Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chaper 1: Fracture-session 2

Justin OOC

Saito sighs heavily before he speaks.

"I would like to know why you have waited so long to take action against this threat to school safety. The Student Council should have been notified after the first murder."

Saito stops for a second and lowers his head.

"Not only that, but you know as well as I that my brother spends many late nights studying on school grounds.....he could have been a victim as well."

Saito turns toward Hayami with rage in his voice.

"So, why is it after seven students have been slain that we are now taking action!!!!???

"Because we had to wait Saito. Beuracracy is something that can tie even my hands. There those that even I must answer to and they would not allow me or anyone else to act on this information. I was simply forced to make it go away and handle things."

He continues walking, his bearing still perfect. "Even the faculty really doesn't know everything that's happened Saito. I've stuck my neck way out for all of this as it is. Whatever's done this, it isn't human and only those like you and the others I've gathered here can handle them."

He turns to look at Saito and gives him a faint smile. "Saito you were never in any danger or have you failed to see what the link between all of this is? What is the one unifying factor beyond that they were all slain here?"

Saito turns back to Hayami after regaining a bit of his composure.

"You Excellency with all due respect, I personally do not care what the link is in all of this."

Saito steps forward, raises his fist and then brings it to his side.

"I am a soldier, my job is to defend this school and all who would threaten it's safety...nothing else."

Georgi watched as the his two 'partners' defied the orders that they were given. With a 'Doh!' expression on his face he slapped his forehead. This is going to be a looong night. he told himself, as he rose from his chair and headed in search of his partners.

He was using his senses to their maximum effect. He was trying to key on Valeries scent, and was simultaneously trying hear for other footsteps in the vicinity. He was having a hard time picking out Valerie's scent over Kongou's cooking, but he could hear footsteps. He moved cautiously, always watching and looking for things that didn't belong.

These two girls are going to drive me to drink. he mumbled to himself, as he shook his head. Georgi moved towards the set of footfalls that he could hear with his 'special' gym bag in hand.

(OOC: Stat rolls of 17(smell) and 21(hear) to hunt down the two girls.)

"But an officer has a right to understand his orders Lieutenant." He seemed somewhat disappointed in the Assault squad leader but let it pass. They reach the locker room and its shower facilities and it's easy to see they've already seen use.

"I thought this is where he'd go first." He unbuttons the collar of his shirt and nods to Saito.

"Unless you have other matters to discuss or wish to take a shower in one of the other stalls that will be all. Be back in the room at six PM sharp, and Lieutenant, Load for lethal force. I could not say it publicly, but I will in private. I authorize lethal force for this mission. Keep everything said here to yourself, I will deny it if asked. Our patrol begins at 0100, be sure you're ready for duty and well rested. I'll be counting on you."

((OOC with regards to Georgi You find them both pretty easy after a few minutes of following your senses. I'll leave it to the three of you where you find them. The only place I forbit is the Library or near it. for the moment))

Saito turns his back on Hayami as he undresses and begins to speak to the President with his back turned.

"Your Excellency, when you say "I thought this is where he'd go first", you are refering to Morisato arent you?"

Saito moves to the door way and checks for any in the other stalls and the hallway.

"He is the key to all of this...isnt he"?

Ariel absent-mindedly watches the room full of people empty, leaving only Ryo and Naien. Ryo she knew from her Kendo class, and Naien she knew almost nothing about. Naien was focused on her book, and has been entirely too quiet, and Ryo was not far from that. He was over in a corner with a futon and some electronic device.

She moved towards her duffle bag and knelt next to it. "Ryo, we have a few minutes. Care to practice some?"

"In more ways than you can possibly imagine Saito, in many more. There are so many paths to walk, and we have all been blessed to walk this one together." He lays his clothes on the bench and then enters the stall with only his towel.

"We are all here now, and the future looms menacingly on the horizon and is fast approaching. You will need all your strength to face it, you and your machine. Your strength, your resolve, your courage and tenacity, everything will be tested, all weaknesses exposed. The same will hold true for us all."

The water turns on and the president becomes silent with only the sound of running water heard in the room.

Naien hmms and everyone leaves. This situation was hardly what she was expecting to be in but really couldn't have asked for a better one. It definately was interesting for her to observe at least. She did find the whole thing a bit odd. Why wouldn't the school close under these circumstances? Perhaps she needed to reevaluate some things.

The room was empty now except for Ryo and Atsushi and she speaks, though not really to either of them, just in general to the room, "So what do you think's been killing people here?"

