[OpNet] What would you do?

Tommy Tomorrow

I like questions, Tommy. Scalpel what you can from me with these little gems:

-I'd get the hypothetical LSD gland. Even though I can make the stuff out of Bisquick and borax in the space of half an hour, nothing beats being able to make the shit yourself. It'd like being a diabetic: if I found a way to make my own insulin, you bet the tumor growing in your skull that I'd get the operation. As for the tech regs? Fuck 'em. This is your fuckin' life you're talking about.

-I won't answer the second question. It ain't something I'm prepared to deal with.

-Do I look like a happy man to you? Sure as shit I'm not. I wouldn't pass this fuckin' curse on to anybody, Faustian pact or not. The genetic curse you all praise so highly has cost me more than you jokers can know.

-I'd swallow the fuckin' vial. Proliferate this fucking mistake even wider? You've got to be out of your fuckin' mind.

-I've got no problem with natural selection, so no to this one, too. Nobody ever goes hungry ever again? Sure. The planet would be overrun within a few generations. Next.

-I'd fuckin' deny it.

Here's what "wisdom" I have to add.

1st Question: I would take the gland just to screw the TechReg fascists. Would do so even if I could otherwise synthesize the LSD.

2nd Question: Taint I consider a natural process of the evolution of the One Race. Generally I think I would rely on...other methods to deal with a "taint" level that was proving problematic. I will say that the idea of flooding baselines with Taint has some darkly humorous moments to it. Would be a hoot to do it to some CoMA whackos and watch the fun.....

3rd Question: Anyone who I care about on a level that I would consider this is already a nova, so the question is rather academic. Sorry....

4th Question: Tough one.....I would not use it, but would keep it handy. Despite the fact that I hate nanocrap, if nanotech could make people latent novas, it might be able to make a nova into a baseline. Therefore I would keep the stuff as a "counter-agent" to any nova-neutralizing nanocrap that some Utopia stooge might create.

And would try and locate any slaphead working on a neutralizer and scatter his atoms across the solar system, of course...

5th Question: That is condemning the One Race to eventual extinction, as the Sun will eventually enter it's Red Giant phase, and later on go cool. So no, I would not do it. A few may starve now, but this would kill the future of all life on Earth.

6th Question: Quite frankly, I am happy with myself and what led me to this point in my existence and would change nothing.

I'll oblige you, Thomas.

Q1: As Machina pointed out, survival is a paramount concern. Provided doing so did not cause death to a selectably-sufficient number of sentient entities, I would take it without hesitation.

Q2: Before the cure for AIDS was discovered, there was a rare but vocal subset of men known as "virus chasers" who actually attempted to contract a deadly virus for a "thrill". I'm relatively certain that such a subculture could and would exist to acquire even a vestige of novahood if such a method was proffered, so I don't think finding subjects would be a problem. As to whether I would, well, I should think I very likely would for the same reason that I don't think it's criminal to sell people ciggies or alcohol. "All men have a right to dig their own graves", the saying goes, "and I have a right to sell them shovels."

Q3: There is nobody whom I fancy enough to give away any of my quantum endowments to who I would not be overwhelmed with grief if I was to be inadvertantly responsible for their death. The answer is no.

Q4: Empty the vial into the water supply, unquestionably. Although a serious breach of ethics, the future of our species depends upon procreation. So far as I know, many novas are still sterile, and to not do anything in my power to propogate my species would be gene suicide.

Q5: I have faced this quandary, and done so without the caveat of potential repricussions. I will not do it.

Why do people think world hunger is a problem that needs a magic wand to cure?If the only country in thee world to ever grow food was the US, the only limit to solving world hunger would be the costs of shipping. We as a wrold grow more food than we can ever hope to eat. A large amount if the not majority of food grown today is thrown away.

Q1: Since my choice appears to be between two extremely illegal alternatives, I might as well get the gland.

Q2: I take my reasearch to the general public and 5 years from now we'd be using it for the death penality.

Q3: I can already create other people and thus lays madness. I wouldn't do it.

