Aberrant: 2011 - Municipal Defender

Clayton the Smith

I was having a conversation with one of the other members of this forum, and the title 'Municipal Defenders' was brought into debate.

I thought I had a pretty standard definition and idea as to what a municipal defender was, but apparently it is much more than what the standard definition would indicate. So I ask all of you.. what is the absolute definition to a Municipal Defender, and what name is given to the people who strictly defend the municipal?

-------------------------

And hello. I am Transonic, and I am a true, and old fashioned Municipal Defender. No money, no lies. Just a hidden identity, and a great responsibility.

The strict defenders are called "cops".

(I'll copy my other post over here).

Originally Posted By: Transonic
Well, what I am trying to get at is that your title, Municipal Defender, is misleading.
So call it "first citizen" if you wish... although I'm pretty sure "Firemen" take cats out of trees on occassion.

What she really is most of the time is a totem. All the various sports teams I follow have them, an animal or something that's supposed to be strong or swift. And usually they also have a dude in a costume too, or maybe a real "huskey" or "bulldog".

We elites do the same thing. "Gorehound", "Totentanz" (Orchestra music meaning Dance of Death), "Gatecrusher", and so on. Can you tell I paid attention in DV's marketing class?

It's symbolic and good marketing and people a whole lot smarter than me claim it's pretty important. Something about by taking it's name you hope to take a little piece of it's "magic".

Ditto with P3. The city and it's people use her as a symbol of their importance and power. The whole thing is basically a massive compliment to her and her power. Serious teams don't take weak totems.

Municipal - having to do with some characteristic of a municipality.

Defender - a person who cares for people or property.

"Municipal Defender" = A person who cares for the people and property within a municipality.

How is that misleading? Pretty cut and dry.

What's the confusion?

.. what is the absolute definition to a Municipal Defender...

Dummkopf egoistisch who whore themselve for money, fame and berechtigung.

...and what name is given to the people who strictly defend the municipal?

Polizei.

A city, or township, would have to be in a pretty bad way if the prime responsibility of their Municipal Defender was to actually defend the place. No MD does this that I'm aware of. Mostly they select ways to make the life of their chosen metropolis better with the blessings of the elected officials. It's not difficult, doesn't require an ego, and allows you to see more of your chosen home ground.

There are times when I wish I had the support of the local city and county governments in my home town, but then I would probably chafe with the diminished freedom. Unlike a Municipal Defender, I am more of a Benevolent Vigilante. I try to stay on the right side of the law. I do feel that doing right is more important, but not getting caught is right up there too.

Originally Posted By: Aesira
What is offered to a nova to make this kind of activity worth their while?

I'd say it depends on the nova, sugar. Some of us do things because they believe that they must be done; some want attention, and some want money. I'd guess for an 'official' defender, the city would make a money offer, and the nova in question would accept or decline.

Originally Posted By: Hero
There are times when I wish I had the support of the local city and county governments in my home town, but then I would probably chafe with the diminished freedom. Unlike a Municipal Defender, I am more of a Benevolent Vigilante. I try to stay on the right side of the law. I do feel that doing right is more important, but not getting caught is right up there too.

You be careful, hon. You're walking a dangerous line, there.

Okay. Obviously my point didn't come across as much as I would have liked it, though apparently Hero knows what I am talking about.

Batman. Spiderman. Daredevil. The Flash? Maybe The Flash. I don't read much Flash.

Each of them protect their own cities in some kind of way. They don't fuck around with getting their pictures taken with the mayor and reading because, frankly, there are more important things to take care of. Like Crime.

The police do it for a paycheck. Others do it for fame. Others do it for a fortune.

What I am describing is someone who selflessly uses their gifts to protect the city and those within. I know the that is the cops job, and they do a damn fine job, but they can't be everywhere at once. I am 'aiding' the police in their duties, without pay nor recognision.

What is that called? Benevolent Vigilante? I had always assumed Municipal Defender, but having to talked to Pew, I am regretting having put myself under that catagory.

Oh, and Primal? I had to look through like ten dictionaries and three websites to find that definition for Defender. Good job being obscure.

Originally Posted By: Hero
Thank you Ms. Bath. I think we both know that independence isn't safe, but neither would we give it up for safety's sake.

I think you misunderstand me. I wasn't encouraging you; I was warning you. Regardless of whether you try to stay on the right side of the law, you will find that they don't appreciate even the most useful of outside aid. It isn't called the Blue Shield for nothing.

What I am describing is someone who selflessly uses their gifts to protect the city and those within.

What is that called?

Does it need a title? Does everything a person does require them to tag it in some way that will allow them some means of identifying it?

Sonic, you do not need to call it anything. If you wish to help then help. If you have to call it anything try calling it being a decent man with set of ideals that guide him down a noble path.

You are Transonic, a selfless man with a noble spirit. Stop thinking over it so much and just follow your heart. While you’re in here brooding over what to call yourself people are out there in need of a hero and going without.

There is a nice young woman here in London who plays the part of 'municipal Defender'. I find it fascinating that here in Britain we need such things, but with all the other Novas running about, I suppose some will choose to do evil. Anyways, London Fogg, as she calls herself, really spends most of her time as a spokesperson who does charity and shows up at hospital openings.

