Any new plotlines?

Sakurako Hino

Actually, I don't think it'd be that WORLD BREAKING. As far as I know, it's supposed to happen. Sooner or later, two "rogue" (at least in Utopia's standards) novas will get together, get it on, and, well, make themselves some little deities. If you know what I'm saying. Yeah, this could be a touchy little area on the board though. There'll have to be a HUGE build up to it.

As for E-Chan, I'm getting ideas of my own. I'm completely re-fitting her abilities, possibly giving her slight levels of taint to do it too. But, in the end, she'll be stronger, faster, better little otaku. Gotta get her ready for the XWF you know. wink Besides, I saw some things I could improve on her. I've discovered that 30 points does give you alot of options. But, at one time, Endeavor was designed on 50! The GM of that campaign wanted a REALLY powerful little otaku there. Perhaps if I have her dissapear for a month to train a bit, that'll give me time to update a bit. Then again we could fight some alien monster on Europa. Probably some ice ocean worm that jumps out to see if the interlopers on it's ice are edible. Muwhahaha....

[ 09-20-2002: Message edited by: Endeavor ]

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
Ahem.

This sounds like a good time to point out that there is a listed nova on these very boards who started out with a high Mega-Stam and "Health".

Not to name names, but Andies/Mox etc never had any effect whatsoever on Troll.

ComeUpAndSeeMeSomeTime laughwinklaugh

[ 09-20-2002: Message edited by: David 'Dr. Troll' Smith ]

Actaully, from what I understand, the better your resistence to diseases and drugs the more effective the antibaby dealie works. It's a retrovirus that has your body treat your reproductive boys as a disease.

All the scarier. E-Chan don't have the hyped-up health and M.Stamina. Yeah, she shakes off some nasty bugs, but not as well as Dr. Smith or any other "walking antiviruses" out there. So... If there were a breeding program, Endeavor would be one of the "prime" candidates. The effects of Adrenocillin are wearing off, and she's... well... in prime time.

Quote:
Originally posted by James 'Prodigy' Meehan:
Actaully, from what I understand, the better your resistence to diseases and drugs the more effective the antibaby dealie works. It's a retrovirus that has your body treat your reproductive boys as a disease.

True for mega-stamina. Untrue for "Health".

In addition to stating right out that it deals with the sterility caused by those drugs, health means that the drugs that normally bypass a nova's resistance don't. It lowers the tox level of diseases/poisons/drugs by one per level of mega-stam.

[ 09-21-2002: Message edited by: David 'Dr. Troll' Smith ]

Quote:
Originally posted by James 'Prodigy' Meehan:

Are you sure about this? I re-read the chapters in the Utopian book and I don't recall anything about it being a "retrovirus." I know it makes your immune system mistake the reproductive system as foreign, but IIRC, it's wasn't stated to be a virus.

Quote:
Originally posted by Endeavor:
There'll have to be a HUGE build up to it.

There is some disagreement even within the canon material on this. Part of the rationale behind the ending of the last Jilly 'n' Jack (plus baby makes 3) vignette was based on a line from the Utopia book substantiating that there are offspring of nova parents. In the vignette a specific quantum power also comes into play but not the one you probably think it is. wink

Anway...

In many places you will find heavy inference that novas are physically sterile rather than clinically sterile. There's even a line that states unconditionally that there has never been a case of a nova pregnancy. Which is in disagreement with the information noted above.

There is also disagreement on the prevalence of the "cocktail" used to insure sterility. Here on the forums it seems to be a given that every nova who ever entered an RF is sterilized when they take their first dose of Mox or Adrenocillin but again the books are schizophrenic on the matter.

What's the truth? Somewhere inbetween and as always mileage varies.

Prodigy is right about the contreceptives being designed to cause the nova's hyperactive immune system to mistake the gametes as pathogens and destroy them. The PU book refers to the contreceptives as "drugs" but I've seen the retro-virus explanation somewhere as well.

Troll is correct that there is an enhancement in the APG that will make the nova so healthy that even the uber-contreceptives bite. By the way, Doc, how did Proteus figure out Troll was still fertile?

:P

Endeavor... Sorry LNSE. The effect of the contraceptive techniques are supposedly designed so they don't wear off per se. Does this mean you can't have children? Ask Prodigy about his son, Fortune about his (coming) daughter, or Wizard/Elizabeth about...

Well, you get the idea.

If you want to get really creative, start extrapolating about novas with high levels of dormancy. At dorm 4 (I believe) the two bodies can be completely different.

So which one is sterile?

Why yes, my ST is annoyed with me on occasion.