Q4: Now THIS is a good question, not so much whether I drop it in the water, I don't, that would be illegal and unethical. The real question is whether or not such a substance should be introduced into society so everyone (or their kids) can go nova... not sure. Maybe. Maybe not. Presumably if I can create this then I've already solved the Quantum Backlash issue so I probably do.

Q5: I don't do it. We already produce more food than the collective world can eat. That people starve is a failure of politics, not food production. Any "simple" method would involve drastic changes that I shudder to think about. Altering the nature of man. Taking over the planet. Something like that. Eventually we will do both. Feed the people and expore space. I won't settle for one.

Q6: We are our history. For me to change my eruption would basically mean the death of the person writting this, and I don't think I can choose that. ... No let's expand on that.

I am not sure taking the anger out of my eruption would save the people I later killed. I am also not sure that my reasearch will eventually save far more than I killed. But that is what I believe.

Theology, philosophy, and ethics; indeed this is an intellectual board.

Question 1: Since the question hasn't established how I have been surviving before discovering this technology, I would decline immediate treatment and work towards ensuring it becomes legal technology. Of course, that's with the assumption that the technology doesn't come at the price of ending lives.

Question 2: No, I would not be willing to do it. In the simplest sense, I wouldn't want it done to me hence I won't do it to others. There are other reasons, but they seem moot in comparison.

Question 3: There are too many permutations to that question to give a complete answer. Generally, however, I would not use that ability.

Question 4: Again, the information you've provided isn't quite enough for me to give you a complete answer. If it's the authorities coming to reclaim the vial, I might return it to them. If it was people who intend to abuse the contents of the vial, I would destroy it.

Question 5: No, I wouldn't do it. Despite what many people have claimed throughout contemporary times (both baseline and nova) as well as recorded history, there are no "magic bullets" that will instantly solve all problems. From a sceptic point of view, these perfect solutions would have already been used if they exist.

Question 6: As others have noted and drawing upon another thread's discussion on how our environment affects who we are, changing any elements of my past means changing who I am. I have made mistakes, done regrettable things, and wished that I could undo any damage I've done throughout my life. But going back to tweak these little details not only means destroying who I am now, it also means risking the possibility of creating even more damage by changing events. Of course, it seems I'm taking this beyond interfering with my own eruption.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy Tomorrow:
So your answer to question number 5 is; "No, I would not take any action because people need to learn to use what they have more efficiently"?
Sure you could read it that way. I never said I think people should be feed or should not.I simply put out that question why do people think feeding the world is some sort of mythical ideal that needs some sort of magical change to take place.

1. To hell with TechReg in general. In this instance to hell with TechReg specifically.

2. Luckily, in my particular field, I've come across a lot of people that deserve worse fates than that. Not a problem.

3. No.

4. Get out of there. I don't see Novas as the ultimate end-all, be-all of existence.

5. Go to bed. People need to solve their own problems.

Quote:
... If you don't take large quantities of LSD (an extremely powerful and extremely illegal synthetic hallucinogen), you can't effectively recharge the quantum force fueling your abilities. If it came to your attention a researcher in violation of TechReg policies might be able to graft a synthetic gland into your body to supply all you would ever require, what would you do?
This is really fuckin' stupid. Since I'm stuck needin' it, and it will supply me the means to 'never go hungry again', gimme the gland. Woe to any fool who stands in my way of acquiring it too.

Quote:
... There seems to be a direct correlation with between exceedingly high levels of quantum control and what's referred to as The Taint. By sheer coincidence you've come across knowledge of a process that would enable you to bleed off the taint but at a cost. It will regenerate if not bled off into a human being. Would you be willing to do it and why? If so and knowing you have to bring the target to the clinic with you how are you going to pick them?
Fuck yeah. Show me the means and I'll 'bleed' my 'taint' off into any local shmoe. The strong rule. Since I'm stonger, fuck em, they get my quantum waste.

"You're very weak, enjoy your taint."

Quote:
... You can transfer some or all of your nova abilities beyond the basics of health to any single person. You know it will work but you also know there is an equal chance the person will be consumed by the quantum energies shortly after the transference. Would you do it? With or for who? How would you feel about the result either way? What if the ability would be forever denied to you no matter how the transference turned out?
I can already transfer my abilities with little to no risk. It's a matter of mastery over the energies. Therefore I consider this question moot.

