Aberrant RPG - Minimum age to erupt?

Is it possible for pre-teens to erupt? I can't find anything definitive in the Aberrant book, aside from this on p. 118: "Most novas are relatively young, between 16 and 36 years of age at eruption, though there are exceptions."

Like most of White Wolf's rules, it's quite vague, and mostly useless.

I'm interested to know if there's any other limitations on age located anywhere in canon that I'm unaware of. I ask because I have the germ of an idea for an eight year-old nova character, but I want to be sure this does not break the rules.

For first gens, I remain in the 16 to 36 range. For second gens, I go to the bleeding edge of puberty - which I believe is 11. Generations after that... well, they're unlikely to come of age on the boards.

Just my opinion, and the way I've done it.

In that case, I'm going to have to say "it depends."

As implied by the range given above, I would think that most (if not all) first generation novas erupt at the age of puberty since the MR node would not have fully developed until that point. If a latent did erupt at a young age, I think it might have strange effects, much like a young child receiving an infusion of puberty-level hormones. IIRC, that is not a good thing.

As for second and later generation novas, the Project Utopia and the Teragen books, respectively, touch on this topic in their own way. The PU book's section on Bahrain talks about second generation novas who do not have a node per s. They do have the nerve clusters found in a node but the clusters are dispersed throughout the entire brain and the text indicated that the second generation novas (all of them very young children) that weren't killed and dissected had full use of their powers. The Teragen book is less specific than this and only talks about second generation novas living with Bounty in her garden, IIRC. Hence, I don't believe that second generation novas erupt at all since they've always been a nova and never a latent. Or, at least, some of them don't.

My personal feeling is (as usual) that what should be allowed should be based on what would be both fun for the player and non-disruptive to the boards. I hardly see why an eight-year old nova would be disruptive for that reason alone. And as for fun, I suspect that the concept would offer both some serious role-playing challenges and some serious opportunity for exploration of themes.

The age range for first-gen novas (16-36) strongly implies that it's a post-puberty deal, so the earliest eruption is probably limited to 12-13. Certainly Teen Tomorrow is big on picking up the under-legal-aged novas for publicity and brainwashing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Flicker:
So then, there's nothing in canon to prohibit an eight-year-old from erupting?
Nope. Not at all.

I think the absolute lowest minimum age would be the point in fetal development where there was a fully developed brain.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hugin:
I think the absolute lowest minimum age would be the point in fetal development where there was a fully developed brain.
Personally, I'd like to set it a little higher, at least six years old. Children's brains continue to develop after their birth; while a node would accelerate this process, I still think that a minimum age is a Good Idea . I'd personally like to see 12, since that's the average for puberty worldwide. I know that I don't get to set things the way that I want them here, however, so I agree to set it at 6. That would allow Flicker her character, and not threaten a major retcon for any current characters on the board.

I know that some feel this is unnecessary and restrictive. I feel that this is still a game, albeit a very different game then it's tabletop counterpart. Certain concessions have to be made to that fact, and I am willing to compromise what I think is "correct" so as not ruin anyone else's fun. That said, a game has rules, and those rules exist for a reason: fair and equitable play for all members of N!Prime.

Hence, I suggest that we set the minimum age for eruption at 6 years old.

Flicker is just trying to get the facts first. In this case puberty is probably a pretty good benchmark for when eruption can happen. Read this and go forth to do great things... wink

Boys and girls now experience puberty at younger ages than previous generations. In general, girls enter puberty between ages 8 and 13 and reach menarche (first menstruation) several years later, while boys enter puberty between ages 9 and 14 (436, 529). The reasons for earlier menarche in girls are not well understood. Most of the change is attributed to better health and nutrition (160, 185, 529). In North America age at menarche decreased by three to four months each decade after 1850; in 1988 the median age at menarche was 12.5 years among US girls (160, 529). In some developing countries age at menarche appears to be decreasing even faster. For example, in Kenya average age at menarche fell from 14.4 in the late 1970s to 12.9 in the 1980s (185).

Google. You just got to love it.

Hey! How many of the wee ones do we have running around here now anyway? I want to see some ID right now or no one's getting another pint. eek

Quote:
Originally posted by Hugin:
Quote:
Originally posted by Flicker:
So then, there's nothing in canon to prohibit an eight-year-old from erupting?
Nope. Not at all.

Hugin is correct AFAICT. The real issue is what do we do with this?

If the nova doesn't know how to read/write then they are unlikely to post here. It might be interesting (although odd) for a one year old nova with Mega-Int to start posting. I think there are already a few PCs around who claim to have erupted extremely young, and long enough ago that they are no longer under age.

It leads to this...Does the abiltiy to do some mean you should do it? Does because you mean you have to? Would a chiuld fit in here? WOuld you play a child who si smart enough to fit in here? WHy do you want ot to play a child? Alll these are valid things to ask.. SHould you make a character who is a gimick and does nothing but fill that one tiny role?

• 1 month later...

The youngest nova PC I've had erupted at birth.

When the game started he was roughly a year old, but he had a way to side step that so it didn't matter. And yes, this included Mega-Int and nova points spent on skills and willpower to be functional.

However, I have also had a nova PC aged 13 or so who hadn't erupted yet so he didn't have powers to compensate.

Archived