Interim Ep 3: Marking The Trail [Complete]

Bannon

"So, let's clear the air.  The more anyone here tries to clinically evaluate us or our behavior, the worse it's going to get out of spite.  So keep rolling those dice.  We're not telling you how to live, so leave us be.  If you hate us, we stand to lose nothing."  Marissa's look was one that dared them to keep pressing her.

"Now, with that out of the way, let's continue.  Shame too, I was all wound up in hoping to see you and Etienne together... now, just like that, I could care less.  Almost like you excel at being blind when someone is extending an olive branch." She looked to Devin.  "I see why you can't stand her."

Devin just offered a 'told you so' shrug.  "So, if I may, I think we should work assignments. With so many of us, we can't be trompsing around Shelly, we'd all look like idiots.  So, I think we need to split up.  Cass, this is your board.  Before everyone has a moment to all speak up and talk mad shit about what they think they should do... I think you need to spearhead this.  Pick the teams and tell us what we need to do, so we can get it done.  We gotta start scratching some things off our lists."

Cassandra was looking at the board, listening to the complaints and mulling them over, but also thinking about steps.

"Okay. We have Etienne, we have the Rez. I also want to start putting feelers out around the prison and hospital, but.." Abruptly she looked over at Clara.

"Hey. Etienne was supposed to be trying to use you to get to the genetics lab right? Is that something you can actually do? Like, for us I mean. I kinda want to see what Cook was interested in so much. If he's using a spy, it must be a place he doesn't have eyes."

She frowned then and added, "Assuming that was true. But even so, it'd be good to try to have a look."

"Also, Devin...are you on board for a little zappy B&E if necessary? I'm thinking there's no way any of us can get legit access to the prison or hospital records...but we might be able to cover for you to do your thing."

"Hey, we're putting people in comas and playing football with super powers... fuck standards of propriety and ethics, right guys!?"  He threw his arms out in a shrug.

"Yeah, I'm down.  Whatever we gotta do, saving Shelly is too important to worry about a few laws."

Clara rolled her eyes at Marissa and Devin. They wanted to be jerks and not be called on it, which simply wasn't going to happen - neither Clara, nor she hoped the majority of the people in the room had such low self-esteem not to stand up to their behavior. "I didn't tell you how to live either, Marissa. I said if you didn't want to be seen as a bitch, you shouldn't act like one all the time. Nor do I care about your interest or lack thereof in my relationship. Get over yourself."

To Cass she said, "I don't think we should be asking people to commit crimes. For a bunch of reasons, but let's just go with 'taking shortcuts becomes a habit'. As for getting into the labs, like I said before, we'll either need to come clean to my parents, make up some other reason we need to use the lab, or see if we can get the Blackfeet to act as a screen for us if we're coming clean with them. If we're doing the first, I think that's something we all need to agree on, since it would out everyone to my parents."

"Yeah," Cassandra shrugged and said to Devin, "Lets try to avoid more comas though. Breaking a few laws to find out secret information that will help a lot of people is a LOT easier on my conscience than attacking people. No offense, Jase, but there it is."

Then to Clara she said, "Normally I'd agree, but the prison is bad news. We'll never, EVER get access to what's in there if we play by the rules. The hospital...we can try to stay legit on that. In the end though, I'm with Devin. This is a really big deal. If we have to color outside the lines, I think it's worth it."

She looked at the board again.

"I'd like to have Sara at the Rez, but we NEED her to do the Etienne thing. No one else can. So lets have Clara, Jase and Sara go see Etienne first. If he won't play ball, then we have a team for the Rez. If he will...hopefully it won't take long and they can still do it."

"Devin, you're with me. I know the prison better than most of us...and they know ME, so it'll be really easy for me to stage a diversion. Plus, I can use my ability to help you find a target location. I think what we want are inmate medical records. If there was any bullshit going down there, it was probably done as part of medical exams or treatments."

"As for Sean, maybe he can get dirt on this company that owns the prison. I'm thinking it must have ties to Cook somehow, lets see if we can prove it. He can check out Dr Cook while he's at it...there must be records of him if he worked for the government. And...." she thought for a second. "Maybe see if we can figure out where this surveillance Cook has is. That's a lot on his plate though, I'll work it out with him when he's back."