The school was different after dark. A half-lit maze that seemed to twist and turn when her mental map insisted it was straight. Distracted for a moment from Valerie when Amaya went a different direction, Lily decided to go after Valerie. But by then the fleet high school girl had already gone around a corner. Lily followed the sound of her feet, but the echoes were strange...too loud...too many. She wasn't even sure where in the school she was anymore...

Lily comes around the corner and spies Valerie at last. Relaxing a bit, she goes to the girl and leans on the wall next to her to catch her breath.

"You're pretty fast when you want to be," she points out. "Are you okay? Did you see Amaya or Kai? Or...anyone?"

He honed in on a pair of footsteps. Eventually they stopped, and he could hear someone speaking. The two had stopped near the music room. I wonder if these two realize how much danger they are putting themselves in by running off like that. Coach Georgi concluded as walked up to the two girls.

"I'm not letting the two of you get away that easily." He said with a mischevious look on his face.

Ryo nods to Ariel then reaches into his shirt thru the neckline. From it he pulls his Kendo Stick and walks into a portion of the room that is more open than the rest. He answers Naien in the same faction the question was answered. "Well most people would think I'm crazy so my input typically doesn't matter, but it's probably some sort of alien, and I don't necisarily mean extra-terrestrial, they don't exist, I just mean it's something foreign to the area. That's all I've got to go on."

In reality Ryo had a much more involved and convoluted theory about extra dimensional monsters that followed him when he first came to earth, but he didn't dare say that here, people were already very high strung.

He speaks to Ariel again. "I am ready whenever you are Sensai"

Amaya threw one last longing glance into the darkness of the hallways behind her, then followed Kongou back to the room. She remained a step or two behind, mostly so that she could watch his butt as he jogged ahead of her. Normally, the coat hid it, but with the up and down motion of his body, it rose and fell, offering her tantilizing glimpses of his taut ass.

The room came too quickly for her tastes, but Amaya knew that she didn't have the luxury to stare at him forever. She had a school to protect, and a frightened, grieving boyfriend to find and console. This, she thought as Kongou stepped into the room before smiling back at her, is going to be a long night.

Lily nods at the coach. "We're all right," she says, glancing at Valerie quickly for confirmation.

"Just couldn't let my teammate run off without any backup! We should probably go find Amaya or Kai before they get into trouble though."

Valerie was slowly walking down the hallway, it was dark and the wind swept through the field besides it in the creepiest possible way when Lily appeared out of nowhere behind her, of course she didn't knew it was her and she did what any other gierl her age would do. "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Valerie jumped from the ground and into one of the window frames a classroom had left open. "Why did you do that to me!" Lily looked at Valerie like nothing had happened, and Georgi came down the hallway saying something about not leaving them alone. "But...But what about Senpai?" Valerie sniffled as she followed both Lily and Georgi back to the council room.

Mr. Kongou smiles back at Amaya as they reach the room, then he proceeds to, very carefully, clean up the smashed chicken and ziti. "Be careful. Walking on chicken and ziti can be hazardous to your health." He chuckles to show he's just joking, and turns to the others, "So, anyone else need to use the bathroom, or showers? Use this time to do so... and remember, no one goes off alone."

Coach Illiyev gave Lily a sympathetic look. "I know that you want to look for the others. I do too. The important thing is that we stay together, as a team. If one of us runs off, they put themself and their teammates in danger."

Georgi wanted to go after the wayward students as well. But something told him that they would be better off if each knew what the others had planned.

He turns to the other two, and stops. "OK. Here's what we can do. Since all of us are here, we can look for the others...as a team....If that is what you still want to do."

It was a warm summer day. Hiroko and Kai had come to the beach with Mai and and Atsushi and a group of their classmates. The smell of ramen and udon mingled with the ocean breeze to tantalize the senses of everyone. The Volleyball net was set up and Kai, Hiroko, Goh and Mai squared off against Seiya, Kazuki, Misaki and Haruka. President Hayami sat with Ms. Ninomai underneath an umbrella sipping a soft drink, every now and then he'd look up and smile at the others. He'd actually laughed when Kai got whacked in the head by the ball as it bounced up and Mai leapt up and spiked it hard to the other side. "I always said if he'd use his head he'd do well." Even though it had hurt, Kai had picked himself up from the sand and laughed it off. "Nice set-up Kai." Mai had run her hand on his shoulder, drawing looks from all the men playing, and Hiroko turned beet-red. It was a happy memory.

