Aberrant: 2011 - Character Review?

Hugin

Hugin, as the first person to post their character, I'm going to pick on you (sorry).

It is very difficult to follow how you paid for things. If experience had been involved it could have been impossible.

Everyone, please post all the math involved. That means bonus points, experience points, as well as nova. It has been my experience that something along the lines of the following works pretty well. The first column is the accumulative total, the second is the cost, the last is what was purchased.

Bonus Points (15):

07 07 +1 Q (total 2)

11 04 +2 Willpower (total 5)

19 08 +8 Background Dots

15 -04 Flaw: Enemy

Nova Points (30):

01 01 +3 Attribute Dots

07 06 +2 Mega-Strength (Crush)

13 06 +2 Mega-Stamina (Resiliency)

16 03 +1 Mega-Dexsterity (Physcial Prodigy)

17 01 +6 Ability Dots

19 02 Bio-Mod (Spines)

28 09 +3 Armor

30 02 +1 Armor (total 4) Tainted (total 1)

(And in two weeks)

Experience: (total 4)

04 04 +4 Unspent Experience

Well, after some modifications to fix certain problems, here is my submission: http://www.geocities.com/commikillr/Aberrant/Longball.htm

Bonus Points (15):

14 14 +2 Q (total 3)

22 08 +4 Willpower (total 7)

15 -07 Flaws: Trademark(1), Dependence- Chewing Tobacco(2), Dependant- Drug Addicted Sister(4)

Nova Points (30):

03 03 +9 Attribute Dots

03 03 +1 Mega-Strength (Thrower)

09 03 +1 Mega-Stamina (Durability)

19 10 +4 Mega-Dexterity (Enhanced Movement)- Tainted (total 2)

20 01 +6 Ability Dots

23 03 Claws w/2 Extras (total 3) Tainted

24 01 Extra Health levels (2 Bruised)

26 02 Density Increase (total 1) (tainted)

29 03 Deflect/Redirect w/2 Extras (total 1) Tainted

30 01 +5 Background dots

Feel free to critique..I know you want to.

Guys, I'd say this is premature. Really, the mods should be doing any reviewing and numbers-crunching of characters that needs to occur, not the board in general. While I have posted my sheet to chat to get feed-back (which was very helpful, Hugin, thank you again), I'm not posting a breakdown. EDIT: I did provide a mini-breakdown on my sheet, but that will probably be all I do unless requested otherwise by the mods.

If the mods to develop a breakdown system, then I'd actually recommend something a little easier to read, Dr. Troll. Your system probably works fine for you, but I find it extremely difficult to follow. Perhaps this would be more clear:

points spent (cum total) purchase x to x

ex (I'll borrow your freebie example above):

7 (7) Quantum 1 to 2

2 (9) Willpower 3 to 4

2 (11) Willpower 4 to 5

1 (12) Background 0 to 1

1 (13) Background 1 to 2

1 (14) Background-2 0 to 1

(ect...)

-4 (15) Flaw Enemy

This is just a suggestion, of course; someone else might find this hard to read. But I think it's clearer than Dr. Troll's example, with no offense intended to the respected Dr. Troll. smile

Quote:
The White Rat:Feel free to critique..I know you want to.
Sure. I love to critique.

I see...
1) +9 Attribute Dots, not +6 (cost +1)
2) Tainted M-Dex costs 2, not 3 (cost -1)
3) Untainted Density Increase costs 3, not 2 (cost +1)

So you have 31 nova points spent so far.

Other than that, I'm impressed with the Claws+KD+AP, but I'm a little surprised you didn't take any skill in Firearms or Throwing to back that up.

Carver: Guys, I'd say this is premature.

It depends on what draft version you are working on and whether you want feedback. As we aren't mods it isn't like they can't change their minds.

Carver: Really, the mods should be doing any reviewing and numbers-crunching of characters that needs to occur, not the board in general.

I for one would like to encourage public sheets... although I have to admit I don't know how to post the kinds that the others have. Public sheets go a long way to reduce the work for a mod, and encourage feedback, both of which are probably good things.

