Aberrant: Phoenix Rising - Book 2: Chapter 1: Obscured by Clouds

jameson (ST)

The wind howled outside, driving the snow into drifts twice as tall as a man. The house itself groaned under the weight of snow and the force of the wind. Gregory and Seven had their faces pressed against the windows as they looked out into the empty streets as the blizzard continued. It was strange to see the streets empty of people and instead filled with snow. Despite the best efforts of Calypso, KB, and others had made no progress in weakening the storm system.

For nearly a week now the Nor'easter had squatted over Newborough like some sort of malevolent deity bent of punishing it's wayward worshippers. Even the novas felt the biting cold and stayed indoors unless absolutely needed. Many of the outlying farms hadn't been heard from since the storm began, though to be honest it was likely that they were doing as well or better that the town itself. The farms tended to be more self sufficient and planned for the worst weather.

Behind Gregory and Seven the fire crackled and threw warmth into the room as best it could. Occasionally a log would split with a crack or a knot would burst showering a cloud of sparks back onto the hearth. Raider sat in an old leather wingback pulled close to the fire. Beside him sat a mug of warm mulled wine and he did his best to ignore the cold. It permeated the house even with everything he could devise to produce heat working. Spread out on his lap was a book of old schematics, notes in his own scrawled hand, and other references. The garage simply could not hold enough heat to be comfortable and so he had no other activity to keep him occupied.

Nearby Calypso meditated trying to touch the storm. Her concentration was tenuous at best as frustration ate the back of her mind. She knew this storm. Rather she had created this storm. Not alone and certainly not consciously or willingly, but nonetheless it carried the imprint of her quantum signature. Hers and the other woman’s, Kelly’s; and yet something about the storm, created some four months prior defied her. It had grown out of control that day when she and Kelly had been wrestling for control. Except that it hadn’t been Kelly, at least not consciously.

She had been abused, beaten, allowed only the rest required to continue the maintenance of the weather; and she had had her mind invaded but another. Possession, it was a brutal nasty thing; the aberrant had invaded her body and mind, taken control of her and used her powers as though they were its own. Four months later Kelly was largely recovered, due in no small part to Doug who had spent as much time as was needed helping her to get through the recovery.

Courier and KB sat off to the side together, Doug had a book in hand and was reading with the kind of leisurely pace reserved for something you never intend to finish and are only looking at because you have nothing better. KB was curled up and sleeping, she did that a lot since being freed from James’ camp. Doug hoped that her dreams would provide her whatever therapy he could not.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Bah!" Calypso exclaimed at last. A glance at KB caused her to drop her tone a few registers.

"It's no good," she admits quietly. "She and I made this...maybe if she and I worked together again, we could control it. But I think not." She spits into the fireplace and smirks as it sizzles.

"No storm should last for this long, through cold and hot, wind and calm, and over land. I think either something's still powering it...or it's something the world has not seen before."

Originally Posted By: Lily
"No storm should last for this long, through cold and hot, wind and calm, and over land. I think either something's still powering it...or it's something the world has not seen before."
Doug glances at KB, then sends over the link,

(rotated to everyone in the room who is awake) *If KB and I took that trip to K-Bec we've been talking about we'd find out if the storm is following us around.*

Courier sends back,

*No, I'm not, but I don't think it's him directly. Maybe it's Squid's old commands, or maybe it's a nightmare, or maybe this has nothing to do with her.*

*She could spend some time in that anti-quantum bubble, but I don't think she'd go without me and I don't want to be without my powers. Short of that we can go to K-bec, that's got to be out of range and it'd pay better.*

Calypso considers, and shakes her head.

This storm started far from here, and remained even after we came back. I do not think range is limiting her. But she may be drawing it to herself. Moving her would answer that question at least.

Gregory had mostly kept to himself over the last four months. What he had been doing is observing. For his entire life he had wandered, hiding from the aberrants and gangs, and stealing what food he could to survive. Because of his isolation from most people, Gregory never gained a command of language. What he spoke, he had picked up in his journeys. Now, he was learning to speak the language better just by being around those who talked often.

The snow storm, that raged outside, was captivating. He had seen storms before, but not something as violent and long as the one that plagued Newborough. The window he pressed his face against was cold, and uncomfortable. For a while, it seemed as if the elements would spare him from their fury. Unfortunately, this storm was, according to what the others were saying, caused by both KB and Calypso.

