At wits end. (Warning: Not work safe.)

Mary Masters

Perhaps everone is seeing my beef with Aberrant in the Aberrant Discussion forum. But I thought I should address my specific grievances with N!Prime here.

1: Tail Chasing...

I have noticed for oh, about 6 months, that the board has been on a constant loop. The same discussions, the same stories, and, sadly enough, the same fictions. I have seen 3 "party" fictions get created here, and run quite well, but when I start one of my own that is different, it dies off. Are we that much in a rut?

2: The Canonistas.

I have had it up to here with them. It seems when anyone (and this isn't just about me here on this grief) takes a minor stray from storyline for a brief moment, the hounds of hell start running. What the fuck is this? A Game or a damned Religion?

3: The players.

I have seen some players (and I REFUSE to name names right now) are just here to be angst ridden thugs who love giving a hard time to those that actually prefer to follow the law of the land. Now, I'm talking about being in character here. There are characters here that prefer not to bump into the law and be upstanding individuals, yet they get slammed for being sellouts. Or worse. Are we that Anarchic? Is there any reason everyone has to be so down on everyone else?

4: The board/game relationship.

I'm talking specificially about the boards here and the game world. When RPing in one of the ongoaing games, that isn't much of an issue, the Storyteller is running that show. But on the OPnet boards, there are two distinct problems.

A: The lack of character growth, stemming from no experience gained, and a fear of being fingered as a power gamer.

B: The fear of running colliding into the Canon.

A few more things I have to get off my chest, is that I have to explain myself a bit...

I like playing games where there is a past, but your future is yet to be written, and the game world's Canon is flexible enough where you can walk around in it and not worry about stepping on any toes.

Next, I like playing Superhero games alot, but this one game I feel I had recieved a bait-and-switch. I had this thought gnawing in the back of my mind for a while, but I'm just now letting the world know about it, because I feel that it is the time to bring this up.

Lastly, I tend to play more optimistically than some people here, and it gets under my fucking skin when it seems that it's not the way I'm supposed to play. At least that is what I'm recieving.

I feel now that I am moving away from N! Prime, not because I'm leaving, but because N! Prime is leaving me behind. I feel like the toy that has lost it's luster and has been thrown away. Replaced by the new shiny toy.

At least now you know why I'm doing what I'm doing.

I'd give everyone a bit of time before you write off the Ancients... thread as a lost cause. It's only the first week back from the Xmas/New Year insanity, give everyone a chance to recover from the trauma of having to get back to work/college.

Personally I'm really enjoying the thread, it'd be a shame to stop now.

As to circular arguments. Well, it's always a danger on any message board or chat area. I guess people who've been on the site for a good few years are pretty sick of the same old points being made. Not sure how that could be remidied.

One of the reasons I affiliated Sphere to the Aberrants was that I felt they were under-represented on the site (and in the game). Maybe we should get some C-Z Megasyndicate enforcer characters on. Or how about some people from other "minority" teams like Nippontai or the Protectors. Any QNA Novas out there? Maybe a little bit more variety in opinions is the answer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas of Minneapolis:
Well, I probably won't be hanging around to see it. I've decided this game isn't for me anymore. I'm done.
I'll reply to your post above when I get a chance, but I wanted to lay down some rules for you. If you are dissatisfied with how things work here and want to try to get people interested in your opinions and ideas, then feel free to do so. And if you are completely disgruntled about visiting N! Prime, simply spend your time elsewhere. But under no circumstances am I going to allow you, or anyone else, to give us all the finger on their way out the door.

You are upset and ranting, which I don't think is necessarily helping out your arguement. From reading your posts over the last 24 hours it gives me the impression of 1 of 2 things. The 1st is that you are leaving and want us all to piss off for not playing things in a way your prefer. And the 2nd is that you want to change things to more of your liking, but you are stipulating that if we don't change you will leave. And neither of those interpretations gives me the inclination to work with you to resolve the problem(s).

Basically what I'm saying is that if you want to leave, I wish you the best in whatever endeavors you choose to pursue. But if you honestly want to improve things around here for yourself and others, then please change your approach.

Personally, I'm pretty insulted.

I've played three long term characters here. Three very different characters.

Prodigy is a dark and brooding pain in the ass, yes.

Vile Bill was fairly upbeat and not a Terat.

Lemmy is even more upbeat and even more not a Terat.

I know of three other players that have each played a HUGE number of different characters here. Each as different as night and day. Some dark, others not. Troll isn't dark. Foxy Roxy isn't dark. Codex isn't dark. They're vibrant and real characters.

For your points.

1. Yes, we are in a rut. There are a number of reasons for this and a number of ways of handling it. Saying 'screw you guys, I'm going home.' isn't one of them.

2. Canonistas? Well screw you too. That just pisses me off. I PM'ed you about nanotechnology. Guess that makes me a big nasty fun breaking fuck now doesn't it. How about looking it as an avenue for another story? Endeavor fighting for a little technofreedom or something.