Don't forget the Teregen Nursery either. They have like what, 10, 12 little ones all being taken care of by Bounty? Oh, Jordan's fertile too (Not that it'll do him any good wink I always liked that little irony about him). The Health enhancement can be so much fun.

Originally posted by Jack Chance:

Endeavor... Sorry LNSE. The effect of the contraceptive techniques are supposedly designed so they don't wear off per se. Does this mean you can't have children? Ask Prodigy about his son, Fortune about his (coming) daughter, or Wizard/Elizabeth about...

Well, you get the idea.

as I said any number of things can mess with a contraceptive. The number of other drugs that you shouldn't rely on the pill when taking them is... well fairly large.

Twist doesn't have the health enhancement because I won't have the APG until I go to Burton in early Novemember (My local gaming shop is really bad at stocking the aberrant line) so I didn't even know it existed. She has however been exposed to some fairly exotic chemicals in her line of work... in theory anyone of them could have blocked out the tag on her gametes.

If you want to get really creative, start extrapolating about novas with high levels of dormancy. At dorm 4 (I believe) the two bodies can be completely different.

So which one is sterile?

Why yes, my ST is annoyed with me on occasion.

LOL! now that is creative... presumably the nova one.

Becka

Quote:
Twist chuckled:
LOL! now that is creative... presumably the nova one.

Ah, but consider this; does that make a difference from the Proteus point of view?

The "dormed" form is a still a nova in as much as the genetic sequence for expressing an MR node is still present. Ergo the nova population can still reproduce and we've found the first of many chinks in the armor of nova population control. One would assume that, as proximity of quantum usage is a factor in eruptions, children will have a much higher chance of erupting in a household where Dad makes dinner with molecular manipulation and Mom is constantly phasing through the walls with density control. This kind of approach is what annoys my ST on occasion though our two Proteus games were pretty fun because of it.

There was one thing I was unclear on before. Sorry, but I was running low on sleep. Those examples I provided previously are of novas that reproduced (or could do so) by virtue of quantum manipulations rather than in spite of them. In one case, Fortune, the means were relatively normal. In the other two reproduction would be by means that baselines couldn't use. Or might not even consider as "reproducing".

If anyone would like, we can take this to a new thread and brainstorm ways for novas to reproduce by either exploiting weaknesses in the plan for population control or using nova powers to reproduce rather than simple biology.

Quote:
Jordan Rossi noted:
Don't forget the Teregen Nursery either.

I didn't mean to ignore you. Somehow I missed your observation while reading. Bounty was omitted as an example mostly because;
  • She gets brought up a lot by Jager, Ashnod and others already.
  • She's not so subtly used to make a point by the developer about Mal and the Terats. Personally, I find it ironic that Terats can't seem to transcend a human view on this subject without losing interest.
  • I was trying to think outside the box.

The irony of Jordi's situation is wonderful! I have one word for him though - donor.
smile

Both Apep and Ashnod are fertile too. But they were protected from sterility by "them".

Anyways, I don't think it should be by any means easy to become fertile. But I do think it should be a possibility.

Other than Anna D being pregnant herself, is there any proof that those clinics work?

Quote:
Originally posted by Apep:
Both Apep and Ashnod are fertile too. But they were protected from sterility by "them".

Anyways, I don't think it should be by any means easy to become fertile. But I do think it should be a possibility.

Other than Anna D being pregnant herself, is there any proof that those clinics work?

Well, just looking at the CoreBook, when Slider is freaking out to Corbin, she does ask him about his sperm count. He does fess up to it being 'low' (must have been tough for that cocky bastard) but low doesn't mean 'non-existent'.

Maybe Novas aren't completely infertile, just very low on the fertility scale. So, they can still get pregnant or impregnate someone it only takes a lot of work (I want that job!)

Quote:
Prodigy is right about the contreceptives being designed to cause the nova's hyperactive immune system to mistake the gametes as pathogens and destroy them. The PU book refers to the contreceptives as "drugs" but I've seen the retro-virus explanation somewhere as well.

I think the deal is that the retro-virus is in the drugs. Assuming that they are made seperately, the Project could add that to any nova only drug (Amp wells anyone?)

Quote:
Troll is correct that there is an enhancement in the APG that will make the nova so healthy that even the uber-contreceptives bite. By the way, Doc, how did Proteus figure out Troll was still fertile?

They don't know, not for sure. But they are bright enough to figure out that some novas still have a sperm count and that those novas are also immune to andies. It isn't a big logical step for them to say that novas who are immune to andies are possibily fertile.