The newcomers were refreshing. He didn't know them too well, but then again, he had a habit of staying distant from others. It made things easier when they died. He was very curious of the quiet newcomer. She watched everyone too.

The conversation dies and and everybody returns to their previous activities. Courier goes back to his half-hearted reading and Calypso returns to her meditation.

Gregory and Seven stare out the window watching as the snow swirls and drifts into piles. Above the sky begins to flash, blue-white light illuminating the layered storm clouds and backlightign the falling snow. Over the howl of the wind low rumbles can be heard.

Months ago this storm was created and here it sat right of the top of them dumping snow on the area. Something was definitely not right here. People were likely to die if this kept up. Not everyone could afford to heat their homes as well as Raider could, the old and infirm would be suffering and soon there would be discovery of frozen bodies where fires died in the night and people froze in their beds.

Raider finally put his book of schematics down in disgust. As he got up he put another log on the fire and looked to Calypso. "Do you think it is possible for you and KB to work together to try and push the storm away from the city? I don't think we can last more than another day or two before some of the elderly or sick start dieing from the cold. It's bad enough here in a normal winter, but with this weather people can't get out and restock supplies."

Gregory strained to listen to the low rumbling noise. He gently coaxed the tiniest bit of quantum into his eardrums, as he focused on the noise. He hoped the window would not muffle the sound too much, otherwise, he would have to brave the outdoors for a minute or two. There was someting unnatural outside.

He shrugged his shoulders at the idea that others in Newborough would die from the storm. Right now, he was in a selfish mood. Whereas before he would have welcomed natures culling of the population numbers as a means to get more food, now he was ambivalent. For some reason, since his expedition to Squddie's camp, he hadn't really been that hungry. He would eat, but it seemed as if it was to enjoy the taste of food, rather than for sustenance. Since food was no a concern, survival would now be easier. Of course the storm outside could still get him, of that, he was sure.

He wondered why he just didn't leave. No-one ever recognized his help or accomplishments anyways. Maybe it was time to go somewhere that people appreciated his talents. Of course he would have to wait for the storm to end.

Doug wonders if it was really all that bad out there. He didn't feel all that cold and KB wasn't having any problems. Then he recalls that it was harder to buy bread this morning, and realizes that there were very few people on the streets any more and most of them were novas.

*Oh.*

(Sent to KB) *KB? You awake?* There's no response.

*Oh. Right.*

Doug says gently,

"KB? You awake?"

Outside the flashes continue, increasing in frequency. The rumbling becomes much louder and soon they begin to be heard over the howling wind. Gregory listens and determines that the lightening is approaching from the northwest. At this rate they will be overhead soon.

It appears that KB is still fast asleep until Doug asks, at which point she opens one eye and nods. As the flashes become obvious to those not looking out the window and the thunder begins to assert itself over the other noises of the storm KB looks to Doug, "Something isn't right ... that lightening ..."

Calypso herself is thinking the same thing, while winter weather is seldom normal or predictable it is very rare to have lightening during a blizzard and the sheer number and frequency of strikes is just ... wrong.

Calypso goes over to KB and sits down near the girl.

"This is our storm," she says without preamble. "It is not natural. I can't change it alone, but I was thinking together we might have a chance."

She offers her hands to her counterpart.

"Will you try with me?"

Raider looks concerned as he cocks his head listening to lightning that shouldn't exist. Looking around the room to the others. "Folks, I think we should be prepared to retreat to safer parts of the shop if this thing goes bad. There is a cellar door under the storage room just the kitchen. It leads down to a basement where I keep the food stores. That should be about as safe as we can get. Anyone who wants to can head down there now, I'll just run unlock it quickly." He heads through the kitchen and into the storage pantry and then reaches through the floor and there is a loud 'thunk' noise as if a heavy board just hit the floor. "Be careful, there are stairs but they are pretty rickety."

Seven frowned, the tip of her tail lashing urgently as she glanced between Calypso and KB. If this was the same storm, someone had to be controlling it. Only the one they called 'squidward' needed someone to control KB to keep weather under their thumb. Was that someone still doing it?

Rising from her seat, she gave Gregory a small smile and nodded in the direction Raider had gone, then turned, walking over to Doug.

*hide* she sent, glancing up at the ceiling. *far*

She pointed to KB, Calypso and Doug, then pointed south. Turning back, Seven nodded at KB and stared with troubled eyes at Doug.

"The storm's coming from direction of K-Bec." Gregory broke his long period of silence, as he pulled his face from the window. He smiled back at the silent, tail lashing nova, as he followed her to the cellar. As he reached to rickety stairway leading down, he stopped.