3. The players. No way. You want to bitch about us you better name names. If you're talking about me I don't want to have any misunderstandings. These are characters. Some of them are pleasent, some of them are rude. Most of them seem to disagree about everything. That is what makes a game. If everyone gets along in character in all of your games, good for you. That's not how most games go.

And since I'm asking you to be up front about things it's only fair that I require the same of myself. This is the umpteenth time you've threatened to walk away. Me? I like having you around. You're fun and Endeavor is a blast to have around. I may bat at you in character, but that's in character. We disagree about canon, but that isn't uncommon. But really now, I don't like being manipulated. If you're going to walk away, walk away. Making big dramatic scenes and then coming back like nothing happened makes you look bad.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but this is how I feel.

Personally, I like the Endeavor character. I feel that she has grown and developed here. For one thing, Neil isn't an idiot. Would he have gotten aboard a private jet with just anyone? Not likely. Apep, Charr, and YT would have gotten a "thanks, but no thanks." Endeavor is considered friendly and trustworthy, because that is how her history here has shown her to be.

About once a month, Prodigy drops me a line about something being out of line, or just plain wrong. It happens, and its not personal (I hope).

Also, I like the Secret of the Ancients thread. I knew it would slow down during the Christmas/NewYears break. Its expected. What we need to do is contact the various players and get rolling again.

I did not feel is was right for Neil to post right away, but was waiting for someone to strike up a conversation with him, or for people to settle in. I confess to my passivity.

I have put some more into the Lemmy's Party fiction, but thats often how the creative fires work. Preston was doing things, events be damned. Neil was motivated by the desire to interact and help out.

BTW, I'm a canonist. I like the feeling that the Nova Age is destined to go down in fire, guilt, and exile. Between now and then, the game is ours.

-Some suggestions on nanites and other Techno-stuff:

Bounce your ideas Out of Character to the board before introducing something in the forum. I recall James and his quantum stones.

If something is considered beyond bleeding edge, look for a reason that you either says "screw the system",or for a way to tone it down to make it work. I am still feeling the heebie Jeebies over Momento's disruption device.

Remember, you are not alone. We all have problems here of one sort or another.

Endeavor,You think you have promblems with what your character can do,think of Signy.She is mega smart,and sees the future.

Theoretically she could "cure" taint.I say this,because in trinity they have a prosses,that removes taint.Seeing as her precog let's her see that far a head,she could basically find out,where and who made it,and copy their ideas.Now apply this to any form of tech predating that precog blocking thing and you have a nova that is one dangerous woman.

And people wonder why she never joined Utopia.

Hey look, guys, I'm at a very emotional time right now. I got alot on my mind. If worse comes to worse, perhaps I need some time away from the table. A few months or so. I would be happy to continue my story after I get my damn bearings back. I just need some time.

I know there are some people ringing my on my PM line pretty much saying Think about what you're doing. I am now. I've spent 3 years here. I've invested time and creative effort into My character and here at the boards in the form of my participation here. Perhaps I've sounded more direct than nromal, but I just felt that perhaps if I stated my problems perhaps someone could straighten me out or explain to me what I'm doing wrong to make my experience here less enjoyable.

It's just that what Chosen has said is true. I sort of gave everyone the finger on my way out. I don't really know why I did. I'm sorry if I came across to harshly in public here, but I just had to state a few things that were on my chest. I know some people don't like it, and I know some people aren't liking me for doing it. Perhaps I do need a Time Out. I'm just right now having no direction, and I feel the only way I can get it back is some time away from here. Not in story, but for real.

Again, I'm sorry for being more direct than I should have been, and even being disruptive. I just don't know how many ways I can say this untill I state my error properly.

Quote:
Originally posted by Preston:

About once a month, Prodigy drops me a line about something being out of line, or just plain wrong. It happens, and its not personal (I hope).
My big, fat, hairy heinie I jump on you once a month. :P

And of course it's not personal. It's just me chatting. I didn't take it personal when you told me I was doing a shit job roleplaying Prodigy as tainted. That was just you chatting.

And shattering my self image, sending me into a three month long pitch black despair spiral. But hey, that's me. wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Sphere:
Maybe we should get some C-Z Megasyndicate enforcer characters on. Or how about some people from other "minority" teams like Nippontai or the Protectors. Any QNA Novas out there? Maybe a little bit more variety in opinions is the answer.
As to your suggestions.

A C-Z Megasyndicate guy would probably a little careful about chatting in public when he's a superpowered legbreaker.

Nippontai have their activities pretty carefully regulated I'd figure. Not a lot of freedom there.

Protectors are kind of standoffish, ya know?

But your point is very well made I think. Some off the beaten path players would be great. I don't think it would be very acceptable for me to play a QNA character. Probably very offensive to many. But we don't have any Municipal Defenders or Corporate Employees of the more traditional sense (not counting Endeavor's seemingly responsibility free contract with Teknokitties company. That looks more like a regular freelance gig) There is a ton out there to play.