Lona picked that moment to pitch in, "What if I can get into the prison to do a performance?"

Cass stared at her, flabbergasted. "You can do that?!"

She shrugged. "Maybe?"

"Holy shit that would be amazing! Okay, you're with me and Devinnnnwait." Cassandra scowled. "No, if you're doing that, they'll see me and immediately think I'm up to something. Okay. Revision. I'll work the research with Sean. Lona, you and Devin can do the prison...and...take Cade with you. He can be the roadie or something. Work it out, it's too big a job for just two people."

She looked around. "Laurie...lets have you Charlie check out the hospital. Oh! And Lilly has connections there, so she can go with you. I'll talk to them, get them on board. You guys will want to see what you can find out about the place...who owns it, what the history is. Find some old-timers you know? Get some stories." She paused, then added, "And...not advocating any CRIMES...but if you happen to have an opportunity to nab medical records for us, and maybe our parents...well that could be really useful in trying to figure out what Cook did and how."

There was a long pause, quiet pause after laid out the plan.  The twins listened and Devin offered up a roll of the eyes as Cass announced him to team up with Cade... who once again, couldn't be bothered to show.

"Finished?"  Marissa asked.

Cass looked at the board and noticed a few new bullet points.  "Well there is the matter of-"

"Good," Marissa cut her off and stood to face everyone, addressing the group as a whole she stood with the poise of someone bred for public office.  "I wanted to talk about yesterday.  Despite completely losing my shit and somehow asking Autumn to hang out with me sometime," she shuddered visibly.  "My brother had a long talk-"

"-what she saw, what I saw,"  Devin cut into the verbal dance the twins excelled at.  "And all the screaming and yelling and near loss of a national treasure aside," no one missed the way he adjusted himself at the mention of 'national treasure'.  "Emjay came up with a sound theory.  It's just theory... but we have fuck all else at the moment."

"I saw the tree."  She continued.  "It is Shelly.  Meaning, spirituality, that it and Shelly are connected.  It didn't dawn on me until I was eating breakfast with Charlie this morning.  He's miserable.  All of you are miserable in some fashion.  We all have problems.  All of Shelly has problems... this place is where happiness goes to die."

She stood straight and started to communicate as much with her hands as she did her words.  "Shelly isn't a town, it's a trough.  This entity is feeding on our misery and most of all, our fear.  When we were attacked Jason and Deej were doing pretty well, but when we freaked out, it moved faster, recovered swifter, it *healed*.  Then everyone else shows up and now we're all freaking out, and rightfully so-"

"-big vagina faced monster.  First for all of uss," Devin shook his hands to symbolize fear.  "Very scary.  Not faulting anyone, we can't all be the heroes like stoic Jason and Cade... one who can't be bothered and another who celebrated with shakes and attempted murder!  Yaaaay!"

Marissa scowled at Devin and cocked her head with an insulting smile.  "Do mind?"

"No, no... not at all..."  Her stepped backed and swooped his arms forward for her to retake the stage.  "Please, continue."

"Thank you.  Asshat."  She sighed and composed herself before looking back the crowd.  "The more of us who were there,scared as hell, the faster it healed.  Our fears made it impossible to beat that thing.  Except Jase, but for those of us who are normal, functioning members of society and not part of Dexter fan club, we're screwed... unless."

She paused for effect, then continued on.  "We beat that thing at it's own game.  Shelly is miserable and bland because this parasite is attached to it, seeping out all the decency and joy.  We have one year-ish.  We need to fix our town.  We need to engage it's people and get this place living again.  Turn it back into a community where people aren't afraid to live in fear of what's lurking in the shadows waiting to murderdilate them and throw them through plate glass windows.  We need to make..." she looked away like she was going to be sick.  "...and I can't believe I'm about to say this... a happier place live."

Devin stepped forward.  He patted his sister on the back.  "I know, I know... sunshine and rainbows... your poison, take it slow... breathe."  He addressed the group.  "Essentially, we poison the tree at its roots.  With a bit of community gatherings, fund raisers, events... all things to keep the city a bit less moodier."