"I want to look at storm as it pass. Someone needs to watch." Gregory was frightened of thunder, having been traumatized by it on the blighted plains. Still, if this storm was un-natural, as the others said, he had to look for himself. He turned and walked over to where the coats were hung, and began to put one on.

Guest Kelly Bolt

Kelly looks at Calypso for a moment, she appears uncomfortable and leans back into Courier's arms, "No."

For a moment the silence is deafning and KB quickly realizes what she has said, "We cannot ... do you not feel it?" She pauses as though waiting for a response, "That storm is no longer ... ours ... it is ... alive ... evil." She shudders and turns away burying her face in Doug's chest, drawing her legs up on to the sofa.

Guest Kelly Bolt

Her head still pressing against Doug's chest Kelly turns somewhat to allow her to speak clearly. "Extend your senses again ... reach past the storm ... there is something there ... something maintaining and ... and directing what we created ... it feels familiar ..." At this point she is near tears and shaking, whether from fright, anger, or something else, nobody can tell.

Originally Posted By: Kelly Bolt
Kelly looks at Calypso for a moment, she appears uncomfortable and leans back into Courier's arms, "No."
Doug shifts both of his arms around her in a protective gesture.

Originally Posted By: Kelly Bolt
Her head still pressing against Doug's chest Kelly turns somewhat to allow her to speak clearly. "Extend your senses again ... reach past the storm ... there is something there ... something maintaining and ... and directing what we created ... it feels familiar ..." At this point she is near tears and shaking, whether from fright, anger, or something else, nobody can tell.
The other shoe drops and things become clearer.

Courier says,

"Right. Squidy *needed* you, and not just for blackmale. Only thing that counters a weather manip is another weather manip. So there had to be another one somewhere, and Calyso didn't get involved until right before the raid."

"And he or she knew about Squid and vise versa... another faction out of that city? Somebody must have felt threatened by what he was up to."

Calypso gives Doug a puzzled look.

"I didn't feel anyone but Kelly fighting over the storm with me at the time. And anyone who can control this storm so completely, and feed it for so long..." She shakes her head.

"I'll see what more I can feel."

She settles back and closes her eyes, letting herself be drawn up and away from herself, feeling the surge and ebb of water in the air, freezing as it was, water on the wind, water in the clouds. Trying to sense what power besides the residual quantum imprint that she and Kelly had put onto it might now be holding it together and preventing her from exerting control over it.

Gregory donned the coat, a hat, and some heavy gloves while listening to the others converse. Before he could get out the door Seven came to him and gave him a silent hug the look on her face conveyed both worry and concern, over the situation in general and Gregory's own actions. Seven then descended the stairs into Raider's basement followed by KB pulling Courier behind her. Raider himself stayed above already shifted out of phase and standing like a ghost next to Calypso as the young woman sat on the floor and tried to peer into the storm once more.

Gregory pulled open the heavy wooden door and stared out at the blowing wind past the storm door. The snow had piles against the second glass and metal door and was going to make it difficult to push the outer door open. Heaving on the door he forced the snow to give way. Some of it was torn from the drift and sent spiraling into the night while the remaining crunched and compacted. The door got about half open before the snow was too much weight. Not wanting to damage the door Gregory simply squeezed himself out through the available space, pulling the wooden door closed behind him, and into the fury of the storm.

As soon as he let got of the storm door the wind slammed it shut against the house, the sound all but lost as the blizzard howled. The stoop of Raider's home was crotch deep with snow and Gregory could see that it was only because of the effects of the wind that the drift was a small as it was. Wading out into the freezing white blanket Gregory quickly found that the snow was nearly four feet deep where the wind had not scooped out material only to pile it elsewhere.

Gregory moved slowly, deliberately, into the middle of the street. Here the snow was less deep, perhaps only three feet, and the full force of the wind swept between the houses and garages forcing the snow before it and stripping any heat that it could away from the owner. Gregory shivered; it was cold, colder than he could remember for a long time. Looking up Gregory peered into the night and into the belly of the storm. He had to shield his eyes from the wind and blowing snow with his hands but he was able to see that the clouds rolled and boiled while the lightening continued to close towards Newborough. Gregory had almost no warning, only the familiar tingle at the edge of his mind, before the lightening struck. He tossed himself away from the bolt with barely any time to spare as a lance of electric plasma connected the ground to the clouds for the briefest of moments. Covered by snow he saw as the electric pole exploded into splinters and collapsed. The few street lights suddenly died, their lifeblood cut away.