Note that they might still be steril because of other reasons. For example, Troll is probably steril (green body-morphed blood). Smith however is almost human. And he had health and a really high mega-stam before he ended up in the clinic. I suspect that buying "health" after the fact doesn't reverse what has been done.

And it is Dorm=5 before you have 2 totally different forms.

Quote:

Agreed. In Cannon there is only that Q6 power and having enough health before the fact.

Although I suspect that Dorm=5 might do, but you would have to stay dormed for a month or so if you were a guy (sperm takes that long to make) or for 10 months for a gal.

Quote:

There are two other Elites also pregnant and under 24/7 guard by the company. Anna herself has Totentanz for a companion.

Do they work? Well, the implication is that all three are successes of the fertility clinic. If at least one baby is successfully brought to term then DeVries gaines a PR windfall like no other and Utopia is going to find itself seriously hosed over. I find it blackly humorous that the "death dealing mercenaries" would gain a reputation for assisting in bringing new life into the world while Utopia reputation is based on "... but we're (smile) trying really hard.".

Talk about Valor of Heroes! :P

Which, if Thetis realizes this before the babies are born, could precipitate a very nasty shadow war between Proteus and DeVries. One more underlying cause leading to the Aberrant War.

Quote:
David 'Dr. Troll' Smith said slyly:
...But they are bright enough to figure out that some novas still have a sperm count...

Thank you very much for the mental image of an eight foot tall, 900 pound beheamoth heading to the bathroom with a plastic cup and a copy of Playboy. With an old woman and an asian guy waiting outside the door whispering.

eek

Oh yeah. That was a picture I needed.

Too much information!

Easy to become fertile? Probably not but I approach it from the perspective that the conditions of the problem are already set. If Proteus overlooked something then that's their bad. The question of fertility is an individual one but bringing nova children to term in large numbers is the real social problem.

And personally I just can't believe that the Proteus solution is going to work for almost 60 years. I actually find it amazing that its worked for 10.

Quote:
And personally I just can't believe that the Proteus solution is going to work for almost 60 years. I actually find it amazing that its worked for 10.

I agree with your first position. As to it working for 10 years, I'm not real surprised. So much about novas had to be studied, figured out, compared and contrasted that I can see some sneaky group being able to pull the wool over everyone's eyes for about a decade. Once there was enough data out there, once enough studies had been down I can definetly see someone thinking 'Wait just a monkey spanking minute here.'

Quote:
Originally posted by Vile Bill:
As to it working for 10 years, I'm not real surprised.

What surprises me is two fold. First, that they came up with such a successful procedure without really understanding the ramifications of quantum abilities. Even assuming that the A! roots of the ÆON Society are part of the AB universe... Talk about dumb luck!

Secondly, there should have been a preganancy. Because of dorming, health, or any one of several nova abilities. Or because the Mrs was having an affair behind the back of her husband Captain Action and is now pregnant. Is she going to tell N! that its actually the mailman's? Or is she going to hug her hubby on live TV and talk about how happy they are. Its not like everyone is going to instantly demand a blood test as soon as the news comes out.

In that last one, if you remove the juvenile humor, is a valid point. If only because there is such a thing as artificial insemination. Heck, why didn't Utopia think of it? "Help" the happy couple by using a little donation from Fred down in accounting but giving Captain Action some genetic neo-technobabble as an explanation for why the old fashioned way won't work.

[ 09-21-2002: Message edited by: Jack Chance ]

Quote:

Thank you very much for the mental image of an eight foot tall, 900 pound beheamoth heading to the bathroom with a plastic cup and a copy of Playboy. With an old woman and an asian guy waiting outside the door whispering.

Now I have this frightening image of
Doc poking his head out of the cracked door as green tinged 'stuff' comes oozing out and yelling 'Hey, could I get a squeegee in here?'

I thank you, and my churning stomach thanks you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Endeavor:
*Pulls out da mallet*
DON'T MAKE ME USE THIS!!! I HAVE A BLACK BELT IN MALLET-FU!!!

I told everyone that she had a shoju hammer but did you all believe me?

NOoooooooooooooooooooo!!!

One thought for you on the re-write of Endeavor;

Stun Attack, two levels of weakness for range being limited to one meter. Defined as manifesting a HUGE mallet, which causes damage identical to the power named. The handle is as long as Endeavor is tall and the head of the mallet is larger than her chest.

Whoops.

Larger than her upper torso is what I meant to say. Of course its larger than her chest...

cool

What are you all lookin' at? Just tryin' ta be helpful here.

