[OpNet] Who here still uses money?

Muse

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: Muse
And yet you what, claim to not need to know more of me because of what another said?

It's fairly bloody obvious you're a blithering idiot, girl. You get yourself into a shit marriage with a shittier NDA and pre-nup, you don't seem to have a bloody clue when you speak, and then you wonder why folks think you're stupid.

And I thought the crowd in my father's European jet-setting noble socialite set were twits.

I hope you get over this "I'll be as ugly on the inside as I am on the oustide" bullshit quickly. You sound like some faggot fifteen year-old who just found out his favorite band canceled or something.

Man up, you fucking girl. You're still alive, still working, and still fucking my ex. Life could be worse; you could be the chump on the receiving end when a guy like you shows up.

Originally Posted By: Trooper
Money buys my time and my attention.

My time and attention lay waste to lives, destroys villages, alters economies and creates nightmares in generations of orphans.

Fuck economic theory. Reality is a bitch.

No, you are a bitch. I mean come on and stop fucking your horse.

Originally Posted By: Machina
I hope you get over this "I'll be as ugly on the inside as I am on the oustide" bullshit quickly. You sound like some faggot fifteen year-old who just found out his favorite band canceled or something.

Man up, you fucking girl. You're still alive, still working, and still fucking my ex. Life could be worse; you could be the chump on the receiving end when a guy like you shows up.

Blow me. I'm also in pretty much constant fucking pain. Excuse the hell out of me for being a tad grumpy.

Just expressing my fucking sympathies the only way I know how, brother. Hope things get better before they worse. But hey, fuck it; I ain't wrong. As long as you're still breathing, it ain't all bad. You got a pretty raw deal, but it's a hazard of the fucking job. That's why tough guys like you make the big bucks.

Money is a resource. More than that, it is a shared fantasy. We all agree that our electronic transfers representing green bills are equivalent in value to goods and services.

It has always amused me how people will kill and die so willingly for something so ephemeral. But then people kill and die for other ideals, why not that one?

Personally, I have little need for money. I live modestly. In information, favours owed and certain goods, however, I am very 'rich' indeed.

Ephemeral? Tell that to some motherfucker trying support his family working at mtoherfuckin' Burger King and see if he doesn't kneecap you with a fucking pipe. I dare you. Oh no, wait, sorry, my mistake, I forgot that jackass, self-centered tin gods like you don't have to be accountable to anybody. Must be nice to have that evolutionary blank check to do whatever the fuck strikes your myopic, infantile fancy and label it "enlightenment".

I hope you die. In a fire.

I don't belittle the men and women who work to support themselves and their families. I belittle an economic system that is designed around keeping those men and women at the bottom of the heap: desperate, scared, and worried about where the next meal is coming from, just so some fat human whose daddy left him his money can spend 20 weeks a year in the Bahamas. The whole concept of money was developed by those who had wealth in the first place.

And I never considered myself 'enlightened', merely a realist. Money IS a shared daydream. When people stop believing in it, you get the Great Depression. I use money, I perform services to obtain it, and I use it to obtain the services of others. As I said, I am realistic, whatever my personal opinion is.

The truth is that you, Machina, stalk these boards, a veritable prowling troll-tiger, just waiting to crawl up someone's arse in order to point out just how 'real' and 'grounded' you are. Your behaviour is little different from the loudmouth baseline drunk spoiling for a fight simply to reaffirm his own self-worth.

Your modus operandi is painful to see. You take whatever parts of someone's post you think most easily attacked, rip them out of context, and then try to fashion some sort of valid argument against half of an opinion, liberally sprinkled with vulgarity so no-one will actually realise you're simply being a brainless hooting monkey.

I'm just glad this forum isn't a Classical Greek one, because people you direct your infantile barbs at would doubtless be ducking thrown feces.

I use money. I make it. I work hard. Nobody tells me what I'm worth except me. Maybe I could probably give it all up but why? I like my eufiber sweaters. I like to take trips to new and different places. I like traveling. I like what I do.

People pay me. People give me money and its usually good for them too. People take my money because I want something they sell. Living like a nun is okay for some people but I want to live first.

You use that word, 'realistic'. I don't think you know what it means. I think your view of money was pretty fucking unrealistic, in fact, which is why I called you out on it. Your arrogant attitude of money being a "resource" and "a shared fantasy" doesn't mean a thing to anybody who actually needs it. For some people, money is the difference between life and death, literally, and if it ain't for you, that isn't a fucking license to be flippant about how hard some folks got it.

Anyway, I ain't going to fight you on that other shit. You don't like me, fine. I don't like you, either. The fact that you ally yourself with that no-account substanceless pretty boy Procyon is enough for me to write you off, and if I gave a shit what you thought, I might be inclined to respond. As it is, you're just looking for more nails to crucify me with, so you can stuff it. You ain't worth the time.

Originally Posted By: Y.T.
Originally Posted By: Trooper
Money buys my time and my attention.

My time and attention lay waste to lives, destroys villages, alters economies and creates nightmares in generations of orphans.

Fuck economic theory. Reality is a bitch.

No, you are a bitch. I mean come on and stop fucking your horse.

Wow, no wonder you have a rep as an easily riled amatuer.