"Start with the school,"  Marissa sighed.  "You all, believe it or not, are respective leaders in one of the various cultures or subcultures within our school... come on, its 300 people big, we're not proposing rocket science.  With my clout and popularity I can raise you god like status so you can remove the Courtneys and Chets and Liams from being a problem to other students.  Defend the weak, shelter the sad... all that dumb morality shit you nerds are into.  With the quality of life improved, we should be able to pick out the poisoned minds among us.  Then, the work begins on Shelly.  3,000 people are not hard to manipulate if you know how... I interned with the mayor so thankfully, I know how."

"It won't beat this thing, but it might weaken it.  We have a year to break a centuries old cycle... and time's ticking."  She stepped from the table and sat back down, crossing her legs the CEO she believed she would one day be.

Devin applauded.  "Still has my vote for 'who never accept an apple from', folks.  Woo!"  She flipped him off and smirked.  "It's all theory, but it might work.  We're not dealing science, we're dealing... with something else.  We're trying to think outside the box, here."

"Metaphysics."  Jason said in his usual quiet fashion.  Devin glanced at him with some asperity.

"Metawhatsits to you too." he said, eyes narrowing.  Jason smiled very slightly.

"It means 'we're not dealing with science'.  I'm saying I think you're right."  he nodded at Marissa and Devin.  "We've already theorised that the Dark feeds on misery, violence and terror.  The worst crimes have usually been loved ones turning on loved ones, friends falling out, that manner of thing."  His brow furrowed.  "And if I had thought of that last night, I'd have acted differently."  It was not remorse, as such, but it was an acknowledgement that his actions had been unsound.  Intellectual regret might have been the best way to put it.

"I might not feel fear, but I feel anger when my friends are threatened.  I was enraged in the woods yesterday - it's entirely possible that fury - the urge to cause pain, however justified - feeds the Dark as much as misery and fear."  Jason glanced out of the window he leaned beside, the light gleaming in his green eyes.  "Negative emotions countered with positive emotions..." he mused.  "It makes very good sense."  He glanced back at the others.

"I was going to seek some help with my... issue of having no middle gears.  Now, I'm doubly certain it is needed.  Because as it stands, I am a hindrance." he admitted with a troubled expression in his eyes.  He looked at them all, plainly struggling with something.

"I find myself in a unique position of actually needing help.  From those of you who wish to extend it, at any rate."  His smile was wryly self-deprecating, though his gaze was serious.  "I cannot help how I am made, but I can choose how to play the hand I am dealt.  And that will be hard."  Before those who weren't quite aware of 'how he was made' could speak up, he continued.

"As for Marissa's idea: I'm in favour.  Cutting off the food source will weaken our foe.  Perhaps enough that we can defeat it, or at least drive it into hibernation of some kind."  He looked at Marissa.  "So how do we begin this campaign?"

Lilly walked back into the barn and stood among the flowers as she listened to the others speak. She could hear them much better than she would have weeks, or maybe even days ago. In fact, it was like all of her senses had been enhanced. She could smell the flowers betters and more clearly pick out nuances of each of theirs scents. The colors were a little more vibrant and everything was a little sharper in focus.

She walked among the flowers for a few moments, enjoying the vibrancy of life they represented and even emanated, centering herself, and the headed toward the stairs. She walks up them slowly, still listening, and though she was not particularly trying to sneak, she was mindful about the noise she made, not wanting to distract from the conversation above. 

"We start with the thing we have the most control over. Ourselves." Lilly said from the stairs where she stood, one hand resting on the railing.

"That means doing our best not to spread misery and the like. We set an example and lead by it, even if people are not fully aware of it. It is a lot like how you change the culture on a team that has declined and feeds into their own failure and misery.

"Some of us already do it, or at least try try to. While for others, making such a change, will have an even greater impact and set an even better example for people, especially the youth of the town who will be its future." she said, not naming names, as if it mattered. 

"From there, we can build on some of the pre-existing joy there is in Shelly. Like football, for example. And that's not just me talking because I am the quarterback either." she countered before anybody could say anything about it.

