A Thought and Some Questions

Kirby1024

I have been noticing for some time that a lot of people are not particularly enthusiastic about using the tag system - or at the very least, feel that they have no need to use them. It seems that the [NC] tag in particular has almost become the mark of evil on this site, and noone has any desire whatsoever to create fiction that may attract such a tag, to the point where I have heard of some people deliberately withdrawing fictions when it is stated that they may get the tag placed upon them. As such, I'd like to ask people, what exactly is it about these tags which cause you to run screaming from them?

When I originally came up with the tag system, the intent was not to stifle creativity, but to encourage it. The Fiction Boards have become a major part of the roleplaying aspect of this community, but when I first devised the idea of tags, it occured to me that people may simply wish to post up a piece that, while not necessarily Board Canon, could give people certain insights into the Aberrant World (or possibly their characters). Also, I wanted to give people the option of writing stories that didn't necessarily have to make it onto the Opnet Board.

Are none of these considerations relevant anymore? If so, do authors wish to keep the tag system? If they do, should we rethink the rationale behind their use?

I would appreciate everyone's input on this subject, whatever the input is - If a new system is needed, or at the very least would suit the site's culture better, I'd like the people who will be using it to have some input.

I think the simple answer is. Most people want to keep in line with the opnet so they dont feel the story is wasted.

If you write a strong story that others can use or talk about IC then you are going to prefer that to something others can read but never truly participate in.

For me, having a Non-Canon label put on one of my stories by another person is basically telling me I've wasted my time. I don't have the time to waste, quite frankly.

On a positive note, I would like to thank TimeSlip and Long for breathing new life into the fiction section.

Quote:
Originally posted by James 'Prodigy' Meehan:
Waste of time?

How come? If you've told a good story, one that people enjoy and that you enjoy, how is that a waste of time?
My personal preference is that I write stories that others can play off of if they want. I feel that the stories should provide impetus and inspiration to the setting.

There's Always Tomorrow by Vixen. One of the better stories I've read here, the source of much controversy between other players and I, and one I find profound on several levels. If anyone haven't read it, I can highly recommend it.

One of its more interesting qualities lies in its ambiguity as to whether it is NC or not. In my personal opinion; a tag on that story would detract from the story itself as it would remove the ambiguity.

My apologies for this, but I find it to be true.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
On a positive note, I would like to thank TimeSlip and Long for breathing new life into the fiction section.
Glad to oblige, but my fiction has run into trouble of late.

I'm hitting a writer's block of some sort; where I used to be able to put up some decent writing, I'm struggling right now to just get simple dialogue out there. I miss being able to put something up with the intensity of "Mothers and Daughters", or with the descriptive work from the first post of "A Dinner for Three". It's like the summer heat and humidity is sapping my will to live...or at least to write.

Quote:
It's like the summer heat and humidity is sapping my will to live...or at least to write.
It's called burnout; happens to us all. wink

Just let it run itself out and you'll be ok. Or you can rigidly force yourself to write something somewhere every day to jump start your writing. Or do whatever works, everyone seems to have their own bag of tricks.

Heh I'm jus glad to be able to work with all of you. I truly enojy the larger fictions as they present so amny options. I owe alot of my work to Timeslip and Jager, they've ben great sounding boards and given me excellent ideas. It's been great to work with you both.

I dare you. ( :

Honestly, I'd completely forgotten about the [NC] tag. I think that if I actually manage to write a fiction sometime (any day now ...) I'd be just as likely to go non-continuity and continuity.

However - to judge from the story ideas I've played with - I'd probably not even write about my forum characters, instead creating entirely self-contained fictions, so I might be in the minority on that.

Archived