Little Nova's Day In The Park

Ashnod

Well, here it is. I don't know what happened to the first thread about this; it's gone without a trace and I wasn't the one to delete it.

There are no illustrations yet, I have two people considering doing them, so if there is ever a final, finished product, I'll let everyone know.

Apologies to everyone whose character I took a certain liberty with. I don't think Atwight lives in a skyscraper or that Wizard levitates in a big hedge maze, but it's a children's story after all. Jordan Rossi kind of ran away with the story, I put him because the character is close with Jager and I couldn't leave him out, but once in, he kind of took the story from Jager and ran with it.

In order of appearance...

Little Jager

Little Hazzard

Little Wizard

Little Jordan Rossi

Little Apep

Little Prodigy

Little Father Ryan

Little Ashnod

Little Atwight

Little Lucious Clay

Page 1:

Illustration:

We see little Jager peeking his head out the window of a small house. It is a bright and sunny day outside, and Jager is smiling as he looks out. Little Jager looks just like Jager, but smaller. Think Little Endless Story.

Text:

Once upon a time, there was a little Nova named Jager. One day, Jager looked outside and noticed that it was beautiful day with bright and blooming flowers, and deep blue skies full of fluffy white clouds and a warm sun.

[This message has been edited by Ashnod (edited 09-04-2001).]

Page 2:

Illustration:

Jager is now outside his house. His hands are extended at his sides in A kind of Christ-like pose. He is smiling and his eyes are shut. His head is bent backwards like he is basking in the sunlight.

Text:

Jager went outside and thought, 'Wow, it's such a wonderful day. I wish my friends could be here to share it with me. I think I'll go and find them.'

Page 3:

Illustration:

Jager is now sitting on the ground. He is wearing his familiar ballcap, fastening sandals to his barefeet. His tongue should be visible and an eye squinting to show effort, but it should also be very cute. A pair of sunglasses is next to him.

Text:

So Jager put on his most comfy pair of walking shoes, his sunglasses, his favorite hat, and went out on a walk to visit his friends.

Page 4:

Illustration:

Jager is now in a city. There are skyscrapers around him. We see one or two

Novas flying in the sky. There are a few baselines on the street. Little baselines look just like little human-looking Novas, except their colors are a bit dimmer, not as vivid. Jager is talking with two baselines and they look happy.

Text:

Jager's friend Atwight lived in a very tall building in a city full of baselines. Since it was such a nice day, Jager stopped and said hello to many of them and made their day a little bit better.

Page 5:

Illustration:

Jager is now in a glass elevator going up the exterior of a tall building. There are two buttons on the panel, one for up, one for down. The up one is lit up. On the outside of the elevator, we see a Nova flying alongside it waving to Jager, who waves back.

Text:

Atwight's home could be reached by pressing a button that carried you up many floors until you got there. Jager thought this was a little magickal, even though many Novas can go up without needing to use a button.

Page 6:

Illustration:

Jager is now in front of a big door that says “Atwight’s home! Top Secret Work Inside! Do Not Disturb!” Jager is knocking on the door.

Text:

When he got to Atwight's door, he knocked several times but nobody answered. 'I guess he's too busy to come out today,' Jager thought, 'because he's always busy with some new and fun idea.'

Page 7:

Illustration:

Jager is back outside of the skyscraper. He is walking, but looks like he has an idea and is holding one finger up in the classic “ah-HA!” pose.

Text:

As Jager went back outside, he thought of another friend he could go visit. 'I know,' he thought, 'I'll go visit Wizard!'

Page 8:

Illustration:

Jager is now confronted by little Hazzard, who while still mean looking, looks very cute in his chibi-smallness. Jager looks a little pensive. Hazzard looks pushy.

Text:

On the way to Wizard’s house, he ran into Hazzard. “Do you want to go to the park with me?” Jager asked.

Page 9:

Illustration:

Jager has taken a step back, holding his hands to his mouth like he’s a little scared. Hazzard is facing the reader, one hand to the sky with a haughty smirk on his face.