"Last season, I replaced the QB part way through the season and gave Shelly their first season ever with more wins than losses. All summer there was a cautious optimism from a town that had been disappointed for so many years. People were guarded, but also hopeful. Last night was full of happiness, joy, hope. Like most small towns in middle American, football is king and something pretty much the whole town gets behind. When the team does poorly, the town is depressed, but when the team does well, then you can practically feel the excitement. And though it might not have been for us or our table last night, the rest Bunnee's was alive, joyful and excited. People were celebrating, that's why I was pulled away for the table. I could see the joy and excitement on people's faces as they congratulated those of us on the team.

We support the team and even the cheerleaders. We help make banners showing support. We do boosters events and stuff. I am sure I can even get the team to do stuff like charity car washes, roadside clean ups and the like, so the team gives back to help make Shelly a better place, spreading the hope and good will around. I'm gonna do my part and everything in my power to try and get us a state championship, which would be the first state championship for Shelly. If that happens? Watch out. The town will be over the moon, and will be even more excited, hopeful and optimistic about next season, and that will stick it to The Dark." she explained as she walked into the room proper.

"We also get business to donate supplies or money and we organize stuff where we beautify the town by repainting, cleaning up lots and trash, planting. We do stuff for the elderly and infirm at the hospital, be it bringing them food or performing some of their favorite country songs, or even just visiting with them. You would not believe how lonely some of them are and how just talking with them for a little bit can mean so much to them and their health. Not to mention, some of them are encyclopedias of knowledge about Shelly and it's history. They are a resource we need to tap too. Online research is great, but it does not match firsthand accounts and history from people who lived it or had oral history passed down.

We build up school spirit, support the other teams, promote the plays and musicals and, like suggested, check Courtney and the others like her, because we are not going to let their attitudes and pettiness endanger everything. The Fair is such a big deal, well, we can set up smaller things, like "Shelly Days" or something where we celebrate Shelly and give people more chances to carouse and be happy, take pride in their town. We do similar stuff for the reservation too, trying to strengthen bonds even more. We all act as force multipliers, organizing things and getting people motivated." she said as she walked over, picked up a piece of pizza, and took a seat.

Marissa was about answer Jason when when Lilly swept in and took over the conversation like common politeness and decorum were aging, useless concepts.  "Well, she has it all figured out and I'm sure by the time it's done she'll even say it was her idea all along.  'I was gonna suggest that anyways', or somesuch drivel.  Well, you guys enjoy, this is obviously her show now.  We'll be on our way if there is nothing else."

"Meet you at the house," Devin said to his sister and in a blast of distorted air and a shimmer, he was gone.

Marissa made her way to the door, her 'hiking heels' (which she still swore were a thing) echoed on the cement slab of the barn's floor.  She raised her hand and waved without looking back.  "Later losers.  Good luck in your struggles.  You're gonna need it."

"It's not your show or my show, Marissa. It's our show and it always has been. I, and probably others, do not necessarily agree with every assessment of Shelly you made, but it's not total disagreement either. You have points and we need to attack The Dark from ever angle we can. You have a rather good idea and I am fully supporting it. It might end up being a game changer even." Lilly said and shrugged with a sigh.

"But if you want to go, then that's your choice. The more of us working together at this, the better though."

"I am interested in what Marissa had to say.  She might have had suggestions and insights for those of us who are not so football-centered."  Jason spoke up from his perch by the window, his voice carrying to where Mari was at the door as his intent gaze fixed on Lilly.  "When I ask someone a question, I do prefer that they themselves answer it.  I also would prefer manners from people who are my guests."

He turned his pale eyes to the girl at the door.

"I'm sorry that you were cut off, Marissa.  It was rude, and I would appreciate if you would stay at least long enough to answer my question.  Not that you owe it to anyone, but call it a kindness."

Marissa stopped.  Right now she hated Jason, not for what he did to Liam (though she'd not admit it), but for he did to her to get to Liam.  Their problems would have to wait, however.

"I could leave," she said without turning around.  "I'm not wanted, and I assure you that's not a complaint on my part."  She spun around slowly and faced everyone again.  "We're not friends.  Remember?  I think that's the disconnect here in that you think I'm shooting for friendship.  I made it clear, to all of you, that this was my brother's idea and I was just along for the giggles.  Bet a few of you forgot that along the way, didn't you?  Shame, you're supposed to be such a smart, attentive bunch.  I guess that's just on your Saturday night character sheets, huh?  My only hurt in all this is that you disappointed my brother, because he really did like all of you, why, I've no idea, and now?  It doesn't matter."

