Any new plotlines?

Sakurako Hino

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, stories, plotlines, ya know.

It's been quiet on the Opnet board except for the whole preston thing. And that one has in my opinion, has gone foreward far enough for me not to chime in further. So... Here I am, just sitting, waiting. I'm just... well... seeing things are quiet. But, I don't want to force anything on anyone.

I'm up for it Jager. Is it going in the fiction section or getting played out on the Opnet?

Endeavor, how about building a story around the little trip to Europa I promised you? Maybe something along the lines of your Pacific trip, but with out any fratricide wink

If anyone else want's to use/abuse Walker or Dampner for that matter jus' lemme know.

[ 09-16-2002: Message edited by: Walker ]

The story is definitely after the party.

I don't see a way for Jager and Chance to work together. Jager tried to once, but Jack turned him down, flat. Do you see any common ground?

I see a way for Babylon to make an appearence, but I am not sure on the personality type and her reactions to Jager haven't been the best, either.

None of your characters like me, for that matter. laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
I don't see a way for Jager and Chance to work together. Jager tried to once, but Jack (Chance) turned him down, flat. Do you see any common ground?

That's actually two different matters.

On the first; think about the nature of the time critical job Jager asked him to do. The logistics alone were insane and reflected in the price tag he quoted Jager. Higher than many country's GNP, to pay for an entire team of novas being on standby, which would have only insured the possibility of success. Taking someone's money to do your best is one thing but Chance's reputation is based in part on success. Remember what Sean Connery says about "your best" in the movie THE ROCK?

Jilly was the prom queen. wink

Then there was the possibilities for repercussions with the new in-laws and his wife. Your "Jager and the Harversters" stories are very relevant here. Money is great but its just another way to measure your success in a game. When winning at one game means losing at another you have to set priorities.

On the second matter - common ground - it depends on what you mean. How important is it really? Its not like every client he's ever worked with has been forthcoming on the circumstances or nature of the jobs they hire him to do. He gives Rossi crap all the time but still won't kick him when he's down. He roasted Jager for talking smack about Ripsaw after he died but he also refrained from making comments concerning the RedAlert fiasco.

Besides; if he really had a reason to want to "get" Jager he would have simply told Jilly what Jager wanted to hire him for. Third party contracts don't fall under the blanket non-disclosure agreements signed while employed by DeVries.

Quote:
Jager;
There was I see a way for Babylon to make an appearence, but I am not sure on the personality type and her reactions to Jager haven't been the best, either.

Ask me the personality questions, or anything else you want about her, off line and I'll tell you whatever you'd like to know. As a very public Utopian there aren't many secrets about her life.

Quote:
Jager
None of your characters like me, for that matter. laugh

Sorry it seemed that way. Enjoy your story and good luck with it.

[ 09-18-2002: Message edited by: Jack Chance ]

*taps fingers on table*

Hmmm, the only active boards at the moment are flame wars... Endeavor really should have invested in an asbestos lined outfit...

I wonder who or what put the mad juice in the punch this time? I hope the next plot line is a fun one. We need more pressure releasing. Perhaps even a good laugh.

Quote:
Originally posted by Endeavor:
Walker: You got the time, I got the space suit! ^_^ Who's going to be the "controlling" force in the storyline? (In other words, who's writing the story?)

I think the storyline would pretty much be the challange of operating in the environment in the first place, space suit or not, (starts hunting for his copy of the Forever War) wink We could beam back messages to the Opnet board and make it up as we go along. Anyone else stoopid enough to come along, Twist?

I'll dig up some stuff on Europa from the net and drop ya a line

Originally posted by Walker:

I think the storyline would pretty much be the challange of operating in the environment in the first place, space suit or not, (starts hunting for his copy of the Forever War) wink We could beam back messages to the Opnet board and make it up as we go along. Anyone else stoopid enough to come along, Twist?

I'm up for it alright. Twist recently developed Adaptability so she doesn't even need a spacesuit any more.

I'll dig up some stuff on Europa from the net and drop ya a line

coolest! I wonder if it's true that there's life - albeit primative life - under the ice on Europa.

Becka

Quote:
And how does it respond to your manipulations of quantum in their environment? Gods, anyone.

That would depend how intelligent it is. If it's really primative it probably wouldn't have the intellect to come to such a conclusion. If however it had the mental development of... say a chimp or even more... say a dolphin. Then yes that could happen.