Quote:
... Standing by the water supply of (a major city), you hold a vial of a nano based meme that will recreate the intron sequence of homo sapiens novus in the genetic structure of anyone drinking that water over the next three days. It won't cause them to erupt but they and possibly their future children will become latent novas. In the distance you hear sirens and know someone is coming to retrieve the vial from you. What do you do?
There is no reason to 'infect' future generations with our curse. What will be will be. I smash the vial and let the fools who created it lick what they wish to keep from the pavement.

Quote:
... Meditating on your quantum abilities and the nature of reality, it occurs to you there is a simple but effective way to change reality so no one need ever starve or even go to bed hungry again. Unfortunately, it will make the collective race so dependent on the Sun that to be further away than twice the orbit of Saturn will cause death quickly though painlessly. What do you do?
Fuck the people. Let them solve thier own hunger problems. Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a night. Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote:
... Knowing the circumstances of eruption influence the result, if you could change any one thing about your eruption what would it be?
The part where I actually erupted. Granted I'm over the being depressed about it, for the most part, but that doesn't mean I like being this way, nor enjoy it.

Quote:
I hope you enjoy the questions.
Not really. I had time to kill.

1) I would keep it.

2) No. I have heard there are ways to do this, and novas who can remove aberrations on a short-term basis, but I would not force it onto people. Now novaphiles looking for a cheap thrill are another matter...

3) I like being a nova too much to share, I fear.

4) Dump, shapeshift and run like demons were on my trail.

5) Most certainly not!

6) No, though I wish I had got the men trying to kill me.

... If you don't take large quantities of LSD (an extremely powerful and extremely illegal synthetic hallucinogen), you can't effectively recharge the quantum force fueling your abilities. If it came to your attention a researcher in violation of TechReg policies might be able to graft a synthetic gland into your body to supply all you would ever require, what would you do?

I would not do it. I don't believe in grafting foreign biological bodies to your body. The genetic ramifications alone I shudder to calculate.

... There seems to be a direct correlation with between exceedingly high levels of quantum control and what's referred to as The Taint. By sheer coincidence you've come across knowledge of a process that would enable you to bleed off the taint but at a cost. It will regenerate if not bled off into a human being. Would you be willing to do it and why? If so and knowing you have to bring the target to the clinic with you how are you going to pick them?

I would not even go through the process of forcing another sentient to suffer like I would. I would rather die than see an intelligent being suffer. Nova or not.

... You can transfer some or all of your nova abilities beyond the basics of health to any single person. You know it will work but you also know there is an equal chance the person will be consumed by the quantum energies shortly after the transference. Would you do it? With or for who? How would you feel about the result either way? What if the ability would be forever denied to you no matter how the transference turned out?

First off, I wouldn't do that to anyone unless they consented, and only under a contition of life-or-death. Next, if I wasn't sure they would survive, I woudln't do it. All in all, I would probably keep that aspect of my nature to myself and not grant it unless I was sure I could do it safely.

... Standing by the water supply of (a major city), you hold a vial of a nano based meme that will recreate the intron sequence of homo sapiens novus in the genetic structure of anyone drinking that water over the next three days. It won't cause them to erupt but they and possibly their future children will become latent novas. In the distance you hear sirens and know someone is coming to retrieve the vial from you. What do you do?

It's not my position to play God. Then again, those sirens aren't coming to request the vial from me. They will take it by force even if I take it willingly. And god knows what would happen to the technology once Humanity got a hold of it.

I would destroy that pandora's box.

... Meditating on your quantum abilities and the nature of reality, it occurs to you there is a simple but effective way to change reality so no one need ever starve or even go to bed hungry again. Unfortunately, it will make the collective race so dependent on the Sun that to be further away than twice the orbit of Saturn will cause death quickly though painlessly. What do you do?

That would eventually be the death sentence of Humanity, since they couldn't leave Earth before Sol went Nova. Therefore I would not curse humanity with that, nor change reality in the first place. It's just not my position in the scheme of things.

... Knowing the circumstances of eruption influence the result, if you could change any one thing about your eruption what would it be?

