Aberrant RPG - Quantum 6+

Tangent

Ok since nastiness is in order Q6 spatial manip + mastery is way freaking dangerous. But even at q5 take a meteor in space 4m*4m*100m made mostly of iron carve it in that shape out in the asteroid belt. Then push it for a few days, as there is almost no drag in space you get continuous acceleration. Get it up to say 1,860 mile per second. I know it seems insanely fast but not hard to do in orbit 1% light speed. Then open a warp in front of it that ends in T2M Hq and well boom. Object keeps it's velocity as it passes through the warp. What is the equation 1/2m(v*v) do the math big boom. So yea basically ST's get the right to say precogs see it all if the story needs it or why play the game.

Mastery with q-bolt, with MIRV means that you have a nova that could level every city on the eastern sea board within a span of a minute.

You would be limited to what you could see, so if a building is behind a building it wouldn't work. Area is the tool for offending cities, or (better still) Area and MIRV. Since Mastery only makes it a level 3 power, you could put two extras on it.

On the other hand, Area Effect+RQC would cause a wave of healing to come out form you and heal everyone in a 60m radius for up to 12 bashing, or 6 lethal levels for a cost of 6q.

You probably need to spend 1q for every 2 health levels for EACH health level. If everyone in your area needs only one level (or if you only do 1), then you are fine. If everyone needs 2 then you run out of juice after the first 20 or so.

I wanted MIRV because you could then pick and choose. Area would heal your enemies as well as your friends. MIRV gets around that and only heals the ones you want.

Do you understand that with Mastery and Teleport, your combat teleport is in kms, anyway.

No. Teleport's movement is it's effect, not its range. Combat teleport is doubled, although you could get reduced q cost and make it zero cost.

RE: Precog blocking.

You probably can't do that with INV. INV adds to soak and gives auto-willpower successes. Neither would help here. You need invisibility.

Quote:
Jake Stafford:
But even at q5, take a meteor in space 4m*4m*100m made mostly of iron carve it in that shape out in the asteroid belt. Then push it for a few days, as there is almost no drag in space you get continuous acceleration. Get it up to say 1,860 mile per second. I know it seems insanely fast but not hard to do in orbit 1% light speed. Then open a warp in front of it that ends in T2M Hq and well boom. Object keeps it's velocity as it passes through the warp. What is the equation 1/2m(v*v) do the math big boom. So yea basically ST's get the right to say precogs see it all if the story needs it or why play the game.
Two problems.

"...open a warp in front of it..."
1) How do you that? Warp opens a gate that is 3m x 3m. With Mastery (which would be hard at Q5), it would be twice that. Presumably the rock bounces.

"Object keeps it's velocity as it passes through the warp."
2) No. They don't. If I'm at the equator and warp to the other side of the planet, I'm not flung into space because of my relative velocity.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jake Stafford:
Ok since nastiness is in order Q6 spatial manip + mastery is way freaking dangerous.
Are you aware of to whom you are speaking? I ran a game where one of the players got Spacial Manipulation w/Mastery. I made a screaming mistake and allowed him Teleport as part of the suite. Bad move on my part.

At one point he teleported Ibiza. Well, not the island, let's not be silly. No, just every single person ON THE ISLAND!!!

Yeah, Spatial Manip w/Mastery is nasty. Guess what happens when he has Area on it to? Oh yeah, that's what destroyed 420 sq kilometers of Tokyo and 120 sq kilometers of Paris in one shot.

Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
Two problems.

"...open a warp in front of it..."
1) How do you that? Warp opens a gate that is 3m x 3m. With Mastery (which would be hard at Q5), it would be twice that. Presumably the rock bounces.
Warp is 3 *3 +1 per lev in either direction. So warp 2 would be 4 * 4 Mastery is area *1000.
"Object keeps it's velocity as it passes through the warp."
2) No. They don't. If I'm at the equator and warp to the other side of the planet, I'm not flung into space because of my relative velocity. [/QB]
One chooses what movement is relative to. Their is a good FAQ on it on the site but basically warp or telephoto need to by tied to a frame of reference. We don't know how fast we are moving on earth right now. But we assume it to be a zero speed. If inertia was set to null by passing through a warp powers wouldn't work through them so some frame of reference is needed.