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas of Minneapolis:
Chosen, maybe I misread it, maybe I didn't. But after what you said to me in the other thread, I think it's better for me now to leave for the good of the boards and not push this further.
We both read the same document and interpreted it in our own ways. There is no right or wrong. With any game book I get I'll read through it and note the sections that appeal to me and those that don't, as well as things that will work for me with x modification. Because I run an Aeon based web site, I've always tried to find a way to interpret the information in a way that allows me to find merit in all the books, even though some of them aren't to my tastes.

Do what you feel is necessary for you to do, but don't leave because you feel I want you to. You are welcome here any time, as long as you are willing to play nice with others, or at least play on equal ground. I have no problem with people discussing their issues with the game, the site, or even each other, but you can't point a finger at someone and leave before the issue can be discussed. Just saying something sucks doesn't help anyone. But if you bring up a problem and try to work with others to find a solution, or at least an understanding of different viewpoints, then you can help everyone involved.

You obviously have a lot going on right now, and I hope everything works out ok for you. You just need to do what's right for your situation and the rest of it will work itself out.

I would be sad to see you go. Endeavour is very cool.

I enjoy freeplay and admit I took advantage of some of the freedom here to jack up Regan's abilities a little quicker than what would've happened in a real-time game. Does that make me a power-player? I don't think so, because it isn't as if I've made her a powerhouse. Yes, she does have some molecular alteration and temporal manipulation powers, but they only tend to work on books with any success.

I made Veil on starter points and look how well she's doing! She's definitely going the novox star route, which means I'd best be nice to Lemmie. smile

Thanks for the compliments about Codex, Prodigy. I always thought she was a bitter old wench, but you make her sound nice. smile

I'll post in the next few days, I've just been tied up with other fics and that. Hell, a fic I started has been languishing for a bit, but you gotta take holidays into account, I guess.

Chill out and take a break, okay? If this game is peeing you off irl, it's time to rest a bit.

One, it's the other way around, I let RL stuff cloud my judgement. I think I should curtail, not completely cut off, my involvement. At least short term. Look at my damn post count as Endeavor. It's Ridiculous. I'm near 3000. The best of us is around 2000. I've been hitting this too hard and too obsessively. Hell, remember what Chosen said to Ranger when he said that if someone is willing to rack up THAT MUCH in a short time, that the person should be Temp-banned? Of course, he was referring to doing so over the course of a week. It took me 3 years about to get mine. But still, I probably post too much.

I've re-tracted my closing of my story, I think I may have been to hasty and too thuggish in shutting it.

And Chosen, I do agree. It's just that, and alot of my friends know this, I'm notorious for sticking my foot in my mouth.

Quote:
Regan 'Codex' McLachlan:
I always thought she was a bitter old wench, but you make her sound nice. smile
HEY! Codex is nice! She's one of my favorite characters in the current population. And several others follow close behind, despite the fact that - via Charr - some of them are going to feel like there's a bullseye painted on their back.

That's IC stuff. Doesn't mean I personally have anything against the players of the characters.

Tom, Regan is right about taking breaks when things start looking grim on all fronts. Give it a rest, step in where you feel able and just be well.

Look gang, here's how I see it. I woke up 4 or 5 days ago nasty. Sometimes I have to work it out. I have had alot of things build up and I had to hammer them out. Unfortunately I went off here. Now I learned a few things from this.

1: If I have a question, ask before I get frustrated. I get frustrated too easy when I'm bumping up against a wall.

2: If I have a moment where I get nasty IRL, I'll need to just go super-contra for a few days and let it burn off. Then I'll come back better for it.

Looks like that's what I gotta do simply.

And yo, I'll take a break, but if there is something tender and juicy, I gotta bite. It's my nature.

Hell, who's in favor for me to bring out DigiGeist for a few months while I resolve the stories Sakurako's in? I need a change of view, and I think some variety will do the trick.

Umm... Not I.

Don't take this the wrong way but I don't like the character DigiGeist. Never have. Endeavor I do like for a couple of reasons but that's all just personal taste talking.

Actually, saying I dislike the character is probably understating the matter quite a bit. Sorry.

This isn't meant to insult but if you're really interested there's a major reason I dislike the character of Digigeist that stands out above all the lesser reasons.

He detracts from Endeavor in a really weird way. There things I like about Endeavor and things I dislike but when DigiGeist pops up, Endeavor begins talking and acting like him. Which, since I dislike DigiGeist, takes away the things I think are positive about Endeavor.

So when DigiGeist shows up, instead of there being one character I like and one I dislike, there ends up being two characters I dislike.

DigiGeist strikes me as largely undefined - a general idea for a character that hasn't been fleshed out yet. As such, where Endeavor is consistently interesting, he's pretty bland. More play could develop him into something better, but I can see what Charr is saying. It might help to limit interaction between the characters. (Or not. Depends on how how your brain works.)

Archived