Nothing. I am satisfied with my current status caused by my eruption. After all, I'm pleasantly suprised on what I am now. Why feel like you need to change something that you are, and will ever be?

Quote:
Originally posted by Endeavor:
I don't believe in grafting foreign biological bodies to your body. The genetic ramifications alone I shudder to calculate.
Huh. Good fuckin' thing you're a nova and will probably never need a kidney, heart, eye, or any other kind of organ transplant, because I "shudder to calculate" where such fucking shit-for-brains, wrong-headed thinking would get you if one of your organs ever packed up on you. And by "shudder", I mean "laugh a lot". It's a good goddamn thing Sushruta didn't think that back in the second fucking century when he performed the first recorded skin graft, kind of like it's good that Alexis Carrel didn't feel that way when he figured out a way to rig up transplanted arteries and veins over a century ago.

Good to see that the bulbous, giant-eyed, tiny-mouthed head of HinoCorp is as close to the vanguard of scientific discovery as ever.

1. "Might" be able to graft? I'd be damned sure to check his references before I went under the knife. If everything checked out, yeah, I'd probably get it. I wouldn't especially mind settling into a quantum-free lifestyle again, but it does have its advantages... And one operation that would set me up for life would be infinitely more practical than a permanent dependency on the fluctuating supply of acid, not only from a cash standpoint but also considering the logistics of acquiring the stuff and avoiding prosecution as well.

2. No.

3. I would, providing that it was someone I cared for and it was necessary- meaning that said person was in mortal peril and I could prevent it by carrying out the transfer. If there was time, I'd try to get consent first. If there was no time to ask politely, since they're likely to die anyway in this situation, I'd risk it on the chance they'd survive. If it didn't work, yes, I'd be heartbroken, but at least I'd know I tried. Whether I lose the ability or not is irrelevant; if they survive, it was a worthwhile sacrifice. If it wasn't enough to save them, then my having it or not having it doesn't matter.

4. I'm not sure this one matters much, since if I've got a vial of the stuff somebody's making Kool-Aid with vats of it already. Honestly, I'd probably tuck it away somewhere for safekeeping and get the hell out of Dodge. Most of us didn't ask for what "quantum expressions" we've gotten, like pretty much everything else in life, but I don't feel qualified to decide for future generations. I also think (no offense, Ms. Hino) that shuddering like some Victorian spinster about "what humanity would do" with it is, bluntly, stupid. We used to be humanity, and I still haven't met anyone yet who's completely transcended that (or devolved utterly beyond it, take your pick.) I'd trust anyone- novas included- with it about as far as I could kick them wearing Jimmy Choos... It's not just "humankind" that has issues.

5. We're already capable of ending world hunger, as far as I know. I wouldn't make such a drastic and needless change when we've already got all the tools we need for the job.

6. Heh. Just one thing? I'd make my now ex-boss attractive. At least I wouldn't have had to watch his flab wobble when he had me on the floor. Seriously, though, I'm not going to yammer on about how I'm content with the way things turned out and what I've become, because I'm not. I just don't let what I am define who I am.

Quote:
Originally posted by Machina:
Quote:
I don't believe in grafting foreign biological bodies to your body. The genetic ramifications alone I shudder to calculate.
Huh. Good fuckin' thing you're a nova and will probably never need a kidney, heart, eye, or any other kind of organ transplant, because I "shudder to calculate" where such fucking shit-for-brains, wrong-headed thinking would get you if one of your organs ever packed up on you. And by "shudder", I mean "laugh a lot". It's a good goddamn thing Sushruta didn't think that back in the second fucking century when he performed the first recorded skin graft, kind of like it's good that Alexis Carrel didn't feel that way when he figured out a way to rig up transplanted arteries and veins over a century ago.

Good to see that the bulbous, giant-eyed, tiny-mouthed head of HinoCorp is as close to the vanguard of scientific discovery as ever.
Heh, picking apart my responses, when I believe I didn't make myself perfectly clear. Transplants given by willing donors I wouldn't consider foreign genitically. Only vat-grown parts that aren't part of the natural body. Or growing parts with non-viable bodies that are grown just for organ harvesting.

