Aberrant: 2011 - Cannon NPCs and EXP

Catalyst

Do Cannon NPCs get EXP, and if so what rate?

Or do we simply take the stat for them and throw them out the wing then use some power rating system. IE Pax is always stronger, but Thorn is always about equal in brute force..And what have you.

Canon NPCs are always used exactly as they are printed in the book. Unless the Directors state otherwise there is no reason to increase or decrease their power.

If the NPC does not have stats then you should confer with a Moderator or a Director before assuming any of their ability ratings.

Mostly because they aren't the focus of the story, you are. Do you you think the Diretors want to go down the list of the entire Aberrant cast, stat them out, then go through every month and make sure everyone was updated?

I sure wouldn't. I've ran a TT game with 41 dynamic NPCs and lemt me tell you keeping up with all their updates was a complete pain in the ass.

They are no stat simply because they are there for story line reasons. They don't need stats, just an eyeballed dice pool based on their power levels.

Originally Posted By: Dave OOC
Mostly because they aren't the focus of the story, you are. Do you you think the Diretors want to go down the list of the entire Aberrant cast, stat them out, then go through every month and make sure everyone was updated?

I sure wouldn't. I've ran a TT game with 41 dynamic NPCs and lemt me tell you keeping up with all their updates was a complete pain in the ass.

They are no stat simply because they are there for story line reasons. They don't need stats, just an eyeballed dice pool based on their power levels.

Okay, you do not see the long term problem with the stance of just leave them alone?

I for one will tell you that in 2013 game time unless the stats scale up, that Catatlyst will more than likely have the fire power to take on all of T2M minus Pax...

I don't think they need to have full write ups, but some of them do and frankly suck. I would be happy if they had simple power rating and scales that keep up with players.

IE Splash is always going to be a threat, because as she is written now within say two years at most any physical nova who here at the start will one shot her.

I'd say advance them, but just use some common sense. Yes, I know - I said the bad words. But lemme explain.

We know roughly who is better than whom with what among the NPCs. So we know that Mal is stronger than Pax, who is the strongest Utopian, etc, etc. Just keep the NPCs at roughly the same levels over the years. Use your best judgement, and remember that the NPCs aren't your toys - they belong to all of us.

How about accepting that many of the NPCs, probably most of them, are out of reach? With the static exp increase that we get if the NPCs get the same they are always going to be badder ass. Just accept that, and if for some strange reason you absolutely MUST have Skew showup keep it in mind.

Originally Posted By: Catalyst
I for one will tell you that in 2013 game time unless the stats scale up, that Catatlyst will more than likely have the fire power to take on all of T2M minus Pax...

And it's thinking like this that reinforces my logic that you do not need a write up for them. The only reason statistics are needed is for gauging 'power levels' and determining if a PC can beat up so and so.

Quote:
Okay, you do not see the long term problem with the stance of just leave them alone?

No I do not, because I'm not 'leaving them alone'. In 2013 if Gabriel has dinner at Red Lobster is with Leviathan I'll be smart enough to assume that Leviathan has XX years worth of power under his belt and role play him accordingly. And I'll do it all without reviewing statistics once.

If Leviathan attacks, Gabriel will defeat him with his 'Shield of Consent' Power and that will be that.

I'll make this offer to anyone interested. With the Directors permission and supervision (meaning they'll get to review and approve) I'll create the statistics for any NPC they like, including a Canon one (again, with the Director’s approval, and they give me the criteria for canon NPCs).

These NPCs can be used in fictions, as mentors, as rivals, or whatever the player likes. I'll submit any request to the Directors (so they may see it and know I didn't just make it to spite the player who requested it.)

This way a third party can make the NPC and it's appropriate for the role they are meant to have, instead of the player having control and designing them with the defense or success of their character in mind.

It's an option open to any one. Providing the Directors approve, I'll create them for anyone who asks.

Dave, read the whole post, then do not take part out of context

and then re-read the 2009 charter.

My point is that I would prefer to not have hard stats on NPCs, but you would have to read my hole post to get that I did say that before. The Hard stated NPCs either start off way to power or wind up useless, unless you scale them up with the players.

In case you are wondering what hard stats, that is when you are given a real character shit with dots and numbers, and rating values of skills.

I did read the whole post. Just because I don't quote it all and waste space doesn't mean I didn't read it, and read the charter, what was I looking for?

You talking about NPCs and hard stats, I offered to make NPCs for people. This seems like the thread to do it.

Quote:
My point is that I would prefer to not have hard stats on NPCs, but you would have to read my hole post to get that I did say that before. The Hard stated NPCs either start off way to power or wind up useless, unless you scale them up with the players.

You don't need their stats unless you were planning on fighting them. Everything else can be scaled with Role Play.

They're fine as they are.

Archived