What I'm getting at is; a municipal defender is there keep the people happy and to augment the city's morale.

Oh, and Primal? I had to look through like ten dictionaries and three websites to find that definition for Defender. Good job being obscure.

Go to Google. Type 'define: defender'.

1st thing that comes up (and I mean the VERY first thing: "A person who cares for persons or property ."

Are you stupid as well as confused?

*Points a thumb back at Primal*

Get a load of this guy. Is it his job to be a total douche?

Given your obvious mastery of the English language, Mr. Transonic, as exemplified in the delightful epithet, "total douche," I must confess that I am thoroughly at a loss as to why you might have any difficulty with the ideological concept of a défenseur municipal.

Perhaps you might try something a bit more readily comprehensible-
waste management, for instance.

First, I would point out that in my original post I had said 'Total douche.' Immediately I went back and changed it to ass, because I decided not to be a 'Total douche', and only a partial 'douche'.

And, oh yeah, I love that. French? Waste management? Man, you are just so intelligent. Man, if I could only become cognizant of your insults and snide remarks than perhaps I could retaliate with an equally, or dare I, exceptionally sophisticated and superior derision pertaining to your 'epic burn'. Sorry, guess I need to sharpen my mind to maintain a acceptable level of reputation. Maybe than I could have my own little waste management posse.

*Points a thumb back at Primal*

Get a load of this guy. Is it his job to be a total ass?

Naw kid, I'm just being logical. I'm not a smart guy, and I can readily admit that, but since you've arrived tht barbed tongue of yours has pretty much placed you in a corner that will leave novas honestly not giving a shit about you or your problems.

You've apparently managed to piss that P3 kid off, and now you're working on me. The difference is TS, I'll find you and make you bleed.

You accuse me of being vague, yet you apparently were the only one who couldn't locate the definition. As a fellow nova, I'm trying to help you kid, or rather I was trying to help you.

You keep up that attitude kid and I'm not the only one who will cut your cord. You seem alone out there, keep that attitude up, and you will be for sure.

I know it's easy to be brave when you think I don't know where you are, but you see I can find out. You don't want that. Learn some respect for those who've in the game a bit longer than you have kid. Get your feet wet then start tossing around quips with the big boys. You're still to green, I can back up what I say, I know you can't.

The fact that you keep changing your posts (or erasing them completely) is pretty much proof that you have no spine.

[[[OOC If Waste Management Posse is refering to The Pack I'd like to point out that The Pack is not general knowledge yet and TS better have a good reason how he knows about it.]]]

I was having a conversation with one of the other members of this forum, and the title 'Municipal Defenders' was brought into debate.

You're using the passive voice to obscure the fact that it was you who made an issue of this, and you're being vague with details. What really happened is that instead of a "conversation," you tried to pick a fight with me. The dispute about MuniDefs wasn't "brought into debate"; you brought it up yourself.

Don't hide behind weasel words. Be accountable for what you say.

Uhg. When the fuck did this get so fucking complicated?

Okay, here it goes. I am not much for playing on the defensive, but I'll try my hand.

Okay. P3. Whether or not you took it as me picking a fight with you, I don't really care. I was not picking a fight with you, I am just super fucking annoyed with false titles, and people parading them. I was trying to show you that the title of Municipal Defender was wrong, and you took it as a huge 10-Scale offense. I was trying to be nice.

Primal. Okay, lets start with the idea that I am editing or erasing my posts. 1. I editted one of my post, because I knew that someone was going to be angry about it. And see what happened? I wasn't quick enough(for once) and someone got angry about it. And me calling you an ass? See, I said that because you called me stupid (lets get something straight. I still think that you are an ass). Wow, you found something on the OpNet that I did not find. You used a search engine as opposed to a site called 'Dictionary.com'. Good for you. I used the logical source, but.. hey. To each his own? Sure, to each his own. I was not, seriously, here to pick fights with you ass holes. I was legitimately fucking curious as to what the fuck I should be calling my charitable profession. And trying to help me? Wow, that is a ridiculous fucking claim.

You want to find me? Do a fucking OpNet search. I'm in Seattle, and I can be anywhere else in the country in a few seconds. Otherwise you can all just.. like.. eat shit or something. I don't really care.

[[[OOC: No, I was not refering to the pack. I was more refering to how when I insulted you someone else immediately peaked up to insult me. Just because it was someone from the pack was entirely coincidental.]]]

After that charming little litany of curses, I see no reason to even attempt a witty retort; you have just done yourself a much greater insult than anyone else could have hoped to achieve in response to your flagrant attempts at provocation. I find it highly unlikely that you will be taken seriously here henceforth, or (should you continue in this vein) that you will even survive the month without the timely intervention of the Fates themselves.

It is a pity, really, but those who cannot control their temper soon find they've lost much more than their "cool."

To those who might have taken exception to this young man's benighted belligerence, I say only...

Happy hunting.

Originally Posted By: White Widow
He's not worth my time. If I killed every stuck-up fool with a node, I'd never have time for my other hobbies.

You have other hobbies? Could there be more to you than meets the eye? I'd be willing to play in that web to find out!

Archived