Other point I was saying even without Q6 mastery Warp Or Spatial Manip are dangerous. Look at what James said try mastered t-port or worse Spatial Shock wave Q6 Smanip 5 area is 110 kilometers. Dam is decent and damages all things people, buildings, the earth's surface. Or take above example of meteor but now it is 5Km *5KM * 100Km and at that speed would destroy the planet. St's need the power to say no to those kind of things.

Regan sorry for dropping things theoretically on T2M Just easy lighting rod target.

Quote:
Jake Stafford:One chooses what movement is relative to.
I understand frame of reference, but the point is your frame of reference out in space is the rock you are on. You would go through the warp and be standing still.

Quote:
Jake Stafford:Or take above example of meteor but now it is 5Km *5KM * 100Km and at that speed would destroy the planet.
No. That is Gravity Control's effect, not its range. Just because it has the word "meter" in it's effect doesn't mean it goes up by 1000. It would "only" double.

Quote:
Jake Stafford:Other point I was saying even without Q6 mastery Warp Or Spatial Manip are dangerous. Look at what James said try mastered t-port or worse Spatial Shock wave Q6 Smanip 5 area is 110 kilometers. Dam is decent and damages all things people, buildings, the earth's surface.
Level 4 damage powers are nasty. Q-Bolt+Extra Range+MIRV+Mastery, power maxed for Area, from the moon and you just blew up half the planet. Everything on half the planet would take [36] in damage.

Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
Quote:
Jake Stafford:One chooses what movement is relative to.
I understand frame of reference, but the point is your frame of reference out in space is the rock you are on. You would go through the warp and be standing still.

No your frame of reference could be floating free in space with rock coming at you. Their are no privileged frames of reference.

Quote:
Jake Stafford:Or take above example of meteor but now it is 5Km *5KM * 100Km and at that speed would destroy the planet.
No. That is Gravity Control's effect, not its range. Just because it has the word "meter" in it's effect doesn't mean it goes up by 1000. It would "only" double.
No thats warp and effect is listed as make gates. The area is 3*3 +1 per lev I'd day that changes to km but is up for interpritation.
Quote:
Jake Stafford:Other point I was saying even without Q6 mastery Warp Or Spatial Manip are dangerous. Look at what James said try mastered t-port or worse Spatial Shock wave Q6 Smanip 5 area is 110 kilometers. Dam is decent and damages all things people, buildings, the earth's surface.
Level 4 damage powers are nasty. Q-Bolt+Extra Range+MIRV+Mastery, power maxed for Area, from the moon and you just blew up half the planet. Everything on half the planet would take [36] in damage.
Deal with warp is you can be half the galaxy away when you attack.
Just me picking nits.

The game I play in is a high-power QL 6+ game. Last year we blew up most of France. Didn't want to, and fortunately were able to transport most civilians out of the area - but it had to be done. Earth-shaking repercussions? Yes, of course. But it was a better alternative that what would have happened had we NOT blown up France. Way I look at it is, the game is all about making those hard choices, where you maybe have to do something horrible and have thousands of people killed - or do nothing and see hundreds of thousands murdered, mutilated, and enslaved.

The level of power that Nova with these levels of ability deal with is horrifying. (Or, perhaps some would say, exhilerating.

Stonewall

• 4 weeks later...
Quote:
Originally posted by Stonewall:
The game I play in is a high-power QL 6+ game. Last year we blew up most of France. Didn't want to, and fortunately were able to transport most civilians out of the area - but it had to be done. Earth-shaking repercussions? Yes, of course. But it was a better alternative that what would have happened had we NOT blown up France. Way I look at it is, the game is all about making those hard choices....
Why is it a hard choice?

You saved the civilians, there must have been one hell of a reason to destroy it if you went to all that trouble to save the people and destroy France.

Charlie, some people can't see the forest for the trees.

As for repurcussions ....

