Aberrant RPG - Hypermovement

Sorry to all if this a repeat. Has anyone else realized that a starting character with Mega-dexterity 4 and Hypermovement 4 would be capable of generating a Thunderclap 4, five times in the same row at maximum velocity. It wouldn't be a Thunderclap 20 since sonic booms only happen each time a new Mach is broken but still, what a powerful attack for a new character (namely myself).

Hey, trade in a dot of M-Dex for M-Str if you want a powerful attack. Look in the back of the book for "Hyperspeed Strike". Use that with a lamp post...

Oh, and technically speaking, that's more middle of the range than powerful, as an attack. Quantum Bolt does far more damage laugh

Sonic Booms?

Please correct me if I am wrong here, working off of memory and poor knowledge of metric system.

Figure Dex 5, MegaDex 4 w/Enhanced movment and HyperMovement of 5.

Sprint=(Dex*3)+20 meters per turn. A turn is 3 seconds I believe.

So with above we have [(9*33)+20]*5, correct?

[(9*33)+20]*5

[(297)+20]*5

[317]*5

So, 1585 meters per turn? Shit, thats fast.

So, 1585 meters per turn, with a meter being close to three feet is 4,755 feet per turn?

20 turns per minute gives us 95,100 feet per minute. 60 minutes in an hour gives us 5,706,000 feet per hour. 5280 feet per mile gives us about 1,080 mph. Damn. Sonic booms.

But, I thought if you were sprinting that you couldn't be in combat? Something about run was the fastest you could move with any sort of precision.

So, is running by someone considered combat? How about trying to run by them several timess during a combat? Hmmm, me is confused.

At sea level the speed of sound is around 60omph, and if Meehan has the right numbers you reach around Mach 1.8, thats only 1 sonic boom. Since a sonic boom is a contiuous effect, your coud only expose any one person once. If you were some how able to double back you could hit them multiple times.

But the big problem is that a sonic boom wouldn't do that much. The aeorodynamics of the human body does not lend itself to vortecies which would be the only way you could duplicate the thunderclaps physical effects. Moreover, a thunder clap is a quantum power, and does not justify iself with normal physics.

However you might be able to get a strobe out of te whole deal.

I was merely speaking from the rules in the core book that state at with hypermovement 4 you break the sound barrier. then times the enhanced movement enhancement. I only used the sonic booms thing to determine if the damage should be applied cumulatively or successively.

The place in the rules you are talking about specifically states outside of combat you have a base move of 500kph, so actually at Hypermove 3 you would break the sonic boom barrier. And yes, at that point enhanced movement does give you multiples, but the concept there is you are flat out running in a reletively straight line, without any of the manuverability required for combat. You could get one run through in an entire combat and then only if you were close enough to the action to be able to make sure that your straight line bisected the battlefield.

I don't think of running characters as combat-mongers, I just think it's a cool ability aux ability if you designed your character for speed only. You can use it once a round for a decent area attack. That's all.

And, of course, you're absolutely right. However, the majority of us have been here a while, so we've had time to think of absolutely horrendous attacks (Just ask Bobmaster Squared :D). Thus, yours kinda undershot the mark.

But, I would probably consider this attack to be able to work a little more than once per combat (Military jets can go that fast and I don't see them being restricted to a straight line - they can maneuver at that speed). However, I would still keep it to around Once per 2 or 3 combat turns, to keep some realism to the attack.

• 1 month later...

Agg damage does not stack with MegaStr Damage. Sorry.

Agg damage is supposed to come from some source that is so horrifically damaging that it is beyond lethal. Agg claws should never simply be sharp pokey bits. Acid dripping blades, hard radiation concentrating around the fingertips, something like that. In these cases added strenght just doesn't do diddly.

Agg damage, if I remember correctly, always does Quantum damage + the number of applicable successes on the attack role. So your character, assuming he had the Crush enhancement, would do 25 auto levels of lethal + 5 dice of lethal + Quantum level of agg + whatever the attack successes up to five in levels of agg.

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: James 'Prodigy' Meehan ]

Seriously Big Hole in the rules here, James.

Quote: (p231 Abberant Book) This Extra, when applied to a power that causes bashing or lethal damage, makes THAT damage aggravated. The character inflicts a base amount of aggravated damage equal to Quantum, than adds attack successes from her skill roll to determine the total aggravated damage inflicted."

Now, does that make the automatic damage successes from Mega-Str. aggravated or are they lethal (due to claws)?

Personally, I go for Armor-Piercing instead, but that's just me. Also, to counter-act the aggravated mayhem, don't overlook the Impervious Extra as it both negates AP and converts Aggravated to merely lethal.

Last, but not least, dont' forget to fight Mister Aggravated Claws in the hospital's sub-basement. Neither structures nor normal folks can soak aggravated, so bye-bye buildings and bystanders. Better yet, toss his/her friends into those bad boys or use them as your shield. They won't actually soak any of the incoming damage (usually), but the look on the other players' faces should be priceless.