Later Everyone had gone for food, but there was only enough room for eight at the blanket. Kai had opted to eat by the surf, and Hiroko quickly followed him. She watched him, as he watched her, their eyes meeting many times as they ate, but she'd always break contact first and then blush a bit. He'd look away and continue eating. He could feel the back of his neck burning, which meant of course that all eight at the blanket were listening and watching.

He set his empty box aside and looked out at the blue water and closed his eyes. He listened to the sounds of other beach goers at play, enjoying the warm breeze and the beauty of a clean beach. "Kai." It was Hiroko's quiet voice, full of the same innocence he'd always felt his duty to protect. he opened his steel-grey eyes and turned his head. "Yeah Hiri-chan?"

His pet name made her smile and blush and look away all at once. "There's.... there's.. there's something I need to tell you, but I...I..I'm scared."

She looked half-ready to tear up so he reacted without thinking. He put his arm around her. "Hiroko, I'm here for you, I'll always be here for you. You don't have to be scared of my reaction, you can tell me anything." She looked up at him, her eyes watering.. He knew the words she'd say, theyere the same he'd longed to tell her, but hadn't been strong enough. He saw the same depth of love in her eyes, that his own were showing her. Right at that moment Seiya chose to shout "Go for it man it's only been HOW many years?!?!"

She quickly blushed and looked away, and even Kai blushed, but he didn't let go of her shoulder. "It's ok hiroko, Don't mind the ignorant jerk." his voice was loud enough to be sure that everyone heard, and he could hear the others chewing out Seiya already. But his attention was focused on Hiroko. Her hand rested on his left knee and he tenderly placed his free right hand on top of it, lacing his fingers into hers. He looked out at the sea again and felt her head rest against his shoulder as he instinctively pulled her closer. "We have time Hiroko, I'm not going anywhere."

The memory played in his mind along with all the others they'd shared growing up together. He wept until he had no tears left, until his strength left him. It felt like his soul had been removed.

He tried desperately to think of Amaya, but he simply couldn't bring up the same emotions. She was smart and funny and beautiful, but there wasn't that connection. She was a Dream girl for any highschool student, male or female, but she wasn't Hiroko. Amaya was a good freind and someone he trusted implicitly, but she wasn't Hiroko. She was gone and he could never say the words he needed to say to her. Then he heard the voice. "Yes Kai, she's gone now but you can have her back. You know a way. Your Soul remembers a way to reuinte you with her. Leave them all behind you now Kai, Let me worry about them. Open this gateway and you'll have your Hiroko back, but first you must say the names carved into your soul. You can tell her your fondest wish, the one you've hidden, the one you've denied for so long. You can say the word etched into your heart and know that happiness at long last."

"I..I...I don't know any names. I can't remember...." Look harder Kai, look deep within your memories. She read you the names once, she said they were names of the soul. She told you hers, She told you yours. Say it Kai, say the name and unlock the gate. You have the power to reach out and grasp what you desire, what your soul aches for, but you must first unlock that path." Grief-stricken, despondant, Kai begain to recite the Litany of Souls.

"Omphalos, the center..." The outline of a hexagon array at the center of a cirle began to form, centered on Kai. It spanned the entire campus.

"Aradia the northern spire..." A point in the North began to glow and a pillar of silver light rose into the sky and suffused the pattern.

"Enid the Northeastern spire..." A point at the Northeast began to glow, sending a pillar of green energy into the sky and the pattern.

"Cathedral the Northwestern pire..." A point in the Northwest Blazed with golden light suffusing the pattern with it's power.

"Ikaris, the Southeastern spire..." A point in the Southeast burned with scarlett red light, sending it's power coursing into the pattern.

Imago, the Southwestern spire...." A point in the Southwest began to shine a brilliant blue light, it's power flowing into the pattern like water.

Bazaroth the Southern spire..." A point in the South began to shine, sending up a pillar of endless black light, and suffusing the pattern with its power.

As Kai spoke their names ancient text began forming in the outer ring of the array. When he finished, it too began to emit neutral light. The array was finished and the gateway revealed for what it was. From the six points for the other six worlds energy pulsed and cascaded in sequence, the ground began to shake. In each Pillar of light the glyph for the world name shone brightly. The ancient text of the runes ringing the entire display began to shift reflecting the order of the names, and which gate would be unlocked.

"Finish it Kai, unlock the gate to where the creature took her soul. Only then can you have her back."