"This isn't about me, or how I feel about all of you.  It's about a monster coming to feed on our identities and frankly, even if you don't like me, you have to agree with me when I say, that plain sucks."  She approached the table slowly.  "All of you are direct ins to every clique in the school.  Lona, the music crowd.  Charlie, the drama kids.  Sara the impoverished," she raised her hand to halt complaints before they started.  "It's not a shot, it's an actual demographic.  Jason, the outcasts.  Cade, sports.  Sean, technophiles... and cross dressers."  There was an awkward silence... "Okay, that was a shot.  Clara, the overachievers.  My brother, the mysoginist bros who think they're funny, but not."  She raised a finger.  "Aaand, shot."

"We can't kick down the doors and beat Courtney at her own game.  We need to be subtle.  I honestly hate the bitch, but she's gotten bad, people.  Real bad.  I think she might be a Shade."

"A Shade?"  Jason asked.

"What Devin and I call people who are... infected, for lack of a better term, by The Dark.  I'll back all of you.  Essentially I can make you popular by proxy.  The result will be you becoming kings and queens in your respective domains, overnight.  That means you can begin to shift the social paradigms subtly.  Be more inclusive, be leaders, be people others can look up to and respect.  In essence,"  she sighed and let her persistent evil smirk fade to a mournful frown.  "Be everything Devin and I weren't.  Courney will be forced to either conform to the new popularity standard, or she'll wig the hell out and we'll know she's a Shade."

"Athletes are already popular," Jase offered.

"True, but even their popularity can be bolstered.  Just as mine can by the support of other cliques.  We're not talking me ruling the school while you serve the queen, I'm proposing helping you all get your foot in the door, then once there I let other see me supporting you, then you work together to unify Shelly and its students.  It'll take time, maybe later than Valentine's Day... but we can control the school and stop Courtney and her goons before they hurt someone else."

She straightened and crossed her arms.  "No promises, but we might be able to manage a slow motion walk down the hall looking like bad asses while everyone on the sidelines looks like they wish they were us.  If you control the cliques, you control the school.  It'll be messy and all out war, but for those of you who don't know how... I can teach you to be popular... and stylish.  Concessions will have to be made, like getting some of you prettier."  Her gaze turning to Clara didn't go unnoticed.  "Ten percent of Shelly's population is the High School class.  Twenty percent are their parents, another ten percent are younger siblings in lower grades... we pull this off and set a standard, we can have thirty or fourty percent of people willing to listen and help their kids make their neighborhood a nicer place to live... and if I repeat that, I may vomit."  She paused and exbaled slowly.

"That said, the thought of you guys being in charge of anything makes me dryer than Cass's ashy elbows," she looked at Cass.  "Seriously, girl, it's called lotion, look into it, but desperate times call for desperate measures.  Now, my brother is waiting for me, so think it over.  Oh, and Lona, you've been eyeballing me all night.  I'll be in my car for five minutes checking my social media.  The passenger door will be unlocked.  The rest is on you.  I'm really leaving this time."

She turned to leave and slid her slid her phone from the thigh pocket of her leggings.  Tapping away at keys as she left.

"Wow, 'ashy' elbows. I can't tell if she's trying hard to be nice, so that's just a tiny bit of evil seeping out, or if she's just having an off night," Cass replied with a chuckle after Mari had breezed on out.

"But given that Mari was literally about to sprout wings made of rainbows and a unicorn horn for suggesting we save Shelly with the power of friendship, Imma give that a free pass."

She looked at the others.

"I didn't see what some of you saw, so I can't say much...but as a theory, it's testable, so I like it. Lets test it. Lets give it a whirl. We won't be making anyone's life harder doing it, and it might really help. I also have some ideas about the Tree. I wanna see just how deep its roots go."

Cass shrugged. "Devin picked a tree as an image to scare people a long time ago, but I want to know if that's unique to him, or if it's town-wide. I have some ideas about how to do it too. There may be people that are more sensitive to it, or more vulnerable. If we can work that link out, it could give us an idea about how to focus our work."