After all, nothing says "I don't take prisoners and I love to devastate whole worlds" like making any power aggravated.

Pete, can your boy take what he dishes out? That is going to be difficult, especially if your ST allows the whole shebang to be aggravated. Don't miss, because 30+ levels of unsoakable carnage makes awful big holes in just about everything.

That is an impressive amount of aggravated damage so you may hold your head up high.

So far as I understand the rules it's perfectly acceptable.

Objections to aggravated damage as being too powerful? Come now, are we not being a little hypocritical?

(As I recall someone here made mention of Mega stats in the 6's.)

So what in either case. It's a game about having superhuman powers. If characters are willing to spend their xp on extras or high levels in powers/stats then fair play to them.

Good point though about the soaking.....only way to really find out is to learn the clone power and fight yourself...

God bless all here!

Ok, I can't quote it here so I won't be putting this down as cannon law but from what I understand is correct.

Agg claws do not make MegaStr autosuccesses agg. Agg damage has nothing to do with how hard you are hitting.

Jager-If I have agg claws and if we do accept Petes 31 agg levels of death per punch there is absolutely no reason in the world why he would do anything other than leave hand sized holes in anything. He didn't mention the area extra or the explosive extra .

Father Ryan-I don't complain about agg being too lethal. It ups the cost of a power, it halves the range if applicable and if you are running a game where you make it very easy to add on the agg extra without demanding much of an explanation then the flip side is true, you also make it easy to simply purchase on dot of MegaStam and add Hardbody enhancement. Boom, now all of your soak (forcefield, armor, eufibre, etc) is resistent to agg. No problem.

Yes, he puts hand-sized holes in everything, and I mean everything. Nothing that isn't a 'hardened' nova is even slowing this guy's punches down (save the length of his arm, I guess). Mind you, an aggravated ranged attack is also terrifying, but at least it does a bit less damage.

As for Hardbody; the guy is still tossing out a min. of 29 (25 MStr. + min. Quantum of 4) levels agg. each hit. That's a good deal for even a lethal soak.

Sorry Jack ol boy, I didn't make myself very clear. If you want to run it that megastr and agg stack, that will always be a god awful combo. I was just addressing Father Ryan stating that he didn't like it when people bitched about Agg itself being too lethal. I don't have a problem with Agg in an of itself simply because Hardbody is fairly easy to slap on anyone in the same game when agg can be slapped on anyone.

There have been attempts by the various members of my group to change the auto successes of mega-strength to aggravated damage with varying degrees of success.

Using nothing but the core abberrant those 25 or so automatic successes should only apply to streangth and might rolls. Brawling is not mentioned. For the most part dexterity is used to determine the if of your attack and streangth is used for the how much.

Now personally I preferred ranged aggravated claws. They provide the added suprise of range to the already death dealing combo. Now if your were to specify your claws as spectral force it would impose heavy penalties to dodge

But if you want lrge quantities of agg. damage for relatively cheap cost go with agg. telekinesis. get agg. dmg for maintenace duration.

I finally found it. On this very webpage, under downloads there is the Official Errata for the original book. It states that claws with the agg damage don't stack strength damage.

That must have been where I originally got it from.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, Hyperrunning, eh?

Well, If I were making that the basis of his Taint, I'd emphasise how his speed is making it difficult for him to "slow down" as it were.

Say that the power could be permanent? Maybe a bit off for that level of Taint, but it would show how he's become so enamoured of his high speeds, he can't slow down to save his life. He has to be constantly on the run, literally. But, that's pretty damn harsh. Maybe keep that one for later.

Or, perhaps an always-on Anima Banner that causes after-images everytime he moves. Make it so that he still looks fuzzy even if standing still. It's certainly flashy, and means that there's no way he can be mistaken for a baseline (which means covert missions aren't so good for him)

Maybe a Mental Aberration? Perpetual Impatience may be a good one. It's not in the book. Don't bother. But essentially, he can't tolerate even the smallest delay. Instant Gratification is still pushing it...

Finally, maybe his body begins subtlely changing shape. His face and front begin to become more... sharpened, more streamlined. Not much, just a little, but anyone seeing him will feel a little freaked out at the subtle deviation from normality.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! I like the Anima Banner idea. She wasn't very good at blending in with the baselines at any rate, she has four arms and two dots of the Fame background. A friend of mine suggested that I make her Hyperreactive. She treats everything as a threat. Someone walks in without knocking they get a blade to the throat before they can react. She is ex-XWF and is used to having her life threatened. I haven't yet read the XWF book though unfotunately so I don't know what game she played. If there is something Rollerball-esque that would be optimal. In any case, I think that I'll use your Anima Banner effect. Thanks again.

You want a big hypermovement attack, forget air and thunderclaps. move to water it's much thicker, you move just the same speed and watch the tidal wave you will create with your bow wave when travelling a thousand miles an hour.

But it may annoy all those beach front residents you swamp.

Archived