Personally I've already gone through 3 characters (eventually rejecting two of them as unworkable) with multiple versions on each one. I'm a lot happier with...Bullet Time... but it remains to be seen whether he will make the cut and I'm not sure what to make of his flaws just yet. Somehow I managed to create a character without any Intelligence skills so one would think that "Uneducated" should also be taken, but some other flaws could be much cooler.

Carver: While I have posted my sheet to chat to get feed-back (which was very helpful, Hugin, thank you again), I'm not posting a breakdown. EDIT: I did provide a mini-breakdown on my sheet, but that will probably be all I do unless requested otherwise by the mods.

I don't see how you or they can get away from it. It's going to be very difficult to keep track of this sort of thing without the math. And simple math errors are very, very easy to make when you have three different kinds of points being converted into many mulitple attributes.

Carver: If the mods to develop a breakdown system, then I'd actually recommend something a little easier to read, Dr. Troll. Your system probably works fine for you, but I find it extremely difficult to follow. Perhaps this would be more clear:...

I could live with that. My system actually works better on paper with lines to seperate the columns. I'll admit it loses something with them.

Carver: This is just a suggestion... with no offense intended to the respected Dr. Troll. smile

None taken.

Are you sure you added them up right? I get only +6 attribute dots. Here is the math: Physical 4+3+3-7=3; Mental 3+1+2-5=1; Social 2+2+1-3=2 So 3+1+2=6 extra Attribute points

Throwing is a might skill. I suppose I could separate the two (notice I have throw in parenthesis). I can't find anything which say throwing is a Dex skill. Besides, he likes to hit the ball off his bat at his opponent which could be a cross matching ability and attribute with Dex+Mega-Dex+Artillery. It could also be argued that it is Dex+Mega-Dex+throw.

My intent was for him to utilize the baseballs as ranged weapons..I hope I got his skills correct. I suppose I could alter them if I am wrong before final posting on the 2008 board.

Uniform public sheets have a few potential drawbacks. For example, what if a character has a secret to their background that they wish to reveal over time? Certainly they will need to have a sheet available in the event of an arbitrated fiction, but requiring them to post a sheet for all to see could potentially ruin the progression of a character.

I don't suspect someone would consciously use OOC knowledge IC to screw someone over (even to go as far as picking out powers specifically tailored to combat a specific character), but I do understand the general desire to keep certain elements of a character a secret until it is appropriate to reveal said elements.

But there will need to be some sort of system of review to ensure that everyone is advancing their characters appropriately; that means sheets need to be kept by everyone on some level. And, from where I sit, this might be something best left for a moderation staff to develop and regulate. It will be up to them to maintain it and placing hard and fast rules in a charter will only make their job harder if unforeseen problems arise.

The way I calculate stats is your Primary starts at 3/4/3, secondary at 3/2/3, thirdary at 2/2/2.

You have a 4/5/4... a 3/2/4... and a 3/2/3

OK, my Bad (sorry). shocked That is +6 => 2 Nova.

Throwing is it's own skill (see APG under "Strength Abilities"). Might is picking things up, looking buff, and how Far you can throw things (not a big thing if you have Mega-Strength).

Dr. Troll - I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I'm not for public sheets. I very much support that practice, even on 2016 board, where it's considered less "important." What I'm saying (to be as clear as possible) that only the mods should see experience point breakdowns. The board can see the character sheet, no problem.

And note - I said that I myself had posted a sheet for feedback on chat, and I got some on my character. I can post it here, if everyone wishes, but I already know of a point of contention that I'll need to run by the mods.

Dr. Troll: Sing laid out some of my reasoning very clearly above; I'll leave it to him. Warning: The following is just my opinion. And then, to me personally, it comes down to it's not the other players' business how I spend the points; if the mods approve of it, that's all the players need to know. smile

Frankly, I'd rather not know that WR spent his points the way he did; I know he feels he's being efficient, but I don't like the way he did it. And I think both of us would have been happier not to know; it bothers me that he min-maxs like that, and have told him that clearly. Neither of us changed our mind, and I'm beginning to think that all that exchange did was frustrate/irritate us and the others in chat. frown So the hows and whys of the character's build should be left to the mods.

