cold for someone who doesn't like it..." Calypso notes.

"Sit. Let your load down. Your bag must be heavy with supplies and...well now. You look like you're running a bit low there."

"Franklin...I get the feeling you haven't been entirely honest with us. And after we shared the fire too. Are you a scout from the city, coming to check us out?"

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Raider whispers to Courier, "If we don't find anyplace better, I guess this would do, especially if we wall off that opening. I'm going to turn the light back on, I want to check something." He clicks on the light and plays it slowly across the floor trying to determine any disturbances other than their own footsteps.

(How deep into the tunnels and beyond the guards is this room?)
Doug sends,

*Tap me on the shoulder and use the link next time. And it feels good to have the light on, it's good we'll have KB with us to recharge them. I'm not sure we have the air down here to have a fire.*

Originally Posted By: Gregory
From behind him he heard Raider speaking to Courier. They not walling me off. he said to himself in response to Raider's comments. Just to make sure they didn't, he sends: * The place you are in may be good, but don't wall me off until I get back. People and water and lights up ahead. Maybe a mile from you.
Doug sends back,

*At the moment we're just thinking about making a wall, and don't worry, we'll wait. Understood about the people.*

Doug forwards this to Raider.

While the lights are on Doug examines the pool closely and tries to judge whether or not the water periodically rises.

Franklin looks hurt, "The city? You meant hose ruins there? I'd no idea they were even inhabited. I'm not from around here, I assumed they were abondoned, most of the ruins north of here still glow. I'm sorry if you don't believe me, I can't imagine what I've done to deserve your suspicion."

Nearby KB rolls over in the bundle of blankets, Franklin seems startled, "Who's that?"

Elsewhere Gregory creeps closer to the source of the sound, after some time he is able to see some light escaping around what appears to be a closed door.

Gregory waits until the link gets back to him. * Door in front of me. Light and people behind. Do not know if its one or many.

Gregory strains to listen for talking and other noises. He wanted to know the the denizens of the city lived there or a cold wanderer seeking warmth and shelter.

"Another friend of ours," Calypso says. "And if I misjudged you, I apologize. Your kit seems light for a long winter voyage is all. It is a small detail, but there are many dangers in the world. Ignoring small details can expose one to them."

Up ahead Gregory here's a man's voice, quietly he says, "Now that you've had some time to think about it why don't we try this again?" A tic-tic-tic sound repeats rapidly and Gregory can hear a muffled scream of agony and the sound of splashing water. Suddenly the scream comes to a gurgling halt and shortly after that the ticking sound ceases leaving only the hum of the light and the sounds of water.

"Bother, a little too much juice," says the man. There is a click and the humming stops and the light silhouetting the door goes out. The sound of footsteps fades into silence once more.

Franklin nods, "I had assumed that. What is her name? Where are you from? What brings you to this area? I do no mean to pry but it seems there is little else to talk about at the moment."

Did someone just get killed!? There was confusion, curiousity and alarm in Gregory's head. As the footsteps behind the door faded into silence, curiousity got the better of him, and his hand gingerly felt for a doorknob or handle. The door had neither. The door would not push open, but instead swung towards him. Gregory looked for a way to pull the door open...even trying to stick his fingers under the door to open it. If he manages to open the door, he will peek into the room.

Gregory tries in vain to pull the door open but is unable to get a grip at the edge of the door, it fits within the frame such that he is only barely able to get his fingernails into the gap between the door and the jamb. Within the room itself the only sound is now the slowing drip of water.

Down the corridor Raider and Courier wait in the darkness, unable to hear any of the goings on.

Franklin moves closer to the fire, warming himself as best he can. "Are you three alone? It would seem dangerous for three young women to be out alone in this wild."

Archived