Text:

“No,” Hazzard said, “because I’m a mean, mean, Nova who has to go be mean to all the baselines!”

Page 10:

Illustration:

Hazzard is flying off into the distance. Jager is watching him go, looking a little sad.

Text:

‘That’s so sad,’ Jager thought. ‘It’s such a beautiful day, everyone should be enjoying it.’

Page 11:

Illustration:

Jager is wandering through a hedge maze garden with lots of Buddha statues and wind chimes. He is smiling at them as he walks by.

Text:

Wizard lived in a nice house with lots of lovely chimes and sculptures. Jager smiled at the music the wind made and looked happily at the pretty figures in Wizard's garden.

Page 12:

Illustration:

Jager is standing next to little Wizard. Little Wizard is dressed in Buddha robes and is in a lotus position. Her eyes are closed and she is hovering a few inches off the ground. They are both in the center of the hedge maze.

Text:

In the middle of the garden he found Wizard in a deep meditation. 'Oh no,' Jager thought, 'I'd better not disturb her. She looks so at peace and is already enjoying the wonderful day.' So he left Wizard's garden very quietly and continued on down the road.

Page 13:

Illustration:

Jager is walking down the street again. He comes across little Jordan Rossi, who is sitting on the sidewalk playing with clown make-up. He is drawing a little harlequin face for himself. Jordan, being the youngest, is even smaller than the other little Novas.

Text:

On his way to Apep’s house, Jager found his friend Jordan. “I’m going to Apep’s house,” Jager said. “Do you want to come with me?”

Page 14:

Illustration:

Jager is now carrying little Jordan on his shoulders. Jordan’s harlequin face is complete, and he laughs happily as Jager carries him, both arms in the air cheering.

Text:

“Yes, yes! I want to see Apep too!” Jordan laughed happily. So Jager and Jordan went off in search of Apep.

Page 15:

Illustration:

Jager is still carrying little Jordan. They are walking through Apep’s yard, which looks like a zoo of reptiles. Present are a big scarab beetle, some snakes, some lizards, a turtle, and a crocodile. Little Jordan is pointing things out to Jager as they walk.

Text:

Apep’s home had lots of unusual animals around it. On their way, Jordan and Jager saw a scarab, a turtle, a salamander, a gecko, a snake, a kimodo dragon, and a crocodile!

Page 16:

Illustration:

Apep’s home looks vaguely like a pyramid. Jager and Jordan are at the door. A snake is trying to bite Jager’s foot but can’t break his skin. It looks surprised and a bit dizzy. Jager is admonishing it by waving a finger as in “naughty-naughty.” Little Apep is peeking her head out the door. She is covering her eyes and yawning. Jordan is now wearing Jager’s sunglasses over the harlequin make-up.

Text:

Jager knew Apep loved animals so he made sure to that he and Jordan saw every creature that lived with her. Apep yawned when she answered her door.

Page 17:

Illustration:

Little Apep is now outside with little Jager and little Jordan, wearing very dark sunglasses and with the dizzy snake around her neck and shoulders.

Text:

"Gosh," she said, "it's so bright outside and I'm so sleepy. But it would a bad thing to waste such a day. I'll go with you." So Apep got her sunglasses and her favorite snake, and went along with Jager and Jordan.

Pager 18:

Illustration:

Jager, still carrying Jordan, who still has Jager’s sunglasses, and Apep are walking down the street. Jordan is raising one hand in the air triumphantly.

In the background, we see Hazzard chasing some baselines.

Text:

“Let’s get more friends!” Jordan laughed. “Let’s go see Prodigy!”

“Okay,” said Apep.

“That sounds like fun,” smiled Jager.

Page 19:

Illustration:

On the street, Jager is looking (with one hand at his eyebrow line) one direction, and Apep is looking the other in a similar pose. Jordan is on the ground looking towards the reader in the same pose.

Text:

But try as they might, they couldn’t find Prodigy’s house anywhere.

“I wonder where he hid his house?” Apep asked.

“I don’t know,” Jager said.

“Maybe he losted it!” said Jordan.