Becka

I'd say that you could form Eufiber into a kind of space suit regardless of M-Stam it might not be a very good one but it might be enough for a quick Vacc exposure.

"Open the pod bay doors HAL"

"I'm afraid I can't do that Dave"

Dunno whether it needs to breath, I figure it just needs to be juiced up with quantum to survive, though it might burn the quantum put itnto it to survive really hostile environments.

I hadn't thought too much about the possibilities of life on Europa but I'd imagine it being fairly primitive cos the amount of available energy might be pretty low and other scientific stuff like that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Walker:
I hadn't thought too much about the possibilities of life on Europa but I'd imagine it being fairly primitive cos the amount of available energy might be pretty low and other scientific stuff like that.

Depends if it's seismically active. If it is then the available energy might be high enough. That's the theory that deep sea hot vents like in Earth's deep ocean could support thriving ecosystems as they do on Earth with no need for sunlight.

you could try looking at this link for stuff about Europa.
http://www.theguardians.com/Microbiology/gm_mbm80.htm

Becka

[ 09-19-2002: Message edited by: Twist ]

The gods comment refered to ya'lls stepping onto Europa and your quantum expressions being the catalyst for the creation of life (no matter how primative) on a new world.

I know that there are endless discussions on what initiated life here on earth. Was it lightning? Living matter deposited here by an asteroid? Aliens seeding a million worlds? Does it matter?

Maybe two novas, lost in space and time, arrive on a Pre-PreCambrian Earth, shake off some 'dust' while they look around, and then warp away. Thus, we are our own mothers and fathers. Paradox?

The two of you have so many possibilities ahead of you.

Quote:
The gods comment refered to ya'lls stepping onto Europa and your quantum expressions being the catalyst for the creation of life (no matter how primative) on a new world.

Ok, that's just damn kewl. Somebody just might have to steal that one for future reference.

Quote:
Originally posted by Preston:
That bastard Jager stole it from the Pleistocene Epoch Saga. I can't remember the author.
The last book of the series is the "Unborn King".

I may be wrong but I think you mean the Pliocene Exiles books by Julian May. If so "The Non-born King" is the penultimate book in the series. The last one is "The Adversary".

Becka

Good thing Endeavor's been quiet on the boards. Now I have an excuse to say E-Chan's been building and developing some gear for the trip. Namely a small habitat that could be used as a base camp. We may have to "hop" back and forth for supplies once in a while. The most air and supplies E-Chan could squeeze in would be 1 days worth. To keep things light. Sorta sucks when she don't have that nifty adaptation ability.

?_? you mean to stretch out the supplies? Interesting concept. But... I don't think we'd want to stay longer than one day. Endeavor is not too receptive to Jupiter's radiation. Also I'd think things would be too dangerous being in a "mini" form. Europa may be an ice world, but it's crust is constantly moving. You don't want to be around when 2 ice plates start jostling and moving. Not to mention the geysers of super-heated water that jet out from time to time at random intervals. I'm starting to think Luna would be a better destination... But then again, what sort of adventure could we have on a boring rock like our moon? At least Europa MAY have life on it. Or actually... in it.

Quote:
Good thing Endeavor's been quiet on the boards. Now I have an excuse to say E-Chan's been building and developing some gear for the trip. Namely a small habitat that could be used as a base camp. We may have to "hop" back and forth for supplies once in a while. The most air and supplies E-Chan could squeeze in would be 1 days worth. To keep things light. Sorta sucks when she don't have that nifty adaptation ability.

You musta read my mind, I was thinking of having Walker make a couple of preliminary jumps to set up a base camp... but on one of the small moons outside Jupiters rad belts, say Sinope, that way we could stay for a few days, making jumps to Europa each morning staying 4 or 5 hours and coming back to review our findings each day. Even better, build the base camp on the back of a small truck and drive it through the gate. Adapt the fuel to run off a closed hydrogen fuel cell. Et Voila instant portable basecamp laugh

Next questions are, when are we going and who exactly is coming along?
Correct me if i'm wrong but so far we got
Walker
Twist
Endeavor

Does Doc Troll wanna come along? Tell devries it's excellent cold climate training and who knows where nova's will be expected to fight in the future wink
Is Jager coming along for the ride?

Anyone else coming, last call, interplanetary express now boarding. smile

*laughs*

Always thought what off-roading'd be like on an extra-terrestrial body...