Originally Posted By: Imagineer
I use money. I make it. I work hard. Nobody tells me what I'm worth except me. Maybe I could probably give it all up but why? I like my eufiber sweaters. I like to take trips to new and different places. I like traveling. I like what I do.

People pay me. People give me money and its usually good for them too. People take my money because I want something they sell. Living like a nun is okay for some people but I want to live first.

I agree so much. I do what I can for money, because living without it is too hard. I cannot imagine living without it. Though, I must say, I do not work hard for it. I am lucky to be a nova to make the money that I do for the little work I do.

I'm a nova. I deserve more money than baselines.

Originally Posted By: Sandcaster
Quote:
I'm a nova. I deserve more money than baselines.
You remind me of a certain pain in my neck; just substitue "an Arian" for "a nova" and "blacks" for "baselines", and you would be doing a good job of imitating Rheinlander.

I am sorry, but I am afraid I do not get the reference.

"I'm a Arian. I deserve more money than blacks."

Im not Arian. I don't think that Arians can control sand like we do.

There's an awfully big difference there.

Control sand like "we" do? OK, so you're another sand manipulator; welcome to the grit-filled club. What do you do with it to earn the big bucks? Note that word "earn", as opposed to "deserve".

The analogy I gave is crystal-clear. Your words state that just because you have a node, you deserve more money than someone who doesn't have one. That is patently false. You deserve only what you earn - no more, no less.

Soem could argue that 'earning' is the result of higher station. I earn the higher pay than a base line because frankly I am better than baseline.

Before someone gets on my shit, lemme clarify. I'm faster, smarter, stronger, and better in everyway than a baseline. Period. It's not something that can be contested. I will be treated, and paid better than a baseline or my employer will give my dangerous assignments to the frail baselines who cannot handle the things we do, and I'll sit back with my coffee and donut and giggle as thy are torn to shreds by nova opposition.

If they are not prepared to give the hazerdous assignments to people whose bodies can not handle it, then they better be prepared to pay me what I feel it's worth, and I feel it's worth far better than what a baseline should make.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm a better person than a baseline... just that even though I'm a total asshole, I'm a well paid one.

Oh, where ya been Sandy? Still got that whole naughty librarian look goin on for ya?

Considering that (1) I can't pay you, (2) Boise can't afford you, and (3) we can't exactly give you any sort of official blessing here without such, I'll have to pass on your offer, Revenant. That said, if you want to come visit (with your various hand-cannons safely and legally tucked away) at some point, feel free. At any rate, Stormwarden says hi.

And you're right: I didn't. wink

A visit huh?

Heh, maybe I'll look you and Pokeherhottass up sometime. Velvet is still raggin me bout' 'getting to meet new people'.

But... the guns? C'mon Gritty, you know those are like my babies. If I leave them attended and leave the state what sort of a message am I sending to parents out there?

Sokay, I'll pop in and check fer myself sometime. Ironically, "Hot For Teacher" is still my ringtone for when you call me, which you never do. Hate to have spent the $1.75 downloading it for no reason. I'll play it while you show me round' yer fair city.

Sean and Cade say 'hi' as well, I have to go, kicking them out of my office is far more fun than most people realize.

Do I still use money? Well, let's break it down.

I run a nightclub in Chicago. Taxes, stocking, bills, insurance, and wages have to be paid out.

I have an apartment. That requires that I pay for rent, OpNet access, furniture, electricity, running water, and all the other luxuries and amenities we enjoy here in the states.

I have an attack cat... He doesn't need much, but he needs it all the time.

My mom lives upstate, and I do for her what I can. It's hard to make rent when you're older and don't have much in the way of "marketable skills."

I donate my time to a few of the charitable groups in the metro area, and give them what monetary help I can. Throwing money at a problem doesn't make it go away, but I respect what these people are trying to do and if I can help them keep doing it... so much the better.

I love money. Maybe not all novas need it, but the rest of the world does, and those who need it the most have the least of it. Been there, done that. I don't run a big corporation and I can't pay off the national debt with my income, but I've been a "have not" and I'm only too happy to use my time as a "have" to nudge others along.

I run many of things without the use of money. I have a nice art gallery, I preform shows, and I run an most enjoyable LLC based around the flow of the human mind.

I do not use money to do any of those, or to enjoy my rather unusual tastes. Money is a crutch to the idea that you need a carrot or a stick.

Well, maybe you don't use money for those things, but I'm sure that money could improve them.

Also, while maybe that kind business might not need money because you provide the art, and the place where you exhibit it is for free, wouldn't money for publicity make it better?

Velvet also comments on her bar, Babylon, It's a pretty awesome bar, was there with Cade on January, had a blast. Something like that you can't simply get by bartering, you need hard cold cash.

The bottom line, at least to me, is that while not everything needs money on this life, a large majority of it does.

and if I may, as an addendum, a Nova can be considered a person with a set of specialized skills, they have a right to win more than other people simply because their specialty is hard to find or very useful to someone. Same reason college graduates seek PhD's and specialization in fields, it should always pay more.

Originally Posted By: J. 'Polymath' Rivera
and if I may, as an addendum, a Nova can be considered a person with a set of specialized skills, they have a right to win more than other people simply because their specialty is hard to find or very useful to someone. Same reason college graduates seek PhD's and specialization in fields, it should always pay more.

Also we are better than them! Do not forget better than them!

Archived