Quote:
Quoted by Dr. Troll:
I could live with that. My system actually works better on paper with lines to separate the columns. I'll admit it loses something with them.
I meant to reply to this specifically and forgot; I can certainly see how tracking that way on paper would certainly be easier. Even in something like Access or Excel, it would work well. Too bad we can't have tables in UBB code. :P

If you're talking about the spiffy character sheets that Chosen and others are using, I've no idea.

If you're talking about the spiffy character sheets that I am using, I worked it up in Word and dump the edited sheet into a .PDF file.

And you know, I completely forgot to add qualities to Crimson Fox; I'll have to fix that tonight.

Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
2) I've having problems coming up with good Qualities for Dex, Int, Wits, and Manip for the Temporal Hypermovement speedster I'm building. Any suggestions?
Dexerity has a quality "Quick" which I've used for my 2016 speedster. Just as a note for later, if you plan to rise your Perception high enough to gain a quality, you can use "Quick Search."

I'll check the book for you when I get home tonight. smile

Considering we don't have the math, I decontructed your cost structures. Based on my assumptions, you're pretty close, but there are some issues.

1) You don't have the free Stamina Ability dots.

2) You're paid 2 nova points for extra abilities but you only have 9 more. You need three more ability dots.

3) You've paid too much for your Eufiber. Your eufiber is Vampiric (which should be listed as a background, not a flaw), so 5 dots would cost you 2 points, not 3. Note this doesn't give you a free dot since it only brings you into balance.

4) I assumed you used your bonus points for Quantum, and you don't have any flaws, so your merit should be +1 Eufiber Attuned, not +2.

5) Eufiber and Eufiber attuned adds to your soak (+6).

6) Asside from those issues it looks like you have spent 30 nova points.

On a side note, Backing "CA"? What is CA?

Also on a side note, since your big power is Matter Cham, you might want to get some Attune. The eufiber will mean you don't go naked but a wallet and such are sometimes useful.

Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
Considering we don't have the math, I decontructed your cost structures. Based on my assumptions, you're pretty close, but there are some issues.

1) You don't have the free Stamina Ability dots.
2) You're paid 2 nova points for extra abilities but you only have 9 more. You need three more ability dots.
3) You've paid too much for your Eufiber. Your eufiber is Vampiric (which should be listed as a background, not a flaw), so 5 dots would cost you 2 points, not 3. Note this doesn't give you a free dot since it only brings you into balance.
4) I assumed you used your bonus points for Quantum, and you don't have any flaws, so your merit should be +1 Eufiber Attuned, not +2.
5) Eufiber and Eufiber attuned adds to your soak (+6).
6) Asside from those issues it looks like you have spent 30 nova points.

On a side note, Backing "CA"? What is CA?

Also on a side note, since your big power is Matter Cham, you might want to get some Attune. The eufiber will mean you don't go naked but a wallet and such are sometimes useful.
you got the point spending on quantum. I thought that vampir eufifber was a flaw, and i got that a efuiber attument. Sorta of like it really likes her.It realy does.

Ca should be California. She is a first responder, namel a fire jumper. She can turn ino iner gasses that u fires out after all, or lif heavy obbject and so forth.

The skills I will add a few more.I wasn't sure if my math was right on this one.

I spend one point on back ground and two on skills.

The lack of atutment is a built in character flaw. She ill get it later as she learns what it really means to be a nova.

Looky here, character! I have a few non-standard qualities on this one, and I'm wondering if that's going to be a problem, and if it is, suggestions on canon qualities that most closely resemble the ones here. I'll post the point spendingness later.

http://www.nprime.net/forum/uploads/00000926/nihil.html

Plus he has 1 in Arts and 3 in Rapport, which I seemed to have missed when making the sheet digital.

Bonus Points:

7x2 - 2 Quantum

+1 Specialty, Academics: Philosophy

=15

Nova Points:

3x3=9 - 3 Density Control

+3x2=6/2=3 - 2 Density Control (Tainted)

+3 - 1 MApp

+3 - 1 MInt

+3 - 1 MPer

+3 - 1 MMan

+3x2=6/2=3 - 2 MMan (Tainted)

+1x3=3 - 3 Willpower

Archived