Page 20:

Illustration:

Little Prodigy, carrying a laptop, is now behind all of them. His face is making a “BOO!” expression. Jager looks startled, Jordan is clinging to Jager’s head, and Apep looks stunned with wide eyes and her glasses a few inches above her head. Her snake is in the air too, and it looks surprised

Text:

“Boo!” said Prodigy as he snuck up on them. “Are you looking for me?”

“You scared us!” Jager said to Prodigy. “Yes!” said Jordan.

Page 21:

Illustration:

Apep has her arms folded, looking indignant. Her back is to Prodigy, Jager, and Jordan, her glasses and snake are back where they belong. Jordan is covering his mouth laughing. He is back on Jager’s shoulders. Prodigy is elbowing Jager buddy-like, winking. In the background, Hazzard is now chasing a furiously running away Father Ryan.

Text:

“Well,” Apep hmphed, “you didn’t scare me.” But they knew she’d been a little scared.

Page 22:

Illustration:

Jager is looking at Prodigy’s computer, now back in his “I have an idea” pose. Prodigy’s laptop is open, and on the screen we can see the words “All Your Base Are Belong To Us.” Jordan is leaning forward on Jager’s shoulders to get a better look. Apep is looking to the background, cheering Hazzard on, who is still chasing Father Ryan.

Text:

“Prodigy!” Jager said, looking at Prodigy’s computer. “Could you send Atwight a message and have him meet us in the park?”

“Absolutely!” Prodigy began typing and quick as a whistle typed out a letter.

Page 23:

Illustration:

All of them are gathered around Prodigy’s laptop. Hazzard and Father Ryan are no longer in the scene, so Apep is looking at the computer too. Jordan is celebrating, Jager and Apep both look curious. Prodigy has an “I did it!” expression.

Text:

“Atwight says he will be there with a surprise for everybody!” Prodigy exclaimed.

“Yay!” Jordan hoorayed. “I love surprises!”

Page 24:

Illustration:

Jager with Jordan on shoulders, Apep, and Prodigy with computer are walking. They are all outside Wizard’s garden again, looking in towards the maze.

Text:

On their way to the park, they all passed by Wizard’s house. “Maybe she’s done meditating,” Jager said to his friends.

“We should see if she wants to come,” Apep nodded.

Page 25:

Illustration:

Back in the center of the hedge maze. Now there is a table and two chairs. There is a tea set on the table. One chair is occupied by little Wizard, the other by little Ashnod. They are both having tea. Jager looks happy that both of them are there. Apep is waving to Ashnod, who is waving back with her free hand. Prodigy is letting Jordan type on his computer, holding it up near Jager’s head. On the screen, we can see the words, “Move Zig!”

Text:

They traveled through Wizard’s garden and found Wizard having tea with Ashnod.

“Wow!” Jager said happily. “Both of you are here!”

“Yes,” Wizard said, “it was such a lovely day that I invited Ashnod over for tea.”

Page 26:

Illustration:

Jager, Apep, and Prodigy are scratching their heads. Ashnod looks amused. Wizard is speaking, holding one finger up like she’s lecturing. Jordan looks confused, taking off Jager’s sunglasses for a better look.

Text:

“I knew,” said Wizard, “that once you got everyone else you’d head back this way to get us. So we waited for you.” Jager, Apep, and Prodigy scratched their heads, because Wizard often said such strange things. But since she turned out to be right, it was okay.

Page 27:

Illustration:

The little novas are all in the park now. Apep is holding her snake towards Ashnod, who looks a little spooked. Little Atwight is there, with a box glowing a la PULP FICTION labeled “Atwight’s new surprise! Don’t open!” He is opening it. In the background, Hazzard is chasing more baselines.

Text:

When the little Novas all got to the park, they found Atwight was already there.

“Sorry I’m late, everyone,” Atwight smiled, “but I was working on my latest surprise.”

Page 28:

Illustration:

All the little Novas are crowded around the glowing box. All of them have faces of either joy or awe. Except for Atwight, who is smiling proudly. He is holding a glowing Popsicle like he just drew Excalibur from the stone. In the background, we see Hazzard still chasing baselines. This time, however, we see Lucious Clay sneaking up behind him.

