Aberrant: 2011 - Can some body help me?,

Sascha

Good afternoon, My name is Sascha and I am twelve years from Chechan but now departure to outside, I am needing greatly to leaving Chechan desperately for health and safety, I am seeing that novas here come to talk and no others are listening so i am asking you for help and aid, Am asking please for help swiftly for Sascha and Ivan deliver from death,

Please, help!, Am much fraid for life and health!,

I can try. I never teleported that far, but the guys at the Rashoud Facility here told me I can go as far as I can put my mind to. I guess I'd need a landmark that's in the travel guides so I can figure out where to 'port to. I can take you back with me one at a time. Where do you want to go to after you get away from Chechen?

SuperCav:

Spare me your phony concern. If you were really worried, you'd be doing something about it, either in secret or publicly. Since you're fanning your ego here on the OpNet with your determined effort to appear to be more concerned than others (and therefore somehow "better") I can assume that you're not doing a damned thing.

You wear a super-suit. Are you ready to be a super-heroine? Or are you just another Eufiber-clad masturbatory performance artist?

Given the situation on the ground in Chechnya, it'd be very difficult to assist Sascha without becoming entangled in a rather messy situation with serious and lasting consequences. Given the global nature of the OpNet, I'm sure that someone is looking into this matter in a discreet way, provided that the "diffusion of responsibility" which accompanies a cry for help in a crowded place has not taken its usual toll on the decency of others.

In any case, if you planned to illegally enter a country, one that was a war zone, would you be broadcasting your intent to the planet? I hope, for your sake, not. Cemetaries are full of amateur heroes. We'll know if anyone is doing anything about this soon enough, by the results.

My hands are tied unless Project Utopia is involved with this, but once I'm in Sasha's presence, I think I can help him.

Some of us actually obey the rules. It is not a lack of desire to help, but it is an understanding of diplomatic protocol and international law.

Let me query you this, Felix.

I would help. The issue is I know not from eve regarding my talents at all. It would be like asking a cricket player to play rugby for the very first time on a proffessional level. He would get eaten up.

God, I would so love to help him, damn the rules. But I would only be putting up a vain effort in this matter.

Bellator,

I have no problems with extracting novas in danger. What we need to do is arrange this so it does not land both of you in even bigger trouble.

Would you be willing to come to Addis Ababa and place him into Utopia's care for the moment? I can keep him calm, and we have the best paraphysicians in the world.

And if anyone's misused or mistreated the boy, I think we can put at least one head on a platter.

Hmm...

I spoke to my superiors.

If you can get him into a calmer part of Europe, I can meet you there in a few hours.

I'll have a paraphysician on standby, and I'll be backed by another trainee and a Project Utopian diplomat.

It's the best I can do.

Does anyone need money for this venture? I can make a personal loan, no interest and you can pay it back in lots of different ways.

Also... anyone whose not going on this trip and wants someone to worry with, I'll open my house to them. We can sit down and crack open some wine and wait for word from the rescuers. Anyone up for it?

I think I have some cash to spare. Although I can't provide a comfortable home. Should be pretty easily spared. I have no need for it at the moment, since my bills are covered for a while.

Send the pertinant info via a secure transaction line and I'll see what I can contribute to the cause, Caramel.

I might not be therein person, but will I damn well be there in other ways.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate this feeling of impotence and inability. I know this kind of thing happens every day all over the world, but being confronted with it like this... It's heart-breaking. Even if I left now, it would take me a long, long time to reach a place like Chechnya, and what then? Dammit.

I'm going to get some of my friends with the Red Cross to look in to this. I'm sure some of them are near that area, or somebody who can look around is. I hope.

I know he might be dead, but...I can't do nothing, you know? frown

I've read the entirety of this thread carefully, and have formed an unpleasant conclusion. I am now certain that if I were ever in need of an extraordinary rescue from some horrible fate, I'd be wasting my precious time to ask any of you lot for it.

Manacled by bureaucracy, manacled by idiocy, manacled by immobility, manacled by unimaginativeness, and manacled by insanity-- you people are pathetic.

I do, however, make an exemption for LiberTeen, because she has two attributes which I prize highly.

To be fair, I don't know what you expected from us, King Felix. We're not superheroes - I don't know about the others, but had I tried to help the boy and his friend, there would be three people who needed to be rescued. I'm just a normal nova, not James Bond.

If that means I'm pathetic in your book, then so be it. You're allowed to think whatever you want.

But has anyone from here heard any more about Sascha and Ivan?

All things considered I don't bevieve I could have helped the boy either. With a memory that only goes back days reliably and a lack of full contol of both my new body and my powers, I believe I would be a liability rather than an asset to any rescue mission.

A lack of action does not mean we are all pathetic Mr. King. Some of us realize the limits of our current condition and choose not to be a hiderance to any rescue attempts.

Judge that how you will.

Originally Posted By: Thierry Maroudas
Some of us realize the limits of our current condition and choose not to be a hiderance to any rescue attempts.

Quoted in agreement.

Felix, I do not know why you would want inexperienced, untrained wannabe mercenaries trying to save a kid that is in a warzone.

I'm sorry, but if doing things the right way is a sign of cowardice, I don't wanna be brave.

Originally Posted By: King Felix
I've read the entirety of this thread carefully, and have formed an unpleasant conclusion. I am now certain that if I were ever in need of an extraordinary rescue from some horrible fate, I'd be wasting my precious time to ask any of you lot for it.

Manacled by bureaucracy, manacled by idiocy, manacled by immobility, manacled by unimaginativeness, and manacled by insanity-- you people are pathetic.
Hey! No one calls me immobile.

And every solider doesn't respond to every war.

Originally Posted By: King Felix
Competence. You have in you the essential spark. Will you fan it into a flame, or will you just cup your hands around its glow and take small comfort?

Felix, I have been a nova for less than two months. I erupted with no powers beyond some social tricks. You want me to show competence, and I believe that I did, by showing wisdom. I am not competent to go on a rescue mission, because I do not have the skills to do so safely. Are you saying I should have tried anyway?

Mr. Alvarez, a representative from the Red Cross currently stationed in T'bilisi, Georgia was good enough to take a drive north to Grozny yesterday at my insistence. This is what he had to say:

Quote:
I drove up and down the main highway and I asked about the boy. I found this very dangerous. Troops in the cities are looking for a boy dressed in military uniform. Made sure not to let them know I was looking also. If he is still alive, I would guess he has not been found. He is not at any hospital but that does not mean much. I am afraid I cannot go again. I am sorry. I hope also that the boy is all right. Will keep ears and eyes open in T'bilisi.

I'm not sure if that's good news or not. At the very least, it seems he hasn't been apprehended by whoever it is that's chasing him, and that's a relief. Hopefully he's made it clear of that terrible place.

If anybody has any more ideas, I'd be glad to hear them. I'm not sure what can be done.

Archived