With a glance at the spot he'd vanished from, she took out her phone as well and texted him.

\\Hey, can we talk sometime about the tree? Not just what you guys said now, but how it all started for you?\\

The response came quickly.

\\Not much to talk about. It just came out of nowhere, like a good comeback. Felt like the natural thing to say, and it worked so I kept saying it. That's all.\\

She texted a quick 'thx' back and looked at the rest of the Fellowship.

"We have a lot of bread spread across a lot of ovens. Lets focus on what we have in front of us right now, get moving on that. This other stuff is tomorrow's plan."

• Nina locked this topic
  • Nina unlocked this topic
6 hours ago, Bannon said:

"I am interested in what Marissa had to say.  She might have had suggestions and insights for those of us who are not so football-centered."  Jason spoke up from his perch by the window, his voice carrying to where Mari was at the door as his intent gaze fixed on Lilly.  "When I ask someone a question, I do prefer that they themselves answer it.  I also would prefer manners from people who are my guests."

He turned his pale eyes to the girl at the door.

"I'm sorry that you were cut off, Marissa.  It was rude, and I would appreciate if you would stay at least long enough to answer my question.  Not that you owe it to anyone, but call it a kindness."

Lilly felt her blood rise. There he was going to Mari's defense, but had failed to do the same for her earlier.

She was about to lay into him when Marissa spoke from the stair. Lilly stopped before she started and looked at the Jauntson. There was something about her tone that was different. Mari kept speaking and came back and Lilly listened. Not only listened but she saw the logic in what the other teen was saying, but not only that, she picked up that Mari wasn't talking like Mari usually talked. Yeah some of the snark was there, but it was forced and tired. At that moment she found herself empathizing with other girl.

Lilly nodded a few times and she actually like the plan. She was still angry, although that anger was more at the situations that were occurring all around her and at well, Jason, that she just didn't understand and she gave him a glare with her eyes without turning her head from watching Mari.

Marissa finished and immediately turned to leave but as she stepped away her fingers flying across her phones keyboard, Lilly spoke softly, 

"That's a good plan Marissa. It makes a lot of sense. Thanks for telling us and... and I'm sorry about interrupting you earlier." she said, owning what she did, even if she did not mean to be rude, and sincerely apologizing for it.

Marissa's fingers hesitated for just a moment noticeable by no one except herself and maybe Lilly. "Whatever, I have more important things to worry about and a lot to do to put you people on pedestals." Then with a deep breath Mari headed down the stairs.

As Mari exited, Lilly turned back to everyone else.

Lona almost followed Marissa out the door immediately, but she stopped short when Lilly said her piece to Marissa. Hovering quietly out of range so she didn’t eavesdrop, she listened to Cass talk business, nodding as the blond girl spoke. Lona added, “I’m going to use my in with the prison, assuming that works, to try to improve their spirits, too. Their misery has to be contributing.”

Spotting Marissa exiting, Lona nodded to those in the room, murmuring, “Now, excuse me, I’ll be right back.”

With that, Lona headed down the stairs and outside. True to her word, Marissa sat in her car, her ever present phone in hand. Lona opened the door and slipped in carefully. Despite that, Marissa said, “Watch the leather.”

“Of course. I know you don’t want to be here,” Lona said, “so I’ll make it quick. First, your idea is great, and I wanted to tell you that. It feels right to me, and I think it’s awesome. Credit where due.”

Marissa didn’t look away from her phone, but her scrolling slowed.

“Second, I’m going to ask that when I’m being stupid or endangering others, tell me to my face,” Lona said softly. “Last night… I was scared and upset and not thinking, and if you’d pointed out that not reporting Liam was putting others at risk, I would have heard you. If you can do that, in exchange, if you start with the words, ‘Lona, you’re being an idiot’ I swear I will listen to what you tell me. I may not agree with you, but I will listen. That’s double for stuff you tell me about how to rise to the top of the social hierarchy at school, ‘cause I have no clue about that shit.