That depends if the PC's are in a class apart (power-level wise) from the rest of novakind. If they are powerful enough to annihalate a country, what can be done about them? Really.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm playing in a chronicle now that is starting off base so Q6 is way far off but I think Q6 will be either one of 2 things when it does happen... it will either be end game, or it will be the begining of the campaign in space. I don't see how powers like Mal's in the hands of PC's (which would demmand that NPC's also have it or else the antagonists get pulped real quick) will inevitably be too big to be confined to Earth. If you notice the power level of Earth based Hero's in comics are capped at Superman/Thor range. These folks are pretty bad ass on the power level but necessarily world shattering. When you get to Silver Surfer level and higher (though some may think SS is equal or less than Supe or Thor...) it tends to not work very well grounded on Earth. An Enemy like Thanos can be the nemesis for an entire team of Avengers but is good for a single Silver Surfer in most cases. Similarly if you have a bunch of Q3,4,5 people a crafty Q4 or 5 is sufficient as a nemisis, but if you have a Q6 or many it takes way more to take down the team, or at least the Q6 person.

A good example of a team of Q3 types having someone suddenly go Q6 and the consequences of that on the story is X-Men Phoenix Saga. Jean Grey goes to something that must be on par with at least Q8 and it takes the largest Empire in Marvel to try her in court, and even then only because she has contained the powers to herself. The story inevitebly ends tragically because any other possibility would have ruined the X-Men comic as a Jean Grey in full control of all the Phoenix powers would fix everything all the time and there would be no conflict.

Q6+ for PC's is the same as deification for PC's in games like traditional DnD IMO and so it is either end game or the entire chronicle shifts to account for that. In DnD you go to the Planes, in Aberrant I think you need to go to Space at that point.

Most of the civilians. The death tolls were only in the tens of thousands. If you've ever seen the movie or played the computer game "Resident Evil"? Well, the bug got out.

The Corporation that designed the Killer virus was also responsible for kidnapping and experimenting on several dozen Nova. They intentionally located their bases in major cities in order to prevent us from doing something big against them. We tried subtle, and to keep the war from getting out of hand, but when we got to France, they decided to release the virus into the wild, figuring they had nothing left to lose at that point.

By the time we stopped the spread, much of France was gone, as well as several other metropolitan areas throughout the EU.

We've moved into space in our campaign as well. It seemed the next logical extension to our activities on Earth. We learned that several ET races were active on Earth, each conducting fairly unethical experiments on (predominantly) Humankind.

None of them much like Nova - they considered us a threat to their behind-the-scenes dominance of Earth. there have been several skirmishes. For now we're at an impasse. Most of our prognosticators think the cold war will go on for hundreds of years.

(Our game is very much NOT Canon - though it draws from the Source material, additional plotlines have been drawn from numerous other sources. You could kind of look at it as The Authority meets the Uplift Wars.)

• 2 weeks later...

Quantum 6+ is quite literally UNGODLY. Think about the power that Pax has in World Wide: Phase One. He treats the Teragen's resident bad boys Geryon and Leviathan like toys (lets ignore Mal for the moment because his powers are beyond comprehension). Yes, the level four powers are poorly written. There are also very few of them in the book. Why would there be fewer powers as you get more powerful? I think WW thought by the time a character reached those levels of power they would have their own ideas as to what their powers should manifest as. I understand that the bad experience that you have shared with us stemmed from mastery, but that is the price of mastery (unimaginable power). Any power that has mastery tagged to it becomes a manifestation of supreme control/destruction/whatever. Think about immolate + Area extra + mastery. At Quantum six with four dots in the power? GAH!

The great thing that you point out is the amazing amount of people that feel that Domination must be in a chronicle or campaign. How many novas actually have the power in the released books? I can only think of two off hand, of course I am probably forgetting one or two. Mega-Manip is much more common. In fact Domination has become so prevalent in just about any Ab game that I have played in every freaking character I have made as a Will of 8+. I'll jump off my rant box now.

I personally don't let my players get Q6. Ever. To be frank, I have enough trouble with them wandering around with the normal powers without letting them loose with something world-shattering. Simply put, I don't trust them to not crack the planet in half or something similar. I think that Q6, and the powers contained therein are just too great in scope and power to be governed by dice, and should be abstracted as plot devices.