His body radiated with light in a similar pattern as the outside, the symbol for Infinity Itself blazing on his forhead. His voice was soft, barely a whisper. "Unlock, Bazaroth."

There was a resounding crash of thunder that shattered every glass in the school and the Earth shook violently. The six portions of the gateway seal disconnected from the center circle and rose through the air. Black Energy corruscated across the entire design as the six panels continued their movement, coming to rest in the form of a six pointed star. The ring of text spun furiously in a clockwise motion, while the six points of the star spun counter clockwise. They stopped in a final allignment and The world went black, and from the depths everyone could hear the baying of a thousand hounds, the grunting of beasts, the cackling of lesser demons, the moans of the damned, and the soft whisper of One above them all. "I am free."

Amaya blushed at Kongou's jibe, but she chuckled along with everyone else. She leaned against the doorway, nervously waiting for signs that the teams were forming up. She didn't like standing here idle when Kai was alone in the night.

A shadow next to the desk thickened; Amaya gaped in disbelief as a piece of darkness pulled itself away and stumbled into the light. Unerringly, it moved toward her and pressed itself to her legs. Amaya almost swatted at the creature, but the strange noise coming from it stopped her.

"Dr’yrllx?" she asked, dropping to her knees and picking the sobbing spirit up. Despite having no substance, she was able to cradle it in her arms. "What's wrong?"

<He... Kheyyy... nooooo! Noooo!,> the shadow spirit hiccupped, its insubstantial voice somehow still completely audible. <"The ghaaaaate... the Khey is in the loooock... it's turning! The Black Gate will oooooooopen!>

Amaya looked straight at Kongou, and there was fear in her blue eyes. "Kai..." she whispered, then dropped her attention back to the shivering creature in her arms. It had the mind of a child, and was useful for spying and simple tasks; its fear of the gate was almost overwhelming it. She mumbled, "The Black Gate!? That means… my God. He’s a real Skeleton Key! Where is he!? ” She shook the spirit a little. “Dr’yrllx! Tell me where!"

"Bhoooooks!" Dr’yrllx shrieked. "He is in bhooooooks!"

"In books?" Amaya asked, floored for a second. This was a school; there had to be millions of books-

"Hiroko Asahina was found here in the same library chair she sat in every day to read."

"Hiroko's death is a blow to him I wish I could have softened, as they were a couple in all ways except formally."

"The library," Amaya barked, jumping to her feet. Dr’yrllx moaned against her chest as it hid its face, totally terrorized. "C'mon! We have to stop him! Before he destroys us all!" She didn't look behind her, but ran headlong into the darkness, wondering if she were already too late.

[OOC: Amaya's soul check: 18, to avoid being terrified herself.

Her mind check: 13, to figure out what "Books" means.]

Kongou almost jumped when the shadow approached Amaya, and did jump when it spoke. He then looked at the ground, and stared at it until the mention of the Black Gate. His head snaps around and he looks right at Amaya, his face gone white and his expression one of fear and shock. We have much to discuss. Kongou then curses at the mention of the library and runs out the door just behind Amaya, grabbing his briefcase as he does so.

As they run for the library at top speed, Kongou stares ahead into the darkness, "I should have spotted it sooner. I just hope we're in time." Behind the blue-haired girl, Kongou can now watch her run. It is a night for surprises, for Amaya dashes in a low crouch. Kongou's seen this before; after her knowledge about the Gate, it isn't a huge surprise that she had some Kage training. Her near-silent run and short leaps still raise more questions about the young girl. Where did she learn that? What clan is she from? Damn, why'd it have to happen inside the school... If the worst happens, then I'll HAVE to summon it here. He spots the library up ahead with a light on, and looks at Amaya, "There... But where in the library is he?" Kongou tries to stop in front of the door, but he continues on past the door as he slides to a stop a few feet away. He looks down and slaps his forehead as he remembers he's wearing dress shoes. He then turns around and runs into the library after Amaya. After their eyes adjust to the sudden light, they spot Kai standing in front of a series of glowing symbols and text. Kongou curses out loud as Kai finishes speaking, with the phrase "Unlock, Bazaroth". When the thunder hits, Kongou looks up, as he hears the skylight shatter. He tackles Amaya out of the way as the glass lands where they both were standing. Kongou sighs and stands, watching the portal open, a dark and determined expression on his face.

[OOC: Soul Roll to not panic: 14; Athletics roll to keep his balance while sliding: 13]

Archived