“Third,” Lona paused as a flush darkened her cheeks, though Marissa was still watching her screen rather than the other girl. Lona was sure that she could hear the heat in her face as she continued, “I appreciate the encouragement about your brother. Yesterday was pretty shit, and your text was one of two bright spots in it. Thank you.”

"It's not my place to tell you that, Lona.  It's your friend's, a detail that I don't recall them bringing up, but then again, I left in hurry.  Not for your sake, but for Liam's.  Besides, you have momma Clara looking out for you, you'll be fine."  Wow, vitriol much?

"Liam?"  Lona asked.  "I dont... oh."

"I don't have magical mind powers.  Neither does Liam, and we're living in a town where monsters happen.  I can't look at someone, anyone and just say they're bad.  I don't know, if they're messed up, bad, or just having a bad day or The Dark has made them a Shade and they're just being driven to stupidity.  I'm not defending him, but in a way I am... I hope that he did what he did because he's not the piece of shit he made himself out to be."

"You fed him to Jason, Lona.  Not a judgment, just a fact.  You need to be careful what you say around him.  He's an animal and I had to get to the Sheriff before Jason got to Liam.  That's why I'm mad at him.  Jason had plenty of time to think about his actions and how to handle the situation.  It wasn't 'heat of the moment' or a 'crime of passion'.  Malice aforethought, Lona.  Look it up.  He knew exactly what he was doing and did exactly what he wanted to do.  Watch your back is all I'm saying, drunks always say they'd never hit their kids... until they do.  How long before one of you push the wrong button for him and his big brain decides you're just another meat puppet for his telekinetic assault and battery practice?"

She set her phone on the console and it lit up on the induction charger built into the car.  Must be nice, Lona thought.  Having all these fancy toys.  "I'm sorry that it was you, no person should have that happen to them, for what it's worth.  And... you're welcome."

“I told Liam to run,” Lona said, “and if anyone asked, I would have said it was because of a number of people, even my brother. I could have seen him driving up four hours to beat the crap out of Liam. But I was afraid that Jase would go too far.”

“Which he did,” Marissa said firmly.

“He did,” Lona agreed, shifting a little at her discomfort of agreeing with the Mantis. “I’ve talked to him, but if something like this happens again, he won’t get told. None of them will. I only said something because I used Shine to get away, and I wasn’t thinking that no one would believe him. Not until Cass pointed out that no one else in Shelly knows we live in a town of monsters.”

Lona shrugged a little. “I wasn’t thinking, and I fucked that up. I know that. Jase made his choices, but he wouldn’t have known it was an option until after Liam was arrested if I’d done things right. Something for me to deal with. You may not be judging, but its all I can think since Lilly told me he was in the hospital.” She blinked fiercely against the tears that threatened, determined not to cry. 

“Anyway, have a good night, Marissa.” She started to get out of the car, then paused and glanced at her, uncertain of the reception her words would receive but hoping that the volatile girl would receive them in the spirit Lona offered them. “If you need my help, it’ll be just my help. If someone is hurting you, anyone, you can call, and I’ll be there, just me, okay? I may not be able to do much with my Shine, but I’ll do what I can for you. And Devin.” No one gets left behind.

"I wasn't judging Lona."  Marissa reiterated in a calm tone.  "It's done, and this experience is a tool to learn in case you ever have an incident like this again.  I'm not one to belive in God, Lona, but with what we've seen, I don't know.  I do know that all of you have been blessed with amazing abilities and now you have a tough choice ahead of you.  Hero?  Or villain?  I don't envy the weight on your shoulders, girlfriend."

She sighed and with a sudden shooing motion dismissed Lona, "Now go on.  Charlie was my bonding limit for the day and you're stinking up my car with sad songs and suicidal guitar solos... go on, shoo."

Lona got out of the car, carefully again, and shut the door. Probably did it too hard, she thought as she rejoined the others, but it was more of a bemused thought than anything else. That had been almost… pleasant, and Lona felt better as she rejoined the others in the loft of the barn. Outside, she heard the purr of Marissa’s car as it pulled away from the Bannons’ farm.

She picked up her abandoned piece of pizza and nudged Jase again. With an indulgent smile, he reheated the pizza once more. “So,” she said as she sat down and took a bite, “anything else to cover or have we done enough tonight?”

Archived