Quote:
What surprises me is two fold. First, that they came up with such a successful procedure without really understanding the ramifications of quantum abilities. Even assuming that the A! roots of the ÆON Society are part of the AB universe... Talk about dumb luck!
I don't think luck had anything to do with it. I would guess that a time-traveling Max Mercer decided to retroactively remove threats to humanity.
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Chance:Mrs was having an affair behind the back of her husband Captain Action and is now pregnant. Is she going to tell N! that its actually the mailman's? Or is she going to hug her hubby on live TV and talk about how happy they are. Its not like everyone is going to instantly demand a blood test as soon as the news comes out.
Have you seen the movie GATCAGA? (I hope I spelled that right).
Quote:
If only because there is such a thing as artificial insemination. Heck, why didn't Utopia think of it? "Help" the happy couple by using a little donation from Fred down in accounting but giving Captain Action some genetic neo-technobabble as an explanation for why the old fashioned way won't work.
Makes you wonder about Anna. "Artificia insemination" can work both ways even with modern technology.

More to the point, I suspect that DeVries may have gotten some outside "help". Just how did Bounty pay for the nursury anyway?

Here are some other thoughts involving health (I don't know if they count as being plotline related).

Health gets more effective with more M-Stam; At M-Stam 1 (I assume) you aren't steril.

So how much do you need to be immune to ecipsol and for your EuFiber to be immune to EuFreeze? (Both are Directive poisons/chemicals).

[ 09-21-2002: Message edited by: David 'Dr. Troll' Smith ]

Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
I don't think luck had anything to do with it. I would guess that a time-traveling Max Mercer decided to retroactively remove threats to humanity.

Hasn't been pretty much stated that it wasn't his decision and he wouldn't be/isn't happy about it? After all given when he initially saw all this he had an obvious chance to stop it happening.

Quote:
Makes you wonder about Anna. "Artificia insemination" can work both ways even with modern technology.

More to the point, I suspect that DeVries may have gotten some outside "help". Just how did Bounty pay for the nursury anyway?

DeVries probably has some novas with similar powers to Bounty anyway.

Becka

Quote:
David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:

Maybe, but that gets into a chicken and egg thing and assumes Max actually has a clear idea of ~why~ things will happen rather than just having a general overview of ~what~ happens. Suppose you ended up a hundred years ago and start skipping forward in time twenty years at a time and are only allowed to spend a maximum of five years in normal time with the rest of us. How will you prevent the race riots of the '60. Better yet, should try and prevent them? Do you dare take the action when you're not sure of the temporal ramifications to history?

I should point out there's a reference in one of the books to Thetis telling an operative to not bother ÆON with a report as Max "needs to focus on more important things". Personally, and I say this knowing I cannot prove it, I believe ÆON and Max actually precipitated some of the problems they would rather have avoided. Not out of malice or lack of trying. Merely because they didn't have all of the information.

Besides, if you went that route it would have been easier to kill Michael Donighal way back when thereby sidestepping the entire issue. Or perhaps tried to help him overcome his feelings of loneliness and alienation which led to him becoming Divis Mal.

Quote:
Have you seen the movie GATACAGA? (I hope I spelled that right).

I know the movie but I'm not sure which way you're bringing it into the discussion. As a point for or against the idea. I'm thinking Captain Action is going to buy the story publiclly especially if he wanted kids and loves his wife. The mailman may have a major problem though.

The idea of outside assistance in the pregnancies is interesting though. I'm not sure its necessary since what Proteus is doing is actually very simple. It would seem the only reason its gone on as long as it has is because no one has looked in the right place yet. They're assuming that there is something "wrong" with the novas when in fact its something "right" but twisted by Proteus.

Still, its a good idea and would explain the pregnancies without the conspiracy crashing down around Proteus' ears yet.

What? No comment on the wicked imagery you inflicted on the rest of us?

Added note;
For those interested in an interesting take on time travel that follows the WW default settings as listed in the APG, try reading "There Will Be Time" by Poul. Its a short novella but a roaringly good read IMHO and touches on many good points. The pros and cons of time travel especially.

Quote:
Originally posted by Twist:
DeVries probably has some novas with similar powers to Bounty anyway.
If that were true, then they would have more than 3, wouldn't they? Bounty exchanging favors with DeVries isn't that far into left field.

And Anna pushing herself to the head of the line for one of three "sure things" is more understandable than her spending lots of her spare time as a lab rat on untested basic research. The other alternative is that DeVries has a Q6 nova around.

Quote:
David 'Dr. Troll' Smith sez:
Bounty exchanging favors with DeVries isn't that far into left field.

