[OpNet] Hi everyone! Stop being stupid and read this. :)

Mithril

Peoples!

Hi all, it's Meghan. Stop arguing about religion and politics and stuff for a minute and listen up, because the cute girl is talking now. Thanks in advance. smile

After eight months of using "Girl Made of Titanium" as a temporary filler, I've finally found a more apt monniker to inscribe on my driver's license: Mithril.

Here's how Gandalf described mithril in The Fellowship of the Ring: "Mithril! All folk desired it. It could be beaten like copper, and polished like glass; and the Dwarves could make of it a metal, light and yet harder than tempered steel. Its beauty was like to that of common silver, but the beauty of mithril did not tarnish or grow dim."

That is so me.

Mad props to Regina Newcastle, without whom it would never have occured to me to make this change. Love ya, babe.

You may resume being rude and hateful to each other now. . .

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Machina
Tolkien was a hack. You're a hack for getting your inspiration from him and an idiot for liking him.

Congratulations on the new name. I'm sure it'll go over big at the next nerd convention.
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien was an accomplished author of several of the most successful books of the past century, effectively established an entire genre of literature in an accessible fashion, coined a new meaning for the term "legendarium" that is now a fundamental element of fantasy/sci-fi literature, and was an accomplished linguist who created not only internally-consistent languages but entire language groups from a smattering of extrapolation and a great deal of whole cloth. He did this without benefit of node or quantum, and I have seen far worse efforts by those that do enjoy those benefits and the superior cognative capabilities that they can bring.

Whatever else J.R.R. Tolkien may be, he was not a hack.

-----------------

Mithril:

Congratulations on your new name. I agree in full with your assessment of its applicability to your form; it suits you well.

Describing Tolkien, whose stories I remember somewhat fondly from my youth, as a hack is probably a very relative thing. You'd have to ask Machina who considers to not be a hack in order to put it into perspective.

I'm coming to find "relativity" is a good word to sum up half of the nova experience. I mean, its probably not all that different than if you caught me on a bad day when the heat of the juice is streaming off me and I'm channeling my archtype for all I'm worth. Push me in that moment and I'd go off on a tear wherein the nicest thing I'd call you is a consumer whore whose only grace is being thoughtlessly ignorant of the biosphere instead of deliberately stupid and willfully destructive. My conversation with Revenant not all that long ago had a hint of that and it wasn't really his fault. He was just being himself, had no idea what the conversation was about and I'm digressing. The reality is humanity is much more green in their outlook than we were twenty years ago. Relativity in action.

In a way, yes. I've been pretty busy in your absence-- training with Stellar at her place, meeting up with people, stuff like that.

I mean, it's not like I'm sitting around twiddling my thumbs waiting for you to return. Still, welcome back! From. . . wherever it is you go!

Names.Oh names are fun. I have thinking of telling the world a new name to call me. I just do not know. I like the idea of all you thinking I got my name from a book. It is really funny!

Now as to this Topic of one the most boring writers of all time i have this to say. Who cares? Who cares if he was hack or not? Who cares if he was good or not?It doesn't matter what he really did. in the end the chances are that Mithril is more effected by so many people removed from the him it doesn't matter who was. She is only acting on the idea of him. Maybe not even that. (Oh and debating with Machina is pointless.He has already made up his mind)

I think it is in your right to call yourself whatever you want. I do not like the name, and find it to be silly. I then again do not much like you. I do how ever think that if you wish to be called mithril it is your right. I think it is simpler and thus better than your former name.You other name was too long. Now I wish you the best of luck.

Archived