Text:

“Quantum Popsicles!” Atwight exclaimed to everyone’s delight. “Enough for everybody!”

“Yay!” All of the little Novas cheered.

Page 29:

Illustration:

Everyone has a quantum Popsicle now, except for Jordan, who in some heightened state of childhood glee is convincing Atwight to give him two. The little Novas are also playing games now. Apep is hiding in a tree, but her chromatophores make her invisible to the other little Novas. She is letting her quantum Popsicle drip onto Prodigy, who can’t seem to figure out where it is coming from. Jager is throwing a dodgeball at Ashnod, but it bounces off her forcefield. Wizard is laying on her back, looking up at the clouds. In the background we see Hazzard look surprised as Lucious Clay taps him on the shoulder. The baselines have stopped running and look curious.

Text:

And the little Novas spent all day in the park, playing games, telling stories, and eating Atwight’s special Quantum Popsicles.

Page 30:

Illustration:

All the little Novas are eating their Popsicles, but they’ve all joined Wizard in watching the clouds, even Apep. In the background, we see the baselines cheering as little Lucious Clay stands victorious over an unconscious Hazzard. Lucious has a Quantum Popsicle too.

Text:

The End.

Well, that's it, minus pictures. I hope it brings a smile and maybe a chuckle or two to everyone.

I'm already thinking up additional books for the Little Nova series, so if you liked this one, let me know and I'll submit those to the Forum when they are ready.

I LIKE IT!

Thank you for sharing smile.gif

On a technical note, if your artist is perplexed about the baseline/nova contrast, may I suggest using earth tones (grays, browns, ect) for baseline clothes and colors for the nova's clothes? And of course the only ones with toys, props, are the novas. That should be enough to ditinguish between the two types of characters.

Thank you again for the story. I want a hardcopy for my son.

Very impressive. I like the storyline.

Obviously I must have been leading Hazzard away from the defencless people, and was NOT running away! Not with God on my side.

Anyway, you can use Father Ryan in any of your stories with my blessings. After all he is most definatly not a steriotypical nice guy and represents a faction previously missing from the forum.

Please keep up the good work Ashnod. Its nice to see such creativness.

Must go now. Just changed jobs so am far to busy to be chatting on line...obviously!

God bless all here.

That was fantastic Ashnod. You did a great job. What would be really cool is if WW published stuff like this. Gamers with kids would go nuts over this stuff!

Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

• 2 weeks later...

Bah! At least you can still hold up your head. After the local chapter of the Anti Nova league read it I was laughed out of the place.

They will be laughing on the other sides of their faces when God smites them for their wickedness. (I also pored sugar into their petrol tanks).

I seem to have less patience for divine retribution these days.

God bless all here.

Well, I told Ashnod I would give illustrating this a try. However, it is more difficult to draw chibi than I had thought. But I'm not done trying yet, if anyone would like to lend their creative talents, or any input whatsoever, please send me some help. Apophis@prodigy.net

[This message has been edited by Apep (edited 09-20-2001).]

Thank you for your kind comments, everyone. There is at least one more Little Nova story in my mind, but it has taken a backseat to two other stories I'm currently working on. As soon as it comes into being, I'll post it here. As this one centered mostly around Jager, the next one I have in mind will center more around Wizard.

• 2 years later...

Hmmm... I wonder... What would a new story with a new cast of characters look like...

Besides, wondering how Little Endeavor'd be doing her mischief would be TOO much cute for yours truely...

Hmmm... I just thought of a cast!

Little Walker (True Nature's Child...)

Little Vixen (Awww... lookit! A puppy!)

Little Endeavor (Hmm... Pocket Robots? ^.^)

Little Jager (Back for the sequel BABY!)

Little Ronin (Kids shouldn't play with swords...)

Little DigiGeist (Whoda thought a chibi Digi would have so much ANGST!)

Little TeknoKat (With all her toys!)

Little Widget (Can you say Dexter's Lab?)

Hmmm... We need more cast members...

Archived