Umm... There's a line in the Teragen books that states she won't do it for any one but a Terats and she considers it a "favor" of sorts. Its one of those examples where the developer was a little heavy handed and why I usually don't mention Bounty when discussing pregnancy. I hate being forced into accepting that there is ONE WAY and ONLY ONE WAY to do something in KB's game.

There are other possibilities to outside assistance without automatically invoking a Q6 nova power.

Quote:
The irony of Jordi's situation is wonderful! I have one word for him though - donor. smile

heh,hehehehe,hahahahahaha,HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA....HA...ha...heh. Oh, did I do that out loud?

Quote:
Hey! Why's Endeavor breathing so hard?

Jack, that was me! Just can't resist a big hunky man!

Quote:
Umm... There's a line in the Teragen books that states she won't do it for any one but a Terats and she considers it a "favor" of sorts.

Sure. And the master of favors is Raoul Orzaiz. So the question is, what would Raoul (or Mal, or Bounty, or Math-boy) want so bad that he would trade three "hits" for it?

I can think of a number of things off hand, including not going public with the info that someone like Bounty exists.

Quote:
I thought you were a big hunky man!

laugh

Remember, gentlemen, it's all fun and games untill a rampaging nova destroys half your city. :P And remember guys, that whole mallet thing was in fun. Jack did make that LNSE then Sailor Endeavor reference. All in one 24 hour period. But, then again, that would be an... interesting ability for endeavor to have... Perhaps all she went through made her go deeper into an anime obsession? Or maybe she just wants to drop the hammer. And dispense some indiscriminate justice. (Okay, I've been playing starcraft for TOO LONG!)
Of course, then again whenever I hit someone, damage points could appear like in final fantasy... Anima Banner could explain that... No... Even I wouldn't to that... I wouldnt forgive myself... *chuckle* *snort* BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA laugh

Man, this is what you get when you decide to spend quality time with your girlfriend for a few days...

Let's organise this for ease of sanity, shall we?

Sterile? Hell no! Alex isn't Nova, he's quite fertile. Sydney's Sterile, but that's completely separated from sterility drugs (if he managed to find a nova with the same Aberrations, who knows?), Teknokat has an issue with any sort of Drugs entering her system (Background thing), so she's fertile as well.

As for the dumb luck, not necessarily. The nature of the procedure should give you some hints there - It's not dependant on any quantum powers, it's just dependant on the nova having an immune system. It's actually remarkably simple biologically to get the immune system to turn upon itself. A tiny genetic shift can cascade down through the cells that are created from it, so that the immune system is fooled with the organ, but not the cells.

I mean, think diabetes. The exact system is being used here, except it's deliberate.

On that issue, A while back I realised the perfect way to shut down Sterility drugs - Just shut down the system that it's using to affect the body - the immune system! Get rid of the immune system, and the nova's incredibly regenerative system should be able to heal the gametes, and you now have a fertile individual.

The problem, of course, is one of side-effects, like requiring a sterile zone to live in for a few months while the gametes regenerate, or else the common cold could kill you. The other problem is that I find it rather unlikely that anyone has come up with a Nova-strength immunosuppressant drug (I mean, why? Limbs grow back, don't they? cool ). Still, both overcomable.

Anna DeVries. Doesn't the Elite book indicate that she considers herself a clost Terat anyway? Something to consider...

Movie Spellings. I believe it's "Gatacca". Close, buuuut not quite...

Jordan. Well, how about that? I never knew. I heard about the million dollar offer, but I never knew it was official laugh

Troll. AAAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!! Damn. I'm glad eyes grow back...

Quote:
I know the movie but I'm not sure which way you're bringing it into the discussion. As a point for or against the idea.
The point I'm making is how genetic testers were on every street corner. Everyone tested everyone, just as a matter of course. If your kid is one of the first 10 baseline/nova children, running some tests on the little hybred would be a priority. Note that many hybreds (mules) are steril, or have similar genetic problems. From there it is just a short step to finding out that his code doesn't match your own.

Quote:
What? No comment on the wicked imagery you inflicted on the rest of us?
The imagery was inflicted by others.

I only stated that Troll wasn't with the project long enough to have fertility tests. But he was there long enough to get andies & mox, and those had no measureable effect. Project Pro has enough background information to know that people who are immune to mox usually have health, and thus could be fertile (i.e. are fertile unless their powers prevent that).

If you assume that the mickies are in mox & andies, it is only a short step to say that they are in all nova drugs that PU or Project Pro can get their hands on. (::cough:: ampwells). Leaving the Doctor one of the few fertile novas around...

Archived