Actully what sort of habitats Endeavor designed are the inflatable type. They take up no more space than a large crate. Just put some wheels on the bad boy, hook up a couple things, press a few switches, and in less than 10 minutes, you have a 1 atmosphere environment with airlocks! Ain't Sakura-Chan such a genius!

Yeah, good idea though to develop a "europa-buggy" for the trip. Might be quite useful. Probably an atmospherically sealed SUV on steroids. I'll bring the picnic lunches! wink

And in case of a water landing, YOU may be used as a flotation device. :P

A little arline humor... grin

[ 09-20-2002: Message edited by: Endeavor ]

After his last (first?) mission Doc would love something non violent, away from the press (and perhaps outside of any legal jurisdiction). Letting DeVries' spin doctors work without interference sounds like a good idea.

Also the "Smith" side of him is a typical techie. He'd jump at the chance of space travel.

What is this "Jupiter's radiation" I keep hearing about? That far from the Sun I wouldn't think there is much of a problem?

Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:

Also the "Smith" side of him is a typical techie. He'd jump at the chance of space travel.

What is this "Jupiter's radiation" I keep hearing about? That far from the Sun I wouldn't think there is much of a problem?

Jupiter produces a lot of radiation of it's own. That's what we're talking about.

Becka

Have all of you taken a moment to offer praise and sacrifice unto the Beneficent Murphy and his hounds of Entrophy as codified in the laws of Murphy's?

The memory of a certain young nova planning her flight across the Pacific comes to mind at moments like this. What a difference a couple of months has made, eh?

One thing I noticed in contrasting the preparations between the two was that back then certain young nova asked for assitance in identifying possible problems and recommendations.

Think transportation and medical.

What can keep you from coming back the way you went and what do you have planned to deal with that situation if it comes up?

How will you deal with medical problems coming up in the middle of nowhere? Introducing foreign organisms to a new biosphere? Both Earth borne being carried there with you and those you might bring back.

As improbable as it may seem, what will you do if one of the ladies demonstrates symptoms of morning sickness? Is a warp safe for the fetus? Ah, but of course no one is pregnant, right? Are you sure? Are your protective measures going to be up to snuff to insure the safety of a pregnant nova?

Just some thoughts.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Chance:

As improbable as it may seem, what will you do if one of the ladies demonstrates symptoms of morning sickness? Is a warp safe for the fetus? Ah, but of course no one is pregnant, right? Are you sure? Are your protective measures going to be up to snuff to insure the safety of a pregnant nova?

Just some thoughts.

Don't tempt me... just please do not tempt me. That's an evil idea. I like it. I like it too much. Please don't tempt me...

Twist

Twist: Thinking about being the first parent of a second generation Nova? One thing, Endeavor made the mistake of taking adrenocillin early on in her nova life. She's still sterile. But you on the other hand, I'd believe it. Hmmm... Unless all of a sudded E-Chan realizes the effects of the stuff she took have completely wore off... Naah. Endeavor chesked herself out THOUROUGHLY after she regained logic. The only thing that happened was a dislodged and misalligned back... Twist, I hope you know what you're doing.

Quote:
Twist: Thinking about being the first parent of a second generation Nova? One thing, Endeavor made the mistake of taking adrenocillin early on in her nova life. She's still sterile. But you on the other hand, I'd believe it. Hmmm... Unless all of a sudded E-Chan realizes the effects of the stuff she took have completely wore off... Naah. Endeavor chesked herself out THOUROUGHLY after she regained logic. The only thing that happened was a dislodged and misalligned back... Twist, I hope you know what you're doing.

Nah, Twist took Addies as well early on. She was a minor when she erupted (15) and her parents sent her to the London Rashoud facility didn't get clear of Utopia until she was (18) (2004ish). However no method of contraception is 100% effective and I suppose she could have been exposed to something that counteracts it.

And she wouldn't be the first. DeVries has a successful fertility clinic. It's even been mentioned on the OpNet.

However I think that without outside intervention by a fertility clinic or nova with appropriate powers a pregnancy might be considered world breaking by the board.

I'm considering the possibility but not that seriously. For one thing I'd have to work out who the hell she'd slept with.

On the subject of no contraceptive being 100% effective other drugs often lower their effectiveness. One is inclined to wonder what effect Eclipisdol(sp) and other non-Utopian nova specific drugs might eventually have on Proteus' little project.

Becka

[ 09-20-2002: Message edited by: Twist ]

Archived