I all reality I think Williams has the best idea. Unless you happen to have a very well adjusted set of players I think "blowshitupus" (as you put it, good term btw) is inevitable. I think the powers do have some merit however. In a situation where the players are not alone, as far as having these powers goes, then these powers have a place. Someone earlier said that their game relied heavily on consequences of actions, and I also feel that this sort of concept should be in any Aberrant game.

Here is something to keep in mind... having power over one thing doesnt mean power over everything. Look at the write up for Splash in the Utopia book, for example... that is a Nova made with around 60 NP (4 dots in two level 3 powers and numerous other megas and powers) and yet you can take her out with a well placed rifle. Why? Because she is an interesting character who was built with in game eruption in mind, not out of game "what effect can I do" powers. Basically Im saying that a Q6 Nova can be a wimp or just have one really powerful power or just a spread of powers.

The idea is basically just saying to your players "IF I let you this, you need to justify it and not destroy my game"

Course then again, everyone has thought "DD 5, Mental Blast, Psychic Shield... ho ho ho I will be unstoppable"

But I dont think that characters erupt with being powergamed in mind. Eruptions, while they improve your life and have themes and trends, are rarely designed specifically in such perfect game breakign ways.

Even Divis Mal, Im sure, has a weakness

Quote:
Originally posted by Williams:
I personally don't let my players get Q6. Ever. To be frank, I have enough trouble with them wandering around with the normal powers without letting them loose with something world-shattering. Simply put, I don't trust them to not crack the planet in half or something similar. I think that Q6, and the powers contained therein are just too great in scope and power to be governed by dice, and should be abstracted as plot devices.
I dunno, actually. Nobilis has a similar (if not greater) Power Level to Q6 Aberrant (hell, starting characters can theoretically blow up the world with a decent Aspect Miracle if they're willing to spend the Miracle Points), and I find that the massive levels of power aren't as uncontrollable as people would think. And it's not like such powers are relegated to Plot devices - they're not rolled, but they're certainly fully entrenched in the rules.

One of Aberrant's primary themes was the idea of gods roaming the earth, and the consequences of that little fact. Who cares if they blow the world up? If they really want to, they can deal with the consequences afterwards. The world in Aberrant should be mutable - the players should be movers and shakers, changing the world towards their agenda. Players should also be shown the consequences of their actions, of course, like a nova from that island they just submerged wanting to have a little talk with them...

What's the point of having all that power if you're not allowed to use it, after all?

In the game I've been running for coming up on four years now, most of the characters are at the Q6+ level now, and have been for the last year or so. They have had tremendous effect on the game world, unsurprisingly, and have made their fair share of horrendous mistakes. However, knowing how much damage they _could_ do, and having seen how horrific large scale effects from some of the NPCs have been, they have avoided doing anything too bad with their powers.

Part of this is that there are NPCs out there that are at least close in power level to the players and would try and stop them if they got wind of something truly awful in time to do something about it (thinking of Pretercog here, for example). A bigger part though, is the PCs taking more care about their actions. The Aberrant theme of power and responsibility can come out really strongly here. Where less powerful novas might be able to confront their foes directly in a firefight or similar, Q6+ novas have to worry about a stray shot taking out lower Manhattan.

On the few occasions where it loked like things might go towards total annihilation, there's usually some way to stop it, whether by a mysterious nova getting involved or by some seemingly impossible event occuring. So far, all of those have ended up developing into great plot elements while I try to backtrack and explain what the heck actually happened. Not to say that there are no consequences of the actions, just that they can be more far reaching or personal in scope than casual destruction.

Just from my personal experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally i thin the only real problem with any high level power is the lack of commincation between players and storytellers. Also a lack of compassion on the part of the gamer for his storyteller is to blame sometimes. As a gamer one should look at these powers and see what kind of fun they could inject in the game and talk to the storyteller. As an example:

I talked my ST into letting me start his Aberrant campaign with a character who had quantum construct but with strenghts and weakneses so that everything i created was permanent until destroyed or disrupted. Later he allowed me the ability to make extended Quantum Construct rolls that allowed me to make truly massive and beautiful creations. The idea behind this latter effect was that if i could make Permanent constructs, why were they limited to whatever i could make in an instant. Eventually I got around to creating a sentient being called Gaia who was a glowing blue female figure with Shapeshift and Animal/Plant mastery both at 5. I had control of her for only a few sessions. Now, at first read this sounds kinda powerful to let a PC weild it. But my ST was very much in favor of givving you enough rope to hang yourself. Eventually i was brain-raped by telepath and made to forget I had ever or could ever create a sentient being. (I didn't guard the switch on this nuke) So now there is a pretty powerful being running around the world who understands next to nothing of the world. I have no idea what the ST has in mind, but i look forward to it. Anyway back to my character. I started looking at what master could do to my characters power and got the great idea to (after i reach mastery) create i giant quantum constructed ship that rivaled that of Authority's Carrier (something like 100 miles long by 50 miles wide). I even designed it with a bunch of additional powers. Basically this think and me could have eradicated the earth. But my plan was (as hard as this might be for some people to understand) not to take over the world or destroy it utterly, no I wanted to begin the Space saga and either find or mistakenly create the Quin. (I agree really powerful novas should just go to space but it's not necessary). My very long point is that Power level and qunatum aren't the problem, it's the way they automatically get used to become the global threat. And as for Domination... yes maybe people should start guarding their switches in ways that make sense to the character. Perhaps a mentor wise in the was of novas suggests to his fledgling apprentice that he invest in sheilding his mind. Just a thought

Loki.

I have just created 50 nuclear weapons in the half-Megaton range. I intend to use them for mining in the asteroid belt.

Is everyone okay with me putting these up on space platform for their eventual transit beyond Mars?

There is power, and the perception of power.

Let's say your character falls in love with someone. An enemy kills her, and in a fit of rage, you use your uber-carrier to eradicate your enemy. People are not going to be looking at your motivations. They are going to be looking at the smoking crater that used to be a mountain.

Your playing a good guy, so (until you get mind-screwed again) you know the world is safe from you. But, does the world know this?

i'm loki's storyteller

he asked me to relate a one shot we did called 33 AD (after divis) which they played a bunch of terats in the midst of the aberrant war, one of them had something called the ill defined power which they used to jump into chrysalis three or four times in one session.

this got out of hand, by far the most out of hand game in my out of hand existence. oh man.

by the end, loki had become all powerful mega physical master (cursing himself a fool for only going the mega physical path in a game that quickly became a footrace to Q10), another character became a robot the size of a chrysler building, and my personal fave became a permanent warp gate that had a reach of millions of light years.

the power (which rapidly became extremely defined) allowed them to speed up time in an area and so very soon the game became rescuing terat cocoons and releasing them back into the war while dodging un forces.

this game was about seven hours long and about half was spent calculating what everyone had gained in the most recent chrysalis, worse was the fact that halfway through two characters had the power and were jumping at different rates and times. after i did the annoying math stuff i had about five minutes to figure out what had happened since the last time they had been outside of their little chrysalis energizer field during a fifteen year war that the characters were catching glimpses of in periods that could be as little as an hour. it was a hell of a headbender and that session was some of the most fun we ever had.

the point?

every storyteller should work at the level they are comfortable at.

to say that this power is unbalancing or that this power lever is unfair and no fun, is to say that you as a storyteller can't hack it.

plain and simple, cut and dry.

some storytellers don't like high powered games, that's okay it can sometimes turn into COSMIC HULK SMASH! (loki cut a swath down europe along the greenwhich line at one point for the hell of it) but it can be many other things and the limit to these things is your imagination.

big power means big themes and big decisions. after fifteen years the world's environment was destroyed and the radiation background count- well it wasn't in the background any longer. the world's smartest nova and greatest mentalist (wonderful how they go together don't they?) had taken over the world and put everyone in a hivemind and forced them to realize the damage they had done. after a week of peace everyone was released with the understanding that by the end of the month anyone who wanted a free will for the next fifty years would have to leave earth while the hivemind reset the world.

now this game was more of a sketch and less in depth character work. i'm running a multiverse war (can i get a heya! for the Slider Corps) and i was interested in showing different sides to characters and showing off where i thought certain events should go if the players kept up their evil teragen ways. plus there was the added bonus that i could reveal sections of my metaplot while keeping the main characters in the dark.