Inside Calypso was focused on the storm. She ignored Raider’s presence nearby but was reassured by it none-the-less. Reaching out he extended her senses into the storm she once again felt the quantum imprint of her power and that of KB. They had created the storm there was little doubt in her mind of that, but following Kelly’s suggestion she pushed deeper, refined her senses, and followed the quantum field that sustained this storm. Deeper, she dove and soon she could sense something; something, or someone, was maintaining the storm with fresh quantum energy, they were forcing the storm to continue long after the quantum that she and KB had put into it would had dispersed. Pushing deeper still she felt another signature, and sensed the malevolent evil, something fueled by hatred and quantum power, a being that was driving the storm.

Suddenly the room lit up like daytime, bathed in the blue-white light of lightening. The hairs on Calypso’s body stood on end and then a massive concussion rattled the windows. Silence and darkness fell. The only sound was the howling of the wind once more. The power was out and the only light came from the occasional lightening above and the cracking fire in the hearth.

He was lying on his back in a snowdrift staring at the flashing sky. The bolt had come close to killing him and he began to wonder if coming outside was a dumb idea. But he was outside in the cold and snow, with a quantum fueled storm raging overhead, and he had to make the best of it.

He pulled himself out of the snowbank, and brushed what snow he could from himself. He would listen for sounds of any residents who might need help, even though he was not sure what aid he could render.

Walking down the steps holding Kelly's hand, Doug tried to shift the link to her and failed. Then he tried to shift the link to Gregory since he seemed determined to play "point" man.

*How is it outside Gregory?*

Outloud he says,

"Any chance you gals can give me a direction on our third weather nova? Say, enough to go looking for her"

"No," Calypso says abruptly, opening her eyes.

"Whatever has taken this storm could be anywhere within a wide range."

She scowls and looks down for a moment, then leans over and shakes Kelly's shoulder. "We can try to take it back. Together we might be strong enough."

Guest Kelly Bolt

KB stops partway down the stairs, "We are not. And if we dared to try and fail we would only fuel the storm." She continues down into the basement as the lightnight strikes outside cutting the power and plunging the room in darkness only broken by the fluttering orange glow of the fire. Below her the basement, a dark hole swallowing the dim light, now beckons like the hungry maw of a deamon.

When the power goes out, Calypso scowls. As much because she knows KB is right as anything else. The knowledge burns.

She gets to her feet and joins the crew heading down.

"In a storm like this, I do not think the lightning strikes at random. The thing that has taken control of the storm may be closer than I thought. Some thought should be given to defending ourselves."

Gregory sends back: The sky is filled with lightning. The storm seems to be alive. There is a lot of snow. I am going to look around. I'll be back shortly.

Gregory was able to see his way around, because of the constant flashing. he circled his way around the buildings, never getting further than 50 yards away. He was mindfull of where the shop lay, in respect to his current location. After completing a full circle of the immediate area, with his hearing focused on sounds beyond the thunder, Gregory will return to the shop.

Doug walks back and over to a lamp and unscrews the bulb, then comments,

"Gregory says there's a massive amount of lightning around. If it's a direct attack, how do we deal with it?"

This is hard. Doug was used to thinking with his muscles and this wasn't the sort of thing you could hit or lift. It wasn't like a mass of metal I-beams that he could shift around... wait a moment.

Doug says to everyone,

"How about a big lightning rod? Or maybe even several. Would that work? We've got metal I-beams to spare. I could drill a couple into the ground, maybe Raider could even bond them into the ground."

Gregory plows through the snow, light and fluffy though it may be, its depth makes moving about more than a little difficult. Maintaining his enhanced hearing he struggles to hear anything through the near constant thunder. Looking back toward the center of the city he sees that the power has gone out there as well. In fact only the lightening stabbing down into the city itself allows him to make out anything beyond a few feet in front of him. Gregory makes a circuit of the immediate area and returns to the front door. Even with his hearing he can make out nothing apart from the thunder, wind, and the conversation inside.

Handing the bulb to KB she concentrates for a moment and converts a portion of quantum into electricity. The bulb begins to glow once more and she heads down into the basement the light banishing the darkness and shadows. Seven, Calypso, Doug and Fox all join her. Though the basement is somewhat chilly it is less drafty than the house itself and so within a few moments everybody beings to feel comfortable again.

Archived