Seriously, Machina, ask for clarification next time before firing your howitzers. You're liable to incur friendly fire.

You know, Pinky, the reason it has to be abusive is because it's the only way you'll fucking listen. If I was to gently remind you that you need to make yourself more clear, there's a snowflake's chance under my sack that you'd bother, and it certainly won't make you fucking think before you post in the future.

Also, f'rchrissakes, "growing parts with non-viable bodies that are grown just for organ harvesting"? What, did you crawl into your way-back machine to write this post? The fucking insanely stupid sci-fi concept of vat-grown clones used as organ farms went out the moment stem cells came in.

Quote:
Originally posted by Machina:
Also, f'rchrissakes, "growing parts with non-viable bodies that are grown just for organ harvesting"? What, did you crawl into your way-back machine to write this post? The fucking insanely stupid sci-fi concept of vat-grown clones used as organ farms went out the moment stem cells came in.
It can be done. I've thought about it myself. Thing is, I would rather not explore the ethics of such a thing. I would rather just make the organ needed, than make a meat-sack to carry it in untill it is needed.

And yes, you're as subtle as a sledgehammer. Thanks for reminding us.

Quote:
Transplants given by willing donors I wouldn't consider foreign genitically.
Hey, big brain on bread... if you take out my heart and they put it in Machina... that's forgien genetics.

He and I are not the same genetically. Nor are you and I... or the guy who gets the kidney from the lady who died in a car accident.

Vat grown organs, used by replicating an indivduals own DNA usually assures that the patient’s genomes will be accurate. The rate of tissue rejection is sustatially reduced in vat grown organs.

In average translplants (like the guy who gets the kidney above) the mitochondrial DNA doesn't match, since we inherit that from our mothers. Thus the possibility of tissue rejection is greater.

So, regardless of what you consider, the fact reamins, grown from your own tissue is the way to go...

Quote:
Okay, I don't understand. Why would Techreg care? It's not like it's some sort of super-bomb or a maniacal A.I.

Quote:
I don't think I know anyone I hate that much.

Quote:
No. I worked hard for this. I'm not handing it out to people who haven't worked for it.

Quote:
Hell yes I throw it in. Give more folks the chance.

Quote:
I woulda said yes, but Machina made me think twice. I'm not sure.

Quote:
Made it sooner.

Q1: For preference, I would channel my quantum expression in such a way that I could produce such quantities of LSD myself. Failing that, I care nothing for Utopia's TechReg Dept, so I would at least consider the gland.

Q2: I have my own ways of dealing with Taint. This ability seems to have some utility as a punishment or 'effective teaching tool', but otherwise I would not be likely to use it. Far better to utilise my evolutionary energies for my own betterment.

Q3: I am capable of this trick already, and have used it sparingly. The transfer is not permanent, but as Revenant points out, it is simply a matter of understanding and controlling the requisite energies correctly.

Q4: Interesting. On the one hand, there is the question of 'choice' that I would be stealing from people by making them and their descendants all latent novas. On that score, I would say that none of us get that choice anyway. On the other hand, there is the imperative of our species to propogate. Seeing as very few of us are fertile, I find myself leaning firmly towards the 'drop the vial in and run like hell' camp. Choice be damned, my species deserves a shot. At least this way is better than wiping out Homo Sapiens in order to level the playing field.

Q5: I firmly believe that striving for survival is one of the factors that makes life on this fragile ball of rock so strong. To take that away from people would be to cheapen the struggles of all of their ancestors, and cheat them out of the competitive need to strive further.

Q6: I don't think there is anything I would change, to be honest. Though I run the risk of sounding fatalistic, everything that has transpired in my life has brought me to this point, this place, this moment. If anything was changed, I would not be me.

Thank you for the stimulating questions, Tommy. smile

OOC: The request to delete this thread is Denied. This is/was an In Character Thread, and roughly a dozen 3rd parties are now involved and have acted in character, and it appears late in the game to un-ring the bell. As the only reason for retroactive editing is a set of now withdrawn allegations, there doesn’t appear to be the need.

It would appear that is unnecessary to close the thread since it appears to have died on its own, but if the various participants still wish to criticize each other they are still free to do so.

Archived