Aberrant: Phoenix Rising - Table Talk: Phoenix Rising

jameson (ST)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cursory investigation to determine functionality would take perhaps an hour tops. To remove the warhead would require perhaps 3 hours of work before it was free and could be removed. Repairing the rocket could be done but you'd need to come up with a way to refuel it.

Touching base again. Sorry for the "on-and-off" situation I've been through the last weeks.

I'm back at work and that means I can access the site more regularly again. I needed the break, though.

Lets hope the next "issues" pass me by. I've had my fair share of trouble for this year already.

Now lets play again smile

• 2 weeks later...

Arr, still talking. I got distracted over the weekend, but I want to play the scene with Raider at least a little longer, to a natural stop point.

Unless Anna and Raider want to jump ahead, in which case that's fine with me too. smile

We weren't actually hiding it from you... just from James... but he's a telepath and you're not known to have a shield.

If you delete "She looks at Raider. "Can he do anything about that nuke without you?""

... then that deals with it right there.

Folks we've got a sticky situation here with PC vs PC mega social "combat". I'd like some help in determining just how we run this due to the fact that its probably the worst aspect of the Abby rules AND that I've never really played a social type in Abby and so have very little experience in this regard.

I'm looking for something simple and quick so as to avoid making the other PCs wade heavily through a lengthy period of cost/counter-post

First, I suggest we refer to the rules for the powers being used.

Courier uses Persuader. This power gives bonus successes for a requested change of opinion or to convince someone to take a course of action. Since the number of successes varies according to the nature of the request, I think it's reasonable to have Courier tell us what specifically he's requesting us to do or believe. His IC words are kind of vague...is he telling us to think the Moon Men are behind this, or telling us to agree to his plan to visit the moon again?

From there, he still needs to make the appropriate roll. Persuader just adds successes. It doesn't obviate the need for a roll. The power description further states that targets "normally has some kind of Willpower or other resisted roll" against requests that involve great personal danger or could get the target "in extreme trouble." That would be an ST decision of course.

The other power in use is Trickster. It is used when a nova tries to "trick, fool or deceive another character" and gives 3 auto successes on any roll to do these things.

So we'd need to know how specifically he's trying to 'trick' Courier, and then he'd need to make his roll, aided by the power. We'd then go from there to determine the results of that roll.

I don't see that we are sparring socially.

Doug is trying to persuade people to go with his plan... which is to establish guilt then commit mass murder.

Gregory is trying to do what? Trick Doug into thinking that Gregory agrees? That's fine, you can do that, but that's not an opposed action.

let me clarify, we are entering into stick territory here. While I could easily say "you are all adults, RP it like you ought to" that doesn't always work especially when M-Socials can in theory wear a person down and convince them to do anything given enough time and effort

If you guys would like to simply leave the rules by the wayside (more or less) and RP it out entirely that is fine by me. I just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page before moving forward.

Let me restate "the plan" here that I'm trying to get people to buy into.

Core Concepts:

1) Before we actually start killing people we find out if they're guilty.

2) But we proceed with the plans right now assuming that they are.

Plan Details:

3) Doug and perhaps others go to the moon again. This has the dual purpose of bringing them into the right time frame and letting us talk to them. For obvious reasons anyone who goes should have both Adaptability and a mind shield.

4) After a certain amount of time, Raider will port in with the nuke.

5) If they're innocent, then Doug will contact Raider and tell him to back off and he'll port back out.

6) If there is no contact, Raider pulls the trigger.

Okay, so if I then tell you that Ash still disagrees with Courier's proposed action, what then? Will you start complaining that I'm ignoring your stats and your mega-power and that I should be RP'ing differently?

The last place Ash wants to go is to the moon again.

Max and I talked about this in chat and I think we're on the same page here.

Things to point out:

1) Persuader isn't mind control.

2) Persuader doesn't let you change deeply held beliefs and the like... and throwing nukes around is probably going to affect those.

Quote:
3) Doug and perhaps others go to the moon again. This has the dual purpose of bringing them into the right time frame and letting us talk to them. For obvious reasons anyone who goes should have both Adaptability and a mind shield.
4) After a certain amount of time, Raider will port in with the nuke.

Problem with that is that they can take themselves right back out of the timeframe the second Doug is on site leaving Raider unable to get the nuke in.

Alternatively they may not let us visit at all. I wouldn't if I were them.

Unfortunately we have to assume that they're going to make some mistakes here. Underestimating us, assuming that no one would dare attack them, that sort of thing.

Further, it's *possible* that Raider could port in even with the time field up. Warp wouldn't work, but teleport in combo with DD5 might.

Archived