two things before i go, taking it to space is not the most logical conclusion in big power games- it's just the easiest.

try a fourth dimensional war on for size,

try a story about trying to upgrade human morality.

why not just hop dimensions instead of space.

or how about the cosmic powered man who is just trying to be human. set it up so that the players don't want to use their powers due to the horrible cost. or maybe they don't have the power but an npc does and they are trying to influence their decision- whatever. the powers and abilities of characters are not the characters, they are the accents and highlights. it's the evolution of the character not how many points he racks up that is important. in the end i find the power level of my characters to be irrelevant in my world there are many levels of conflict and i don't mind letting character get in over there head and hanging themselves. in the end the characters themselves choose their level of participation in fight club.

personally all my characters generally try to set up an intra-solar transport system regardless of level. i just feel humanity should be in space is all.

and lastly on that tokyo thing- in one of the first jumps the japanese technocracy lifted all three islands into space during one of the first salvos of the war. later they were eaten by spacejira (what leviathan became.)

sorry it's such a long post- i always feel like a windbag whenever i post.

Heh, oh that's good. I like the Spacejira idea.

It sounds very much like you are one of those gifted GMs that can run a fun and interesting space opera. By space opera, I refer to a power level on par with Simon Green's Deathstalker series, or Ian Bank's Culture series.

I was fortunate to have a GM that could pull off that kind of game. I've had about a dozen friends that GM, and I only trust one of them to pull off that kind of power level. I tried it once. It was a horrible failure.

I think it's more of a style thing, though. The GM who can run interesting space operas, can ONLY run interesting space operas (I call them Craig Games for that reason). Some GM styles are suited for it, others are not.

Appologies for rambling. I liked the story.

The GM I talked about above, Craig Perko, is the best GM I've ever had with high-power campaigns. I've had some incredibly interesting and funny games with him.

Explaining them...is a lot harder. My favorite ended up with me becoming an elemental/spirit/god of combat, another PC becoming a dyson sphere for a small galaxy, and yet another player becoming a ninja of such extreme power that the universe forgot he existed and he disappeared completely.

i really liked the deathstalker series, simon green writes like a lame, but he has some cool ideas. i've always wanted to steal the pleasure planet gone wrong idea but i've never had the right setting to do it in- although i just figured out a cool twist for my next exalted game.

anyhoo, i've never run a space opera, every time i try something stops me. despite the 33 million light year reach on the warp gate (it actually works that way with the math of the game, i didn't just pull that # out of my butt) they only left the solar system once in that game to flee the hivemind; then they left the galaxy to start a war with an alien species the precogs predicted they would be fighting a war with within the month.

amusingly enough, it was the scouting mission that led to the war (who didn't see that one coming?)

i didn't even mean to have it happen that way- well, i knew that loki is an impulse monkey and the first thing he would do was kill anything that moved so...

hijinks ensued.

and for great SF read the night's dawn trilogy (all six of them for the american release) by peter k hamilton.

rocked my world believe you me.

I liked the Deathstalker series, but only as long as the main character was still around. The other books that didn't involve him were worthless. I was amused by the time-loop involved, simply because it was an a-symmetrical loop, and didn't have the main character ending anywhere near the beginning of the series.

The hell planet was OK, but I've seen it done better in other books. What really rocked my world in his books were the various post-human cultures.

Codex & Singularity: Why do you think it was my favorite? But it was only the third weirdest game-outcome we've had.

Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn 'Alchemist' Roberts:
Codex & Singularity: Why do you think it was my favorite? But it was only the third weirdest game-outcome we've had.
Hey, I was in a KotE game where someone became a Yama King and had a massive Godzilla-esque fight throughout Hong Kong with another PC who was riding the Red Dragon as a mount.

I also had my 12th generation vampire in another game go up against Goratrix during Gehenna. And lived (w00t for maxed Fortitude and Etrius intervening).

A druid character of mine also took on an elder god, destroying its prison for another elder god, saving the world from enslavement.

Man, maybe I shouldn't be saying this, I'm going to loose what credibility as a restrained player I have.

Archived